Jackson family tribute concert / October 8th, 2011 / Initial details @ post 87

Do you plan to attend Michael Forever Tribute?

• Yes

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • No

Votes: 162 91.0%

• Total voters
Can you seriously stop it.

CeeLo is HARDLY a has been. In fact he is more popular now than he has ever been, iuncluding when he was with The Goodie Mob. Leona Lewis is still very current and very talented. If I remember corrrectly, And it is from memory, MJ did respect Craig David and Craig has always said positive things about him (correct me if I am wrong). JLS, though they are bublegum, I think are at least popular now in the UK.

The point I'm making is, they may not be who you would like, they may not seem to be what was promsed, but that does not mean you have to exxagerrate their status or demean the artists who have signed up. These are people who have always repped for MJ and I think they really want to honor him. You may not like certain aspects of the tribute show, but can we please stop belittling these fellow fans of MJ who want to do something good for him?
sigh.gif

It is so disheartening to see fellow fans act this way. I am not talking about the other aspects of the show that is of course going to garner disapproval. I mean specifically the aspect I mentioned above.

^Sorry, but Tito's statement was pure exaggeration, and my intention was to point that really - not insults the artists. Besides, at the time he made it, there were no confirmed acts even. It was after the press conference, that Katherine sent out the invitation and got majority of the acts on board.

And seriously, whether or not they are hot at the moment is not the point. The point is, Tito saying all these artists were admired by Michael, which I highly doubt. And, him making the statement even before most of them were signed-on.

wouldn't hurt mine. but even though it might be a huge huge success it wouldn't change my opinion of it being inappropriate timing and not good enough.

Let's be brutally honest here, look to most known examples of tribute concerts for Freddy Mercury and Princess Diana. See the line-ups? If a tribute for Michael is going to be done I would expect the biggest artists out there and I'm sure most of them would be a part. U2 and Madonna did their tributes to Michael. Usher, Chris Brown, Jamie Foxx, Bruno Mars had their tributes and covers as well. there's a large group of people that loves Michael and says so such as Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber. there are a lot of musicians that worked with Michael and/or friends with him Lenny Kravitz, Akon, William / Black eyed Peas/ Fergie etc. I would also include people that knew him for a long time such as Diana Ross, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie etc. add to that all the Jacksons - yes even including the new generations. and then give an open invite to any artist that wants to take part. That would be something worthy of Michael Jackson. That would be something worthy of me spending thousands of dollars to attend. Simply put this is not that.

So this tribute could be a success and it wouldn't bug me or hurt my ego but to me it will still be not good enough and inappropriately timed and priced.

The only thing I really fear from a successful concert is that it would encourage the Jacksons to keep doing this kind of stuff. They obviously never learned their lessons from the Victory Tour because it was still a big success despite the problems they had. If they can get away with this half-ass event, god knows what else they may do in the future in Michael's name and give the estate even more grief. Not to mention it would keep encouraging them to use Michael's kids like a token to reel in fans and the media.

Really, the Jacksons need a big slap of reality before they stop or at least pause before doing something like this again.

Let's be brutally honest here, look to most known examples of tribute concerts for Freddy Mercury and Princess Diana. See the line-ups? If a tribute for Michael is going to be done I would expect the biggest artists out there and I'm sure most of them would be a part. U2 and Madonna did their tributes to Michael. Usher, Chris Brown, Jamie Foxx, Bruno Mars had their tributes and covers as well. there's a large group of people that loves Michael and says so such as Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber. there are a lot of musicians that worked with Michael and/or friends with him Lenny Kravitz, Akon, William / Black eyed Peas/ Fergie etc. I would also include people that knew him for a long time such as Diana Ross, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie etc. add to that all the Jacksons - yes even including the new generations. and then give an open invite to any artist that wants to take part. That would be something worthy of Michael Jackson. That would be something worthy of me spending thousands of dollars to attend. Simply put this is not that.

Now see THAT IS something that I would definitely want to attend.

What you purpose is something that I would definitely deem WORTHY OF A KING!

I'd leave New York City in a New York Minute, if I had sometlhing like that to look forward to.

The only thing I really fear from a successful concert is that it would encourage the Jacksons to keep doing this kind of stuff. They obviously never learned their lessons from the Victory Tour because it was still a big success despite the problems they had. If they can get away with this half-ass event, god knows what else they may do in the future in Michael's name and give the estate even more grief. Not to mention it would keep encouraging them to use Michael's kids like a token to reel in fans and the media.

