In What Order Do You Rate MJ's Solo Albums

Still can't imagine Michael saying anything is his best. Being such a perfectionist he'd probably always think an album could be better.

So did Michael say after 1979-1980 that Off the Wall was still his favorite album? If he didn't then we can't know what his favorite album later was.

He didn't publicly say it after that time.

Days, its just a big deal because you have no source. We can't just say something and expect it not to be questioned. Especially a grandiose comment like Michael said Off The Wall was his favourite album. No one else has backed you up so that is the reason for the debate.

So did Michael say after 1979-1980 that Off the Wall was still his favorite album? If he didn't then we can't know what his favorite album later was.

But the thing is that he (or she) didn't even provide a source that he really said something like that in 1979-1980. And it's not "his favourite album" but "his best album":

"Off The Wall is the best album he ever did, MJ said so himself"

Days, its just a big deal because you have no source. We can't just say something and expect it not to be questioned. Especially a grandiose comment like Michael said Off The Wall was his favourite album. No one else has backed you up so that is the reason for the debate.

Same thing i wrote in my last post.

why would it be so grandiose for.....I don't see why this is a big deal.....

it's just like MJ said (even though he tried to surpass), and he knows Thriller is the best video he ever did and the greatest video of all time and there's no doubt the greater public will agree to that..

I never said I didn't have a source

if Michael said Invincible was his best album, would that be considered a grandiose statement.....

when I first said earlier this month that MJ said the happiest moments of his career happened when he recorded the Thriller/Off The WAll albums, I was questioned.....

it's just like MJ said (even though he tried to surpass), and he knows Thriller is the best video he ever did and the greatest video of all time and there's no doubt the greater public will agree to that..

Smooth Criminal is the greatest video he's ever done. And in Private Home Movies, Michael said that he got more comments about Smooth Criminal than anything else he's done

Last edited:
Smooth Criminal is the greatest video he's ever done. And in Private Home Movies, Michael said that he got more comments about Smooth Criminal than anything else he's done

Thriller is the mother of all videos....deep down everyone knows....in the Philippines, u had inmates, hundreds of them performing the dance choreography to that video some 26 years after the fact....

you hear more and more stories and we see clips of people re=creating those dances steps to this day, especially during parties at Halloween

the day the Thriller video premiered the entire nation literally was blown away by it and that's all u heard was people talking about it.....

it was so great, Michael even rehired John Landis to direct his Black and White video in an attempt to recreate that response to that Thriller video......

if a year poll was taken across the board, not just buy fans but by the greater public at large, Thriller is going to win it

Smooth Criminal was awesome...#2

.......but that Thriller thrilled the nation and the world

when the video came out, from 1983 to the beginning of 1985, u saw kids, teenagers, and young adults, along w/older adults out and about doing those dance steps....

The "Ghosts" video was really Thriller 2....

I would rather for people to find the proof themselves, that way, when they find it, it will be more profound than if someone showed them directly :D

Oh, so you don't have anything to back it up and it's just your opinion rather than MJ's. Or you are trolling.

Oh, so you don't have anything to back it up and it's just your opinion rather than MJ's. Or you are trolling.

I'm not trolling......

why would this be so hard to believe.......

when u find it, u will see it for yourself......may take some digging though :D

I've listened to MJ'S music for far too long to make things up....I have all his studio albums, the special editions, and don't believe in distorting one's musical contribution...

If Michael said it in 1979-1980 it doesn't really mean anything now. He could have easily changed his mind later when he did more solo albums. Also it doesn't mean that he thinked Off the Wall was still his favorite album just because (if)he said that he had the most fun making it. :)

Last edited:
Thriller is the mother of all videos....deep down everyone knows....in the Philippines, u had inmates, hundreds of them performing the dance choreography to that video some 26 years after the fact....

you hear more and more stories and we see clips of people re=creating those dances steps to this day, especially during parties at Halloween

the day the Thriller video premiered the entire nation literally was blown away by it and that's all u heard was people talking about it.....

it was so great, Michael even rehired John Landis to direct his Black and White video in an attempt to recreate that response to that Thriller video......

if a year poll was taken across the board, not just buy fans but by the greater public at large, Thriller is going to win it

Smooth Criminal was awesome...#2

.......but that Thriller thrilled the nation and the world

when the video came out, from 1983 to the beginning of 1985, u saw kids, teenagers, and young adults, along w/older adults out and about doing those dance steps....

