IRAN fighting for freedom... more than 150 ppl r killed ... LORD HAVE MERCY.

Re: Fighting for our votes???19 ppl were killed last day & Mousavi said he's ready to die too but no

I'm actually crying reading this...especially about what happened to you personally. :cry:

I don't understand how they could possibly have the heart to do this to innocent people. Reading about them going after women and old people is heartbreaking!

Please keep us updated MichaelsGuardianAngel, this is so much better and real than the news.

Re: Fighting for our votes???19 ppl were killed last day & Mousavi said he's ready to die too but no

I'm actually crying reading this...especially about what happened to you personally. :cry:

I don't understand how they could possibly have the heart to do this to innocent people. Reading about them going after women and old people is heartbreaking!

Please keep us updated MichaelsGuardianAngel, this is so much better and real than the news.

oh no, i am not tell these to make you cry. sorryyyyyy

i just say because i want my people to be heard.
No reports r allowed to be in the streets. it's only ppl who can report.

Last edited:

Iran tense after police, protesters clash

By NASSER KARIMI and WILLIAM J. KOLE, Associated Press Writers Nasser Karimi And William J. Kole, Associated Press Writers – 52 mins ago

TEHRAN, Iran – Iran braced for the possibility of more bloody confrontations between protesters and security forces on the streets of Tehran as fresh images of brutality emerged Sunday despite the regime's attempts to impose a news blackout.
Witnesses claimed that numerous demonstrators were injured — and several allegedly killedin clashes with black-clad police wielding guns, truncheons, tear gas and water cannons on Saturday as protests over disputed elections escalated into Iran's most serious internal unrest since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Authorities did not confirm any deaths, and the reports from bloggers and Twitter users inside Iran could not immediately be verified.

The rallies also left questions about Mousavi's ability to hold together his protest movement.
Mousavi bewildered many followers by not directly replying to the ultimatum issued Friday by Khamenei, Iran's most powerful figure. His stern order to Mousavi and others: Call off demonstrations or risk being held responsible for "bloodshed, violence and rioting."

A police commander sharpened the message Saturday. Gen. Esmaeil Ahmadi Moghadam said more than a week of unrest and marches had become "exhausting, bothersome and intolerable." He threatened a more "serious confrontation" if protesters return.

Mousavi's silence was broken after the melee with another call to annul the election results. But there was no mention of the clashes — suggesting he wants to distance himself from the violence and possibly opening the door for more militant factions to break away.

Amateur video also showed clashes erupting in the southern city of Shiraz and witnesses reported street violence in Isfahan, south of Tehran.

Other footage posted in the hours after the crackdown showed blood pouring from a young woman's nose and mouth as frantic people tried to help her. Two separate videos of the incident, each shot from a different angle, were uploaded onto the social networking sites Facebook and YouTube. The YouTube video described the location of the incident as Amirabad, central Tehran, and said the woman had been fatally shot.

The Associated Press could not independently verify the content of the video, its location, or the date it was shot.
"I think the regime has taken an enormous risk in confronting this situation in the manner that they have," said Mehrdad Khonsari, a consultant to the London-based Center for Arab and Iranian Studies.

"Now they'll have to hold their ground and hope that people don't keep coming back," he added. "But history has taught us that people in these situations lose their initial sense of fear and become emboldened by brutality."

In Washington, President Barack Obama urged Iranian authorities to halt "all violent and unjust actions against its own people." He said the United States "stands by all who seek to exercise" the universal rights to assembly and free speech.

Full details of the street battles could not be obtained because of Iranian media restrictions. But witnesses described scenes that could sharply escalate the most serious internal conflict since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Police first fired tear gas and water cannons at the protesters, witnesses said. Then came a second wave. It included volunteer militiamen on motorcycles chasing down demonstrators.

Witnesses claimed some marchers were beaten with batons by security forces or metal pipes wielded by the militiamen known as Basijis, who are directed by the powerful Revolutionary Guard.

On the streets, witnesses said some protesters also shouted "Death to Khamenei!" — another sign of once unthinkable challenges to his authority.

Khamenei sided firmly with Ahmadinejad on Friday, saying the vote reflected popular will and ordering opposition leaders to end street protests.

Late Saturday, Ahmadinejad thanked Khamenei in a letter for his support, telling the supreme leader: "Without a doubt, you strongly raised the flag of dignity and awareness of the Iranian nation against the arrogant."

The government has blocked Web sites such as BBC Farsi, Facebook, Twitter and several pro-Mousavi sites used by Iranians to tell the world about protests and violence. Text messaging has not been working in Iran since last week, and cell phone service in Tehran is frequently down.

But that won't stifle the opposition networks, said Sami Al Faraj, president of the Kuwait Center for Strategic Studies.
"They can resort to whispering ... they can do it the old-fashioned way," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090621...HNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2lyYW50ZW5zZWFmdA--

Last edited:

Your post made me shiver from head to toe. I can not bear the fact that people are being terrorized and shot dead just because they're demanding their rights. And all this just because one crazy and deranged man wants to stay in power and do as he pleases.

And yet here we are, reading your words, your plea, and standing completely helpless against all this. Crazy. I feel so tiny right now… Don't even know what to say…

Because of the censorship I do not know if you have seen this MJsAngel. I wish to give you heart.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20090622/iran-cleric-rafsanjani-khamenei-ahmadinejad.htm

Reports: Iran's clerics considering removal of Khamenei and Ahmadinejad

22 June 2009 @ 04:08 pm BSTNext Global News Article Iran's clerical establishment is considering scrapping the position of the Supreme Leader, currently held by Ayatollah Khamenei and forcing out President Ahmadinejad according to reports.

The country's Expediency Council and the Assembly of Experts is reported to be considering the formation of a collective leadership to replace the position of supreme leader, according to Al Arabiya, citing sources in the holy city of Qom.

Both groups are headed by former Iranian president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a key rival to Ayatollah Khamenei and a strong supporter of defeated presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi.

On Saturday five members of Rafsanjani's family were arrested for taking part in demonstrations against the controversial re-election of President Ahmadinejad. They have subsequently been released.

