Jam & Lewis

arXter

Proud Member
Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and co. (including Jellybean Johnson, engineer Steve Hodge and all others in the Flyte Tyme camp) don't really need an introduction for the trademark sound they've developed over the decades since the mid-80s. So I thought we'd show appreciation with some of our favourite cuts from these geniuses.

I'll start off with a couple of early classics:

voycug.png

S.O.S. Band

No One's Gonna
Love You

241s19k.png

Force M.D.'s

Tender Love

From the 'Did they really write that?' stable.

The Human League - Human

[youtube]s1ysoohV_zA&feature=fvst[/youtube]

I have that Human League album. Jimmy & Terry produced the whole thing and wrote some of the songs or co-wrote with the band members. On the 45 single for Human their picture are featured on the back cover. They also produced the single version of George Michael's Monkey, which was a total re-recording (including the vocals) and not just a remix of the album version.

I have that Human League album. Jimmy & Terry produced the whole thing and wrote some of the songs or co-wrote with the band members. On the 45 single for Human their picture are featured on the back cover. They also produced the single version of George Michael's Monkey, which was a total re-recording (including the vocals) and not just a remix of the album version.

Yeah, I forgot they did Monkey as well. A great George track that one. I remember liking one version a lot more that the other at the time, but can't remember which!

Monte Moir

Although not as recognized, Monte Moir was also part of Flyte Tyme. Here is one of his tunes.

Another of the lesser-known Flyte Tymers is engineer don Steve Hodge who not only worked the mixing boards but also done some of his own remixes.

w81100.jpg

Let's Wait Awhile
(12" Remix)

2n1auyq.jpg

Someone To Call My Lover
(Velvet Mix)

6zplk4.jpg

Criticize
(12" Remix)

Monte also produced and wrote Janet Jackson's Pleasure Principle

Jimmy & Terry produced this track which was on Chaka Khan's last album 'Funk This'.
[youtube]ggXbGd_whTI&fmt=18[/youtube]

Captain Rapp feat. Kimberly Ball

I came across this by accident. I remember this but never knew the title of the song or what the artist's name was or that it had anything to do with Jam & Lewis. I haven't heard this since it was originally out and forgotten about it, but I've never heard it with the rap. I didn't know it was a rap song. The radio just played the instrumental with the woman singing "I can't stand it..." over and over. Listening to it now, it sounds kinda like some D-Train style music and nothing at all like The Time or J&L's other stuff.
[youtube]5QPUazhwYdg&fmt=18[/youtube]

I really know them for there work with Janet and Michael. They worked with Janet on all of her albums since control except for Discipline didn't they? and they worked with Michael on HIStory.
My favourites of theres would be:

And can't be forgetting scream :)

By Kevin Ross September 30, 2018 Radio Facts
James_Wright.jpg

We’re sorry to report that James “Big Jim” Wright has died yesterday. The multi-talented producer, songwriter, and music director was a keyboard player that worked consistently with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. He also has many writing and co-writing credits on several hits songs by Janet Jackson and others. Wright was also a producer and music director on multiple projects including Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, Mariah Carey, Usher, Sounds of Blackness, Celine Dion and many more. He was found dead in his home in Rockford, Illinois, Wright was 52 years old.

Back