Is Janet the Next Cher?

billyworld99

Proud Member
More than a week has passed since I saw Janet Jackson at Radio City Music Hall, and I’m still smiling, much to the chagrin/surprise of a friend who asked me, the day before the show, why I was bothering. He’d seen her a couple of times, the most recent in 2002, and seemed to be saying, What has she done for us lately?

True, there hasn’t been a new album since 2008; the tour was titled “# 1’s,” after a hits collection released in 2009. Her last tour was beset by cancellations and postponements caused by, we were told, migraines and vertigo. And of course in 2009 her brother Michael died, so there was a huge opportunity for melodrama and maudlin spectacle. But instead for almost two hours she reminded the capacity crowd that she has taken care of her recording career for two and a half decades. More than 30 songs came spilling out, one seemingly more familiar than the last, and, like most well-written and –produced pop songs, they all slipped the bands of time. “Control” — charged and confident and bubbling — seemed as appropriate for a 44-year-old woman as it did for a defiant post-teenager, much as “Half Breed” did for Cher at 60 and 27. And while Jackson, like Cher, was not blessed with the strongest vocal chops, the two women each have an innate pop sensibility and a flexibility/malleability that has allowed them to roll with the punches and trends. And they are both tireless workers: Jackson danced, sang, changed costumes (with no malfunctions) so hard and so good-naturedly during the Radio City show that there was barely a minute for her to talk the audience. (The tribute to Michael, which featured some backdrop pictures of him, was classy and understated.) As Prince said during one of his own more recent shows, “So many hits, so little time.”

This is not to say that Jackson won’t ever make another important record; Cher, after all, had her biggest hit, “Believe,” when she was 52. If Jackson hooks up with the right producer or even reunites with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, the co-architects of most of her hits, she could find herself back at the top of the charts. But whether or not that happens, she will endure. I’m looking forward to hearing her sing, prance and giggle her way through “Escapade” 20 years down the road.
Source:NYTIMES.com

I do think Janet could have another big hit, but she'd have to drop these fun, sex songs and go back to writing from the heart, the tour she's doing is a great way to reestablish herself herself and then make a comeback album, but its all about how it is handled. But her current team do seem to be doing a good job with her, so fingers crossed she can have a 'Believe' like song soon.

it might have been possible for Cher back in the late 90s but it's impossible now IMO, maybe Madonna is able to recreate a 'Believe' but Janet isn't, and even with Madonna this is extremely unrealistic as times have changed.

Personally Janet needs to get bakc her routes, and stop trying with new age RnB
She needs to get a great hooky tune and strike with that then maybe a few collabs with other stars ... just a thought

maybe a couple months of months ago I would have wouldn't have been so sure, I wonder thou with Jlo recent success is radio more open to playing females over 40 , if so I could see Janet haveing another hit.

The thing with J. Lo is though she is old, around 42 I believe, she hasn't been around much, she's had several hits in the last decade, at least in the early years, 00-05/4, Janet on the other hand only had a hit with All for you and after that it all went down. She wasn't even able to have successful singles apart from what she had in 01, Jennifer was pretty much present in the first 4/5 years of the last decade, having one hit song after another.

Last edited:
But there's a reason as to why Janet's songs flopped at that time, up until a couple of years ago MTV and the radio all black listed Janet, and that made it physically impossible for Janet to have a hit, and she still managed to get no.1's, not many would be able to do that, radio and MTV are pretty much needed for a hit.
MTV only just with Feedback started playing her again and even then it was rarely played, and then the radio wasn't really supporting her. J.Lo as much as I love her, had no reason as to why her singles flopped, so its just as likely to happen for Janet as it was J.Lo, and you could even say that the exposure on AI helped her to get back.

J.lo started flopping cuz she didn't evolve though she was older

I'm not sure. I hope it will happen for her if that's what she wants, nothing is impossible.

The thing with J. Lo is though she is old, around 42 I believe, she hasn't been around much, she's had several hits in the last decade, at least in the early years, 00-05, Janet on the other hand only had a hit with All for you and after that it all went down. She wasn't even able to have successful singles apart from what she had in 01, Jennifer was pretty much present in the first 4/5 years of the last decade, having one hit song after another.

Jlo's true last hit here was in 2003, but her singles in the uk I still think decent .

