Is "Invincible" as good as previous MJ's Albums ?

Is Invincible as Good as previous MJ's Albums...

• YES

Votes: 188 64.6%
  • NO

Votes: 103 35.4%

• Total voters
I usually like longer albums. I like getting my moneys worth and I like that MJ used to try and fit as many songs as possible onto every new album.

But with Invincible, it didn't work. The weaker songs drag down the pace of the album. The first half is pretty solid, everything from Unbreakable - Speechless. It all seems to go off the rails in the second half. There's no flow, it goes from a futuristic N Sync sounding song (2000 Watts), to a ballad, to a 90's-sounding media-hating song, then another ballad, then Cry (which is just a poor mans MITM)... that whole section of the album really drags it down overall.

Cut that part of the album, keeping only YAML, add on Escape and We've Had Enough and Invincible would be so much better.

This would be my ideal Invincible:

1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker
3. Invincible
4. Break Of Dawn
5. Heaven Can Wait
6. YRMW
7. Butterflies
8. Speechless
9. Escape
10. You Are My Life
11. We've Had Enough
12. The Lost Children
13. Whatever Happens
14. Threatened

That is so much better to me.

you can do the same with History :

replace DS, TTA and Money or Come together by Is It Scary, Ghost, Morphine and Blood on the Dancefloor

This would be my ideal Invincible:

1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker
3. Invincible
4. Break Of Dawn
5. Heaven Can Wait
6. YRMW
7. Butterflies
8. Speechless
9. Escape
10. You Are My Life
11. We've Had Enough
12. The Lost Children
13. Whatever Happens
14. Threatened

That is so much better to me.

Perfect. Although ironically it still would have paled in comparison with OTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous & HIStory. Because there are no amazing tracks on there, just some very good ones, but nothing that compared to Who Is It, Give In To Me, Will You Be There, Jam, TDCAU, Earth Song, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, WBSS, Billie Jean, DSTYGE. These are the songs that I feel are classics and songs only Michael Jackson could make.

Although ironically it still would have paled in comparison with OTW, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous & HIStory.

True.

The ideal scenario would be Speechless, YRMW and 14 brand new songs.

But we can only pick from what they recorded....

you can do the same with History :

replace DS, TTA and Money or Come together by Is It Scary, Ghost, Morphine and Blood on the Dancefloor

No way. Putting a song about dancing sandwiched between They Don't Care About Us and Stranger In Moscow would just ruin the flow of the album. HIStory had it's concept, and for better or worse, it worked. DS and Money are solid tracks and belong on HIStory.

Privacy, Don't Walk Away and Cry don't belong on any Michael Jackson album.

True.

The ideal scenario would be Speechless, YRMW and 14 brand new songs.

But we can only pick from what they recorded....

No way. Putting a song about dancing sandwiched between They Don't Care About Us and Stranger In Moscow would just ruin the flow of the album. HIStory had it's concept, and for better or worse, it worked. DS and Money are solid tracks and belong on HIStory.

That's too harsh, even for me!

I'd keep Threatened, Butterflies, Whatever Happens and (with different production) Unbreakable and possibly Invincible.

That's too harsh, even for me!

LOL.

Yeah, I do like Threatened and Butterflies as well. And I listen to The Lost Children sometimes when nobodies around.

We've Had Enough and Speechless were the only KILLER songs to be recorded during the Invincible era though. These two songs would sound great sitting on any of Michael's classic albums.

True.

i couldn't disagree more :

this is a "better" history

Scream
Morphine
TDCAU
Stranger In Moscow
Ghost
Earth Song
You are not alone
Blood on the dancefloor
Is It scary
History
Little Susie
Smile

12 titles : perfect.

Last edited:
i couldn't disagree more :

this is a "better" history

Scream
Morphine
TDCAU
Stranger In Moscow
Ghost
Earth Song
You are not alone
Blood on the dancefloor
Is It scary
History
Little Susie
Smile

12 titles : perfect.
Sorry but no way in hell is that a better history, where is 2 bad, TJ, Childhood, and come together?

This. All of this. Stranger In Moscow is like the calm after the storm (the storm being TDCAU). A track in between would ruin it for me. And I honest to God love DS.

I'd have liked to have seen him use the BOTDF tracks (Morphine, Ghosts, etc.,) tracks on a full new album (not just a remix album) but that's another topic.

It's not as good as his other abums and anybody who says otherwise either has bad taste or is in denial.

It's a good album with some good songs, one or two great songs and about six or seven distinctly average songs.

Michael's heart obviously wasn't in it. That's not just my opinion, I remember hearing a quote from somebody who worked on the album who said that Michael was "sick to death of the whole thing" come the end of the recording sessions. It shows. Only a few tracks sound like MJ is invested - the rest sounds like outside producers tinkering away.

