Janelle Monae

And i agree i think Michael would have adored her! (i wonder if he already knew about her! since he was making some serious buzz since 2007) I think he would've have been straight up in love with her. Just like Prince is! (lol that guy is IN-LOVE lol..)

I feel just like Prince and i think for the same reason. FINALLY!! Somebody has come along on the pop scene who can pick up and carry on the torch that the likes of Stevie Wonder, Prince, and Michael Jackson had carried before. Not only is she carrying the torch but she's lighting her own flame on it! and that's the most important part!

I agree, I think Michael would have loved her. I just find her music quite refreshing at the moment in the sea of dance music that's around at the moment.

I saw her last May when she opened for Erykah Badu in SF. I didn't know who she was at the time but she had LOTS of energy and her voice was so powerful coming from such a tiny person...

Love her song on Big Boi's album too. its called "Be Still." That voice!

and I just saw this video of her talking about Bilal and his voice. for any Bilal fans (or those who love great vocalists), watch this video: http://www.twitvid.com/LYHLW

I agree, I think Michael would have loved her. I just find her music quite refreshing at the moment in the sea of dance music that's around at the moment.

Yea.......Janelle actually makes music that's worth buying!!!!!!

I really like that the video is all about the song and the emotion behind it.

I found the official "Wondamix" remix of "Cold War" just recently and I normally don't like remixes yet this one is really good in my opion. They gave it a really laidback groove.

Also there are some great pictures of her in this video.

At about 1:20 min there's a picture of her doing the MJ toe stand. :)

I really like that the video is all about the song and the emotion behind it.

I found the official "Wondamix" remix of "Cold War" just recently and I normally don't like remixes yet this one is really good in my opion. They gave it a really laidback groove.

Also there are some great pictures of her in this video.

At about 1:20 min there's a picture of her doing the MJ toe stand. :)

I loved that remix! Been listening to The Arch Android all weekend. I can't wait to see her live, heard she's really good.

I just found out that she is performing in Holland in like 2 weeks. It's already sold out :(
It sucks because I didn't even realise she was going to come here and I would have flipped out if I would have been able to go.

But there is a positive side to it. She is slowly but surely starting to spread with her music outside of the US. I had no idea her concert would sell out so fast over here. Most people have no idea who she is....yet.

I felt the same way when I saw her tweet that she was promoting her album in London. I had no idea!

*bump for this thread*

I just read the following tweet on her site:

JanelleMonae
RT @breakfast_etc: So. As an encore, @xxofmontrealxx did a Michael Jackson medley with @janellemonae. Def completes some life checklist I haven't started yet.... 10 hours ago

I so need to see a video of that! I've been looking but so far I haven't found it..

I definitely can't wait for her to make films for all the song on The Archandroids album. She already did Tight Rope and Cold War. :)

I just got a call that her december 18th Amsterdam concert is cancelled.
I managed to get tickets to that this time.
I'm so dissapointed, I was so looking forward to it and it will be the second time I won't get to see her.
They didn't even give a reason. I hope she will come back soon though..

I just got a call that her december 18th Amsterdam concert is cancelled.
I managed to get tickets to that this time.
I'm so dissapointed, I was so looking forward to it and it will be the second time I won't get to see her.
They didn't even give a reason. I hope she will come back soon though..

Man thatz mest up! I heard she post to be with Prince when he tours. So hope for the best if they tour where u at.

She toured where I was at, I didn't even know. I saw some of the performances on youtube, and it looked great. Just wish I was there. ;/

Yeah, I think she cancelled to be on the Prince tour since I heard some of the dates are when she was supposed to come here. I guess I can't be to mad at her for that, that's a great oppertunity for her.
I just hope she comes back soon,so I can finally see her.

In the meantime I found this great video of her performing "Wondaland" live.
Sounds and looks great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYuPoXx188g

Also she performed "BabopbyeYa" with the Emory Symphony Orchestra recently.
Just absolutely stunning, really well done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu6BkHyXzW8

(I forgot how to post videos on here so check the link.)

Wowzers, that Cold War video was not boring at all and it was just a shot of her face the entire time. Heck, I almost teared up myself!

Time to *bump* this thread.
Thanks for posting that "PYT" video btw. :)

Looks like Janelle made a lot of top year end lists with "the Archandroid" as seen on her offical site! (even making nr.1 in some)
I'm glad people are starting to recognise her more.

