Invincible appreciation thread

Re: So, Invincible is much better than everybody thought....

Butterflies is a great song. It's a throwback to the Off The Wall era IMO, and if you compare it to the other two singles released from Invincible...it was the best single released.

It was not released as a single. It was promo single in US only.

Invincible is the same length as Dangerous and HIStory. 77 minutes

Exactly. All albums post Bad are too long (too much tracks). 10-12 tracks is ideal in my opinion.

And the production to me sounds awfully cheap and artificial on many tracks - something achingly clear when the song's themselves aren't so strong.

The production (and the vocals of course) are the best part of the album. The production is amazing, top quality, perfection. The problem for me is that some songs are just not as good songs. For example the production on Privacy is amazing, but the song is MJ's worst song.

IMHO

though i love VINCE & i enjoyed the release in '01 as any other release before, there are some problems:

•too many similar sounding songs

•too less "typical Michael Magic"

•too much overwhelming production

What I missed:

•more diverse sound

•less songs (14 pieces at maximum)

•one or two big "artworks" like WYBT or Morphine with large intros, middle parts, changing speeds/rhythm, breakdowns, etc..

Last edited:

For example:

Scratch & safe for later:
Heartbreaker, Heaven Can Wait, 2000Watts, Cry & Lost Children

Add 2 or 3 monster killer tracks of these:
Hollywood Tonight (if it only had been completed), Another Day, Xscape, Fall Again or WHE

For example:

Scratch & safe for later:
Heartbreaker, Heaven Can Wait, 2000Watts, Cry & Lost Children

Add 2 monster killer tracks of these:
Hollywood Tonight (if it only had been completed), Another Day, Xscape, Fall Again or WHE

I agree with additions. But no way on Heaven Can Wait be removed! One of the best tracks on the album. I agree with Heartbreaker, 2000 Watts, Cry & The Lost Children.

Exactly. All albums post Bad are too long (too much tracks). 10-12 tracks is ideal in my opinion.

As much as I enjoy Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible. I can't listen to them in one sitting. I need to take a break and come back to the rest of those albums later

If Invincible had just 9 songs like in the Bad album would be better
I think this album is longer and kinda of an overproduced thing

In my opinion Invincible is just as good as Thriller because Invincible has 9 amazing songs (Unbreakable, Invincible, Break Of Dawn, Heaven Can Wait, You Rock My World, Butterflies, Speechless, Whatever Happens & Threatened).

But Thriller has 9/9 amazing songs (100%) while Invincible has only 9/16 (56%).

I'm not saying that other songs are bad, just not amazing. If we were talking about ANY OTHER ARTIST - this album would have been their masterpiece! Name one (non MJ album) that has 9 incredible songs + few more very good songs.

As far as I'm concerned Invincible doesn't arouse such emotions like Bad or Thiller,but it has songs that I like.Just as in the case of his previous albums,Invincible contains too many songs,some of which I wouldn't put on the album.The strongest point is Michael's vocals,you should admit they are unique.There are many beautiful ballads on it and it shows Michael's sensitivity.Invincible has a totally different climate than his previous albums,many songs are quieter.For me the best song is Whatever Happens,I consider it to be one of the most emotional and best of Michael's songs.I also don't underestand people claiming that 2000 Watts is a weak song,for me it's brilliant,it showed the sound of his voice that Michael hadn't used before,and I like it.I also like Speechless,Unbreakable,Threatened,Don't walk away,Break of dawn.It may not be Michael's best album but to say that it's his weakest album is an exaggeration.

I think 2000 watts is one of the best Track of MJ ever...

So powerfull... Pure adrenaline.

