Janet's New Single - Feedback / video on pg. 10 - Discipline cover pg. 15

Re: Janet's New Single - Feedback (all comments here) ***

I wouldn't go as far as to state that her talent is highly limited. No she doesn't have the vocals, but she has overall solid entertainment value.

And let's face it... the woman is hellva sexy. She looks way better than me -- heck I would kill for that body and I'm older than she is. I don't see her selling sex as much this time out as she is trying to get peeps to dance.

At least that's what I thought peeps wanted her to do anyway...

:yes: And that song makes me dance. I don't pay attention to lyrics when the song's got a thumping beat like THAT! :lol: :)

perhaps she hasn't got the vocal range of Whitney, but her vocals are pleasent to the ear (i love her voice), and more importantly her music throughout the years has been creative and soul ful. She sings about alot of things hense why her fans love her so. They can relate to her through her music etc. She isnt a limited talent.

Last edited:

perhaps she hasn't got the vocal range of Whitney, but her vocals are pleasent to the ear (i love her voice), and more importantly her music throughout the years has been creative and soul ful. She sings about alot of things hense why her fans love her so. They can relate to her through her music etc. She isnt a limited talent.

Say it again. CHUUCH! :lol: :yes:

Well, I should have said, in my opinion, she's a limited talent. I always forget to do that.

nothing new from janet. The same ol computerized joints, no real vocals, no substance, but it's an ok song. Maybe if I listen to it like a 20 times I just might like the song.

You're telling me albums and songs like Control, Rhythm Nation, janet., The Velvet Rope, All For You and Damita Jo were "computerized" "no real vocals" and "no substance"?

Okay, whatever you say.

Janet's struggling because her talent is highly limited, that's all. She's 41, or is it 42, and no ones gonna take her on her vocal talent or dance talent, she doesn't really compose music or is known for her song writing talent. She's become a sex symbol and she's trying to hold on to that. What do ya'll really expect? I still like the song. Its generic all the way, but at least its catchy.

Ridiculous. What does her age has nothing to do with anything? I'm tired of hearing "act your age!" Isn't that what people say about Michael all the time? Janet wasn't "acting her age" when she was young and 21, doing songs and albums like 'Rhythm Nation' 'State of The World' 'The Knowledge' etc. when her peers at the time like Madonna were sexed up (again, nothing wrong with that either).

She is an underrated singer (and artist) and theres no way someone here is fina tell me otherwise; that Janet is nothing but a superior female dancer in this game. She is always listed as number one for a reason, even above Paula Abdul who is a trained dancer. Janet has written or co-written her own songs from Control to now. It seems as though you don't really know, so you put it in the context as 'no one really...' which is false. For one example, Janet composed the guitar riff from 'Black Cat' and [the director for the video] didn't even believe her at first. Shes made and broken a lot of records that most people don't even know about (every time I tell someone there like really?) and yes, this includes Michael's!!!

Okay, there. lol

Last edited:

Don't freak out, I said my opinion, damn.

She isn't known as a song writer, plain and simple, she isn’t known as someone who can sit down by themselves and write a good song. She co-writes, fine, but its similar to Mariah Carey co-writing, it doesn't mean she can actually sit down and have the talent to compose an entire, truly good, musical composition on her own. Her vocals are weak, imo and in many others, and her dancing is very common to me. Paula Abdul is a better dancer by far, imo. Anyway, like I said, my opinion, that's it, I’m not trying to convert anyone or make them see it my way so you don’t have to agree, just like I don’t have to agree with you. And I wasn’t talking about telling her that she should act her age, I was talking about the fact that her age is a factor in her appeal as a pop princess because, imo, her talent isn't strong enough to carry her on as a legit artist passed the age of 35, because a lot of her appeal is her physicality, imo. Her strongest talent is her charisma, she has pretty good presence. She was always very cute, then she became sexy. I said she's morphed, over the last 15 years, into a sex symbol and its something she's obviously trying to hold on to. She can do whatever she pleases, I was just saying, the fact that she continues to push and make sex a prominent piece in her work says to me that she's continuing to put out her image as a sex symbol over anything else.

Last edited:

Don't freak out, I said my opinion, damn.

