Is "Invincible" as good as previous MJ's Albums ?

Is Invincible as Good as previous MJ's Albums...

• YES

Votes: 188 64.6%
  • NO

Votes: 103 35.4%

• Total voters
I'm about the same age as Michael and my soul experience changed from year to year. I was fond of his Bad and Dangerous albums ( of course I like them now too ) but unexpectedly the Invincible music occured to express my inner heart and soul feelings.I adore Michael's music but for me his ballads are the best.

Sorry for my English , it's not my native , hope you understand my thoughts.

63 % believe it's as good as the previous albums...

considering the lack of videos and live performance, this result is not that bad

Yes, it's just as good as any of the other albums he made. I don't think it has the same amount of iconic classics that Thriller and Bad provided such as Billie Jean, Beat It, Smooth Criminal and Man In the Mirror but in my opinion it is just as good as the albums Off the Wall, Dangerous and HIStory.

Tough choice but I had to pick no...

You have beautiful ballads and strong angry frustrated songs.. but no real dancing songs.

I missed the happy light dancing songs.
You don't always have to have a message in a song, sometimes you just want to enjoy the music and dance, and that's what was missing for me in this album.

You don't always have to have a message in a song, sometimes you just want to enjoy the music and dance, and that's what was missing for me in this album.

i don't think you will find happy light dancing songs in History either !

in Invincible, you have "You rock my world" at least.

You don't have this kind of song in History or even Dangerous...

Edit : in Dangerous, you have RTT...

Last edited:

You have beautiful ballads and strong angry frustrated songs.. but no real dancing songs.

Umm...this is for the Invincible album, not HIStory. lol Invincible has way lighter music for dancing rather than HIStory which had none of that.

Widdle Invincible down to like 10 solid tracks and include Escape and it would bump it up to been a great album on par with his post-dangerous work.

There are just way too many not so good songs on the album to balance out with the good songs, and not enough GREAT songs or all time classics like you'd find on his other albums.

i don't think you will find happy light dancing songs in History either !

in Invincible, you have "You rock my world" at least.

You don't have this kind of song in History or even Dangerous...

Edit : in Dangerous, you have RTT...

LOL you took the words right out of my mouth!
You rock my world!
:D

PS: not to mention the lost children! :) Invincible is one of my favs, love all of MJ's albums, esp Off the Wall, but thats cos I'm old! lol x
She fine you know she fine! Man that girl is off the hook!!:)
Love love love that song and vid! MJ and Chris Tucker! :agree:

Last edited:
It's a good album, different but still good. If I had to choose one favourite track from Invincible, I'd pick Whatever Happens. I consider it to be a classic song even though it's not as popular as Beat It or Thriller.

I HAVE to say no...but more to do with the fact I think the album is to long and should have been cut shorter by taking out some of the weaker songs. Shout should have been on there too!

I do LOVE some of invincible.

I HAVE to say no...but more to do with the fact I think the album is to long and should have been cut shorter by taking out some of the weaker songs. Shout should have been on there too!

I do LOVE some of invincible.

hmm..for me, 'Shout' was equal to what ended up on the album, but what ended up on the album sounds more original, as Shout is based on a song from many years before. i feel like MJ made all the right choices. and i love the album, too lol

No. It's the one I listen to the least by far. To much filler not enough Thriller.
it's the album i love the most, and it had so much controversy to go up against that's unprecedented, which makes it so much better, cus of how it survived it all.

indeed, great music never dies..and it's best evidence for it, is that it keeps getting talked about.

hmm..for me, 'Shout' was equal to what ended up on the album, but what ended up on the album sounds more original, as Shout is based on a song from many years before. i feel like MJ made all the right choices. and i love the album, too lol
I love how 'dirty' Michael's voice sounds on Shout though! Not enough of that on the album.

Asking me to rate a MJ album is similar to asking a parent to pick his/her favorite child. How? Don't you love all your children. Each child is special in his/her own way. Each one of MJ's album is special in it's own way. I love and own all seven albums Michael released with Epic (including BOTDF) I honestly can't pick a "most favorite" or a "least favorite".

IMO, I feel people are not fair to Invincible. People still want to hold onto the "Thriller-era" Michael or the "BAD-era" Michael. It's very similar to when Michael was a teenager, people want to keep him "Little Michael'. People want to hear the "classic Michael Jackson sound". People want dance track, up-tempo, etc... But, Invincible was heading to an opposite direction. Break of Dawn (muscially and lyrically) is something Michael has never done before. 2000 Watts surprised me in a pleasant way. I love how he sang in the lower registrar. Whatever Happens is hauntingly beautiful and is different than his previous materials. To me, Invincible is a mature album. Yes, it lacks the playfulness and catchiness of his previous albums. But, it definitely grew on me. And, I truly don't think it's inferior when compare to Michael's earlier works.

If Invincible was released by Timberlake or Usher or Chris Brown, the album would be hailed as a big break-through. Since, it's Michael Jackson. People expected more! Sometimes, I feel people's expectation was unrealistic. I actually find it annoying when people always compare his works to Thriller. To me, different time, different situation and different music. It's like apple and orange.

Bottom line - Michael Jackson never released a sub-par album, not even when he was a kid.

And I totally agree that you have to play Michael's music with a good headphone or speakers. His music is multi-layer. You miss out many details with a lousy headphone. Throw away those that come with iPod.

One member pointed out that Michael may have forgot that average listener won't have a 10-foot speaker at home. I agree with everything he/she said. Invincible sounds great with a good system. But, as a perfectionist, it would have pained Michael not to use the best technology has to offer.

And I totally agree that you have to play Michael's music with a good headphone or speakers. His music is multi-layer. You miss out many details with a lousy headphone. Throw away those that come with iPod.