I was weary of Invincible at first. I was so used to his "old" sound (Bad, Dangerous, Thriller) that I was initially turned off by the more modern R&B style. But I finally gave it a chance and I love it. Speechless and You Are Not Alone are among my all-time favorite songs, not just of his, but in general. They are so sweet and so beautiful- both the lyrics and the melodic/musical composition. And of course, once you know the stories behind the two songs and what he was going through at that time of his life, I think it just makes them even more beautiful. Sometimes they catch me in just the right mood, and yes, I will cry listening to them :lol:

Invincible had to grow on me, my first reaction was that it was just okay. After listening several more times I grew to love it. Michael had matured a lot in his personal life, and IMO it's evident in his music on Invincible. I don't think that it's to long. I've grown to appreciate each and every song. I listen to Invincible more often than OTW, Thriller or Bad.

As far as I'm concerned Invincible doesn't arouse such emotions like Bad or Thiller,but it has songs that I like.Just as in the case of his previous albums,Invincible contains too many songs,some of which I wouldn't put on the album.The strongest point is Michael's vocals,you should admit they are unique.There are many beautiful ballads on it and it shows Michael's sensitivity.Invincible has a totally different climate than his previous albums,many songs are quieter.For me the best song is Whatever Happens,I consider it to be one of the most emotional and best of Michael's songs.I also don't underestand people claiming that 2000 Watts is a weak song,for me it's brilliant,it showed the sound of his voice that Michael hadn't used before,and I like it.I also like Speechless,Unbreakable,Threatened,Don't walk away,Break of dawn.It may not be Michael's best album but to say that it's his weakest album is an exaggeration.

Good point! I agree. Critics complained that MJ was too angry on HIStory and Ghosts and here the anger is softened into those incredible, haunting ballads. I agree Whatever Happens is one of his finest and most beautiful songs. I also love Break of Dawn sooo much.

If only Unbreakable was the first single like Michael wanted.

Many fans say there are great songs but there are weaks songs too but great songs for some are fillers for others.
2000 watts wasn´t a favorite for me but I discovered after a bad day at work with to much to do, that it was great when I listened to it with high volume.
Heaven can wait was a song I avoided for years after Michael´s death but it wasn´t because I thought the song was bad.

I don´t listen that much now to the album but I use to think the songs are great when I hear them.
Maybe it depends on that I´m older, after a day at work with noice from machines and people I often prefer to have it as quietly as possible when I come home.

When Threatened was played during This Is It, that was one of the highlights of the film. It sounded awesome in the cinema

analogue
You are my life.. The worst??
This was for his children it is beautiful?

You Are My Life is a beautiful song, it's a wonderful dedication to his children. I love this whole album, it's like a bold statement.. it follows a story line.. i think it's great.

Sometes a song touched me because of the lyrics or message.. It then has a different meaning of 'like'

You Are My Life is good, if only for the fact that it feels like Michael cared about it and it has passion, unlike 80% of the Invincible where he feels like a guest vocalist on his own album.

If you've seen the 30th Anniversary concert you see he wasn't himself during this period and this shows on the album.

There are good tracks on there (Threatened, Invincible, Whatever Happens, Butterflies) but nothing like previous works.

OTW through to HIStory are works of passion, heart and soul with Michael having something to say but Invincible has little of that, backed up by the fact there are so many writers and producers.

I stress this is judged against stellar previous works which may be unfair, but that's how it works. How anyone can say they prefer it over any other MJ album is beyond me and I wonder of people's motives when they say this (I'm the biggest MJ fan as I love Invincible).

HIStory is Michael at his creative best along with Dangerous, there is little or no creativity on Invincible, it just has a few good Michael Jackson songs.

If i'm being honest I have phases with Invincible the album. Most of the songs sound a little dated if i'm honest, but theres some killer tracks in there for me. Unbreakable, Invincible, Break of Dawn, Heaven Can Wait, Whatever Happens and Threatened are still killer songs to me. But I still don't mind listening to The Lost Children and You Are My Life from time to time, they are easy listening, catchy choruses etc.

You Are My Life is good, if only for the fact that it feels like Michael cared about it and it has passion, unlike 80% of the Invincible where he feels like a guest vocalist on his own album.