The Assembly of Experts, a body of Islamic clerics, is responsible for overseeing the Supreme Leader and can even remove the Supreme Leader should they decide to. The Expediency Council is responsible for mediating disputes between the parliament elected by the people and the unelected Guardian Council.

Members of the Assembly of Experts are reported to be considering making changes to the Iranian system of government that would be the biggest since Ayatollah Khomeini set up the Islamic system in the revolution of 1979, by removing the position of the supreme leader.

Secret meetings are said to have taken place in Qom and included a representative of Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the most prominent Shiite leader in Iraq.

Clerical leaders are also said to be considering forcing the resignation of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad following over a week of unrest since he was elected in what senior opposition leaders claim was a fraudulent election.

Here is more indication of change:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/middleeast/news/article_1485142.php/Former_crown_prince_sees_&quotrevolutionary_climate&quot_in_Iran__Roundup__
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former crown prince sees "revolutionary climate" in Iran (Roundup)
Middle East News
Jun 22, 2009, 16:12 GMT

Washington - Iran's one-time crown prince Reza Pahlavi said Monday that week-long protests in his country were supported by much of the military and clerical establishment and could end up bringing down the entire Islamic government.

Pahlavi, who has sought an end to the Islamic regime since his father was deposed in the 1979 revolution, said he had sources within the military and intelligence that were ready to switch sides.

'It's almost a revolutionary climate,' an at-times teary-eyed Pahlavi told reporters in Washington. 'Let me assure you, (the movement) will not die because we will not let it die.'

He appeared at the invitation of the National Press Club.

Hundreds of thousands have taken to the streets in Iran, defying the government, in sometimes bloody demonstrations of what they believe was a fraudulent June 12 election victory by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Iranian opposition candidate Mir-Hossein Moussavi, a former prime minister, has demanded a rerun of the election and vowed to continue the protests.

Pahlavi, who was exiled from Iran and now lives in the United States, warned that a failure of the protest movement would encourage more 'extremism' in Iran.

He said resistance among security officials 'has already started,' with some refusing to carry out orders to suppress the protests, but he could not give an indication of the extent of the internal discord.

Ahmadinejad has the strong backing of Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has called for people to stop demonstrating or face a possible crackdown.

Pahlavi said Khamenei had sealed his own fate by backing Ahmadinejad: The protest movement had shifted from a simple call for a new election to a wider demand for an end to the entire Islamic regime.

'It was an ugly moment of disrespect for both God and man,' Pahlavi said. 'It will not stand, and at the end (Khameinei) will not stand.'

Pahlavi said that Moussavi, who was part of the 1979 revolution, would soon have to decide whether he, too, will seek a complete overhaul of Iran's regime.

'You can't at the same time hold allegiance to the regime and at the same time hold allegiance to the people,' Pahlavi said. 'This is no longer tenable.'

Pahlavi for years has advocated a secular parliamentary democracy for Iran, and made no claims on Monday for reviving the monarchy.

Oh God, it's awful... God Bless this magnificent country and personally you MichaelsGuardianAngel... I really hope everything will calm down soon... :no:

And yes, thank you very much for reporting us the real news, I just don't believe any mass media in the world today, especially after the war in South Osetia. It's full of propaganda and censorship :(

I really hope everything will calm down soon... :no:
me tooo, the stress is killing me. i feel my life is in danger, my dreams are all shattered, i feel so so so unsecured even at home.

many people r nervous to death, are in dread of what will happen, so filled with distrust, and fear.

Iran will be ruined if goverment take over and repress it alll. the danger will continue even after it.
this is the begining of the dictator.
there r rumours Ahmadinejad is to become president forever.

:no:

Last edited:

TODAY of REPORT:

I am alive!

many people gathered around 2 different squares, (2000, more or less) but due to the huge numbers of security forces, (basij, Sepah, police and some people who wears ordinary outfits, no uniform and no one knows who the hell they are even the goverment!!!) people could not join.

like the day before, secutiry forces did not let more than 3 people to stand together closely. they scattered people sternly.
every 4 people together were asked to scatter and....
that's all i know so far... i was not there i heard it on radio from a boy who was present there.
he said that there was ashort argument between police forces and basij! police officers apprantly were opposing basij for their unfair teatments.
thats scandal!

at Sunday, there was not much violance but tear guns were shot and gunshots in the air. no beating or killing thanks God.

I am not sure about today...

something i think i must share is that peaceful gatherings in streets is totally legal based on the islmic laws of my country. and no organ is allowed to oppose.

But since the superme leader on friday said that "it must end" the law suddenly changed!
he is the law!

dictator, he can't stand any oppostion and wish all people to sing his praises only.
and they call it democracy! :angry:

Last edited:

I cannot speak farsi. This video is supposed to be of Ahmadinejad asking for permission for vote fraud from the council before the election. The poster has asked that it be spread throughout the world to let people know.

If it is what it is claimed to be there must be someone on the inside that supports the protesters and risked getting this out.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-279934

I cannot speak farsi. This video is supposed to be of Ahmadinejad asking for permission for vote fraud from the council before the election. The poster has asked that it be spread throughout the world to let people know.

If it is what it is claimed to be there must be someone on the inside that supports the protesters and risked getting this out.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-279934

oh, can't see inside the box. i will try later....
thank u so so much for posting...

:angel:

I really admire Obama.

he proved to be so intelligent, wise and shrewd. :clapping:

Last edited:

I really admire Obama.

I understand it is on u-tube somewhere as well. I will see if I can find it and maybe from there you can watch it. Someone has tried to translate it but says there must be a second part to it and that the meaning is not clear by itself. They said the words scared them anyway.

As for Obama... I agree. I am so happy we have him.

I really admire Obama.

Here it is from youtube. The two parts together are what are in the one video in my original link.

In the origianal link the message that goes with the video is:

IF YOU CANNOT SPEAK PERSIAN, PLEASE TWITTER AND RESEND THIS TO OTHERS THIS NEEDS TO BE SEEN BY THE WHOLE WORLD

DISCLAIMER:this video was sent to me from Iran which has video proof of ahmadinejad proposing to change the islamic republic system in IRan at the moment to chane it to a dictatorship where people do not have the right to vote. The Voter Fraud of June 12 is a direct result of this proposition. PLEASE RT

PLEASE USE YOUR FARSI TRANSLATORS TO VERIFY THIS.