Really, the Jacksons need a big slap of reality before they stop or at least pause before doing something like this again.

The Victory tour was such a success because of Michael. He had just released Thriller, and was huge. Most people bought tickets, probably just to see Michael. The brothers were just riding on his success. He also got them to change the ticket policy, which would have helped boost ticket sales.

Yet in still, if your intent was not to demean the artists you did so anyway. The timing of Tito's announcemeant has nothing to do with your listing all of the artists in small font calling all of the ones you listed as has beens, when that is not even the case. There has to be a better way to point out Tito's misrepresentation without cutting all of the other artists off at the knees.

Imagine their situation as well. They are trying to do something for a man they admired. Imagine if they came here to read all of this stuff people are saying about them, or reading all of the tweets towards them, belittling their work, their dreams, and their talent? As I said, it may not be who you expected because of the announcement. But to say, "I expected bigger names", or to say, "I expected more for a tribute to MJ", is much different then calling these fellow fans talentless, has beens, z listers, saying they suck, saying they are worthless, saying they don't care about MJ, etc (You didn't say all of this. I'm just quoting what I have read in multiple areas).

I think the concert could do with some more high profile names, but to me it doesn't take away from the people who have agreed to give up of their time to do something positive. It is a problem of the organizers.

Ivy sums it up wonderfully as always.if some fans think this tribute and the artists taking part is worthy of who mj was then they are living in their own neverland. Sorry if that upsets the artists its nothing personal and its not their fault they are involved in this and we certainly arent blaming them if their motives are legit.its the promoters fault for organising a money grab in the first place but its the truth when u look at all the artists that u would expect to take part in a legitimate and offical tribute and what we have now.it does nothing for mjs legacy etc

Last edited:
So what if the concert is a great positive success and makes MIchael shine.
Will that hurt any fans egos ??

That would be so sad. Hopefully it will make Michael shine.

I don't really understand the negativity about the guest list. It is quite mixed, old, new, all kinds of genres, known names that respect Michael. And it isn't finished yet, right? So all kinds of acts could still be added to the list. To be honest, Michael himself didn't always pick the best acts for his own group concerts... N Sync comes to mind, and all kinds of horrible acts on MJ & Friends (which I attended). I'm not complaining though, because the idea behind it is that it should cater to all different kinds of tastes. You can't please everyone.

Last edited:
The Victory tour was such a success because of Michael. He had just released Thriller, and was huge. Most people bought tickets, probably just to see Michael. The brothers were just riding on his success. He also got them to change the ticket policy, which would have helped boost ticket sales.

True, but you have to remember that the Jacksons don't tend to remember history the same way most fans do. These are the same people who believe they are equal or at least close to Michael in fame and share his fanbase. In their minds, the Victory Tour was a success because the entire family came together and did a beautiful show that showed how far they came and how they were still together despite everything that had happened.

I know they feel that way because that was how it was presented in the Jackson mini series. Also, Mrs. Jackson herself said pretty much the same thing in her book. She was especially proud since Randy could dance along side his brothers since this wasn't long after the car accident that nearly killed him and he was told he may never even walk again.

So in their minds, Michael success with Thriller and the change ticket system weren't that big of a factory in the tour success.

Ivy sums it up wonderfully as always.if some fans think this tribute and the artists taking part is worthy of who mj was then they are living in their own neverland. Sorry if that upsets the artists its nothing personal but its the truth when u look at all the artists that u would expect to take part in a legitimate and offical tribute

QFT. Yes, the turn of events have been pretty disappointing, not to mention disgusting, that the least of my concerns right now is some artist reading this forum and getting their feelings hurt.

And truth is, most of these stars are not the A-listers that were promised. I'm just stating a fact. There is no reason to sugar-coat the truth, and lie about what a wonderful line-up they have.

Ivy sums it up wonderfully as always.if some fans think this tribute and the artists taking part is worthy of who mj was then they are living in their own neverland. Sorry if that upsets the artists its nothing personal and its not their fault they are involved in this and we certainly arent blaming them if their motives are legit.its the promoters fault for organising a money grab in the first place but its the truth when u look at all the artists that u would expect to take part in a legitimate and offical tribute and what we have now.it does nothing for mjs legacy etc

Can you stop the snide remarks about what other people think? The people taking part in the tribute very much are worthy to be part of a tribute to MJ. Even though I think they should be added to with more high profile artists, I think they are worthy people. If Lenny was added, people would say that he hasn't released anything in a while, etc. Sometimes I think MJ fans never think anyone is good enough for him. Other artists see this as well. Sometimes I think people do not want to be involved with Mj stuff because between his family and fans, it will always be a lose- lose situation.