If you've seen the 30th Anniversary concert you see he wasn't himself during this period and this shows on the album.

There are good tracks on there (Threatened, Invincible, Whatever Happens, Butterflies) but nothing like previous works.

OTW through to HIStory are works of passion, heart and soul with Michael having something to say but Invincible has little of that, backed up by the fact there are so many writers and producers.

I stress this is judged against stellar previous works which may be unfair, but that's how it works. How anyone can say they prefer it over any other MJ album is beyond me and I wonder of people's motives when they say this (I'm the biggest MJ fan as I love Invincible).

HIStory is Michael at his creative best along with Dangerous, there is little or no creativity on Invincible, it just has a few good Michael Jackson songs.

Opinions, opinions, opinions. Just that and nothing more.

"No passion", "guest vocalist", "wasn't himself during this period"

Honestly? The album is pure passion. I'm sorry if you can't hear that. Love is also passion. It doesn't have to be social themes or anti-tabloid themes to be passion. Also what time period??? He recorded for Invincible from late 1997 to late 2001. That is almost 5 full years!! Over 120 songs written, who knows how much recorded... And he wasn't himself??? He put himself in that album, his heart and soul. And when he saw Sony's promotion plan and behind the scenes schemes that were going on around his catalog he fell apart, he was broken hearted - end of 2001-2003. That is the time period when he wasn't himself. Because they ruined him, his masterpiece, his work of art, that he spent 5 years building it!

"nothing like previous works"

Like previous work, maybe different style, but quality wise and production wise, maybe even better! You Rock My World, Speechless, Whatever Happens, Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait, Unbreakable..!

"many writers and producers"

Proven irrelevant.

"How anyone can say they prefer it over any other MJ album is beyond me and I wonder of people's motives when they say this"

This is the most stupid thing I ever heard from an MJ fan. Actually from anyone. Ever. I think Invincible is not his best album, but it's definitely better than overrated Off The Wall. I say Dangerous, Bad, Thriller, HIStory, Invincible, Off The Wall. What is my motive?? Please tell me. I say it's quality. I'm starting to wonder what is your motive for saying such nasty, bold and untrue statement.

IMO there is an argument to be made that Invincible IS his best album. But then that same argument can be made for other albums. Some people say it is this album another will say that album. My point is that Invincible can also be said with justice that it ius his best. It's just that Invincible is not seen that way--it was not appreciated by the critics when it was released and it did not get promoted properly as we know so it got BURIED. No one has really given it a close look, as far as critics are concerned (except maybe Vogel, but more needs to be done). As has been said, there are killer tracks on it, and even MJ said he thought it had more to offer than Thriller (quoted in Vogel's book in the chapter on Invincible).

btw, there's a fantastic video documentary re Threatened that goes into the background of Rod Sterling's Twilight Zone and how it plays into Threatened (and Ghosts)--the whole concept of fearing the unknown. I will post it.

http://vimeo.com/106473572

I have been revisiting Invincible a lot lately, and I have fallen in love with it.

I think the biggest complaint about this album when it's discussed is that it's "too long" which I don't really agree with (considering it runs about the same time as Dangerous and HIStory) I do think there were much better songs (in my opinion) recorded for the album. "Hollywood Tonight" , "We've Had Enough" , "One More Chance" , "A Place With No Name" , and "Xscape" I think are MUCH stronger than some songs on Invincible. Considering these tracks were recorded during the same time period as all of the other Invincible tracks, I don't really see how anyone could say MJ wasn't passionate about the project.

I have been revisiting Invincible a lot lately, and I have fallen in love with it.

