Invincible appreciation thread

Out of curiosity, it seems that most fans agree that 2000 Watts is the weirdest and most un-MJ song he ever released (although it certainly can be appreciated). Has anyone ever asked MJ or his collaborators about this track? If not, they most certainly should lol :D! My best guess is that since the album was due to be released in the year 2000 originally, maybe it was meant to be some kind of Y2K anthem or something.
Interesting point about 2000 Watts. I think one of the major differences with Invincible and previous MJ albums is that Invincible sounds pretty much like everything else in pop music circa 2001. I mean NSync's Celebrity album could pretty much be described as a companion piece; it pretty much has the same production values and sound across the board, and I think that's why MJ to a certain extent feels like a guest on some of his own songs; make up a playlist of Invincible, Celebrity and a few other DarkChild productions from around that time and there's a bit of a feeling that MJ isn't setting the bar, just following what's hot. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but the impact that his other albums had were just next level really.

But, it's still a very good album, sure it ain't HIStory or Dangerous, it's nowhere near that level but there's still some good tunes on it. The Music On Vinyl -MOV- version vastly enhances the experience, the cd mastering is horrible compared with HIStory and Dangerous which are sonically incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, it seems that most fans agree that 2000 Watts is the weirdest and most un-MJ song he ever released (although it certainly can be appreciated). Has anyone ever asked MJ or his collaborators about this track? If not, they most certainly should lol :D! My best guess is that since the album was due to be released in the year 2000 originally, maybe it was meant to be some kind of Y2K anthem or something.

Yeah wasn't that a gimmick at the turn of the century? To name things after '2000'? I remember the South Park creators parodying that.

Back