Michael couldn't even remember the name of Whatever Happens when an interviewer asked him about the Carlos Santana collaboration. That shows how much he really cared about the record.

you disqualified yourself with the bolded. then embarrassed yourself with the rest of your quote. and are very insensitive to Michael with what you said. if anything, you can't tell whether he is tired of how he is treated or not. you seem to have forgotten what he went through. you can't translate that into how he feels about the music. here you are putting his 'assistants' opinions above his on HIS OWN music. that's not your place.don't discount what people spent their money on. your opinion is your opinion. nothing more. so please don't insult other peoples' tastes. just discuss your own taste...or else people can easily say the same thing negative about YOUR taste.

Last edited:
LOL.

Yeah, I do like Threatened and Butterflies as well. And I listen to The Lost Children sometimes when nobodies around.

When I listen to The Lost Children I open all windows in my house and put the volume to the max. (u shouldn't be ashamed of the songs you listen to)

To me it's refreshing sometimes to listen to Invincible, as most part of it is a different style/sound.

Am I the only one that likes Privacy? I admit, I really did not like it at first...but i think it's quite good....I just think the chorus could have been a bit more exciting...
No, you are not alone, I also like "Privacy". :) I have always liked his "anti media" songs like "Leave Me Alone", "Why You Wanna Trip On Me" and "Tabloid Junkie".
I love Invincible, it's a great album. Most people think there are too many songs on it, but I am the opposite: the more, the better :lol: I also love the outtakes we've heard so far, it's a pity they weren't chosen for the album, for example, I really love "Escape" (would have been an amazing lead single) and "(No Friend of Mine) Blue Gangster".
I like "Cry" but I would have put "What More Can I Give" on the album instead.

I think he needed songs like Tabloid junkie and Privacy on his albums to tell the fans the truth.We know that there were so many lies about him in tabloids and tv and he got the message out in his songs that stories are twisted and turned.

He could leave messages to his official web-site and fanforums but he knew he had so many fans who didn´t visit those sites.But fans would buy his albums.
I like Privacy.

The only problem I see with Vince is that there were too many producers who were too young/had nothing really to give. The Michael factor was kind of lost in many of the songs, especially in the fast ones.

I think Invincible is an incredible album! People are entitled to their personal opinion on the album and I respect that. I am entitled to mine as well. The Invincible album wasn't really given a chance due to that whole Sony fiasco and that is ashame. I do think there are some songs on the album that could have been replaced with other songs that were recorded for the album. But overall, I think it is amazing. My favorite songs on that album are Unbreakable, Heartbreaker, Break Of Dawn, You Rock My World, Butterflies, Speechless, Whatever Happens, and Threatened. Butterflies is my ultimate favorite from this album. If there is a stick out song from this album, it would be Whatever Happens. It's not a typical Michael Jackson dance song. It's a haunting ballad telling a story. You even have Carlos Santana on guitar. I believe that this song would have been a big hit for Michael if this album had been given the proper promotion it deserved. Finally, to answer the question, I say that Invincible, in my opinion, is as good as his previous albums. I pray that it gets more appreciation in years to come.

I gotta say that i really love the bridges on Heartbreaker and Invincible. Whenever i hear those bridges i always think to myself ''Now that's classic Michael Jackson right there''. It just has great melody

Nope !

great songs, but not a great album ! u know what i mean !

Last edited:
YES! I've never understood why Invincible got such a hard time :( it's one of my favourite and most listened to albums

YES.

I love Invincible. I love songs:

You Rock My World
Heaven Can Wait
Butterflies
Speechless
Whatever Happens
Threatened

Here is the problem with Invincible, and its not Michael's fault at all.

If you think back to previous albums and you look at the track listing, you look at them and think. Oh yeah I know that! Scream! The one with the really expensive video that he did with Janet. You Are Not Alone! Wow, yeah I like that one it was quite a big hit and he was half naked in the video with his wife.

Black Or White! Wow yeah I remember the video to that and all the hype and controversy around the song and video.

Thriller! The one with the incredible scary music video and the song is great too. Billie Jean, one of the best songs ever and I remember Mj doing the moonwalk for the first time to this song!

There are allways songs on MJ's albums that stand out, and have somewhat of a gimmick connected to them. When you think of Smooth Criminal you think of the music video and the lean and the rest of the cool moves in that video. There is allways stand out songs on the album and something you immediately think off when you hear or see that song.

Unfortunately, that cannot be achieved without a single release or music video. Aside from You Rock My World, only Cry had a music video and Michael wasnt even in it and not many people were aware of the song.

You Rock My World is a great song and I know quite a lot of none MJ-Fans who list it as one of their favourite MJ songs believe it or not.