I think the biggest complaint about this album when it's discussed is that it's "too long" which I don't really agree with (considering it runs about the same time as Dangerous and HIStory) I do think there were much better songs (in my opinion) recorded for the album. "Hollywood Tonight" , "We've Had Enough" , "One More Chance" , "A Place With No Name" , and "Xscape" I think are MUCH stronger than some songs on Invincible. Considering these tracks were recorded during the same time period as all of the other Invincible tracks, I don't really see how anyone could say MJ wasn't passionate about the project.
One More Chance was recorded in 2003 specifically for Number Ones or the possibility of a new studio album.

Opinions, opinions, opinions. Just that and nothing more.

"No passion", "guest vocalist", "wasn't himself during this period"

Honestly? The album is pure passion. I'm sorry if you can't hear that. Love is also passion. It doesn't have to be social themes or anti-tabloid themes to be passion. Also what time period??? He recorded for Invincible from late 1997 to late 2001. That is almost 5 full years!! Over 120 songs written, who knows how much recorded... And he wasn't himself??? He put himself in that album, his heart and soul. And when he saw Sony's promotion plan and behind the scenes schemes that were going on around his catalog he fell apart, he was broken hearted - end of 2001-2003. That is the time period when he wasn't himself. Because they ruined him, his masterpiece, his work of art, that he spent 5 years building it!

"nothing like previous works"

Like previous work, maybe different style, but quality wise and production wise, maybe even better! You Rock My World, Speechless, Whatever Happens, Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait, Unbreakable..!

"many writers and producers"

Proven irrelevant.

"How anyone can say they prefer it over any other MJ album is beyond me and I wonder of people's motives when they say this"

This is the most stupid thing I ever heard from an MJ fan. Actually from anyone. Ever. I think Invincible is not his best album, but it's definitely better than overrated Off The Wall. I say Dangerous, Bad, Thriller, HIStory, Invincible, Off The Wall. What is my motive?? Please tell me. I say it's quality. I'm starting to wonder what is your motive for saying such nasty, bold and untrue statement.

Calm down dear, it's only a discussion.

Why do you feel the need to make the obvious point that this is 'only' an opinion? Of course it's an opinion - 99% of posts on discussion boards are.

If I post 'Who Is It' in an amazing track & one of MJ's best, would you post 'Opinion & nothing more'? So why post it because I don't particularly like something.

None of what I wrote is irrelevant because as you helpfully say, it is an opinion.

The point on too many producers/writers is not irrelevant anyway as I think most would agree, songs that Michael created on his own or with one collaborator are far superior to works that weren't.

See, Billie Jean, Don't Stop, Beat It, Earth Song, Who Is It, Give In To Me, WBSS, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, TYWMMF etc.....etc.....etc...

That's why so many are so passionate about Bad.

My point about questioning the motive may not be accurate in some cases, but it stands as an opinion. It's the same when someone says their favourite MJ track is 'Hot Street' or 'On The Line'. Sometimes this will be true, but other times it will be said to make them look like they know his work more in a bit to alleviate themselves above the more common fan.

If anyone truly believes that Invincible is a greater piece of MUSICAL work that Thriller, Bad or Dangerous then great, I'm honestly pleased that this largely dismissed album has that level of appreciation. I just find it hard to believe.

And like I always say there are some really good tracks on there, just not a patch on the virtually perfect musical legacy the man had before.

Finally, please let us all discuss without resorting to argument & aversion. This is music, meant to bring us together even if we don't necessarily hold the same opinion on a certain piece of work.

I read somewhere that someone said they like to listen to this album on shuffle and I get that. I think Michael described it as a potpourri. It does feel like a collection of songs rather than a cohesive album but I'd be hard pressed to think of one song I would drop. I'll skip a few tracks and two listens later they're back to being my favourites. I just think it is so varied and remains a source of joy. Sometimes I think that Michael was so ahead of the game that he forsaw the time of itunes and playlists and this was his contribution. A playlist of songs to suit all moods and occasions.

Yep I have always loved it. Its a staple for my life

virgin-megastore-signing-nyc(137)-m-12.jpg

Back