Video proof of Ahmadinejad asking for permision to crack down any pro democracy movement in Iran prior to the june 12 elecrtion, and change islamic republic to islamic facist dictatorship.

the islamic revolution cannot be stopped, we need to change from islamic republic to a new islamic system that controls everything, including the outcome of elections. Since the proposed system is not a republic, there is no need for elections to take place in Iran every 4 years. as you requested, it is time to make this change in the system in Iran. And the ebst place to get support for this change is to ask you, the clerical council.

PLEASE USE YOUR FARSI TRANSLATORS TO VALIDATE THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LLWb9FJ3Hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0817fj7gqE

I can't view utube either. :(

i need a program for it. im looking for it.

PLEASE USE YOUR FARSI TRANSLATORS TO VERIFY THIS.

Video proof of Ahmadinejad asking for permision to crack down any pro democracy movement in Iran prior to the june 12 elecrtion, and change islamic republic to islamic facist dictatorship.

the islamic revolution cannot be stopped, we need to change from islamic republic to a new islamic system that controls everything, including the outcome of elections. Since the proposed system is not a republic, there is no need for elections to take place in Iran every 4 years. as you requested, it is time to make this change in the system in Iran. And the ebst place to get support for this change is to ask you, the clerical council.

PLEASE USE YOUR FARSI TRANSLATORS TO VALIDATE THIS
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, so this is for real. i had heard of it.
then we r dooooooooooooooooooomed, over, finished!

God, THIS IS NOT FAIR. :(
whats gonna happen to us? i am scared...

I am not sure Guardian Angle. The couple of translations I heard were not as definate as what this is saying. If you don't know for sure what he is talking about you can take the translations different ways.

Even if it is true that doesn't mean he will win. There have been reports of the split among the Mullahs and the leaders and that they are aligning to replace Ahmadinejad and Khatemei.

There is a new translation up. I think this one is the most complete:

Sorry my English is not that good but I tried my best. this is really scary, not only for Iranian people but for the whole world. it doesn't matter when this meeting happened, it's the concept that is very dangerous:

"In the name of Allah, the compassionate the merciful,

I’m grateful that God granted me this opportunity to be here in the city of Qom, Mullah's Capital in Iran to be in your presence Ayatollah Mesbah-e-Yazdi, the one sitting next to him, the most conservative Shiite Cleric in Iran and our other friends, and benefit from your lecture and advices.

Well, you said the whole thing, We can’t enclose the Islamic revolution in a specific time or place, and our endeavor is going to be everlasting, only if we do it for the God’s contentment , And god will help us all so all our dreams come true one day.

Fighting with corruption and trying to establish true Justice is sure joyful, but the real joy is when we accomplish our true goal, and we all should help each other to reach there. I think the revolution is finding its way, and there’s a new change coming. The hard part is over but even a harder road is now ahead of us. And I’m hopeful that this road will lead us to what we all waiting for. There’s a massive energy, inside and outside of Iran, willing to be at the service of the Islamic revolution.

I think everything is now ready. But this calls for a good management and guidance. This movement will need a strong theoretical support, and I think the best place to achieve that support is here in the city of Qom, where you all eagerly willing to establish a “true Islamic State”. It’s now the time! and I urge for your help, and I’m at your service -as someone who is nothing but a servant in this great movement, a movement that is a gift from God, and is going to cause a great change in the universe. ... I believe it’s possible, If I ever thought it’s not going to happen I wouldn’t accept this “duty”.

Arrangements has been made there Tehran?, and here in Qom I'll be grateful if you help us to organize a committee to pursuit this matter, and use all the resources we have. We are contriving it in universities too, so it’s time to execute our plan.

And you know better than me, that famous statement of Imam Ayatollah Khomeini “the world is now craving for True Islam” is a clear fact (!). We saw an example of it in this event 2009 Election?, we saw some actions from our youth which we didn’t expect. I’ve seen our young people in Tehran and other regions which a simple minded person might say there’s no “light” in them anymore, But when you talk to them you see it’s not true .The truth is, nobody tried to teach them before, nobody tried to enlighten them. Their families never taught them anything, the society never taught them, media never taught them. But their heart is pure and if we well-introduce it a new Islamic state?, they’ll support it, they’ll love it! They’ll all come to support us. Sure there are some low-life avaricious people that there’s no “light” in their souls, they’ll resist! But most of the people gonna want it!

I’m at your service, so by the help of God, we will organize and use all our potential, and I’m warning you we’re running out of time! The time is very short! I had a understanding from the “universe”(!) which at some parts, my understanding proved to be right(!) and I talked about it with one of the Grand-Ayatollahs, and he confirmed(!) simple-minded people might say we need to be well-organized first, it’s still too soon, but these are the talks of people who are depending on themselves! We are trusting in God! If we start he’ll make all things right! Didn’t the same thing happened in 1979 Iran’s Islamic Revolution? I remember some of our friends said that the revolution happened too fast! We were not ready, we were not well-organized, we don’t have enough power yet! But I remember Imam said: “Those people who created this revolution sure know how to keep it!” so I think our goals will achieve sooner than you think! We have the capacity to make it happen. So I’m at your service and I want to thank you Ayatollah Mesbah-e-yazdi for your management, and your friends, which I know they did everything they could, some even borrowed money, some sold their jewelries, to support this cause! And I hope God himself thank you in a perfect way!

Today The day after the election? is the happiest days of the Muslim people, and specially our supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, And I hope with the help of God, we make him even more happy!"
less

I am so sorry. It is getting very bad. I am following the bloggers. Many people are being beaten and killed today. The protesters are defiant. I can't even write here what is happening. Who knows what will happen next? Perhaps Rafsanjani will now step in? For sure there will be condemnation from the world and hopefully the UN. But for today.... I am so sorry.

God...... i am speechless.

