Is Elvis Overrated?

Not at all is Elvis Presley overrated. Elvis Presley and Michael both changed the history of music. I'm a big fan of Elvis. He, similar to Michael, made a big impact on the music industry.

YES HE IS OVERRATED, and dont call me racist cause I'm white, blond, blue eyes and everything, now people is racist cause they are giving Elvis sooooo much credit, i mean is like they always compare Elvis to Michael... im like WHAT???????? did i miss something?????, Elvis had talent yes, but nothing like Michael Jackson, I MEAN come on!! have you actually compare them both (writing skills, voice, dance, charisma).... is like a joke, poor Elvis looks helpless next to Michael..... its unfair to Elvis i think, i respect Elvis, but STOP COMPARING HIM TO MICHAEL.... Its an insult to Michael's talents...You cant compare Michael to anybody, simple as that...
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Elvis was one of the admirers of black music at that time (another example: The Beatles) and was trying to imitate it, that's all. Plus his own showmanship, which is good at best. When I listen to him sing, he don't even sound naturally skillful.

And his stage persona is not sexy at all. The hip moves and stuff are joke.

P.S. Michael didn't give him credit. It gets on my damn nerves when some people claim Michael looked up to him the way he looked up to James Brown and Jackie Wilson. That's ridiculous.
Thanks to you all who mentioned Michael's view on him. I heard some of it before, but not all.

Look, I think that Elvis was one of the first artists that were provocative - I mean, the TV channels refused to show his lower half because they felt his movements were too "sexual".

Wow, classic. I'm glad Elvis was before Mike then, haha. :woohoo:

[quote name='Jennifer1' date='Dec 20 2009, 12:00 PM' post='1269158']
Michael ......and im not just saying this because I'm a fan of MJ and not Elvis.

Elvis was simply a white face of black entertainment. He didnt do anything that really innovated music. Most of his dance and music was stolen from black entertainers and song writers which was most common during that time to do. His legacy has mostly to do with his popularity which really has nothing to do with his music. He didnt contribute to "rock n roll". The real innovaters in that genre were Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and many others that just so happen to be BLACK. I dont really feel like explaning why Michael is better because it can take all day lol but MJ was orginal, innovative, creative and multi talented. He played instruments, singed, dance, produced and wrote most of his songs. His music brought people together and it wasnt directed to one demographic unlike Elvis who catered to whites. He influenced music and changed music and dance.
[/quote]
nuff said

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Elvis was one of the admirers of black music at that time (another example: The Beatles) and was trying to imitate it, that's all. Plus his own showmanship, which is good at best. When I listen to him sing, he don't even sound naturally skillful.

And his stage persona is not sexy at all. The hip moves and stuff are joke.

P.S. Michael didn't give him credit. It gets on my damn nerves when some people claim Michael looked up to him the way he looked up to James Brown and Jackie Wilson. That's ridiculous.
Thanks to you all who mentioned Michael's view on him. I heard some of it before, but not all.

I remember reading Michael's book where he says "As important to the music industry he was, he didnt inspire me"

I think Elvis is horribly horribly overrated
don't get me wrong his voice is unique but he was far from innovative.

I hate when people compare him to Michael, their fame, stage presence etc etc are on different levels. Michael pwns Elvis it's a fact, I'm not saying this because I'm a Michael fan but it's the truth.

Elvis and Michael are just different. But they both connected with people and had an impact in the music business. But I do think that Michael does get shafted sometimes and I don't understand why.

IMO. And no offense to Elvis family or fans, I say He IS Overrated. For one, He never wrote his songs but was good when he sung them. I'd say Michael is Underrated...He writes most of his songs, he dances like NO Other, he's a humanitarian...and soo on...Elvis? hmmm...not really. he dances good i guess but no more than Jakie Wilson or James Brown. I say the media gives Elvis credit to lots of things. they call him the King of rock and roll and say noone will take it away from him right?

But when it comes to Michael, even when he was alive, the were saying "IS Chris Brown the New King of pop?, or Usher?" Now that to me is a total DISrespect. I'd say America (I know i'm gonna get a lot of beating for this:timer:) is a recist country. I didnt say Americans(well NOT All americans) I'm an American! ...and If America doesnt crown an artist, its like they dont exist.

Elvis, No matter what faults he had, the media protected him. I wish i could say the same about for Michael...

I dont wanna say too much and make this a Michael discussion(which i kinda did):cheeky:. so am out! Peace...

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Last edited:
And since this an Elvis topic I have wondered what is with this Tom Parker guy. From some of the posts that I have read. It seems like this guy didn't want Elvis to grow musically or do some things that can help his career much more.

And I actually agree with many folks about Elvis taking credit for some black music people, but don't prefer to say it because I like Elvis enough as a singer (and plus I like his movies too!). And He has his place in music like Mike has, Elvis Is liked by some people while Mike is liked by others. :/ I prefer not to harp on it really and enjoy both guys!

Well I checked with my dogs and I have to concur...

