Is Elvis Overrated?

I really don't understand this thread. Why do people have to talk about Elvis, wondering if he's overrated? He was a musical "king" too. Lots of people loved him. Sorry I'm just wondering why this topic came up.

Me neither, it's just another tired ass comparison thread that has ran out of course, in my opinion. I think they deserve their titles as kings too. I just like think positively. :yes:

Me neither, it's just another tired ass comparison thread that has ran out of course, in my opinion. I think they deserve their titles as kings too. I just like think positively. :yes:

If you look at the title of the thread you'll easily that this thread is not about any comparison, it's simply about Elvis.

The thing is he shouldn't has been as significant as he became - that's why he is overrated. Elvis' talent doesn't deserve to be recognized as a superstar. There were many, many black artists during those days that had greater talent than Elvis, but wasn't recognized globally, or even much in US for that matter.

Come on, the guy couldn't even write his own songs. He sang good for being white and could play the guitar pretty well. But that shouldn't make you a lasting musical legacy (if you don't have the most awesome voice ever, which Elvis didn't have lol).

It's not about minimizing his importance; of course he was important because of the superstar he was, but other people deserve more credit: what about Jackie Wilson (Elvis' idol) or Sam Cooke, far better vocalists and musicians? And the songwriters to "his" songs? No, it's all about Elvis Presley!
Preach it.

Elvis charisma is way overrated. Look at him being fat and singing bad on hawaii for example. Amazing charisma!.....

Charisma has nothing to do with how you look, its just something about you that shines through, you could be ugly but still have charisma, and i have to say i have never heard elvis sing bad , not even on his last ever concert 6 weeks before his death. He looked bad at that time but his voice was still incredible.

Charisma has nothing to do with how you look, its just something about you that shines through, you could be ugly but still have charisma, and i have to say i have never heard elvis sing bad , not even on his last ever concert 6 weeks before his death. He looked bad at that time but his voice was still incredible.

Well, if he shined, I can tell you it wasn't for his "sexiness" during the second part of his career. Maybe it was some butter that had made it's way to some of his skin? lol

Well, if he shined, I can tell you it wasn't for his "sexiness" during the second part of his career. Maybe it was some butter that had made it's way to some of his skin? lol
Well i suppose you can't shine for everyone, you either see what is special about someone , or you dont, everyone sees something different i guess, just like i also see what was special about michael , but some ppl dont, its just how it is.:yes:

Hell yes
In my opinion he is far,far,far overrated.
He gets on my neveres and it gets on my nerves that people keep refering to him as the King.
WTF makes him king?
What has he truly done to deserve that title?
Sweet FA.
He couldnt dance,he never wrote his own songs not one of them so why call him that?
I cant stand him.
Me and mum argue all the time.
She loves elvis (god knows why) and she keeps saying to me that he is the king.
No way on earth.
Untill he has achieved everything Michael has and that aint ever gonna happen then theres noway on earth he will ever be the king.
Theres only one King in this world and he goes bythe name of Michael Joseph Jackson.

I'm only 16, I don't really know anything about him...I don't know a single Elvis song...

And wasn't he technically a paedophile? I only learned about that the other day, why was a certain someone constantly portrayed as one when he was proven innocent, yet I have never heard anything about it with Elvis when he was one?

That's just where I stand, I hope I don't offend anyone, you're all entitled to your own opinions.

Ok, CORRECTION: It's not HIS music. He only sang what people wrote for him. Besides, there were plenty of awesome black singers that were way ahead of Elvis when it came to singing like Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Sam Cooke and dancing (Jackie Wilson, James Brown). If Elvis were black, he would be a nobody.

And the 30 years argument is invalid.

HUGELY OVERRATED. He can play guitar and sing good for a white guy. But hey, that's doesn't make you one of the best artists ever. To me, there are atleast 100 black artists that are less known that are far better.

This is pretty much where I'm at

I'm only 16, I don't really know anything about him...I don't know a single Elvis song...

And wasn't he technically a paedophile? I only learned about that the other day, why was a certain someone constantly portrayed as one when he was proven innocent, yet I have never heard anything about it with Elvis when he was one?

That's just where I stand, I hope I don't offend anyone, you're all entitled to your own opinions.

You have just made a very good point and I totally agree with everything you have just said.

I've tried to understand the fuss with Elvis and the Beatles. I really wish I could. I don't know...maybe because I wasn't born in their eras it's hard to comprehend their greatness. I just can't understand the fuss to be frank. I still wouldn't say Elvis is overrated though. It's just something *I* don't get. He was nice to look at that's for sure lol but if I compare Elvis or the Beatles to MJ... the singng, the dancing, the music, I can't help but find it mind boggling that they are put in the same category. I think MJ's talent and appeal soars ridiculously beyond both. :s

Elvis overrated? No. I strongly believe both Michael and Elvis are unique and we can love them both. There's no need to drag neither of them to the ground in favor of the other. I think that's a childish and immature way of looking at things.

One is the King of Rock N Roll and the other one is the King of Pop. We can love them both.

I'm just going to be blunt..

is he talented, YES.. Does he have what it takes to make it big? YES does he deserve all the glory he's recieved NO..

You can try to argue with me all you want, but rock n roll artists paved the way for him but because of the era it was the black artists that put him where he did, got over shadowed by Elvis because of Race.. It's somwhat like if Justin Timberlake were an artist back in the same era, Justin would be Elvis. But Justin gets the respect and honor he deserves because he's talented and has what it takes... But does not over shadow other artists because of race due to how much our culture has changed..

many of the greatests talents go nameless because of there race and when they were making music.. Elvis would not have been ELVIS if he were a different race.

So yes he's overrated!! Just to throw in, the term "King Of Rock'n'Roll was stolen, the same way people have tried to call others the King Of Pop.. In this case it was taken and given to Elvis

Elvis overrated? No. I strongly believe both Michael and Elvis are unique and we can love them both. There's no need to drag neither of them to the ground in favor of the other. I think that's a childish and immature way of looking at things.

One is the King of Rock N Roll and the other one is the King of Pop. We can love them both.

+1! I couldn't agree more :)

Back