I scent huge torubles, no, worse things that troubles.

only God can help, pleaseeeeee do have mercy :angel:

Thank uuuuuuuuuuu so so much eternity child for the news.

in iran everything it blocked. news sites, bbc, cnn, blogs, twitter, utube etc r blocked. satelite chanels r blocked. i feel lost....

The groups of protesters are smaller but the confrontations more violent. The bloggers are still getting word out via twitter. They are so brave. I have the link to the twitter stream but am afraid to post it here. Be careful. the Iranian 'government' has been arresting people who help get information out. They plant their own people in the twitter streams and also since some have now been caught they will torture them and others they know are in danger. They twitterers are always moving to not be found. The government is now supposedly looking for instances of high phone use, assuming they may be part of getting word out. I do not know if they do the same for internet.

Edit I don't know how easy it is for you to read english or how long you dare stay on line. The articles are long and there is new 'news' or strong rumors. You may want to read my last post first.

Here is an article from today that summarizes:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D991643O0&show_article=1

CAIRO (AP) - Protesters and riot police clashed in the streets around Iran's parliament Wednesday as hundreds of people converged on a Tehran square in defiance of government orders to halt demonstrations demanding a new presidential election, witnesses said.
Security forces appeared to vastly outnumber the demonstrators, and they beat protesters gathered on Baharestan Square with batons and fired tear gas canisters and rounds of ammunition into the air, witnesses told The Associated Press. They said some demonstrators fought back while others fled to another Tehran plaza, Sepah Square, about a mile (2 kilometers) to the north.

A helicopter could be seen hovering over central Tehran, where a witness told the AP that the area was swarming with hundreds of riot police who were trying to prevent people from gathering even briefly. Thousands more security officers filled the surrounding streets, said the witness, who declined to give his name for fear of government reprisals.

Severe restrictions on reporters have made it almost impossible to independently verify reports on demonstrations, clashes and casualties. Iran has ordered journalists for international news agencies to stay in their offices, barring them from reporting on the streets.

Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's refusal earlier Wednesday to bow to demands from protesters effectively closed the door to any compromise with the opposition.

The wife of opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi was defiant, saying protesters refused to buckle under a situation she compared to martial law.

Mousavi's official Web site had said a protest was planned outside parliament. But the site distanced him from the action, calling it independent and saying it had not been organized by the reformist candidate.

Mousavi's wife, Zahra Rahnavard, a former university dean who campaigned beside him, said on another of his Web sites that his followers had the constitutional right to protest and the government should not deal with them "as if martial law has been imposed in the streets."

She called for the release of all activists and others arrested at protests.

Mousavi, a former prime minister, saw his campaign transform into a protest movement after the government declared that hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won the June 12 election. Mousavi says the result was fraudulent, and Western analysts who have examined available data on the vote said there were indications of manipulation.

Khamenei has ordered protests to end, leaving Mousavi with the choice of restraining followers or continuing to directly challenge the country's ultimate authority despite threats of escalating force.

"On the current situation, I was insisting and will insist on implementation of the law. That means, we will not go one step beyond the law," Khamenei said on state television. "For sure, neither the system nor the people will yield to pressure at any price." He used language that indicated he was referring to domestic pressures.

He told opposition supporters once again to halt their protests and accused the U.S., Britain and other foreign powers of fomenting days of unprecedented street protests over the vote.

Meanwhile Wednesday, a conservative candidate in the disputed presidential election said he was withdrawing his complaints about voting fraud for the sake of the country, state television reported.

The announcement by Mohsen Rezaie, a former commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards, moved the cleric-led government one step closer to a final declaration of victory for Ahmadinejad. State TV reported that Ahmadinejad would be sworn in sometime between July 26 and Aug. 19.

Iran also said that it was considering downgrading ties with Britain, which it has directly accused of spying in recent days.

The government accused Britain of using spies to foment the protests and Iran expelled two British diplomats Tuesday. Prime Minister Gordon Brown announced that two Iranian diplomats were being sent home in retaliation.

Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki was asked about the option of reducing diplomatic relations with London after a Cabinet meeting in Tehran.

"We are studying it," Mottaki said, according to state television.

State media have said that at least 17 people have been killed in postelection unrest, including 10 protesters shot during the largest demonstration on Saturday.

Mousavi's supporters flooded the streets of Tehran and other cities after the presidential vote, massing by the hundreds of thousands in protests larger than any since Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution. Security forces initially stood by and permitted the demonstrations.

Amateur footage of a 27-year-old woman bleeding to death from a gunshot on a Tehran street unleashed outrage at home and abroad.

Despite the heavy security, a few Iranians apparently dared to venture onto the streets to pay tribute to that victim, who has been identified as Neda Agha Soltan.

On Wednesday, smoldering embers of candles were clearly visible on a street corner in central Tehran, where a vigil was held the night before for the slain young woman.

Another opposition figure, reformist presidential candidate Mahdi Karroubi, had called for a day of mourning Thursday for those killed in protests since the election.

Saeed Razavi, the spokesman for Karroubi's campaign, said on the candidate's official Web site later that any mourning was canceled because authorities hadn't given permission.

He said the mourning would be next week at the University of Tehran or near where those slain were buried.

Also, a Mousavi aide confirmed that police had raided offices of a newspaper owned by the candidate and detained 25 editorial employees.

Ali Reza Beheshti said the raid took place Monday evening in central Tehran as editorial members were preparing to relaunch the newspaper, Kalemeh Sabz, or the Green Word. The paper had been absent from newsstands for more than a week.

"Police in uniform raided the office and detained 25 members of the editorial staff," Beheshti said.

Amnesty International said Wednesday it was concerned that arrested demonstrators were at risk of torture or other ill treatment. It urged Iranian authorities to give the detainees access to their families, lawyers and any medical treatment they might need.

"Anyone detained solely for their peaceful expression of their views regarding the outcome of the election should be released immediately and unconditionally," it said.

Two players on Iran's national soccer team, Mehdi Mahdavikia and Ali Karimi, resigned for personal reasons, the semi-official ISNA news agency reported. The pair were among several team members who wore wrist bands in green—the color of Mousavi's opposition movement—before a World Cup qualifying match played last week against South Korea in Seoul.

