Is Why? w/3T Michael's song or 3T's?

Very true, that. No new jack swing I’ve heard – except Mike doing new jack swing – sound like Mike doing new jack swing. A lot of it has to do with his vocals, of course.
Some of the male NJS singers patterned their vocals on Charlie Wilson from The Gap Band, not Michael Jackson. Aaron Hall from Guy is a straight copy of Charlie, and so was early R. Kelly. Mike doesn't sing like Charlie so of course it's going to sound different. Charlie himself has a Stevie Wonder/Donny Hathaway vocal style. Ralph Tresvant from New Edition has Mike style vocals. Maybe Kathy Sledge too. One of the leads of the all female funk band Klymaxx (Joyce "Fenderella" Irby) sounds similar to mid-1970s Mike.

Last edited:
Not really. Bad feels complete overall and well selected. History and Invincible do not.
Last time I listened, Bad did flow like a greatest hits collection. Cohesiveness is not really the strength, or priority of any MJ record. Except for Off The Wall, and again, Xscape sounds pretty cohesive with largely the same producer from beginning to end.

Some of the male NJS singers patterned their vocals on Charlie Wilson from The Gap Band, not Michael Jackson. Aaron Hall from Guy is a straight copy of Charlie, and so was early R. Kelly. Mike doesn't sing like Charlie so of course it's going to sound different. Charlie himself has a Stevie Wonder/Donny Hathaway vocal style. Ralph Tresvant from New Edition has Mike style vocals. Maybe Kathy Sledge too. One of the leads of the all female funk band Klymaxx (Joyce "Fenderella" Irby) sounds similar to mid-1970s Mike.
Charlie Wilson is the closest thing I’ve heard to Stevie Wonder. Especially on slower songs like the Gap Band’s (awesome) Nothin’ Comes to Sleepers.

MJ didn't sing lyrics off paper though. It was off memory wasn't it?

Black or White was sung before it was finished with being produced. Why, he would've either sung just the chorus, before he memorized the rest, or before it was conceived. Babyface also cowrote it.
Yes I didn't literally meant 'written'; but 'Why' is his song, so he would have sung 3T the verses to rehearse..? On the phone perhaps? Then we need that voicemail lol

Ooh okay. Yeah there's conflicting info for sure. I do think it was just a demo that MJ had only recorded the chorus for, he has and we have heard many demos like that.
Yes I still find it interesting! And yes obviously I heard the chorus-only demo's too, but with those I too have my doubts: just seems so weird to record choruses (pretty finalised onest too) without ANY verses around; not even mumbled ones..

I can imagine him recording the choruses seperately, and also him keeping the choruses and verses apart (to prevent leaks, or just process-wise) but zero vocal verses around..? Hard to believe, although I will let it rest for now :)

I'd kill for a solo version but Taj has said MJ only recorded the chorus
I mean, this is pretty much the end of the discussion tbh.
"At first, it was one of our uncle's songs for the 'HIStory' album. He made the mistake to let us listen to it before the release of the album and we fell in love with this track … So we could have the song, but under one condition: we should keep his voice on it. So we kept the chorus as it was, sung by Michael, and we re-sang the verses. Uncle Michael was with us during the recording, he helped us with our singing as well as getting into the atmosphere of the song. You should hear Michael’s version of ’Why’, that would be cool" (Tito Joe Jackson)
But obviously this, if true, us also the end. But of course there's no sources cause it's Frenzy...

I mean, this is pretty much the end of the discussion tbh.

But obviously this, if true, us also the end. But of course there's no sources cause it's Frenzy...
Haha since 'I want to believe', I believe Frenzy's version for now :)

Back