She isn't known as a song writer, plain and simple, she isn’t known as someone who can sit down by themselves and write a good song. She co-writes, fine, but its similar to Mariah Carey co-writing, it doesn't mean she can actually sit down and have the talent to compose an entire, truly good, musical composition on her own. Her vocals are weak, imo and in many others, and her dancing is very common to me. Paula Abdul is a better dancer by far, imo. Anyway, like I said, my opinion, that's it, I’m not trying to convert anyone or make them see it my way so you don’t have to agree, just like I don’t have to agree with you. And I wasn’t talking about telling her that she should act her age, I was talking about the fact that her age is a factor in her appeal as a pop princess because, imo, her talent isn't strong enough to carry her on as a legit artist passed the age of 35, because a lot of her appeal is her physicality, imo. Her strongest talent is her charisma, she has pretty good presence. She was always very cute, then she became sexy. I said she's morphed, over the last 15 years, into a sex symbol and its something she's obviously trying to hold on to. She can do whatever she pleases, I was just saying, the fact that she continues to push and make sex a prominent piece in her work says to me that she's continuing to put out her image as a sex symbol over anything else.
I'm not sure what the difference is actually. She is credited for writing a lot of songs and she has her publishing company because of it. I don't hear peeps proclaiming Michael as a singer/songwriter either, but of course he is. Peeps tend to tout what an artist is best known as, vs. all that they can do.

Janet's vocals are soft, but she does have a command of style. It's just not the thing you would think of when thinking about her, but often I will catch myself listening to some of her songs and think, wow, that was nice how she phased that run or did that ad-lib. Once Janet performed 'I Get Lonely' on the then Rosie O'Donnell Show with just a piano accompliment and she was surprising good. I personally think she could do more with her voice, but it is my opinion that she lacks a certain confidence. I could be wrong, but that's my read on it.

As for Janet's sex appeal, she has gone the route of many artists, many who do sing better than her, has gone. They start out singing catchy songs or fun songs or themed songs, anthems or ballards, hit the charts, then the next album is all sex appeal. Janet has gotten away with pushing the sex envelope because she was in the 'cash cow' category prior to the SB. Her stuff sold regardless.

Now post SB, it's very easy to criticize her sexy image. Peeps want to say that she needs to act her age. I don't recall peeps telling Cher to act her age and put on some clothes. Or Madonna for that matter. It's just like with MJ. Pre the allegations, peeps didn't really make a big deal over his changing look (or at least not aloud because he was so popular). When bad pub takes down a celeb, particularly celebs like MJ and JJ, all of the things that peeps hate about them become easier to say and sell.

Then it becomes gospel.

Michael is in the song writers hall of fame. People know he's a song writer, a majority of his compositions are written on his own and he's more then once had the majority of tracks on albums solely written by him. The difference is you can come up with some lyrics or maybe a hook or a riff, but can you sit down and actually compose an entire song on you're own that it legitamately good? And why do we always have to bring Michael up to make a point about somebody else? The person should be able to stand on they're own, don't you think?

But people were heavy on about Michael's change in appearance even in the late 80s, but it was such a mineal thing compared to everything else that it had little impact. Even after the alligations, Michael still outsold and was more populer then every other artist simply because his talent is too big to ignore.

Janet has a limited voice, she isn't what I would call a professional vocalist.

Janet's album that came out around the same time "Invincible" did didn't sell very well, if I recall. I think the superbowl incident has little to do with her dwindiling sales, to be honest. Again, I didn't say she needs to act her age, I said she's pushing her sex appeal because at this point, I think that's all she really has, as a musical artist, to offer.

Last edited:

You're telling me albums and songs like Control, Rhythm Nation, janet., The Velvet Rope, All For You and Damita Jo were "computerized" "no real vocals" and "no substance"?

Okay, whatever you say.
I was mainly refering to her latest work, damita jo and all for you (which was whacky whack whack). I haven't even listened to janets old stuff before (and im not going to, I've heard the released songs and I wouldn't waste my time, esp with the songs from the 80's). But when I think janet I think of computerized dance joints with no real vocals, lets face it the girl ain't never been a real singer -_- and as far as substance goes 95% of the time she's singing about sex so um yeah....

and this feedback sound the same ol computerized janet way.
matter fact just about everything she releases sounds like this especially lately. Nothing new!