___
This is from the New York Times (one of our largest and best papers).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/25/world/middleeast/25iran.html?bl&ex=1245988800&en=948520d3f4de6dd5&ei=5087%0A

Fresh Clashes as Ruling Cleric Says Iran Will Not Yield Sign in to Recommend

Published: June 24, 2009
TEHRAN — Hundreds of protesters clashed with waves of riot police and paramilitary militia in Tehran on Wednesday, witnesses said, as Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, insisted that the authorities would not yield to pressure from opponents demanding a new election following allegations of electoral fraud.

Times Topics: Iran It was impossible to confirm the extent of the new violence in the capital because of draconian new press restrictions on coverage of the post-election mayhem. But the witnesses reached by telephone said the confrontation, in the streets near the national Parliament building, was bloody, with police using live ammunition.

Defying government warnings, hundreds, if not thousands of protesters, had attempted to gather in front of the parliament on Baharestan Square, witnesses said. They were met with riot police and paramilitary militia, who struck at them with truncheons, tear gas and guns. One witness said he saw a 19-year-old woman shot in the neck. Others said the police had shot in the air, not directly at demonstrators.

Some opposition supporters said that presidential candidate and opposition leader Mir Hussein Moussavi had been scheduled to address the crowd, but initial reports indicated that he had not appeared.

The violence came as additional details emerged about the sweeping scale of arrests that have accompanied the nation’s worst political crisis since the 1979 revolution. A New York-based human rights group, International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran, listed the names Wednesday of 240 detained in the crackdown. Iranian state media have reported 645 arrests, but the total number of detained may be as high as 2,000, the organization said, citing human rights activists in Iran.

Among them are people arrested in a Monday night raid of a campaign office for Mr. Moussavi in Tehran, Press TV, state television’s English-language satellite broadcaster, reported Wednesday. The government said the office was being used as “a headquarters for psychological war against the country’s security,” and claimed that evidence had been found of “the role of foreign elements in planning post-election unrest.”

Also detained are 102 political figures, 23 journalists, 79 university students and 7 university faculty, the human rights organization said. By official reckonings, at least 17 demonstrators have been killed.

Earlier Wednesday, Ayatollah Khamenei told legislators that he “insisted and will insist on implementing the law on the election issue,” according to accounts in the state-run media. “Neither the establishment nor the nation will yield to pressure at any cost.”

Coupled with the clampdown on the new demonstration, arrests and other developments, the Ayatollah’s comments reinforced the impression that the authorities have resolved to use all levers of power to choke off protest.

The coalition opposed to the election results suffered a setback Wednesday when one candidate formally withdrew his complaints of vote-rigging, opening a rift among those who had challenged the outcome of the June 12 election.

Some opponents maintained their defiance, calling for continued protests and the release of detainees. Despite efforts to silence dissent and despite an appearance of disarray in opposition ranks, Zahra Rahnavard, Mr. Moussavi’s wife who has played an influential role in the opposition, issued a call Wednesday for the immediate release of Iranians detained in election protests, his Web site reported.

“I regret the arrest of many politicians and people and want their immediate release,” Ms. Rahnavard declared. “It is my duty to continue legal protests to preserve Iranian rights.”

The candidate who withdrew his complaint of election fraud, Mohsen Rezai, had initially complained that while the official count gave him 680,000 votes, he had evidence that 900,000 people voted for him. But on Wednesday, Press TV reported, he decided to abandon the complaint, saying the current “political, social and security situation has entered a sensitive and decisive phase which is more important than the election.”

Trailing Mr. Moussavi and the former Parliament speaker, Mehdi Karroubi, Mr. Rezai was the most conservative of the losing candidates and had been under strong pressure from Iran’s rulers to pull back from the confrontation.

Mr. Rezai was quoted as calling the ballot a “clear sample of religious democracy,” sharing language with a powerful defense of the ballot in a sermon last Friday by Ayatollah Khamenei.

Mr. Rezai’s decision to withdraw, regional analysts said, represented an incremental but significant step back for the opposition, since his status as being part of and loyal to the system adding credibility to the overall electoral challenge.

The electoral controversy continued to boil, spilling over Iran’s own borders, as President Obama issued on Tuesday his harshest condemnation of events there yet, saying he was “appalled and outraged” by the attacks on civilian protesters.

“I strongly condemn these unjust actions,” Mr. Obama said during a news conference at the White House.

Iran’s leadership pressed its own charges that foreign powers had meddled in its internal affairs and instigated the widespread protests. State television showed people identified as protesters saying they had been influenced by foreign news media, Reuters reported.

“I think we were provoked by networks like the BBC and the Voice of America to take such immoral actions,” one young man said.

The government has also worked to underscore that it is under attack by terrorists seeking to take advantage of the post-election turmoil. Press TV, quoting the national intelligence minister, said Wednesday that dozens of alleged terrorists have been arrested in the past week, including suspects in the alleged bombing last Saturday of the shine of Ayatollah Imam Khomeini in Tehran that wounded three.

The arrested were linked with “the Zionist and non-Zionist regimes outside the county,” the intelligence minister, Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei, was quoted as saying. Britain announced it had expelled two Iranian diplomats in a tit-for-tat response to Iran’s decision a day earlier to expel two British diplomats. Iran also lashed out at the United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon, for his call to end “arrests, threats and use of force.”

Iran’s foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, said on Wednesday Tehran was reviewing whether to downgrade ties with Britain, which Iran has accused of interference in its disputed presidential election, the ISNA semi-official news agency said.

“We are reviewing this issue,” Manouchehr Mottaki said, according to ISNA. He was also quoted as saying Iran would not participate in a meeting of the G-8 countries this week in Italy to discuss Afghanistan with regional powers. The G-8 brings together industrialized nations including the United States and Britain along with other western countries, Japan and Russia.

