IQ of Michael?

Great article. I don't know if Michael ever took an IQ test, but I'm sure it was above average. However, I also agree those tests aren't a good measure of intelligence. I'm not very good at IQ tests, especially when math is involved. That's not the only type of intelligence there is.

betseyby67;3296230 said:
PCR, I don't know how reliable the Google entry is.
Yeah... I understand :(
I guess that's gotta be something kindda private anyway... or not? (unless you got a very high score and want to show off hahahhaha) :scratch:

CaptainEoLove85;3295846 said:
Great article. I don't know if Michael ever took an IQ test, but I'm sure it was above average. However, I also agree those tests aren't a good measure of intelligence. I'm not very good at IQ tests, especially when math is involved. That's not the only type of intelligence there is.
Yes, it is accepted now that there are multiple intelligences and that the classical IQ tests are biased, specially by culture (meaning people from one culture will have advantages over those of another culture and that will affect the scores).

Here is a brief explanation of musical intelligence by Wikipedia (not the best source, but easy and short enough for us to relate it to our Michael):

The theory of multiple intelligences was proposed by Howard Gardner in 1983 to analyze and better describe the concept of intelligence. Gardner argues that the concept of intelligence as traditionally defined in psychometrics (IQ tests) does not sufficiently describe the wide variety of cognitive abilities humans display. For example, the theory states that a child who learns to multiply easily is not necessarily more intelligent than a child who has stronger skills in another kind of intelligence.
[...]

Gardner has articulated eight basic types of intelligence to date, without claiming that this is a complete list.

The theory's eight currently accepted intelligences are: (Ref: Educational Psychology, Robert Slavin. 2009, 117)
  • Spatial
  • Linguistic
  • Logical-mathematical
  • Bodily-kinesthetic
  • Musical
  • Interpersonal
  • Intrapersonal
  • Naturalistic
Bodily-kinesthetic
The core elements of the bodily-kinesthetic intelligence are control of one's bodily motions and the capacity to handle objects skillfully (206). Gardner elaborates to say that this intelligence also includes a sense of timing, a clear sense of the goal of a physical action, along with the ability to train responses so they become like reflexes.

In theory, people who have bodily-kinesthetic intelligence should learn better by involving muscular movement (e.g. getting up and moving around into the learning experience), and are generally good at physical activities such as sports or dance. They may enjoy acting or performing, and in general they are good at building and making things. They often learn best by doing something physically, rather than by reading or hearing about it. Those with strong bodily-kinesthetic intelligence seem to use what might be termed muscle memory - they remember things through their body such as verbal memory.

Careers that suit those with this intelligence include: athletes, pilots, dancers, musicians, actors, surgeons, doctors, builders, police officers, and soldiers. Although these careers can be duplicated through virtual simulation, they will not produce the actual physical learning that is needed in this intelligence.<SUP id=cite_ref-3 class=reference>[4]</SUP>

Musical
This area has to do with sensitivity to sounds, rhythms, tones, and music. People with a high musical intelligence normally have good pitch and may even have absolute pitch, and are able to sing, play musical instruments, and compose music. Since there is a strong auditory component to this intelligence, those who are strongest in it may learn best via lecture. Language skills are typically highly developed in those whose base intelligence is musical. In addition, they will sometimes use songs or rhythms to learn. They have sensitivity to rhythm, pitch, meter, tone, melody or timbre.

Careers that suit those with this intelligence include instrumentalists, singers, conductors, disc-jockeys, orators, writers and composers.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Even when there seems to be a contradiction about the use of lecture to learn (the Bodily-kinesthetic says they usually don't learn by reading, while the musical says exactly the opposite), I guess we can't deny Michael would have had a very high score at least i those two :yes:

We know Michael love reading and always encouraged his kids to read. He reads beutifully (remember "Planet earth") and we know he had thousands of books and many people have said he really read a lot. But he was also extremely good at drawing. I mean EXTREMELY good at it!!! His drawings are amazing!!

Besides all this, we know Michael was not able to read music. He said he didn't think it was any important at all (I guess that is in the Mexico desposition tapes... but not 100% sure). He rather felt it on his own body (rember that funny scene in TII, "let it simmer" :D). Over the years he explained how music, rhythm, melody were embodied in him. He was actually one with music and dance. Again, just think of his words on Dancing the Dream (I keep on dancing and dancing... and dancing, until there is only... the dance, etc.).