Please feel free to name some of janet songs (esp. released ones) where there are real instrument and her music don't sound machine generated.

Michael is in the song writers hall of fame. People know he's a song writer, a majority of his compositions are written on his own and he's more then once had the majority of tracks on albums solely written by him. The difference is you can come up with some lyrics or maybe a hook or a riff, but can you sit down and actually compose an entire song on you're own that it legitamately good? And why do we always have to bring Michael up to make a point about somebody else? The person should be able to stand on they're own, don't you think?

But people were heavy on about Michael's change in appearance even in the late 80s, but it was such a mineal thing compared to everything else that it had little impact. Even after the alligations, Michael still outsold and was more populer then every other artist simply because his talent is too big to ignore.

Janet's album that came out around the same time "Invincible" did didn't sell very well, if I recall. I think the superbowl incident has little to do with her dwindiling sales, to be honest. Again, I didn't say she needs to act her age, I said she's pushing her sex appeal because at this point, I think that's all she really has, as a musical artist, to offer.
I agree with you wbss except for the age thing. I think she need to get some class put on some more clothes and act her age and the sex thing is soooo tired.

And since when has janet been a songwriter please, janets song writing imo is in the same league as her singing.

Of course they know it WBSS. I'm just saying that they don't speak on it when they talk about the man. A person not being in the SWHOF doesn't make them any less of a songwriter, either. I used MJ as an example because that is what came to mind. Obviously it's not a put down, so what is up with the sensitivity over that example? Also, it's not uncommon for peeps to write songs in collaboration. Roger and Hammerstein for example? Doesn't make them any less of worthy songwriters in my eyes. I just don't get the eliteness with the message here. Not liking Janet's songwriting is one thing. Saying that it doesn't measure up as being a songwriter because she doesn't write 'on her own' is another thing entirely.

My point about the bad pub was simply that those who don't like a celeb from the get can be more critical of the person and it sticks more. I said that they can sell the criticism more, not that the celeb couldn't sell product any better, although there is no doubt that MJ's sales fell in the US post the allegations.

Furthermore, I never made the point that Janet has top vocal qualities. But she is a professional entertainer, for whatever that means to peeps these days.

I think that DJ was affected by the SB because no one wanted to touch her. On 20 YO, she was straight out blackballed and there is evidence to support that. Yes, she was likely to drop off because no artist stays on top forever. All one has to do is to point to Invincible's sales in the states and despite some thoughts about it, it was a good album.

Lastly, I would have to disagree that Janet's sex appeal is all she has to offer because for the first 4 albums of her career, she didn't use that angle at all.

Rogers and Hammerstein? You're comparing a great composer and a great lyricist to Janet coming up with a few silly lyrics and maybe a riff or a hook? Makes no sense to me. Each of those individuals came up one, soley the lyrics, and one, solely the music. You're just using extreme examples to try and justify Janet as a songwriter, but she's done nothing to prove or even indicate that she is someone who can compose on her own. I'm not talking about lyrics, I'm talking about writing music, actually creating an entire song on her own without someone doing the majority of the work, which is always the impression I've gotten when I've seen Janet's name in song writers credits or have heard her stuff. Sit down and write a whole song in terms of the music. Anyone can come up with meaningless fluff lyrics that rhym, and almost anyone can come up with a 3 or 4 bar hook or riff, JT and Chris Brown, for example, but can they compose a whole song on they're own? It takes a certain kind of talent to do that.

Last edited:

No she wasn't, but I think she thinks the way you're talking about Janet and comparing it to Mike is making it seem like Janet ain't as much of a writer as the legendary writers, lol.