But there's a reason as to why Janet's songs flopped at that time, up until a couple of years ago MTV and the radio all black listed Janet, and that made it physically impossible for Janet to have a hit, and she still managed to get no.1's, not many would be able to do that, radio and MTV are pretty much needed for a hit.
MTV only just with Feedback started playing her again and even then it was rarely played, and then the radio wasn't really supporting her. J.Lo as much as I love her, had no reason as to why her singles flopped, so its just as likely to happen for Janet as it was J.Lo, and you could even say that the exposure on AI helped her to get back.

jlo flopped because after "bennifer" people were sick of her.

Jlo's true last hit here was in 2003, but her singles in the uk I still think decent .

I know that that is why I said 00-04, I didn't know the exact year but I knew that it must have been sometime between oo and 05 the latest. I don't know how much she is able to sell in the UK though

damn with the maudlin and melodrama comment. these media are assholes. no conscience. no emotion. no heart. why does the tribute have to be understated? their pathetic envy never sleeps.

I would like Janet to make a "believe". I still think it is possible if she wants it. Question is: does she strive for a nr. 1? or does she make the music that she enjoys? is she indecicive about what she wants?

Janet is not a power house vocalist, not by a long shot, but she is no where near a weak vocalist like some of you like to make out, if you actually analyze her voice, she actually has a quiet impressive range, much more impressive than the likes of Britney Speaks and Madonna:

Last edited:
I believe that it is very possible for Janet to have another hit. It's all a matter of the material she puts out and the timing. Despite anyone's personal opinion, I do believe there is still a demand for Janet Jackson.

come on...you talk about janet like if she was 90 y.o ...michael was 50 when he died..and everyone here think he could make a hit... janet is so young...pufff
she is a queen come on lets get serious here...

billyworld99;3324510 said:
More than a week has passed since I saw Janet Jackson at Radio City Music Hall, and I’m still smiling, much to the chagrin/surprise of a friend who asked me, the day before the show, why I was bothering. He’d seen her a couple of times, the most recent in 2002, and seemed to be saying, What has she done for us lately?

True, there hasn’t been a new album since 2008; the tour was titled “# 1’s,” after a hits collection released in 2009. Her last tour was beset by cancellations and postponements caused by, we were told, migraines and vertigo. And of course in 2009 her brother Michael died, so there was a huge opportunity for melodrama and maudlin spectacle. But instead for almost two hours she reminded the capacity crowd that she has taken care of her recording career for two and a half decades. More than 30 songs came spilling out, one seemingly more familiar than the last, and, like most well-written and –produced pop songs, they all slipped the bands of time. “Control” — charged and confident and bubbling — seemed as appropriate for a 44-year-old woman as it did for a defiant post-teenager, much as “Half Breed” did for Cher at 60 and 27. And while Jackson, like Cher, was not blessed with the strongest vocal chops, the two women each have an innate pop sensibility and a flexibility/malleability that has allowed them to roll with the punches and trends. And they are both tireless workers: Jackson danced, sang, changed costumes (with no malfunctions) so hard and so good-naturedly during the Radio City show that there was barely a minute for her to talk the audience. (The tribute to Michael, which featured some backdrop pictures of him, was classy and understated.) As Prince said during one of his own more recent shows, “So many hits, so little time.”

This is not to say that Jackson won’t ever make another important record; Cher, after all, had her biggest hit, “Believe,” when she was 52. If Jackson hooks up with the right producer or even reunites with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, the co-architects of most of her hits, she could find herself back at the top of the charts. But whether or not that happens, she will endure. I’m looking forward to hearing her sing, prance and giggle her way through “Escapade” 20 years down the road.
Source:NYTIMES.com

Well said! I really enjoyed this commentary. I very much want to see Janet in concert but won't have the chance...:( Very dissappointed about that. Anyway, great article!!!...:clap:

She doesn't show it very often but her voice is strong enough. She wanted to try something "new" on her Discipline album but this "new" (for her) is something what other r'n'b artists have been doing for quite some time, maybe this is the reason why her album and tour didn't really work. Personally I was a bit disappointed with that album. But she's a hard working lady and an outstanding performer so I'm 100% sure she can do it.

her last hit is All for you.... i think that she must work only with Jam & Lewis... not with Dupri or Jerkins

Back