Is It Scary vs Ghosts

SkyWalk

Proud Member
I can't decide if I had to choose which of these songs is better.

What is the origin of these song? are they connected in any way? Were they once the same song? I'm assuming Ghosts was written during the Dangerous era? Was Is It Scary written around the same time?

And is MJ the first artist to have 2 different songs released that pretty munch use the same lyrics?

Ghosts was written first -- c. 1991 with Teddy Riley for Dangerous.

Is It Scary was recorded between the spring and summer of 1993 with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis for the Addams Family Value soundtrack. After the Chandler allegations hit, the film's producers decided against using it in the final film.

One of the songs was considered and dropped for History, though I can't recall which one.

There are other artists who have recycled lyrics before. Sting has three songs that include the lyric, "Do I have to tell the story of a thousand rainy days since we first met?/It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet."

Thanks nice one.

Also not just same lyrics but with same melody?

I consider Is It Scary to be superior artistically, though Ghosts is just a jam. Depends on the day.

Is It Scary is one of MJ's best songs lyrically IMO. Ghosts is probably more catchy melodically.

I have to pick Is It Scary (though I love both) because of the autobiographical story behind it. It fits so perfectly metaphorically to his life.

Basically stating you are going to see what you are looking for in him.. If you come with judgment and bad expectations you will see him that way... And "if you came to see the truth of purity it's right here inside a lonely heart"

So powerful to me... You expect evil you will see evil in someone and if you look to someone with beauty you will see that

I solve this dilemma by thinking of them both as one fantastic suite. The two songs blend together in aural perfection.

Is It Scary anyway. I would place it highly on any compilations of Michael's best work.

I have to pick Is It Scary (though I love both) because of the autobiographical story behind it. It fits so perfectly metaphorically to his life.

Basically stating you are going to see what you are looking for in him.. If you come with judgment and bad expectations you will see him that way... And "if you came to see the truth of purity it's right here inside a lonely heart"

So powerful to me... You expect evil you will see evil in someone and if you look to someone with beauty you will see that

Yep, and also what someone see in him is a reflection of that person's own mind and soul . Someone with a dirty corrupt mind is gonna imagine they see evil and corruption. It's like how some of the haters are so fixated on that idea he was a pedophile to the point it seems like they actually want the kids to have been molested. In their own mind they cant imagine an adult wanting to hang out with kids without having sex with them. Which says a lot more about their own inclinations than it says about Michael.

And is MJ the first artist to have 2 different songs released that pretty much use the same lyrics?
Some of the lyrics from The Message by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five was in their earlier song Superrappin'. Melle Mel from that group also used the same rap he did in Chaka Khan's I Feel For You in his song Step Off. Older blues singers like John Lee Hooker sometimes released songs under different titles with similar lyrics.

Is It Scary - I've always loved that song.

Lyrics are amazing, the song is so very different from anything else released. Beatiful and powerful. - Best song from BOTDF.

Well, I enjoy the still futuristic and modern sounding 'Ghosts'. The drums are out of this world and also the Michael's voice on the lead an backing vocals are spot on. Beautiful and creative track!

Both are great songs

But for me, I've got to go with Is It Scary. Every aspect of that song is frighteningly amazing. It should be a more "well known" MJ track

Is It Scary anyway. I would place it highly on any compilations of Michael's best work.

Is It Scary - I've always loved that song.

Lyrics are amazing, the song is so very different from anything else released. Beatiful and powerful. - Best song from BOTDF.

Completely agree with all of the above. Is it scary is among Michael's best work ever and without a doubt the best song from the BOTDF album. Ghosts is very catchy and the movie makes it even more amazing, but musically and lyrically Is it scary and Morphine are even better, especially Is it scary. Not only is the song an absolute masterpiece in terms of musical greatness, but also the lyrics are fantastic.

I've always found it highly ironic how people used to think of Michael as a man completely detached from reality, when the lyrics to Is it scary (and other songs going as far back as WYYTOM) show how painfully aware he was of the erroneous perception so much of the public had of him.

Ghosts was written first -- c. 1991 with Teddy Riley for Dangerous.

Is It Scary was recorded between the spring and summer of 1993 with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis for the Addams Family Value soundtrack. After the Chandler allegations hit, the film's producers decided against using it in the final film.

One of the songs was considered and dropped for History, though I can't recall which one.

There are other artists who have recycled lyrics before. Sting has three songs that include the lyric, "Do I have to tell the story of a thousand rainy days since we first met?/It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet."
He did not write Is it scary in 93..the 93 version was is this scary fit the Addams family values

I would definitely have to select Is It Scary, as it's easily one of my favorite songs from Blood On The Dance Floor and I always loved its transition to Scream Louder (Flyte Tyme Remix), since it's also one of those moments where I forget when one song ends and the other one starts for a few seconds. It also seems like a perfect way to end that portion of the album in that way, especially with Blood On The Dance Floor being an excellent way to start it up too.

Mousse T's remix of Ghosts is excellent, love the laid back guitar groove.

Back