Rogers and Hammerstein? You're comparing a great composer and a great lyricist to Janet coming up with a few silly lyrics and maybe a riff or a hook? Makes no sense to me. Each of those individuals came up one, soley the lyrics, and one, solely the music. You're just using extreme examples to try and justify Janet as a songwriter, but she's done nothing to prove or even indicate that she is someone who can compose on her own. I'm not talking about lyrics, I'm talking about writing music, actually creating an entire song on her own without someone doing the majority of the work, which is always the impression I've gotten when I've seen Janet's name in song writers credits or have heard her stuff. Sit down and write a whole song in terms of the music. Anyone can come up with meaningless fluff lyrics that rhym, and almost anyone can come up with a 3 or 4 bar hook or riff, JT and Chris Brown, for example, but can they compose a whole song on they're own? It takes a certain kind of talent to do that.
Oh come on now. Don't start twisting and manipulating the point. You said that Janet isn't much of a songwriter because she didn't write stuff by herself. So I used Rogers and Hammerstein as an example of a songwriting collaboration team to illustate that your point has no merit. And what do you think songwriting is? It IS writing lyrics. Composers compose music. My sister is a songwriter and composer. She copyrights her work all of the time and copywritten songs are credited to the one who writes the lyrics. Now I don't care if you don't care for Janet's songwriting skills, her dancing, her singing or whatever. I like classical music, but I don't say that popular music is garbage because it's not on the same level as classical music. I simply like what I like and if it sounds good to me -- whether it's a complexed symphony or a 2 note hook, it's all good to me. That's the beauty of music -- it all has a place with someone out there.

I was mainly refering to her latest work, damita jo and all for you (which was whacky whack whack).

I haven't even listened to janets old stuff before (and im not going to, I've heard the released songs and I wouldn't waste my time, esp with the songs from the 80's).
But when I think janet I think of computerized dance joints with no real vocals, lets face it the girl ain't never been a real singer -_- and as far as substance goes 95% of the time she's singing about sex so um yeah....

and this feedback sound the same ol computerized janet way.
matter fact just about everything she releases sounds like this especially lately. Nothing new!

Please feel free to name some of janet songs (esp. released ones) where there are real instrument and her music don't sound machine generated.

um okay if he haven't even heard Janet's catogolgue, than don't comment seriously. and for the record this is Janet's first time Janet's voice is being " computizered" or as it's called choped and skrewed"

Last edited:

Whatever mello, I'm not going to get into another argument with you. You either are being willfully dense about what I meant or you just really don't get it. I thought I made clear when I said "composition". I meant does she have the talent to sit down and compose music on a regular basis, real music, an entire piece, with verses, a bridge, etc... Is a major talent of hers song writing? Composing music I mean? Because I said it wasn't, she isn't at all known for being able to write music, that's exactly what I meant. Because I'm sure most of the music she does is written by somebody else and she maybe will add a small hook once in a while or write some lyrics. But she never has written an entire song on her own, so I wouldn't call it a "talent" of hers. Writing lyrics is an entirely differnt matter. And I wouldn't call Janet a talented writer either.

I didn't bring Michael in to this, I never do. I just said she isn't known as a song writer, which she isn't, and someone else brings Michael in to it and then says I'm being an elitist, lol. Gotta love it.

Last edited:

Whatever mello, I'm not going to get into another argument with you. You either are being willfully dense about what I meant or you just really don't get it. I thought I made clear when I said "composition". I meant does she have the talent to sit down and compose music on a regular basis, real music, an entire piece, with verses, a bridge, etc... Is a major talent of hers song writing? Composing music I mean? Because I said it wasn't, she isn't at all known for being able to write music, that's exactly what I meant. Because I'm sure most of the music she does is written by somebody else and she maybe will add a small hook once in a while or write some lyrics. But she never has written an entire song on her own, so I wouldn't call it a "talent" of hers. Writing lyrics is an entirely differnt matter. And I wouldn't call Janet a talented writer either.

I didn't bring Michael in to this, I never do. I just said she isn't known as a song writer, which she isn't, and someone else brings Michael in to it and then says I'm being an elitist, lol. Gotta love it.
It's certainly not because MJ was brought into the convo and certainly doesn't matter that you didn't bring it up.

I understand quite clearly what you meant as I'm sure you got what I said as well Nicole.

Oh come on now. Don't start twisting and manipulating the point. You said that Janet isn't much of a songwriter because she didn't write stuff by herself. So I used Rogers and Hammerstein as an example of a songwriting collaboration team to illustate that your point has no merit. And what do you think songwriting is? It IS writing lyrics. Composers compose music. My sister is a songwriter and composer. She copyrights her work all of the time and copywritten songs are credited to the one who writes the lyrics. Now I don't care if you don't care for Janet's songwriting skills, her dancing, her singing or whatever. I like classical music, but I don't say that popular music is garbage because it's not on the same level as classical music. I simply like what I like and if it sounds good to me -- whether it's a complexed symphony or a 2 note hook, it's all good to me. That's the beauty of music -- it all has a place with someone out there.