I don’t think he is overrated at all – but seriously I also don’t think you can compare the two.

I am not a huge Elvis fan – but can respect the talent and what he did for main stream music and bringing black music to the forefront. Unfortunately at that time in history a white man had to do black music for it to be commercially successful. (Just to add... please don’t take that as a racial comment, as I am of mixed race)

His single That’s All Right Mama is considered by many to be the birth of Rock N’Roll

By the time the Jackson 5 had their first hit single Elvis had already done his ’67 comeback tour – so they didn’t even really produce music at the same time.

Total different time, totally different generation – I mean Elvis was drafted in the Army during the Korean war and served for 2 years...

I love MJ more – but I would not take anything from Elvis

They are both legends and paved the way for generations to follow.

Total different time, totally different generation – I mean Elvis was drafted in the Army during the Korean war and served for 2 years...

They are both legends and paved the way for generations to follow.

EXACTLY... and this is what people on here don't seem to understand. They were/are Legends of their own time. Period. I don't see why that is so hard to understand. :doh: I am a die hard MJ fan, myself... but GEEEZZZ... I am also an all-around music lover in general. Come on!! :smilerolleyes:

Elvis is way over-rated. He became successful because of racism towards black people. Chuck Berry and all of the other brothers were doing what Elvis did (some would say better) before him. Elvis was successful because he was white. Michael became famous and successful despite being black. MJ was a barrier breaker, an innovator, a thrilling dancer and an awesome all-round musician (writing, singing, producing, beat-boxing).

Elvis sang black people's music and got all of the credit for it. He never wrote a song and, while shaking one leg was considered "controversial" and "exciting" back in the day, it just doesn't cut the mustard now when compared with the moonwalking, body popping, crotch grabbing, feet tapping, gliding and sliding, Elvis Presley's daughter-riding legend that is Michael Jackson. Chamone!

Oh, and message from Kanye: "Elvis fans, imma let you finish, but Michael Jackson had one of the best videos of all time!"

Last edited:
Elvis is way over-rated. He became successful because of racism towards black people. Chuck Berry and all of the other brothers were doing what Elvis did (some would say better) before him. Elvis was successful because he was white. Michael became famous and successful despite being black. MJ was a barrier breaker, an innovator, a thrilling dancer and an awesome all-round musician (writing, singing, producing, beat-boxing).

Elvis sang black people's music and got all of the credit for it. He never wrote a song and, while shaking one leg was considered "controversial" and "exciting" back in the day, it just doesn't cut the mustard now when compared with the moonwalking, body popping, crotch grabbing, feet tapping, gliding and sliding, Elvis Presley's daughter-riding legend that is Michael Jackson. Chamone!

Oh, and message from Kanye: "Elvis fans, imma let you finish, but Michael Jackson had one of the best videos of all time!"

You said it! I didnt want to say it but IMO Yes I think its mostly because he's white. I wish it wasnt but this is the world we're living in and the reality of it! very sad! :(

Elvis Presley's daughter-riding
DUDE!!! Omg...:lol:

And I love the Kanye Speech...:lol: I think he would've said that...:D

L.O.V.E.
Romi

This my last post in this thread, then I'm unsubscribing (WOO-HOOO!) because this "crybaby crap" is getting so effin' old. Effin' ridonkulous yo, LOL.

Just like the world wasn't ready for a black president until THIS TIME in American history--the same goes for the timing of Michael's success. It was simply HIS TIME to shine, and break those barriers. So what if Elvis was white and sang "black music" during a time when the world wasn't ready for a black superstar? That's how the world was back then--you can't change history--it already happened--and Elvis is still a King. Doesn't matter how he did it, IMO. He still did it--in HIS era. People on here obviously may not like Elvis, and obviously Lisa Marie. But history is HISTORY. Get over it already.

:beatit: :p

Average singer, average dancer, terrible actor, mediocre musician, great stage presence.

I don't think Elvis is overrated cause he was the first superstar right? You can take it from him BUT Michael is on a different level!! You can't compare him to Michael cause Elvis was just a performer and Michael was an artist. He's a performer, dancer, song writer, producer the list is endless!! But Elvis was here first that's the only reason he is what he is now.

Elvis is NOT overrated. His music was just as revolutionary as Michael's and millions of people still love it. I can guarantee that 30 years after people will think Michael is overrated too because music will be completely different. That's why you shouldn't rate artists only depending on your personal taste

Ok, CORRECTION: It's not HIS music. He only sang what people wrote for him. Besides, there were plenty of awesome black singers that were way ahead of Elvis when it came to singing like Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Sam Cooke and dancing (Jackie Wilson, James Brown). If Elvis were black, he would be a nobody.

And the 30 years argument is invalid.

HUGELY OVERRATED. He can play guitar and sing good for a white guy. But hey, that's doesn't make you one of the best artists ever. To me, there are atleast 100 black artists that are less known that are far better.

Michael Jackson, Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Sam Cooke, Prince, David Ruffin, Smokey Robinson, B.B King, Aretha Franklin, Sly Stone > Elvis Presley

Just to name a few.