Nazila Fathi reported from Tehran and Alan Cowell from London. Michael Slackman and Mona el-Naggar contributed reporting from Cairo, and Sharon Otterman from New York.
---------

Last edited:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/24/iran-protests-bloody-clashes-khamenei
Tehran 'like a war zone' as ayatollah refuses to back down on election• Reports militia drafted in and paid to beat protesters
• Ministers threaten to cut diplomatic ties with UK

Mark Tran, Robert Tait and agencies in Tehran guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 24 June 2009 23.52 BST Article history

Zahra Rahnavard, Mir Hossein Mousavi's wife, has called for the immediate release of detained opposition politicians. Photograph: Ahmed Jadallah/Reuters

Bloody clashes broke out in Tehran today as Iran's supreme leader said he would not yield to pressure over the disputed election. The renewed confrontation took place in Baharestan Square, near parliament, where hundreds of protesters faced off against several thousand riot police and other security personnel.

Witnesses likened the scene to a *war zone, with helicopters hovering overhead, many arrests and the police beating demonstrators.

One woman told CNN that hundreds of unidentified men armed with clubs had emerged from a mosque to confront the protesters.

"They beat a woman so savagely that she was drenched in blood and her husband fainted. They were beating people like hell. It was a massacre," she said.

The opposition website Rooz Online carried what it said was an interview with a man the government had shipped in to Tehran to quell the demonstrations. He said he was being paid 2m rial (£122) to assault protesters with a heavy wooden stave, and that other volunteers, most of them from far-flung provinces, were being kept in hostel accommodation, reportedly in east Tehran.

With the independent media banned from covering street protests, the reports could not be verified.

There were also unconfirmed reports tonight that Zahra Rahnavard, the wife of opposition candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi, had been arrested. Earlier in the day she had called on the authorities to release Iranians who had been detained.

In remarks posted on her husband's website, Rahnavard said: "I regret the arrest of many politicians and people and want their immediate release. It is my duty to continue legal protests to preserve Iranian rights."

Rahnavard, who galvanised women voters by campaigning at Mousavi's side before the election, said the government should not treat his supporters "as if martial law has been imposed in the streets".

The latest confrontations came as the country's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, whose authority has been challenged by massive grassroots protests, said on state television: "I had insisted and will insist on implementing the law on the election issue. Neither the establishment nor the nation will yield to pressure at any cost."

But one of the defeated presidential candidates, Mehdi Karroubi, stepped up his challenge to the regime, describing the government as illegitimate. Rejecting the outcome of the 12 June vote, Karroubi – a reformist cleric and the most liberal of the presidential candidates – said on his website: "I do not accept the result and therefore consider as illegitimate the new government. Because of the irregularities, the vote should be annulled."

Iran's guardian council has ruled out an annulment of the election, saying there were no major irregularities, although it admitted that more people had voted than were registered in 50 areas. It was announced yesterday that Ahmadinejad would be sworn in by mid-August.

Iran has accused the US and Britain of stirring up trouble in post-election violence that has seen at least 17 people killed, although the toll is suspected to be higher. Britain yesterday expelled two Iranian diplomats in a tit-for-tat response to the expulsion of two British diplomats accused by Tehran of being spies.

Iran's foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, said his government was considering downgrading diplomatic relations with the UK. Mottaki was asked about calls from members of Iran's parliament to scale down Iranian representation in the UK, possibly withdrawing its ambassador. "We are studying it," he said, according to state television.

"There has been an absence of any hostile activity. There hasn't been another escalation, and there haven't been any more demos [outside the Iranian embassy in London] that we're aware of," he said.

However, Iran's intelligence minister, Gholamhossein Mohsen-Ezhei, said that "a number people holding British passports had been arrested during the recent arrests," according to Iranian state radio.

Mottaki had earlier claimed that there had been an increase in the number of visas issued to visitors from Britain in the immediate run-up to the election, although did not make clear if the visas were issued to journalists.

The US withdrew invitations to Iranian diplomats to attend the US independence day celebrations on 4 July, to protest at the crackdown.

On , after a week of reticence, US president Barack Obama condemned for the first time the violence in Iran, saying: "The United States and the international community have been appalled and outraged by the threats, beatings, and imprisonments of the last few days. I strongly condemn these unjust actions, and I join with the American people in mourning each and every innocent life that is lost."

To give hope:

Yesterday clerics marched with the protesters. They were clearly visible in the videos. Much is made of this as it shows the extent of the rift in the power structure.

From Huffington Post which is publishing summaries of what it learns from the protesters/bloggers in Iran

"1:00 PM ET -- Tehran mayor wants protests allowed. Iran's state media:

Tehran's mayor has urged relevant Iranian officials to authorize peaceful opposition rallies, saying the public should have an outlet to express its opinions.

In a Tuesday interview with IRIB channel two, Mohammad-Baqer Qalibaf said that legalizing street rallies would prevent 'saboteurs who draw weapons and kill people'.

Qalibaf drew a clear line between 'those protestors who had voted in the presidential election but had doubts about the result' and 'some saboteurs, taking advantage of the situation'. [...]

Tehran's mayor stressed that the 'use of force' was the wrong way to clarify public's doubts about the election results, calling all 'the supervisory and executive bodies in the government' as well as, 'the media and presidential candidates' to play a major role in resolving the issues."
-----------

Someone on the twitter blogsite keeps saying that at least 1/2 of the Iranian army is on the side of the protesters.

I could not find the article but it seems that analysts believe that Rafsanjani may be only waiting for the sides to be clearly defined to make a move from within the power structure and remove Ahmedinejad and Khemenei.

I just saw this about the military:
June 24

Half of Revolutionary Guard Commanders are on People’s Side
translated by bij | source: DW-Interview in Persian originally published on June 24
One week after the current protests had begun in Iran the Iranian Revolutionary Guard (IRG) issued its first statement on June 22. This delay reinforces the rumors of a wide rift among the high ranking commanders of the IRG. Mohsen Sazegar, one of the founders of the IRG acknowledges this rift. He left Iran a few years ago and now is the director of center of studies of Modern Iran in Washington, DC. He believes that there are three groups within the IRG. He says that about 50 percent of high ranking commanders and more than 70 percent of mid-level personnel are not supporting the use of force against people. He adds that very soon this rift will become visible and people will see the IRG joining them. Mitra Shojaee from the Persian division of Deutsche Welle (www.dw-world.de) had an interview with Sazegara:

DW: Mr. Sazegara, almost a week after the protests to the results of the presidential election the IRG issued issued a statement yesterday. It was a rather strong statement. Is there a reason for this delay?