Yep yep. :yes: Music is a beautiful thing. That's why I adore all kinds. Unless the song REALLY SUCKS, I really don't have a preference.

um okay if he haven't even heard Janet's catogolgue, than don't comment seriously. and for the record this is Janet's first time Janet's voice is being " computizered" or as it's called choped and skrewed"

Chopped and screwed is actually when a song is slowed down and a certain beat or verse is chopped up repeatedly. Janet's song has a millennium vocoder effect to it. Janet joins Madonna and Cher in that regard of using that to help her dance songs.

Chopped and screwed is actually when a song is slowed down and a certain beat or verse is chopped up repeatedly. Janet's song has a millennium vocoder effect to it. Janet joins Madonna and Cher in that regard of using that to help her dance songs.

yeah that's what I meant to say. just thought about that. anyway LOL at all these people talking about Janet sounding coputerized and actually if you ask me she's kind of late with the trend of using the vocoder .

damn, this place turned into a HOTT fighting zone..

I'm gonna try to stay out of the fights but..

For some1 to deny Janets music throughout the 80-'s and 90's without hearing it is not right..

Janet has always been a great artist, and entertainer.. No1 tries to say she's the best VOCALIST.. she's not, I don't think anyone will argue. But her entertainment factor is HIGH.. VERY HIGH.. her velvet Rope concert was actually the ONLY concert I went to and ENJOYED.. I am not easy to impress. U know us MJ fans know what THE BEST is. So it takes A LOT to impress or satisfy us when it comes to entertainment..

Usually I don't go to concerts because I simply end up getting board and wait to leave.. Janets concert was the ONLY concert where I did not want to LEAVE, and wanted it to continue all night..

I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A MICHAEL JACKSON CONCERT THOUGH.. that would take me somewhere NEW.

I like the music. It reminds me to Miss You Much/Alright. However - unfortunately the computerized voice ruins my mood to like it more. I think it would be more enjoyable to sing it with her real voice like Miss You Much/Alright etc.

I know Janet doesn't have a strong voice but her natural 80s/90s singing voice is enjoyable to listen to.

Her last album that I enjoyed to listen to was All For You. I have Damita Jo but I regret buying it. I do not have 20 Y.O.

My favorite album is still Velvet Rope.

millennium vocoder

in other words computerized or fake :lol:. No REAL VOCALs! PERIOD!

And I don't have to hear janets whole collection to know what type of artist she is. Please lets not act dumb like I haven't heard any of J's music because I have, and I have heard enough to know. I even got designs of a decade and damita jo and guess what I didn't like it. janet has a very few songs that I like and those ain't that strong (except for "runaway love" that's hot). And lately her songs have been dance/computerized or either slow to medium, "that's the way love goes"/"have your way with me" (the last slow song that had jermaine dupree in it) I forgot the name but anyway janet is so predictable and mediocre and im so sorry if you feel different.

But please don't expect to listen to all of her albums cuz I wouldn't waste my time especially with them whack same beat having 80's, "what have you done for me lately" "nastly boys" "rhythm nation" songs!!! Please :rolleyes:

I have heard enough to know that I don't want to hear no more.

in other words computerized or fake :lol:. No REAL VOCALs! PERIOD!

And I don't have to hear janets whole collection to know what type of artist she is. Please lets not act dumb like I haven't heard any of J's music because I have, and I have heard enough to know. I even got designs of a decade and damita jo and guess what I didn't like it. janet has a very few songs that I like and those ain't that strong (except for "runaway love" that's hot). And lately her songs have been dance/computerized or either slow to medium, "that's the way love goes"/"have your way with me" (the last slow song that had jermaine dupree in it) I forgot the name but anyway janet is so predictable and mediocre and im so sorry if you feel different.

But please don't expect to listen to all of her albums cuz I wouldn't waste my time especially with them whack same beat having 80's, "what have you done for me lately" "nastly boys" "rhythm nation" songs!!! Please :rolleyes:

I have heard enough to know that I don't want to hear no more.

Then get out of the kitchen then. :lol:

Back