Ok, CORRECTION: It's not HIS music. He only sang what people wrote for him. Besides, there were plenty of awesome black singers that were way ahead of Elvis when it came to singing like Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Sam Cooke and dancing (Jackie Wilson, James Brown). If Elvis were black, he would be a nobody.

Plenty of artist today do it, hence why people complain about how so many people complain about lack of talent in today's singer.

Yeah I may be the few black people that likes Elvis. Don't know why, his songs are cool to me. Damn I feel lonely.

Plenty of artist today do it, hence why people complain about how so many people complain about lack of talent in today's singer.

Yeah I may be the few black people that likes Elvis. Don't know why, his songs are cool to me. Damn I feel lonely.

Yeah many artists today do it, because in many cases they got no skills to be fair. And that's also why there won't be another huge artist in this generation, like Michael and Beatles. Besides, the ones getting far today often defend on their looks more than ever before. You think the likes of Britney Spears would be a big act if she werent good looking when she breaked through? She can't even sing, just look at the TWYMMF at MSG 30th anniversary. A complete joke!

It is not that most black people can't appreciate his voice - I think very few would say that he couldn't sing. It is that black people did it before him and did it better. They wrote the songs and created the genre of Rock n Roll. For a white person to come along and mimic them, while taking the credit for the art and being hailed as the King of it all, is a slap in the face to those he impersonated. In my opinion, he is a glorified cover artist.

I haven't read the entire thread, but this is like asking if MJ is overrated. :scratch: Elvis was/is a KING and always will be.

ETA: And please don't attack me because I posted "like" and "MJ." Once again, there is no comparison. They are BOTH very different Legends... and they are still Kings and pioneers of their time. Simple as that.

Elvis is NOT overrated. His music was just as revolutionary as Michael's and millions of people still love it. I can guarantee that 30 years after people will think Michael is overrated too because music will be completely different. That's why you shouldn't rate artists only depending on your personal taste

+1 :)

(I cannot guarantee anything, but my guess is there will be someone asking this on another forum :) )

My reply to this thread is located on page #1 post #5
I would like to add that i didn't post this picture because I think Michael 'idolized' elvis but because that the painting was his. Michael love the greats.. he had respect.. he saw the greatness in ppl that were good or bad... he saw the great showmanship in Hilter..

Michael's painting that hung over his bed.

Mjpainting.jpg

Mjpainting1.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
^^ Ever since I saw that painting I have wondered about it. It makes me kinda curious.

Okay, I'll stop talking in this topic. It's just that I am in a chatty mood. :lol:

IMO. And no offense to Elvis family or fans, I say He IS Overrated. For one, He never wrote his songs but was good when he sung them. I'd say Michael is Underrated...He writes most of his songs, he dances like NO Other, he's a humanitarian...and soo on...Elvis? hmmm...not really. he dances good i guess but no more than Jakie Wilson or James Brown. I say the media gives Elvis credit to lots of things. they call him the King of rock and roll and say noone will take it away from him right?

But when it comes to Michael, even when he was alive, the were saying "IS Chris Brown the New King of pop?, or Usher?" Now that to me is a total DISrespect. I'd say America (I know i'm gonna get a lot of beating for this:timer:) is a recist country. I didnt say Americans(well NOT All americans) I'm an American! ...and If America doesnt crown an artist, its like they dont exist.

Elvis, No matter what faults he had, the media protected him. I wish i could say the same about for Michael...

I dont wanna say too much and make this a Michael discussion(which i kinda did):cheeky:. so am out! Peace...

L.O.V.E.
Romi

My dream is for everyone to come together... :(

Last edited:

And the 30 years argument is invalid.

HUGELY OVERRATED. He can play guitar and sing good for a white guy. But hey, that's doesn't make you one of the best artists ever. To me, there are atleast 100 black artists that are less known that are far better.

Exactly, I'm sorry I believe that Elvis is overrated as hell
Elvis got famouse because he was a white man doing music that black people made famous.

If he was black it would be different.

I don't hate the man, I love his christmas album:cheeky:
it's just that people put Elvis on a high pedastel and give him credit he doesnt deserve.

Me not being a big fan of Elvis isnt because he's white and I'm black
I just think he's overrated and its unfair to the real pioneers.

what is overated is compare the two of them.
they're different. elvis is the MJ in his era and MJ has his own era,they're both KING and some elvis fans have nerve to trash MJ just because he is black...how can MJ fans not trash elvis back?the fact that MJ reigns longer and reach more audiences in terms...it's no one fault and its not because he is black or white for sure
why can't we stick with one and ignore the other?i'm in MJ clan! elvis is in my father's era (but now my father switch to Michael too so...yeah!)

No disrespect I am black I have nothing against Elvis just don't know anything about him and his music cause my parents never listen to him. At the end of the day him and MJ are different on their own levels of music

2v271ud.jpg
2j27rww.gif
Meeeeeezy work it out for me hun one time for them give it up for the king of pop

Back