Joe reflects on his family in anticipation of his 86th birthday

Day 9 – Randy Jackson
By Angel Howansky on July 24, 2014

Randy-cover

Randy can play almost anything on stage. Because he was too young at the time to join the group, and us keeping him in all the time (looking after him), he got to spend most of his time playing around in the studio with almost all the various instruments. As he grew older he became more the percussionist. He is an extremely good producer and song writer. He is the one who wrote that famous song on the Jackson’s album, you know .. the one. … .. Well you get this way as you get older. He put together a group “Randy and Gypsys”. I loved that album. I think it would have done much better if they had given it a little more promotion.

Annita;4031067 said:
Day 9 – Randy Jackson

Randy-cover

Randy can play almost anything on stage. Because he was too young at the time to join the group, and us keeping him in all the time (looking after him), he got to spend most of his time playing around in the studio with almost all the various instruments. As he grew older he became more the percussionist. He is an extremely good producer and song writer. He is the one who wrote that famous song on the Jackson’s album, you know .. the one. … .. Well you get this way as you get older. He put together a group “Randy and Gypsys”. I loved that album. I think it would have done much better if they had given it a little more promotion.

What song joe is talking about?

I don't follow Joe's thoughts? What does he means or refer by that"you get this way as you get older"?
It seems like its nothing in the middle, or maybe he forgot to add something to it:scratch:

What song joe is talking about?
Maybe he means Shake Your Body? If I remember correctly, it was Randy who came up with the main hook for it while he was fiddling around on the piano (Michael has co-writer credit on it as well though). I mean, Randy co-wrote many tracks so it could be anything I guess, but Shake Your Body is one of the Jacksons most famous songs.

I don't follow Joe's thoughts? What does he means or refer by that"you get this way as you get older"?
It seems like its nothing in the middle, or maybe he forgot to add something to it:scratch:
Yeah, it's strange. It looks to me like someone just transcribed what he said. It's like he was trying to remember the name of the song, could not, and then gave up saying that that is what happens when you get older.

What always struck me about the story of Michael calling 911 when Joe got beaten up, which I remember from Katherine's book and the movie, is that it was Michael, the youngest, who called. Yes, he was fast and swift footed, but he also apparently was the quickest thinker in that group. At least in the movie, they depicted all the older teenaged bros just looking bewildered, while little, supposedly timid, Michael took charge to get help and save Joe.

It's interesting how Oprah and the rest of the media never seemed to really believe LaToya's 1990's accusations of Joe being inappropriate with her and Rebbie, but they absolutely acted like her claims against MJ were solid. The media always ask Joe about the beatings, but not these accusations. Even after LaToya admitted she lied about MJ (though she shifted responsibility to Jack Gordon), the media refuses to accept that MJ was falsely accused.

Now that you mention Latoya saying such claims, it made me remember those interviews where she accused Joe of molesting her and Rebbie. If it was true, why didn't she denounce him to the police? Talk shows weren't the right place to do so. It wouldn't be strange to me if she lied about Joe as well. But you're right about what the media and that fat cow did. If I were Latoya, I wouldn't want to be near Joe under any circumstance if her claims were true.

Annita;4031067 said:
Day 9 – Randy Jackson

Randy-cover

Ha I love this--Joe having his usual senior moments. He is right about Randy playing many instruments. I see he has nothing much to say about Randy... Maybe because Randy did not have much of a stage life after the J5.

Snowwhite^ About "He is the one who wrote that famous song on the Jackson’s album, you know .. the one. … .. Well you get this way as you get older. "

Joe was trying to remember the name but couldn't recall it, so they put the ... to show a pause. Then the comment about 'this is the way you get' roughly means that when you get to be this age (86) you don't remember things well. Some people call it senior moments.

Last edited:
I think he probably meant Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground). That's the most famous Jacksons song Randy co-wrote.

I actually guessed which song he was talking about but isn't written and composed by MJ and Randy, not just Randy as Joe says?

The story goes something like Michael heard Randy messing around playing the main riff to Shake Your Body on the piano and asked him what it was. Randy said it was "nothing", and Michael said "No, it's something" and then they wrote the song together. I could be misremembering but I think that is from Moonwalk.

Day 10 – Janet Jackson
By Angel Howansky on July 25, 2014

Janet-cover

Janet, the youngest in the family is very very smart. She was more like a tough kid. She was real rough. I mean she was rough. What do they call them… yes … tomboy. She was a tomboy. She could whop all the girls. Really rough and really really smart. She is really easy nowadays. She has mellowed. She is now married and living a good life with her husband.