The "Ghosts" video was really Thriller 2....

Thriller is by far his most popular video. But being more popular doesn't automaticly make it better

Last edited:
when I first said earlier this month that MJ said the happiest moments of his career happened when he recorded the Thriller/Off The WAll albums, I was questioned.....

No, you did not. You were questioned about saying: "Off The Wall is the best album he ever did, MJ said so himself" - just like you said it here.

it's just like MJ said (even though he tried to surpass), and he knows Thriller is the best video he ever did

Again, I never saw an interview where he said that. I watched MTV interview where he said that his favourite videos are Thriller & Smooth Criminal or something like that. Please give us the link..

If Michael said it in 1979-1980 it doesn't really mean anything now. He could have easily changed his mind later when he did more solo albums. Also it doesn't mean that he thinked Off the Wall was still his favorite album just because (if)he said that he had the most fun making it. :)

if he could have easily changed his mind later, then why is it hard to conceive the idea that he didn't change his mind......

like I said, I really don't see why this is such a big deal.......

nobody knows everything about Michael Jackson and what he thought or said

there's some fans who may know more about things from the beginning of his solo career than others

and then u have fans who know more about events of the latter stages of his solo career than someone who was more familiar w/the beginning of his career....

is that fair to say?

if he could have easily changed his mind later, then why is it hard to conceive the idea that he didn't change his mind......

there's some fans who may know more about things from the beginning of his solo career than others

and then u have fans who know more about events of the latter stages of his solo career than someone who was more familiar w/the beginning of his career....

is that fair to say?
The problem is that he said it when his other albums weren't recorded. So at this point it was his best album.

But like you said nobody knows if he changed his mind or not. But that means also that he easily could and so we can't say that he liked OTW the most. I guess it wasn't his favourite album but that's just what i think. Just because bad is not as personal as others. ;)

is that fair to say?

ok saying "it may take some searching" has me bored of this discussion with you now. Either give a source or dont expect to be taken seriously in a discussion. Very frustrating answer, and quite off putting to be so smug

Anyway, would anyone consider lobbing BOTF in with Dangerous considering most of the songs were from around this time?

The problem is that he said it when his other albums weren't recorded. So at this point it was his best album.

Does anyone have a source of him saying that back then? Because I've never heard/seen or read anywhere about Michael talking about that. Ever.

Anyway, would anyone consider lobbing BOTF in with Dangerous considering most of the songs were from around this time?

Yeah, it's more Dangerous than HIStory. But it's mixture of both. 3 Dangerous era tracks and 2 HIStory era tracks (Is It Scary and Morphine).

1. Bad
2. Off The Wall
3. Thriller
4. Dangerous
5. History
6. Invincible

This list rarely changes.

Sharing a source with other MJ fans that states Michael's album preferences (implied or spoken) during any time of his life should not be a difficult task when information and videos are readily available on the Internet.

Michael mentions his happiest time during the 2008 Good Morning America "Happy Birthday" interview here:

Birthday interview on Good Morning America
Interview year: 2008

Chris Connelly: Michael, happy birthday! How are you?

Michael Jackson: God bless you. I am fine thank you.

Connelly: How do you feel turning 50?

Jackson: Oh, I don't feel any different. I am fine actually – I am just having a wonderful time. Just relaxing, I am just watching a little James Brown show right now.

Connelly: Is that right?

Jackson: I love James Brown, yes.

Connelly: As you look back on 50 years, when do you think you were the happiest?

Jackson: The happiest? Oh boy, probably the recording of "Thriller" and the "Off the Wall" albums. That meant very much to me and seemed to be received so beautifully by the public and the world, you know. It was a time I enjoyed it very much.

Connelly: What was the most special thing about that experience for you? What moment do you remember most happily?

Jackson: That I could compose and write music and get to share it with the masses and the people around the world and to have them to receive it so beautifully – I love that. That's what I spend a lot of time doing. I love composing and writing music and dancing and performing and conceptualizing creatively for visual mediums. I love to create.

Connelly: If you could pick one song, which one song is your greatest achievement?

Jackson: Oh boy, that's a hard one. I love 'We are the world' to 'Billie Jean,' to 'Thriller,' to so many different songs.

Please stop the name-calling and accusations, this is not worth fighting over. Just agree to disagree and move on. But calling people trolls, accusing them of trolling, is not necessary.

Please do continue to rate Michael's solo albums.

Back