I found a cute video of her performing "Sincerely Jane" with the Atlanta ballet in 2008 (I think).
She sounds too good live.(while dancing in a ballerina outfit as well)

[youtube]Od90xr5_xVs[/youtube]

I forgot to add she even moonwalks in the end...

Last edited:
she was great @ the grammys...finally some people recognize here....she trended on twitter also.....gud luck to janelle?

I thought her performance was great on the Grammy's. Bruno Mars and B.o.B were great matches too.
It sucks she didn't win anything out of her two nominations. She was definitly robbed on that part.
I was so proud of her seeing that performance for the first time, I was hoping she would do "Cold War" and when I heard the intro playing I got goosebumps.
She really was trending? That's awesome. I was so happy they got a standing ovation. She really deserves all the succes she gets imo.

Here's a video of her performance btw.
[youtube]dfcfgFmYvho[/youtube]

I can't believe I'm going to her concert this Monday. I was already excited but after this I really can't wait!

Edit: Just read on her site she is going on tour with Bruno Mars soon! The tour will be called "Hooligans in Wondaland". I seriously hope they will come to my country together but it will probably be a US tour or something.

Last edited:
she deserves all the praise and hype. ArchAndroid is one of the best albums of the decade IMO!

She is starting to become a bit more known around here.
One radio station is playing "Tigtrope" sometimes now (more alternative but very well known station since about 2 weeks a go) and I've actually seen the video played on Mtv twice.
It's not too much but a nice way of letting her get more known around here.
I don't want her to become overplayed either but I don't think that is going to happen here soon.
It seems to be more healthy for the longevity of an artist to slowly grow more known instead of exploding on the scene.

I think she has many great years ahead of her. I think she could grow to become even bigger than people can imagine right now...that is if people's taste in music will start to shift more in her direction again.

I thought her performance was great on the Grammy's. Bruno Mars and B.o.B were great matches too.
It sucks she didn't win anything out of her two nominations. She was definitly robbed on that part.
I was so proud of her seeing that performance for the first time, I was hoping she would do "Cold War" and when I heard the intro playing I got goosebumps.
She really was trending? That's awesome. I was so happy they got a standing ovation. She really deserves all the succes she gets imo.

Here's a video of her performance btw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfcfgFmYvho

I can't believe I'm going to her concert this Monday. I was already excited but after this I really can't wait!

Edit: Just read on her site she is going on tour with Bruno Mars soon! The tour will be called "Hooligans in Wondaland". I seriously hope they will come to my country together but it will probably be a US tour or something.

thx for the vid.....she really is outstanding their. Your lucky you got to see her & she w/ bruno on tour....gonna be awesome!

I don't worry about her being overhyped. First, I don't think she will be. Second, she has the substance to back up all the hype. She also has a passion for music and is a student of the art. She's incredible yet people still don't know of her.

I just got tickets to see her again in San Francisco this summer. Gonna be goood!

So I went to her concert on Monday and it was everything and more than I expected!
It was short though (only about an hour) but it was still great.
I was really impressed with her voice. I already knew she could sing well but live her voice sounds even better. Even videos from concerts don't show everything she does with her voice.
When she sang "Smile" I had goosebumps even though her recorded version didn't really do it for me before. It totally made me think of Michael which made me cry a little but also because she did it so beautifully. When she sang it everyone got so quiet lol.
When she did "Tightrope" and "Cold war" she brought the house down. It was so great.
Also she did "Come alive" and got everyone in the audience to sit on the floor lol only to get everybody jumping when the song built up again. I didn't know she did that in her shows but it was fun to see.
The music was really loud as well.

She gained a lot of new fans that's for sure. Sometimes the crowd was so loud I couldn't hear her properly.
They were cheering a lot, I think a lot of them didn't know all the songs though since not everyone was singing along like I was. lol That will change soon though, there was a stand selling her cd's and t-shirts and afterwards my friend (who was converted into a fan due to this show) wanted to buy a cd and all of them were sold out!

Here are a few videos I made of the show.

[youtube]jNRK4OFGcRc[/youtube]
"Sincerely Jane"

[youtube]z8S0SZ3ZdG8[/youtube]

[youtube]gtiTPs9trLw[/youtube]

She also gave away her painting and I could have won it. She asked a question to the audience and I knew the anwser but I guess I was a little too starstruck and couldn't remember fast enough. That would have been cool though. At that point I was standing even closer to the stage and to see her that up close was just really awesome.
In the end I can't wait to see her again in the future. :)

If you have a chance to go, I really recommend to go for it!
To see all the musicians up there having such a good time was really infectious.

