Joe reflects on his family in anticipation of his 86th birthday

Day 7 – Marlon Jackson
By Angel Howansky on July 22, 2014

Marlon-cover2

Marlon I can say is a determined soul. He might not have been as quick at getting something right away as Michael did, but he would work at it until he got it. He could put his mind to something and stay focused. He did learn a lot from Michael as they were both very close in age. He is a great dancer, but was in Michael’s shadow so the public never go to discover how talented he as a solo artist could be. I recently watched him perform on stage with his brothers, and I could see the moves flow naturally out of him. I am happy to see him get the recognition he deserves.

Oh, Joe admitted Marlon was in Michael's shadow, I wish he admitted with all the siblings instead, even Janet.

I always thought Joe wanted to be a star through the children because his group went nowhere. Yes, Joe instilled Michael and the others perfection to be the best and he even carried it during all his career and because of that perfection, passion and dedication, Michael is still considered the ultimate showman but Joe's methods were brutal and uncalled for. I mean, (in Michael's own words) when he was 8 or 9, Joe bit the crap out of him so hard for singing wrong and missing dance steps that he broke his rib, it's absolutely cruel, sadistic. The cost to instill such perfection millions of us know and love was too high. That's why I will always regard Joe as a greedy monster.

I always thought Joe pushed his kids so hard to be stars, because he's the one who really wanted to be a star, but just didn't have enough talent. (Years ago, LaToya said Joe can't dance at all. Ironic that he was beating the kids for missing dance steps.) Joe just managed to use his more talented son(s) to get the attention and trappings of stardom he desired, including all the groupies willing to sleep with him to get to the J5 or as an alternative to the actual J5 members (like Joh'vonnie's mother who reportedly originally wanted Jackie, but Jackie wasn't interested in her). Of all the things Joe could have said in these few sentences about the times he has shared with LaToya over her 55+ years as his daughter, his praise of LaToya for telling the media about his stroke sounds like he still very much wants to be talked about in the media and by the public as though he's a "star."

Funny how he's indirectly admitting that LaToya is probably better suited to be a designer rather than a singer. However, about Joe's view of Jermaine as the BEST ballad singer...

Here's Jermaine singing several of MJ's ballads, including "LADY IN MY LIFE." I guess Joe would say these are better than the originals by MJ?

Sad Jermaine. Give it up man. :smoothcriminal: That is WEAK!

Oh, Joe admitted Marlon was in Michael's shadow, I wish he admitted with all the siblings instead, even Janet.

I always thought Joe wanted to be a star through the children because his group went nowhere. Yes, Joe instilled Michael and the others perfection to be the best and he even carried it during all his career and because of that perfection, passion and dedication, Michael is still considered the ultimate showman but Joe's methods were brutal and uncalled for. I mean, (in Michael's own words) when he was 8 or 9, Joe bit the crap out of him so hard for singing wrong and missing dance steps that he broke his rib, it's absolutely cruel, sadistic. The cost to instill such perfection millions of us know and love was too high. That's why I will always regard Joe as a greedy monster.

OMG he broke michael's rib? I never knew about this. I mean I knew that he would beat the kids like crazy, but I never knew he once broke michael's rib from a beating. damn joe, your behind should have been locked up.

I could help but laughing at Joe being as subtle as ever:D
Latoya has new single out and her father says a day later she would have been great interior and fashion designer:giggle:

That was an odd thing to say that Latoya was one of the few who went on telly to say he had a stroke?
It sounds like he wants media attention at any form or shape, even broadcasting he had a stroke.
To be brutally honest, not that many even cares whether he had stroke or not, or if he disappear from the face of the earth.

I read LaToya's first book and in that she writes she never wanted to go to showbiz, she wanted to study but Joe pushed her into showbiz like the rest of her siblings.

I agree with those who say that from all these comments by Joe you can feel a certain distance. Most of the time he talks about showbiz aspects, not personal, intimate experiences with his children: Jermaine is a great bass player and ballad singer, Marlon is a great dancer etc. I expect Michael will be the King of Pop, the greatest entertainer ever - it's how Joe talked about him in several interviews. It's sad when that's how you relate to your children, not through personal experiences.

To be honest, I think Joe has some kind of psychological problem, some kind of emotional deficit that makes him unable of closeness, empathy and intimacy.

