Incredible lifelike Michael Jackson Thriller bust [Update] The Creator comments in our thread

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

But yeah, there are still inconsistencies in the sculpt, especially in the ears. I'm going to address the changes in the BAD sculpt. :)

Here's some pics of the BAD sculpt I'm working on.

Still reworking parts of the nose and adding the cleft in the chin. Also, the ears are being worked on too. So far, everything's subtle in changes, not like Michael was that different in appearance from Thriller to Bad other than the cleft, skin color and other small changes (did he have another nose job between Thriller and Bad?)

Be back soon with more pics when I'm done!

badcomp1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!! That comment means alot to me. For the Bad, I have been gathering alot of photos from that era. Obviously, some changes to his nose and added cleft to the chin. Are there any other details I should add?

After this Thriller, I'm going to do one more Thriller era torso (Billie Jean 25th Motown peformance). I've done a Beat It version already. :)

Firstly amazing work...scary good and hats off to ya for the years you put into it! Any chance of seeing the Beat it version?

Dude, it's great to see you posting here. When i saw the photos on Sideshow Collectors forum i just had to post them here. And all the positive replies you are getting here are 100% earned. Your work is beyond incredible,and someone here said that its MUCH better than those other wax figures from madam tussaauds and what not...i 100000% agree. Most of the time i find them very inaccurate and simply ugly.

Another pic:

comp2.jpg

How's the cleft look everyone? Still need to fix the ears. I'm pretty terrible at sculpting ears for some reason...

-Joe

Last edited:
WOW! WOW! And WOW!!! What a talent you have! These are truly amazing. How long does it take you to finish a piece?

WOW! WOW! And WOW!!! What a talent you have! These are truly amazing. How long does it take you to finish a piece?

Thanks!

To sculpt this, it took me a LONG time. Off and on, almost two years. Still not done yet either. I really want a near accurate MJ (from the Thriller and Bad eras).

To paint/construct, it all depends on my mood. ;)

-Joe

Amazing!

Like many already have mentioned, your work is better than Madame Tussauds.

Cleft looks identical to the photo, good job.

This is just amazing,,,you are so talented. Yours is the best that I have seen. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your photo's with us. I look foward to seeing the Bad one to completion. :)

This is incredible, the likeness extraudinary!!
Cannot wait to see the finished Bad, I know you mentioned the Beat it bust is at the Julians auctions, but will you be showing any of these anywhere else?

This is incredible, the likeness extraudinary!!
Cannot wait to see the finished Bad, I know you mentioned the Beat it bust is at the Julians auctions, but will you be showing any of these anywhere else?

Thanks! I'll try and have a pic up here of the Beat It soon.

I just noticed a big flaw on my previous busts that I've corrected big time. The right side of his temple/cheek area was too sucked in my previous busts. So I've made the side a bit fuller. Here's a quick comparison (the circled area is the are I corrected):

Mjcheek.jpg

I've actually added more to the side since this pic so now it looks pretty close in size to MJ. Also, still need to further tweak the ears. ;)

-Joe

amazing work.

Thanks!

Another shot of the bust today:

pootietang.jpg

Still need to get the sides of skul more symettrical.

Also, here's what a fan (Ruggiart) did with Photoshop and my Thriller bust. As you can see, the Bad version will look pretty Bad ASS!

f58b5298bbe2d86dabf54808b48553cc-d5f7anx.jpg

Looks like it's going to turn out very well. Will this go on ebay?

can't wait to see the BAD one! :woohoo: keep up the great work! :D

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

I had a question for all you MJ experts: Everyone always says how different he looks from the Thriller and Bad eras. With the obvious addition of the chin cleft and the lighter skin, I don't think he had another nose job. But maybe I'm wrong? What do you guys think in this pic comparison? (Keep in mind his lips are widened on the Thriller pic so it stretches the nose out a bit).

badvsthriller_zps2a14225b.jpg

michael-jacksongold_zps2b5ba37f.jpg

-Joe

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

I had a question for all you MJ experts: Everyone always says how different he looks from the Thriller and Bad eras. With the obvious addition of the chin cleft and the lighter skin, I don't think he had another nose job. But maybe I'm wrong? What do you guys think in this pic comparison? (Keep in mind his lips are widened on the Thriller pic so it stretches the nose out a bit).

badvsthriller_zps2a14225b.jpg

michael-jacksongold_zps2b5ba37f.jpg

-Joe

In all honesty, no I don't think he had another nose job.

It's really hard to say. I always thought his nose was ever so slightly more up-turned in the Bad era, and nostrils thinner and more triangular (TWYMMF video is a good example of this), but I don't know how much of that is just a perception thing because of the lighter skin.

Back