In the end, you have an album full of good or great songs but they dont really mean as much. There are songs that dont need that such as You Are My Life and The Lost Children.

People pick up this album, look at the back and say. Oh, I dont know any of these and put it back down again. Little do they know that its actually full of great songs.

For me it is actually one of my favourite albums to listen to, because you have to come up with your own image for the song in your head. Its like when people prefer reading the book to seeing the film of the book, you come up with your own perception of the song rather than it just being given to you in the form of a music video or even live performance.

Here is the problem with Invincible, and its not Michael's fault at all.

If you think back to previous albums and you look at the track listing, you look at them and think. Oh yeah I know that! Scream! The one with the really expensive video that he did with Janet. You Are Not Alone! Wow, yeah I like that one it was quite a big hit and he was half naked in the video with his wife.

Black Or White! Wow yeah I remember the video to that and all the hype and controversy around the song and video.

Thriller! The one with the incredible scary music video and the song is great too. Billie Jean, one of the best songs ever and I remember Mj doing the moonwalk for the first time to this song!

There are allways songs on MJ's albums that stand out, and have somewhat of a gimmick connected to them. When you think of Smooth Criminal you think of the music video and the lean and the rest of the cool moves in that video. There is allways stand out songs on the album and something you immediately think off when you hear or see that song.

Unfortunately, that cannot be achieved without a single release or music video. Aside from You Rock My World, only Cry had a music video and Michael wasnt even in it and not many people were aware of the song.

You Rock My World is a great song and I know quite a lot of none MJ-Fans who list it as one of their favourite MJ songs believe it or not.

In the end, you have an album full of good or great songs but they dont really mean as much. There are songs that dont need that such as You Are My Life and The Lost Children.

People pick up this album, look at the back and say. Oh, I dont know any of these and put it back down again. Little do they know that its actually full of great songs.

For me it is actually one of my favourite albums to listen to, because you have to come up with your own image for the song in your head. Its like when people prefer reading the book to seeing the film of the book, you come up with your own perception of the song rather than it just being given to you in the form of a music video or even live performance.

Whilst it would have been nice to see more music videos from Invincible, I simply don't agree that it would've changed how people view the album as a whole.

The songs just aren't as good as his previous albums. Name me a single up-tempo song on Invincible as passionate as TDCAU or as gut-wrenching as Earth Song? Name me a song on Invincible as masterful and elegant as Who Is It?

The weaker songs on HIStory and Dangerous are better than the best songs on Invincible.

Whilst it would have been nice to see more music videos from Invincible, I simply don't agree that it would've changed how people view the album as a whole.

The songs just aren't as good as his previous albums. Name me a single up-tempo song on Invincible as passionate as TDCAU or as gut-wrenching as Earth Song? Name me a song on Invincible as masterful and elegant as Who Is It?

The weaker songs on HIStory and Dangerous are better than the best songs on Invincible.
i couldn't disagree more with you...because we could say the same remarks with other mj's albums :

i don't see in History a song as passionate as "what ever happens"...do you ?

i don't see in Dangerous a song as beautifull as "speechless"...do you ?

Uptempos like Unbreakable or Threatened are as good and innovative as Scream, Jam or Smooth Criminal (imo...)

2000 watts is more innovative than facebook and Apple united.

Invincible stands on its own....

I love the discussion going on here. I agree a lack of videos has a lot to do with the perception of an album. The alround entertainment value is less apparent in Invincible, but it makes it all the more an intimate album to me. I have stopped comparing MJ albums, as each of them is a lovely wonderland in its own right, and all are very unique.

The alround entertainment value is less apparent in Invincible, but it makes it all the more an intimate album to me. I have stopped comparing MJ albums, as each of them is a lovely wonderland in its own right, and all are very unique.

:yes::yes: As i said in another thread, it has become my favorite album of all time. Not only is it as good as his previous albums, but it is better.

i couldn't disagree more with you...because we could say the same remarks with other mj's albums :

i don't see in History a song as passionate as "what ever happens"...do you ?

i don't see in Dangerous a song as beautifull as "speechless"...do you ?

Uptempos like Unbreakable or Threatened are as good and innovative as Scream, Jam or Smooth Criminal (imo...)

2000 watts is more innovative than facebook and Apple united.

Invincible stands on its own....

Both of you have crossed the line a bit here. No, the worst songs in HIStory and Dangerous are not better than the best songs in Vince BUT.

Stranger in moscow is far more passionate than What ever happens. And Will you be there is perhaps MJ's most beautiful song there is. i think the uptempo songs are in line with Scream, Jam, Baby be mine, DSTYGE, etc. But it has nothing on songs like TDCAU or 2 bad IMO.

Back