I think those who have signed up are more than worthy, although I agree with your statement about the organizers not balancing them out with more high profile names. That is what I think is missing.

ETA:

And truth is, most of these stars are not the A-listers that were promised. I'm just stating a fact. There is no reason to sugar-coat the truth, and lie about what a wonderful line-up they have.

You should care how MJ's fans represent MJ, the end. There is nothing wrong with saying the line up is not in agreement with what was promised. But your comments were far and beyond that. That is the point.

PLEASE ADMIN/ADMINS CAN YOU LET US KNOW WHEN THIS 'PRESS CONFERENCE' IS MEANT TO HAPPEN?
17 minutes ago ·LikeUnlike ·

Michael Forever Tribute The announcement will be on CNN - I'm afraid I don't know exactly when but believe it will be in the next couple of hours.

So we may not need the sleepy furry animals this time...........

Can you stop the snide remarks about what other people think? The people taking part in the tribute very much are worthy to be part of a tribute to MJ. Even though I think they should be added to with more high profile artists, I think they are worthy people. If Lenny was added, people would say that he hasn't released anything in a while, etc. Sometimes I think MJ fans never think anyone is good enough for him. Other artists see this as well. Sometimes I think people do not want to be involved with Mj stuff because between his family and fans, it will always be a lose- lose situation.

I think those who have signed up are more than worthy, although I agree with your statement about the organizers not balancing them out with more high profile names. That is what I think is missing.

ETA:

You should care how MJ's fans represent MJ, the end. There is nothing wrong with saying the line up is not in agreement with what was promised. But your comments were far and beyond that. That is the point.

I agree with the bolded part, and it all boils down to them pulling another fast one to make a quick buck. End of the day, it's really not about paying tribute to Michael or raising money for charity. That is why this has been messed-up from the start. And it's not the fault of the artists that signed-up; it's the fault of the organisers and his family.

kiss has joined the line up kj was just on cnn with the global guy and he said as much

Katherine is talking to CNN

and the organizers "Oh this concern is on" "more artists are gonng to be announced in a second"

Katherine " I think it's a perfect fit because it's a concert Michael would enjoy"

kiss has joined the line up kj was just on cnn with the global guy and he said as much

Didn't the main singer of Kiss say Michael was a child molester and one of Michael's band members quit because of his relationship with young boys?

@ Ramona, Yes, exactly that one.

Even I am worried at that choice. Why would he even agree to honor someone who he felt had inappropriate relationships with boys?

Surprise Surprise! Gene Simmons did call Michael that. Do we have to say he is 'worthy' of performing at this event too?

I couldn't possibly get more disgusted at Katherine. She's either ignorant about what this man has said about her child, or desperate for this concert to go on (aka desperate for her other children to make some money). I think I'm going to be sick :puke:

^Surprise Surprise! Gene Simmons did call Michael that. Do we have to say he is 'worthy' of performing at this event too?

Up until now, they actually only chose people who were actual fans of MJ. This decision baffles me. Not wise at all IMHO. Not to mention Gene is not really liked amongst MJ's fanbase. Bad decision totally.

okay I'm just reading that they added Kiss with Gene Simmons who called MJ a pedophile to the line up?

sorry but there's nothing defendable with this tribute any more in my book.

^Surprise Surprise! Gene Simmons did call Michael that. Do we have to say he is 'worthy' of performing at this event too?

So the family openly invited someone who called their love one a pedo. I am not really sure what their are trying to say. Either they are telling the world what Gene said is true or they simply don't care and wanted a big name to fill out the list.

Then again, it is kind of odd that KISS took the invitation despite feeling Michael was a child molester. Are they saying having relationship with young boys is alright now or they were offered such a good pay day they don't care?

This is twisted on so many levels.

Katherine "the kids are good, they are getting ready for school and they are very excited about this concert".

Kiss your having a laugh.gene simmons hates mj and jennifer battern had a right go at him regarding his comnents about mj.Whos next sneddon and dimond doing a duet.just when u think it cant get any worse it does.talk about peeing on mjs graveI guess to some this just as good as madonna beegees diana ross gaga usher beyonce stevie and every other major act of the last 30 years whos been inspired and loved mj.

Back