Invincible 25th Anniversary

It’s so amusing how somebody would choose to believe a freelance journalist, who wrote a random book on Michael over one of his closest collaborators, who read out the dates on which particular elements of the track were recorded, directly from his personal computer. Mad.

The earliest version of the song Michael Prince has is from June 27, 2003. It is not impossible that R Kelly sent the song to Michael’s camp during the Invincible session, although I haven’t seen strong evidence to suggest that, only fan rumours. Regardless, the song was mainly worked on and recorded between June and July 2003.

It is not impossible that R Kelly sent the song to Michael’s camp during the Invincible session, although I haven’t seen strong evidence to suggest that, only fan rumours.
It's mostly to throw a bone to the people who do believe it's an Invincible outtake.

But at this point, I think we can just throw away most "knowledge" we have, if it isn't confirmed by Damien Shields or Joe Vogel.

Yes, but you are assuming she would do this. Can we trust her or did she read it on the Internet and didn't do more research? Is it mentioned in the book what her sources are for this track or others?

Again, she might have talked to MJ collaborators and received confirmations but I don't know.

And even if it was "originally intended" for Invincible, what does it mean? Was it only R. Kelly demo being selected and not recorded by MJ until 2003 or only some parts?

Wikipedia use Smallcombe book as the source of the recorded dates but it says 2001-2003.
According to All the Songs, It was written by R. Kelly during the Invincible sessions but MJ’s vocals weren’t recorded until 2003.

I find myself listening to this album more than any other album by Michael.
History is my favorite for sure, but this one has some really powerful and cool hype tracks....
If half of the slow songs and 2000 Watts "utter crap" been replaced it would have been a fantastic album.
Like Another Day should have been on it.... The Jay-Z remix should have been on it...
Some of the slow songs are his worst songs from any album... Just generic crap...
I'd love to see a reworking of the album.... It could have been amazing.... I love Xscape, but hate the master/mix we got on the XSCAPE album....
The remix is slightly off beat and the original is mastered super flat....
Jerkins has like 5 more cut tracks right? I thought I read the project after XSCAPE was supposed to be primarily made up of his tracks cut from this album. Why didn't it happen?

I find myself listening to this album more than any other album by Michael.
History is my favorite for sure, but this one has some really powerful and cool hype tracks....
If half of the slow songs and 2000 Watts "utter crap" been replaced it would have been a fantastic album.
Like Another Day should have been on it.... The Jay-Z remix should have been on it...
Some of the slow songs are his worst songs from any album... Just generic crap...
I'd love to see a reworking of the album.... It could have been amazing.... I love Xscape, but hate the master/mix we got on the XSCAPE album....
The remix is slightly off beat and the original is mastered super flat....
Jerkins has like 5 more cut tracks right? I thought I read the project after XSCAPE was supposed to be primarily made up of his tracks cut from this album. Why didn't it happen?
2000 Watts is fun to drive to.

AD: Absolutely! We have Cloudlee2000 who writes in and wonders “Why did you name the album Invincible?”
MJ: Well, Invincible is something, I think it was the proper name … it’s one of the cuts on the album. I’ve been an artist for… not to pat myself on the back, but the Guinness Book of World’s Records just enlisted me another time as the artist that has had the longest stretch career. Since I’ve been a little, little kid to this point with still hit records and number one records and I’m so proud and honored that I’ve been chosen from the heavens or whatever it is to be “Invincible” and continue to grow and to serve the people. To serve the people with wonderful entertainment.

And you wanna call it Unbreakable. Smh
Because it's the better song and Michael liked it more:
AD: Now SlimsLady420US sends in a question and wonders “Which song on the Invincible album do you think you personally relate to the most?”
MJ: Umm. Unbreakable
AD: Talk a bit about that track because you’ve mentioned it a couple of times. I’m getting really curious about it. What can you tell us about it?
MJ: I’m one of the few people in show business that have been through the ins and outs of so many different things umm I’ve been through Hell and back. I have, to be honest, and still I’m able to do what I do and nothing can stop me. No one can stop me no matter what. I stop when I’m ready to stop and I’m just saying it you know.

Relatable songs are good for the charts and according to Michael, Invincible had at least two of them: Speechless and You Are My Life
AD: We have a question from Helen in Scotland says “If you could only perform one of your songs for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?”
MJ: Oooh, it would probably be… If I could pick more than one, if I could pick up to two or three?
AD: Yes, I think we could go that far.
MJ: Heal the World, Speechless, ummm and that’s a difficult one, I think ummm. hmmmm .. You are my Life.
AD: So you went for the ones that are kind of the biggest statements in a way, it seems to me.
MJ: Yeah because it is important they are very melodic and they have a great important message that’s kind of immortal. That can relate to any time and space you know.

I wonder if In The Valley is an Invincible song
'In The Valley' was considered for the 'Invincible' album, given that Tyrese Gibson was involved in the making of that song.
Relatable songs are good for the charts and according to Michael, Invincible had at least two of them: Speechless and You Are My Life
What Michael Jackson said about the 'Invincible' album (during the promotional period) should be taken with a grain of salt.

He was expected to say only good things about that album (during that period).

'In The Valley' was considered for the 'Invincible' album, given that Tyrese Gibson was involved in the making of that song.
eef.jpg

What Michael Jackson said about the 'Invincible' album (during the promotional period) should be taken with a grain of salt.

He was expected to say only good things about that album (during that period).

That's not a fair comment to make at all, if you take away the weakest songs from Invincible it's some of MJ's best work. It's his most mainstream sounding album since Dangerous - there's number 1 singles on that album if it had the marketing support from Sony. I find myself listening to Unbreakable, Whatever Happens and Break of Dawn quite often.

Imo side A new sound,new producers but side B classic Michael Jackson

Yeah i mean you can feel him in this side more especially for his fans at that time

That's not a fair comment to make at all, if you take away the weakest songs from Invincible it's some of MJ's best work. It's his most mainstream sounding album since Dangerous - there's number 1 singles on that album if it had the marketing support from Sony. I find myself listening to Unbreakable, Whatever Happens and Break of Dawn quite often.

Some of his best work? Number one singles? I don't think so. I think You Rock My World was the most radio friendly song on the album and that hit number 2, which is still commendable. Whatever Happens I think could have done something. But I don't see too much unearthed potential in the album. Id like to know what songs on Invincible you'd say are anything close to the things he did on every other album.

Its reported Sony wanted him to get away from all the vocal ticks which had been lampooned for so long
Maybe that's why Michael didn't want to extend the contract with Sony. Didn't he leave Motown because they dictated the business terms?

Some of his best work? Number one singles? I don't think so. I think You Rock My World was the most radio friendly song on the album and that hit number 2, which is still commendable. Whatever Happens I think could have done something. But I don't see too much unearthed potential in the album. Id like to know what songs on Invincible you'd say are anything close to the things he did on every other album.

You Rock My World peaked at #10 on the Billboard 100 and that was with a music video - meanwhile, Butterflies reached #14 with no video.

MJ never needed to be radio friendly to be successful, in fact I would say what propelled him so far ahead of his peers is that he had his own sound. We'll have to agree to disagree here, there's multiple strong songs sitting on Invincible that if the casual public had an opportunity to hear would have completely changed the trajectory of that album.

Even MJ recognized that Unbreakable was a better first single.

You Rock My World peaked at #10 on the Billboard 100 and that was with a music video - meanwhile, Butterflies reached #14 with no video.
YRMW would be higher with a single release and Butterflies also with a video and a single.

Back