OMG he broke michael's rib? I never knew about this. I mean I knew that he would beat the kids like crazy, but I never knew he once broke michael's rib from a beating. damn joe, your behind should have been locked up.

Yeah, you can hear him in the Glenda tapes in this one around minute 9. If braking a child's rib is beating him too hard, I don't know what that is for KJ not stopping that sadist.

Annita;4030600 said:
Day 7 – Marlon Jackson
By Angel Howansky on July 22, 2014

Marlon-cover2

Marlon I can say is a determined soul. He might not have been as quick at getting something right away as Michael did, but he would work at it until he got it. He could put his mind to something and stay focused. He did learn a lot from Michael as they were both very close in age. He is a great dancer, but was in Michael’s shadow so the public never go to discover how talented he as a solo artist could be. I recently watched him perform on stage with his brothers, and I could see the moves flow naturally out of him. I am happy to see him get the recognition he deserves.

Well if you got to see your son get the recognition he deserves finally, when the son is in his late 50s (?) then I am happy for you Joe. Although, how many people recognize Marlon as a solo artist I don't know.

"I am happy to see him get the recognition he deserves."

What recognition Joe is talking about? Recognition from Joe himself as he said Marlon could sing or dance when J5 was starting.

I wonder what he is going to say about Michael?
Something like:
"I beat him bad, but eventually I managed to make King of Pop of him"

Last edited:
Day 8 – Michael Jackson
By Angel Howansky on July 23, 2014

Michael-cover

Michael: “Michael was like this. He was the type of kid who loved kids. I remember, .. a long time ago, when I used to give him his allowance after the shows. He would use it all up to buy a lot of candy. He would get the children in the neighbourhood to sit down with him in a circle, and he would keep feeding them candy, laughing and having the time of his life. I would look at him and it was beyond me, how in the world he got the most pleasure watching other kids eat candy.

Another thing, he was so fast. That boy was quick. Once we had a very mean dog in the yard, a black doberman. This dog was so mean and fierce, we called him by a dictator’s name (I can’t mention the name). Now every Sunday, Michael would practise his dancing for about 2 to 3 hours. He had just got done doing his routine and was out walking with Randy his little brother. They did not notice that the dog had got out of the yard and it came chasing after them. Michael was so fast, dashing out of the dog’s way in the split of a second and jumping on top of the car. The dog did however get Randy, biting Randy on his back leg. I rushed after the dog and was able to set Randy free. It was very dangerous because Randy might never have been able to walk again, had the dog continued its bite. Years have gone by and I can still see it all happening like a movie. How Michael was able to outrun the dog that fast, and still have the presence of mind to Jump is beyond me.

What else … Let me see, He was also a master at imitation. He could see something once, and would be able to imitate it. The songs he did, he did at home, so when he went into the studio, he knew exactly what he wanted. Somehow he knew how to think ahead.

He did save my life once. During the early days, there was this gang who would come to shows without paying and take our instruments which we had paid dearly for with the little money we had. My boys and I were getting ready to do a show, when this group showed up. I was not having it anymore this time and I stood up to fight them by myself. I was putting up a fight, when one of them knocked me in the back of my head with a microphone, knocking me out cold. As I lay unconscious, bleeding, little did I know, but Michael had run into the street to pay phone. He called out to people walking by if they could carry him, as he was unable to reach the phone because of his height. They did lift him up, and he called 9-1-1.

After the ambulance got to the show and worked on me, I was barely able to get up. I remember Michael and the boys looking at me with their youthful eyes, full of confusion as if asking “What do we do know?”. I looked straight at them and without any hesitation said “You go on stage and do the show, like nothing has happened. The show must always go on!” Michael internalized that lesson and over the years, even in pain, stress, sadness, he would never let the public see it. He was a professional till the end. In my eyes “The Greatest Entertainer that ever lived”.

The others just got a little paragraph and Michael got an essay! Sucks for them. lol

Anyway notice he talks more about what Latoya is doing now and not his memories of Latoya growing up. Doesn't he have some fond memories of her when she lived at home or when she was in her 30s, 40s?
Probably not seeing that in the 90s she very publically accused him of sexually molesting her and her sister when they were children.

