Is the Estate still planning to release HIStory Tour 3D?

Let's be honest here.

I don't get it. Why would anyone want to see a tour where the greatest entertainer of all time is only giving 50% for most of it? Why, if the estate supposedly has film access to the Dangerous and Bad tours, would they put out this third-rate show? I may be biased because I don't want to see any more tour releases, but I would much rather pay to see a good performance than a weak one.

I've spoken to a few casual fans and showed them all performances of the J5 Melody from Wembley 1988, Bucharest 1992 and Helsinki 1997. Although it was torn over what was the best, it was unanimous that the HIStory tour was the absolute worst. "It's like he's not even trying," one of them said. "It's kinda sad actually. He's so picturesque in the other ones."

This came from casual fans. Even people I've spoken to who DON'T like Michael have to give him props for his energy during his shows. The release of this would be too easy for people to criticize.

Hey, let's not forget that the HIStory tour wasn't released in Christmas 1997 based on Michael's own recommendation, because he was disappointed in the tour and thought the release wouldn't be up to par from his other ones. Which is why the Seoul VHS was mostly only sold in that country.

Just as people make petitions for the release of a show, I would like to see a petition that demanded the show not be released. I don't mean to be a Debby Downer, but we all preach that Michael's legacy needs to be solidified, it needs to be remembered forever. And the HIStory tour will NOT do that.

Well we got the HIStory Tour all over youtube so it's not like it's rare

as long as the dangerous and bad tours are released in cinemas from the identified film reels then i don't mind this tour getting released officially also! especially amsterdam or sydney.. around 24 minutes of live vocals! it's not all that bad, and when we do get blu rays of the other tours.. we won't be missing an officially released one in our collection. which i'm happy about

Like i said before i'm not against a HIStory Tour release but it should be released only on DVD/Blu ray as a low key release for the fans. Putting HIStory Tour in cinemas would be a stupid thing to do

Like i said before i'm not against a HIStory Tour release but it should be released only on DVD/Blu ray as a low key release for the fans. Putting HIStory Tour in cinemas would be a stupid thing to do

true, but let's not forget that this is it mostly included playback vocals over the live recording's! some people noticed in the cinema i went to watch it at on october 28th 2009. yet no one left, it was most when michael had no microphone during thriller. but they all stayed until the end, i don't think the playback thing will be that much of an issue, with the energetic dancing of mostly every concert from that tour other than munich

My Mother who went to several of the concerts says she is sure about him singing Billie Jean live in Gothenburg and several more of the songs. Because they could hear him missing words and breathing. But nowhere on YouTube you can find a recording of that. I guess he sang behind the playback.

true, but let's not forget that this is it mostly included playback vocals over the live recording's! some people noticed in the cinema i went to watch it at on october 28th 2009. yet no one left, it was most when michael had no microphone during thriller. but they all stayed until the end, i don't think the playback thing will be that much of an issue, with the energetic dancing of mostly every concert from that tour other than munich

He will be ripped apart for the playback. The media take every little opportunity they got to talk crap about Michael and when they see him lip syncing 90% of a show they are gonna have a field day.

If a Michael Jackson tour is gonna get released to cinemas he needs to be shown at his best because he's being represented as a live performer to the general public. HIStory Tour does not show Michael in a good light as a performer

Also This Is It was rehearsals. HIStory Tour is an actual concert so people would expect more out of Michael then

Last edited:

Why would people walk out of a movie because they don't see a mic on him during Thriller, during a rEhEaRsAl..

My Mother who went to several of the concerts says she is sure about him singing Billie Jean live in Gothenburg and several more of the songs. Because they could hear him missing words and breathing. But nowhere on YouTube you can find a recording of that. I guess he sang behind the playback.

Billie Jean was playback in Gothenburg like in other concerts:

:)

Billie Jean was playback in Gothenburg like in other concerts:

:)

ah, but was there more than one concert in gothenburg though? it's possible he did sing live with the playback, he did that during man in the mirror july 14th 1988! i know its 9 years earlier but it still could be possible! my personal choice is a multitrack show, amsterdam or anything else that isn't munich :)

I think that lots of fans were against it's release so the estate may not end up releasing it after all, and that's a good thing. I love MJ but the HIStory Tour is by far his weakest tour. It's 90% lip synced and now a days artists are immediately called out and made fun of for lip syncing. So if it was ever released theatrically it could do more harm than good to his legacy.

and It's Munich. The worst show on the HIStory Tour.

The only thing I liked about Munich was that flashy leg move during I want you back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I647IXOopCI @ 1:18 I mean.
That move is actually really awesome haha but yeah Munich is just worse in my opinion and History tour is just not a good way to remember him in performance legacy.

ah, but was there more than one concert in gothenburg though? it's possible he did sing live with the playback, he did that during man in the mirror july 14th 1988! i know its 9 years earlier but it still could be possible! my personal choice is a multitrack show, amsterdam or anything else that isn't munich :)

There was only one concert in Gothenburg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIStory_World_Tour#Tour_dates

August 16, 1997. That concert audio doesn't lie because it is untouched audio straight from the soundboard I think. :)

Also when your caught up in actually seeing MJ live in person you may not notice the lip syncing

maybe it was the echo and the breathing from the backing singer's that the person was speaking about then? haha

Haha, sure.. It was the same in Copenhagen on Aug 29 though.