Last edited:
A friend told me about her a couple of years ago, but I simply forgot about her.

How in the hell did I forget about this woman for so long? And how did she not clean some Grammy's? The ArchAndroid is so innovative and different! It's amazing! I hope she doesn't get discouraged by not getting the attention she truly deserves just yet.

This, to me, seems like proof that good music is getting pushed aside for silly marketing schemes to 2nd rate pop stars.

A friend told me about her a couple of years ago, but I simply forgot about her.

How in the hell did I forget about this woman for so long? And how did she not clean some Grammy's? The ArchAndroid is so innovative and different! It's amazing! I hope she doesn't get discouraged by not getting the attention she truly deserves just yet.

This, to me, seems like proof that good music is getting pushed aside for silly marketing schemes to 2nd rate pop stars.

the Good Music is still out there, just gotta look for it!

So I went to her concert on Monday and it was everything and more than I expected!
It was short though (only about an hour) but it was still great.
I was really impressed with her voice. I already knew she could sing well but live her voice sounds even better. Even videos from concerts don't show everything she does with her voice.
When she sang "Smile" I had goosebumps even though her recorded version didn't really do it for me before. It totally made me think of Michael which made me cry a little but also because she did it so beautifully. When she sang it everyone got so quiet lol.
When she did "Tightrope" and "Cold war" she brought the house down. It was so great.
Also she did "Come alive" and got everyone in the audience to sit on the floor lol only to get everybody jumping when the song built up again. I didn't know she did that in her shows but it was fun to see.
The music was really loud as well.

She gained a lot of new fans that's for sure. Sometimes the crowd was so loud I couldn't hear her properly.
They were cheering a lot, I think a lot of them didn't know all the songs though since not everyone was singing along like I was. lol That will change soon though, there was a stand selling her cd's and t-shirts and afterwards my friend (who was converted into a fan due to this show) wanted to buy a cd and all of them were sold out!

Here are a few videos I made of the show.

[youtube]jNRK4OFGcRc[/youtube]
"Sincerely Jane"

[youtube]z8S0SZ3ZdG8[/youtube]

[youtube]gtiTPs9trLw[/youtube]

She also gave away her painting and I could have won it. She asked a question to the audience and I knew the anwser but I guess I was a little too starstruck and couldn't remember fast enough. That would have been cool though. At that point I was standing even closer to the stage and to see her that up close was just really awesome.
In the end I can't wait to see her again in the future. :)

If you have a chance to go, I really recommend to go for it!
To see all the musicians up there having such a good time was really infectious.

I felt the same way about 'Smile.' Didn't really feel it on her album (probably because I would rather listen to Michael sing it) but in concert 2 years ago she killed it.

I was listening to ArchAndroid this week and I love how I'm still finding new parts of songs that hadn't hit me before!

the Good Music is still out there, just gotta look for it!

Right, but I think IvoryKey's point is that we shouldn't have to look for good music. It should be glorified as it deserves to be, not cast to the side in favour of, as he so rightly put it, second-rate pop stars who are more famous for their stormy personal lives, stupid outfits, haircuts, sexually provocative choreography, etc. than for the value of their work. That's not art--it's musical consumerism, it's completely generic and devoid of true value. If anything, it's the complete and total rape/mockery of art by a group of greedy capitalists (big labels) who want nothing more than to exploit the impressionable masses' pedestrian tastes for financial gain. The funny/sad/pathetic thing is that most of the people who buy into that crap don't even realize how shamelessly they are being manipulated, but then again, the great bulk of them are children, teenagers, and young adults. They sell pop stars using the same techniques they use to sell Big Macs--90% of pop stars wouldn't be so hot right now if they weren't constantly being marketed as such through magazine interviews, music videos, ads, entertainment television, and other such publicity--like Vladimir Lenin once said, a lie told often enough becomes truth. The media is quite possibly the scariest thing on this planet--that sh*t can move mountains.

Monae, on the other hand, is art. She's not getting the amount of publicity she deserves because she's not strutting half-naked singing about incoherent things or how much she digs booze. She appears to have too much poise and dignity for that sort of thing, and seems to have great love for her music--so much so that she hasn't sold it out for fame, like others have. You've got to respect that.

Last edited:
Back