Sazegara: This statement which reminds me of such statements issued by army officials controlling some cities in the early days of the revolution came out very late. Many believe that the internal rift within IRG and the opposition by IRG commanders who do not want to stand against people is the source of this delay.

DW: Therefore, this rumor of the arrest of the well known IRG General Ali Fazli might be of substance?

Sazegara: Yes, especially that there are talks about some other generals as well. However, I cannot give a definite answer about General Feizi at this time. These days I hear many people from IRG how are not happy with what is happening in the name of the IRG.

DW: What is the nature of this dissident group, are they among very high level commanders or the main body of IRG, are they among the older commanders or they have joined IRG recently?

Sazegara: As far as I know the IRG can be partitioned to three parts. One is the main body of the IRG which is pretty much like the Iranian society, they are mostly against Mr. Khamenei and Ahmadinejad. The second part is the mid-level commanders which 70-80 percent of them are also not happy and do not support standing against people. However, the people I mentioned before are among very high ranking commanders. One of my friends told me that among these people the situation is 50-50. This means that half of them are on people side and the other half are supporting these actions. Most likely very soon this internal rift within the IRG will become public and people will see the result and those commanders who are on people side will show their protest publicly.

DW: I exactly wanted to ask this question, so where is this 50 percent, why aren’t they expressing their opposition to these killings of people? 50 percent is not a small portion.

Sazegara: Well, disobedience in armed forces is not easy. It might cost their lives. We should wait. If people protest more and express their opinions louder then these guys will endanger their lives and joint the people.

DW: The question people ask themselves more than ever is that "who are those armed but un-uniformed forces who attack people? Are they members of IRG or related to the IRG? or are they related to other entities such as the intelligence ministry?"

Sazegara: This un-uniformed force is a special brigade under the intelligence division of the IRG. They are trained to beat people. In the past years and during the reformists time whenever there was a gathering to show protest, they showed up either on motorcycles or on foot, beat the protesters and injured them with knives or metal sticks. These days they are armed too. For the last twelve years this force has been effectively the suppression machine of Mr. Khamenei. However, now the problem is that this machine is not effective in encountering a crowd of millions. This force was effective in suppressing small gatherings of about 2000 or 5000 students, women or other groups but not in suppressing a large crowd of people. Also if this white-shirt force continue their behaviors they will make people angrier. People do not mind the uniformed forces or even the Basij and even if attacked by these forces people try to be kind to them and to not let the government alienate these forces. However, people think about the un-uniformed forces differently. The reason is that no one in the government accepts the responsibility of what these guys do, even not the government admits that these un-uniformed forces are related to it and only indirectly accepts responsibility for their actions. You may remember the death Fatwa of Mr. Khomeini about similar thugs in the early days of the revolution. At that time whenever asked about that Fatwa I said that no, we will not commit violence and we try to talk to their families. Now I warn them that if they continue these acts there are people who are ready to execute Khomeini’s Fatwa and stop them or even kill them.

DW: In a recent article as you mentioned before, you invited people to befriend the uniformed forces from the IRG to even the Basij. Why do you think this might be helpful?

Sazegara: It is very simple. These guys that Mr. Khamenei that wants to use to suppress the people are of the same kind as the people. They also have hardships in their lives, their children might think like the rest of the people or their family members might be among the demonstrators and they do not see it justified to commit violence. People must open their arms to the IRG and the Basij. Experience from Iran and other countries show that such acts make these institutions very fragile and causes them to joint the people very fast.

Last edited:

you should thank God that you cannot watch the youtube, you will scare to death if you watch the video that we saw on youtube.

This is from IBT, June 24. I don't know how solid the information is. There are also reports that a runoff election is being worked out. You should also know that although bad, there were not mass deaths at the rallies. It was not a massacre as reported. I think the use of the term was an error in translation.

Also, only 105 of the invited 290 parlimentarians attended Ahmedinejads election party. I don't know if you heard but the time to review the election was extended by 5 days after pressure was put on Khamenei. I didn't think that time was over yet so I don't understand Ahmedinejad's party. Perhaps I do not have the dates right. I was thinking that Rafsanjani would act before the deadline. The ex crown prince spoke at the United Nations Monday and cried all the way through then you see Ahmedinejad grinning from ear to ear while people die in the streets.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20090624/refsanjani-khamenei-iran-iranian-protests.htm

Behind the scenes Khamenei's arch rival, Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani is believed to be working to remove the Supreme Leader and is even reported to be considering abolishing the post of Supreme Leader altogether in what would be the biggest constitutional change since the Islamic Revolution in 1979.

Rafsanjani is the head of Iran's Expediency Council and crucially the Assembly of Experts which is responsible for overseeing and if necessary removing the Supreme leader. He is also a prominent backer of Mir Hossein Mousavi, the defeated presidential candidate who has become the focal point for protestors.

According to unconfirmed reports Rafsanjani is currently lobbying and meeting with members of the Assembly of Experts to gain support for the removal of Khamenei and for replacing the position of Supreme Leader with a form of collective leadership.

According to Al-Arabiya, high-up sources say that Rafsanjani has already gained enough support within the Assembly for the removal of Khamenei, but has found less of a positive response to the proposal to replace the position of Supreme Leader altogether.

Last Friday Khamenei gave a sermon during Friday prayers, which was largely seen as divisive by opponents of the regime. While the Supreme Leader is expected to be above party politics, Khamenei clearly sided with President Ahmadinejad and warned that protestors supporting other candidates would face "consequences" if they continued taking to the streets.

Since then the Iranian authorities have severely cracked down on protestors, with many being beaten, arrested or even killed by police and Basij Islamic militia.