One member pointed out that Michael may have forgot that average listener won't have a 10-foot speaker at home. I agree with everything he/she said. Invincible sounds great with a good system. But, as a perfectionist, it would have pained Michael not to use the best technology has to offer.

I agree...being a big fan of Invincible...I admit that the album must be listened with good speakers to be appreciated correctly and understood.

It was such a radical change in musical style from HIStory. HIStory had more of an older pop sound, but Invincible adopted a newer type of pop sound. It's up to the listener to decide what they like. Honestly, I didn't enjoy it as much as the other albums because I felt that there were too many other writers on the album and not enough songs written solely by MJ. My favorite song off the album is Speechless, and it was written exclusively by Michael!

I think had Michael performed more Invincible songs live, or perhaps toured, I would've liked the album better overall.

I felt that there were too many other writers on the album and not enough songs written solely by MJ. My favorite song off the album is Speechless, and it was written exclusively by Michael!

"thriller", "man in the mirror" and a lot of other songs were not written by MJ...They still great songs...

it's the same with "what ever happens", "butterflies", "2000 watts"

that's why MJ took them...

Very correct Thunder, Invincible did have a more much modern and futuristic sound .This is more true with the faster songs on the album like Unbreakable, Invincible and 2000 Watts and some others..

But what I love is that Invincible, like all of his other albums, it has it's own exclusive vibe/atmosphere and feeling to it.

Invincible is just an amazing album..I became a fan during this Era as well :yes: , every song stands on it's own. To me Invincible is one, if not the best, album that he's ever created.

It was such a radical change in musical style from HIStory. HIStory had more of an older pop sound, but Invincible adopted a newer type of pop sound. It's up to the listener to decide what they like. Honestly, I didn't enjoy it as much as the other albums because I felt that there were too many other writers on the album and not enough songs written solely by MJ. My favorite song off the album is Speechless, and it was written exclusively by Michael!

I think had Michael performed more Invincible songs live, or perhaps toured, I would've liked the album better overall.

Hmm... interesting thought. As a fan of Michael, I think I have a tendency to bias toward songs written by Michael. But, whether Michael was the writer or not, Michael was the main creative force behind the recordings. He made the song his own. I'm sure Man In the Mirror won't be the classic it is now if not sung by Michael. Also, Michael actually received co-writer credits in most of the songs in Invincible. Michael might still be the one who came up with the base, melody and lyris. But, when other musician "improve" the sound, he received cowriter credits. Classic example is "Dangerous", Michael composed and wrote the lyrics. He gave the track to Bill Bottrell. Bill added more drum sound, computer programed it. Then, Teddy Riley further enhanced the instrumentals. Hence, the writers of Dangerous became Michael Jackson, Bill Bottrell and Teddy Riley. I still consider Dangerous a Michael Jackson creation.

Sorry to be off topic!

"thriller", "man in the mirror" and a lot of other songs were not written by MJ...They still great songs...

it's the same with "what ever happens", "butterflies", "2000 watts"

that's why MJ took them...
I understand that several classics were written by others. I should've said something along the lines of, there were too many writers per song. It ended up being a conglomeration of the influences of each writer. Heaven Can Wait had SEVEN co-writers. Seven! Only three songs on the album were credited to one writer: Speechless and The Lost Children to Michael, and Cry to R. Kelly. Compared to the previous album, HIStory, eight songs had one writer (seven by Michael and one by R. Kelly). Invincible has the least amount of songs written by one person of any album Michael released on the Epic label. Invincible seems more to me like an "MJ&Friends" collaboration rather than a full MJ album.

I understand that several classics were written by others. I should've said something along the lines of, there were too many writers per song. It ended up being a conglomeration of the influences of each writer. Heaven Can Wait had SEVEN co-writers. Seven! Only three songs on the album were credited to one writer: Speechless and The Lost Children to Michael, and Cry to R. Kelly. Compared to the previous album, HIStory, eight songs had one writer (seven by Michael and one by R. Kelly). Invincible has the least amount of songs written by one person of any album Michael released on the Epic label. Invincible seems more to me like an "MJ&Friends" collaboration rather than a full MJ album.

you seem to forget that TDCAU was also composed by Bryan Loren...(forgotten in the credits)

Stranger in Moscow was also co-composed by Brad Buxer also forgotten in the credits.

But I agree with your last sentence...and I don't really care...as MJ and Q said : "Music first !"

Last edited:
you seem to forget that TDCAU was also composed by Bryan Loren...(forgotten in the credits)

Stranger in Moscow was also co-composed by Brad Buxer also forgotten in the credits.

But I agree with your last sentence...and I don't really care...as MJ and Q said : "Music first !"
Forgotten in the credits? If that's the case can't he just sue them in order to gain proper credit?

And composed =/= written... I think.

Forgotten in the credits? If that's the case can't he just sue them in order to gain proper credit?

And composed =/= written... I think.

both bryan loren and brad buxer (last black and white magazine) said that they don't care...

I don't get why people think they are being disloyal or betraying Michael if they don't completely love every single note he ever recorded.

It's like some posts in the 'Worst Classic' thread saying it's wrong and 'how can you post this'. The fact is to my mind Michael Jackson created some of the best music ever to hit this planet and 90% of his adult solo work is stunning, but Invincible just didn't cut it.

Some of it was good, and there are moments of greatness (Threatened, Unbreakable, Whatever Happens & Butterflies). But musically speaking, not as a fan of Michael Jackson the man, but Michael Jackson the music, it's his worst solo album.

I don't get why people think they are being disloyal or betraying But musically speaking, not as a fan of Michael Jackson the man, but Michael Jackson the music, it's his worst solo album.

63 % of the fans disagree...

to me for example, the worst is History : DS, TTA, Money, 2bad are the weakest tracks, he ever recorded.

Back