Do we even know for a fact that there was only ONE show filmed in HD and/or 3D?

I'm sure there were more than just the Munich one.

And thinking about it, why settle for one show? Why not do what Beyonce did for her I AM world tour and edit various concert shows into one consistent mix? It could show the wide variety of venues and audiences, and also being able to add in songs that weren't necessarily from ONE show.

Just to show an example of how that release turned out...

I could imagine this ^^ being done when he brings up a girl for You Are Not Alone, or anytime he talked. Just show various shows with different girls.

The whole concert wouldn't have to be edited like this. On most songs, it could just play out as if it's ONE show, or a different city for every song.

It could simply be called Michael Jackson-The HIStory World Tour.

Just an idea.

I don't think the reaction to a HIStory Tour cinema release would be as bad as people are indicating! there is a lot of huger for new Michael Jackson material! still with everything going on, if the message is put across and clips are shown/advertised then it could do well. I won't say it'd do better than This Is It, BAD or DANGEROUS Tour but it certainly won't net a loss for them. especially if it's done right and with respect!

I don't think the reaction to a HIStory Tour cinema release would be as bad as people are indicating! there is a lot of huger for new Michael Jackson material! still with everything going on, if the message is put across and clips are shown/advertised then it could do well. I won't say it'd do better than This Is It, BAD or DANGEROUS Tour but it certainly won't net a loss for them. especially if it's done right and with respect!

There were reviews that noted MJ lipsyncing on the Wembley DVD. It's worth keeping that in mind.

There were reviews that noted MJ lipsyncing on the Wembley DVD. It's worth keeping that in mind.

But Wembley 1988 was still 95% live.

Releasing HIStory Tour to cinemas would be suicide

Last edited:
But Wembley 1988 was still 95% live.

Releasing HIStory Tour to cinemas would be suicide

three lipsynced song's, meaning around 3% each is not 95. it's 91% live, MSG 1988 is 97% live! i wanna see that show more than any other, smooth criminal and twymmf with live vocals is something we've never witnessed in any other show at all!

You have to understand, not everyone is like us. The general public and reviewers look at stuff a bit differently.

Just toss the dang thing with a re-release of HIStory! :D

It's not new material though. It's material that anyone could go on YouTube and look up for free.

The HIStory tour will be a huge loss for the estate, that much I can promise. The reason This Is It made so much money is because it dropped right after Michael died and people wanted to see what he was planning. The lip synching wasn't analyzed because it was rehearsals, and NO artist gives their all during rehearsals.

It's not new material though. It's material that anyone could go on YouTube and look up for free.

The HIStory tour will be a huge loss for the estate, that much I can promise. The reason This Is It made so much money is because it dropped right after Michael died and people wanted to see what he was planning. The lip synching wasn't analyzed because it was rehearsals, and NO artist gives their all during rehearsals.

I've came to agree with this! but saying there shouldn't be any HIStory Tour release isn't right! Michael was overall happy with this tour I believe! he focused more on his dancing, at various points he sang some of scream, Dangerous & all of beat it with live vocals! and one second of thriller too, there should be a Blu-Ray release.. but only for the hardcore fans. Brunei is wonderful, Auckland is good! as is Sydney, Tunis & Amsterdam! maybe a compilation show? just saying.. why miss one Tour when you can have all three? is all I'm saying!

I've came to agree with this! but saying there shouldn't be any HIStory Tour release isn't right! Michael was overall happy with this tour I believe! he focused more on his dancing, at various points he sang some of scream, Dangerous & all of beat it with live vocals! and one second of thriller too, there should be a Blu-Ray release.. but only for the hardcore fans. Brunei is wonderful, Auckland is good! as is Sydney, Tunis & Amsterdam! maybe a compilation show? just saying.. why miss one Tour when you can have all three? is all I'm saying!

Personally, I don't think so, but as always I respect your opinion :)

Regarding Michael's feelings over the tour, like I've said, he DID cancel a Christmas release of the Munich show because he was unhappy with his performance. Personally I feel like he really wasn't happy with the tour. It was a shadow of the phenomena he had put on during the Dangerous and Bad tours.

i think there should be a HIStory release, but not for theaters. If they want to show a concert in cinemas, It would be best to release Bad or Dangerous.

I think they should for sure release a HIStory show, but for HIStory 25.
HIStory album remastered.
Outtakes
Rerelease of the Vinyl set
HIStory tour 2 dvd or blu ray set, including a full HIStory show, and HIStory tour rehearsal footage.
One Night Only Rehearsals
Ghosts on blu ray, with the making of Ghosts, and an additional hour or so of unseen footage.

that is something i DO want to see happen, but i would prefer a Bad or Dangerous to be shown in theaters.

Back