He could create and mix sounds on his mind and then recreate those, for instance, by beatboaxing or simply huming (think of MJ's at the beginning of The way that you love me, on Michael... or his note about how he would look for that sound / instrument he needed until he would find it). Another priceless example of this is when Michael would "hum" to David Michael Frank the "classical" music he wanted to create:

He said, &#8216;I&#8217;m making a CD.&#8217; Then his son, Prince Michael, came in, and Michael asked him to find a CD player. Paris found one and brought it in with Prince. Michael played the CD. It was very pretty music. He said, &#8216;But a section is missing.&#8217; He played a second piece. And he said, &#8216;But a section is missing, too. But I can hum it to you.&#8217; I asked if there was a piano in the house, and he said there was one in the pool house. [...]

I sat at the piano and Michael hummed the missing part of one of the pieces. I had taken a little digital recorder with me and asked if I could record him. He was in perfect pitch. I tried to figure out chords to go with it as he hummed. He said, &#8216;Your instincts are totally right about the chords.&#8217;

Source: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ent...c/2009/07/more_details_on_instrumental_a.html

So here we have an incredible genious who simply couldn't get "away" from music, melody and rhythm for he was one with all those at the same time. He actually FELT the music and LIVED the music. The music MOVED him and he would MOVE the music too. They were one. That's why he is just so special. He was able to live the music, the rhythm, the melody, and he was generous enough to share this, his very own life, with us.

And yet, he always recognized it was a gift from God.

What a man :girl_in_love:

Last edited:
great post PCR!

But how do you mean he couldn't read music? The musical adviser (? forgot the correct name) in TII said Michael knew all of his records, tempos, and keys of songs. So he must have been able to read musical notes (?)...

great post PCR!

But how do you mean he couldn't read music? The musical adviser (? forgot the correct name) in TII said Michael knew all of his records, tempos, and keys of songs. So he must have been able to read musical notes (?)...

Nop, he couldn't read music.
Not a single note. He was he didn't think it was needed at all, for he was able to identify each note. Again, that's also because he says he could feel the music inside of him. Yes, in TII (and in many other sources) it is explained how MJ knew all the notes and tempos, but not because he know "music" (that is, reading it), but because he had that naturally. It was part of him!

Hm but he must have had theoretical knowledge of the musical scale? I mean, e.g. "Who is it" seems to use an exotic key, not sure which one. I think this is valid for "Hollywood Tonight", too...

Hm but he must have had theoretical knowledge of the musical scale? I mean, e.g. "Who is it" seems to use an exotic key, not sure which one. I think this is valid for "Hollywood Tonight", too...

I think the Mexico deposition tapes will help you understand this. Take a look at this piece:

[youtube]i40jcQ4kVIM[/youtube]

It's delicious!

I think the Mexico deposition tapes will help you understand this. Take a look at this piece:

[youtube]i40jcQ4kVIM[/youtube]

It's delicious!

That's incredible. I could listen to that for 10 lifetimes. If they released an album or multiple albums of simply those solely-vocal renditions, I'd be in heaven :wub:

That's incredible. I could listen to that for 10 lifetimes. If they released an album or multiple albums of simply those solely-vocal renditions, I'd be in heaven :wub:
Yes, Tom, I agree!!! And it's so lovely the way he goes so naturally and flawless with the music, feeling every bit, every note. You see him smiling as he feels the music "inside" of him, how it grows in him. Amazing!!

great... blocked again in my country. This SUCKS!

Oh :(
but try typing "MEXICO DEPOSITION" in YouTube. There are many videos there!! Many!! Use Michael Jackson Mexico Deposition. Sure you will find them! It's absolutely worth the effort!

I watched one of it (and knew other parts from the Mexico dep. before)... unfortunately the one I watched mainly contains Michael replying ("I can't remember", "don't know" - haha :)). Will watch it complete when I have time. Thanks for pointing it out

^You can tell through his writings, mostly. The songs he has written, the poems he has created, all speak for his intelligence. They are the works of a genius, most obviously.

In article I read of a strange subject matter (though not a negative one), stated that Michael's IQ was 160. Isn't an IQ above 140 considered genius?

I remember reading a similar thread in another fan forum I belong to and yes, from what I recall, Michael's IQ was above 140 so we have a magnificent mesmerizing genius on our hands! Wrote poetry, songs and had the most amazing amount of talent and how he used that talent is phenomenal! I wish I could recall where that was posted because I'd copy and paste the original post here but with so many threads as there are it would be somewhat like looking for a needle in a haystack!

I dont need to see his IQ test results to say that he was genius, for me there are no doubts about it ))

IQ often means nothing. It's a combination of a lot of factors that makes someone smart. A genius is often smart in only 1 area. Michael was in a lot more.
Even though he didn't have that much education, he educated himself. He knew more then most of us do. I think it was driven by his interests in the world.

Back