Throughout all of this Rafsanjani has been publicly silent, yet if the reports are true he could emerge from behind the scenes and topple Khamenei and Ahmadinejad, but only as long as the protestors are able to keep up the pressure on the regime in the face of increasing and sometimes deadly violence.

Last edited:

NEWS of today:

It seems in Iran change is on the way in one form or another. We see clearly in the last week or so the blatant partisanship of the Supreme Leader. This brings into question the role of a Supreme Leader whose role should be impartial. This now depends on your interpretation of the title "Supreme Leader". It seems the goal posts have moved many miles in the last week or so. A shockwave has cascaded through the political system of the Islamic Republic. The deadly military and police response to the daily protests has horrified not just the nation but the world. This bolsters the feeling that there has been significant change. The word transparency seems to have lost its place in Iran's political dictionary. The Iranian Constitution seem to have been rewritten without consensus. I refer in particular to Article 27 which states that "Public gatherings and marches may be freely held, provided arms are not carried and that they are not detrimental to the fundamental principles of Islam." As a sign of mourning for the people who have been murdered since the Election, tomorrow in Tehran some people may try to release Green and Black Balloons into the air at 1pm on Friday 26th June 2009 The protests held in Baharestan Square have now been dubbed as the Baharestan Massacre due to the many people who were shot and beaten. There are reports from different sources describing carnage and blood everywhere. :prayingMany Mousavi supporters are also looking for hope in the form of Rafsanjani. Some say he may make a statement soon possibly Friday but it is unknown at this stage what his stance will be with regards to the alleged fraudulent election EU Parliament President Hans-Gert Poettering has today announced that he is ready to lead a delegation of European deputies to Iran to study investigate the concerns of a fraudulent election. Tehran's mayor requested from Iranian officials to authorize peaceful opposition rallies, saying the public should have an outlet to express its opinions. In Iran today at the protests we have had guns vs courage, batons vs mourners, and State TV vs Twitter. You have to admire the spirit and strength of the Iranian protesters. World oil prices have so far not been pushed up much by post-election violence in key crude producer Iran but they could spike higher if the situation deteriorates, analysts warn. The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa al-Thani while in Paris spoke in regards to the issue of Iran. The Emir said that stability in Iran is important not just to Qatar, but to the Gulf and the entire Arab world. Many people have been beaten and injured at the protests across Tehran today. At Baharestan the police were waiting inside local mosques for the protesters to arrive. Baharestan is where the Iranian Parliament building is located. At this point many one would consider the actions of the Basij and Police as acts of Terror. This is amazing that even in the year 2009 such primitive policing still exists in Tehran which is a modern looking city in places. Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has said reaffirmed that there will not be any new election. In his speech addressed to lawmakers today Wednesday, Ayatollah Khamenei stressed the legitimacy of the recent election in which President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was supposedly re-elected. Khamenei said that the election issue will continue to be treated by implementing the law. Police are confiscating mobile phones from any suspected protesters in an attempt to gather information on upcoming protests In an attempt to stop the protest taking place outside the Iranian Parliament today they have closed the Baharestan tube station The US House of Representatives has voted to reduce Iran's fuel imports and to target Iran's domestic energy sector. Currently The Swiss firm Vitol, the Swiss/Dutch firm Trafigura, France's Total, the Swiss firm Glencore, and British Petroleum, as well as the Indian firm Reliance are the main suppliers of gasoline to Iran. Many believe that this action may help to topple the government Mousavi is not under house arrest but as many have suspected his movements are closely monitored by security agents. He will attend the peaceful protests where possible. His supports are hoping to see him soon. There were many peaceful protests today Wednesday 24th June 2009 but the one which is most talked about was at 4pm in Baharestan Square ( Meydan-e Baharestan) in front of the Parliament building ( بهارستان called Baharestan). It was claimed that Mir Hossein Mousavi and, Rahnavard amongst others would be there with the protesters. Iran's former Revolutionary Guards chief Mohsen Rezaei withdrew his complaints filed with the Guardian Council about the disputed presidential election, the official IRNA news agency reported on Wednesday. At this stage with the various statements coming out of Iran it is hard to know what is really happening. Are certain people being coerced into making statements which fall in line with the Governments agenda? It is rumored that Hashemi Rafsanjani who is the head of Iran’s Assembly of Experts and a former president has refused to put his signature on the recent statements issued by the legislative body, which has declared Ahmadinejad as the winner of the presidential election.

Gee i was not even aware that a protest was to be held. there is no sourse. sites r blocked, satelite channels r blocked, yahoo massanger is blocked.

this is not riggggggggggggggggght.

ETERNITY CHILD,
thankk u so so so much for the articles :flowers:

Mottaki had earlier claimed that there had been an increase in the number of visas issued to visitors from Britain in the immediate run-up to the election, although did not make clear if the visas were issued to journalists.

it may has nothing to do with the election, it can be because of :heart:Michael's concert.

many fans sure has applied for visa for that. i know more than 100 fans here in tehran, many of them must have applied like me and 4 friends of mine.

Last edited:

ETERNITY CHILD,
thankk u so so so much for the articles :flowers:

it may has nothing to do with the election, it can be because of :heart:Michael's concert.

many fans sure has applied for visa for that. i know more than 100 fans here in tehran, many of them must have applied like me and 4 friends of mine.

It was reported that the woman protesters were giving flowers to the soldiers in peace.

Some of the Iranian guards have started to act in support of the protesters. On 18 tir during the extensive street protests some were seen to stand aside rather than harm the protesters. Even one of the Basiji who was running after protesters with battan raised called out "Do not be afraid. I will not hurt you." The following is also reported:

Precisions on one 18 Tir shoot out between
Uniformed forces and plainclothes.
Permalink Jul 10, 2009 On shoot out:
from shortly before 6 to 6:30 pm at Vali-Asr St. unknown Elements attacked and opened fire on hastily retreating protesters. Uniformed Security Forces started shooting warning shots in the air & towards the "unidentified" elements. No casualties. This measure was taken by the Squad Leader in accordance with the Goverment's declaration that it is unaware of these armed & violent "elements". This incident has been declared classified under immediate orders of Ministry of Interior & Intelligence officers.

Back