To be honest, I think Joe has some kind of psychological problem, some kind of emotional deficit that makes him unable of closeness, empathy and intimacy.
Agree. A bit like latoya.

Wow, that was really nice of Joe I have to say.

....I still dont like him though :p

Although Joe pointed out about Michael's generosity with the candy's story, it's unfortunate he mostly relates to them in the showbiz aspect. He told more personal stories about Michael but he seems quite distant to them. Joe pushed them so hard to be in showbiz that it seems he didn't bother to get to know them personally and to testify about their character. I didn't know about the Doberman, it must had been horrific.

I wonder if Joe will say Randall wasn't good enough, that he was just a filler. Even though it's true, those weren't words to say to a small child. Joe was a tyrant.

Last edited:
WOW! That was a friggin amazing surprise. I didn't know old Joe had it in him! :dropdead:

The show must go on indeed. No surprise there and why did he have a dangerous dog around the kids.

Last edited:
Non of you have heard this before? What he told about Michael? About the dog and when he was knocked down (which is in the movie Jackson´s An American Dream), I have no idea where I have heard about the dog and Randy being bitten though, but I knew about it.

oh I knew about joe getting beat up. your right it's in the jackson 5 movie. but I didn't know about the dog incident though.

Virre;4030909 said:
Non of you have heard this before? What he told about Michael? About the dog and when he was knocked down (which is in the movie Jackson´s An American Dream), I have no idea where I have heard about the dog and Randy being bitten though, but I knew about it.

The story about the dog is from Michael, he wrote it in Moonwalk… But he said that he and Randy was walking to different people as they were jehovah witnesses and one man was that mean that he let the dog on them … if I remember correctly. Maybe these are two different stories about dogs.

Last edited:
Aww I have to say that story about Michael touched me. Joe was able to bring in the personal touch there. We heard already from one of the brothers that Michel was very fast and he was able to run away from some of Joe's beatings due to his swift feet. I am glad Joe mentioned that from childhood he loved children--something we all knew before, but maybe some in the public did not. You can see that to the end he remains the manager as he tells the boys the show must go on. I have to admit if I was the boy's dad/manager I would have said the same thing!!

About the dog: didn't some fans claim that incident caused Michael to be afraid of dogs; but I don't know how true that is because I have seen several photos of teen Michael with a dog and he looks quite comfortable. Maybe he just does not like other people's strange dogs?

norm_roflbotsvwx.jpg

I don't think Michael was uncomfortable with dogs since there are many pictures in his adult years hugging them or holding their leash. I don't understand where that rumor came from. Probably he didn't like some, like Liz' dog for example (he mentioned that in the PHM.)

Michael-and-a-Dog-in-HQ-michael-jac.jpg

evhr_00438458_a_207705b.jpg

michael_jackson_at_Skywalker_Ranch_bodyguard-dog_.jpg

Last edited:
Annita;4030849 said:
Day 8 – Michael Jackson
By Angel Howansky on July 23, 2014

"Somehow he knew how to think ahead... He did save my life once... As I lay unconscious, bleeding, little did I know, but Michael had run into the street to pay phone. He called out to people walking by if they could carry him, as he was unable to reach the phone because of his height. They did lift him up, and he called 9-1-1.

Bonnie Blue;4030870 said:
Probably not seeing that in the 90s she very publically accused him of sexually molesting her and her sister when they were children.

Petrarose;4030966 said:
We heard already from one of the brothers that Michel was very fast and he was able to run away from some of Joe's beatings due to his swift feet.

What always struck me about the story of Michael calling 911 when Joe got beaten up, which I remember from Katherine's book and the movie, is that it was Michael, the youngest, who called. Yes, he was fast and swift footed, but he also apparently was the quickest thinker in that group. At least in the movie, they depicted all the older teenaged bros just looking bewildered, while little, supposedly timid, Michael took charge to get help and save Joe.

It's interesting how Oprah and the rest of the media never seemed to really believe LaToya's 1990's accusations of Joe being inappropriate with her and Rebbie, but they absolutely acted like her claims against MJ were solid. The media always ask Joe about the beatings, but not these accusations. Even after LaToya admitted she lied about MJ (though she shifted responsibility to Jack Gordon), the media refuses to accept that MJ was falsely accused.

Last edited:
Here is that beating of Joe as depicted in the movie (@8:14)

Back