I always felt that she was a natural when it came to acting. She did that movie, with the late Tupac Shakur. I thought it was a very good movie, and I was very proud of her performance. As great and known as a singer as she is, I think the world has yet to recognize her extremely great talent as an actress that surpasses her singing. She wants to have a good part in a strong action movie. I can’t wait to see her in one.

She did surprise me once, picking me as her date to the premiere of the movie she did with Eddie Murphy. Now Eddie is a great friend and I consider him one of this generation’s greatest comedians, but right in the middle of watching the movie, as proud as I was of Janet, I never let her know that. She asked me what I thought and I remember telling her “You should be bigger than this. You should be the lead actor in the movie and carrying it”. I know the comment upset her, because she became quiet and I knew it. But i know her so well, that I knew she was going to channel that anger to prove that she could do better and was right. She came back even stronger with greater movies. And you have not seen the best of her yet. That’s my girl.

When I suffered 4 strokes last year, and was in the hospital recovering, only two people in my family traveled all the way to see in the hospital. My granddaughter Brandi (Jackie’s daughter and my baby girl Janet. She sat right next to me as I lay in bed, spent time with me, talking about a lot together. It meant a lot to me. I lay there listening to her as she talked about how she was going to get married. I am happy for her and wish her nothing but the best ! I never tell you this, but I am proud of you Janet.

"Janet, the youngest in the family is very very smart. She was more like a tough kid. She was real rough. I mean she was rough. What do they call them… yes … tomboy. She was a tomboy. She could whop all the girls. Really rough and really really smart."

I guess Joe is talking about the time when she with KJ and Randy went to beat up his girlfriend.
Yeah, Janet's roughness is not surprise to anyone.

Over all, the kids who did the most for him got more "Joe credit and thanks" and the ones who weren't too interested in him, were merely side note.
I'm not surprised about this
"When I suffered 4 strokes last year, and was in the hospital recovering, only two people in my family traveled all the way to see in the hospital. My granddaughter Brandi (Jackie’s daughter and my baby girl Janet."

It sounds more like he writes stories of his most loyal servants than his kids.
To him, his kids exist to serve him.

Last edited:
Joe unlike Katherine, has no money to give so neither his children nor grandchildren are interested in him. I have no doubt if it were not for MJ's money , Katherine would have faced the same fate like her husband.

They have only remained close to her as she has always been their means to get money from MJ

Joe unlike Katherine, has no money to give so neither his children nor grandchildren are interested in him. I have no doubt if it were not for MJ's money , Katherine would have faced the same fate like her husband.

They have only remained close to her as she has always been their means to get money from MJ

So Joe is not worth of kidnapping:cheeky:

I wonder if that 4 strokes is true or is he trying to gather some pity as I only heard 1 stroke?
If it is true, why Jermy, Randy and Janet didn't take him to watch rainbows and play Uno?
KJ was taken to spa only after one (alleged) mini stroke, but Joe had 4, so by right his kids should have sent him to spa too.

Last edited:

I don't know. I think they would be there for Katherine. Katherine certainly didn't have MJ's best interest at heart many times, but he worshipped her. Kids need love and Katherine was their only parental source for it. Joe was so bad, it made Katherine a saint in comparison, and I think they always clung to that. None of them have ever talked about Joe with the kind of affection they do Katherine.

Katherine was indeed mother in their eyes. Joe wanted them to call him Joseph, and that's exactly who he was. Joseph. Not a beloved figure of reverence and respect. Just hearing he only had two visitors is actually sad to me. When my parents were ill, a family member was ALWAYS there, even sleeping there, and my family is very very small.

But what he said to Janet about her movie role shows he will NEVER get what "father" means, and worse, he doesn't seem to care.

HA, even Joseph admits Janet is a better actress than a singer. No matter how much her label or the media wanted to inflate her making people believe she was more successful than Michael in the 90's, he's above all his siblings (and many entertainers in the industry, if not all), not only in success but also in talent.

Joe's giving all of these accolades to his kids (even saying he told some of them so), but what stands out most (to me) is the rest of them are ALIVE to read his words; Mike isn't.

Did he ever tell his most loving/gifted/talented child that he loved him, that he was so proud of him?

DAMN. . . :cry:

Annita;4031261 said:
Day 10 – Janet Jackson
By Angel Howansky on July 25, 2014

Janet-cover

Janet, the youngest in the family is very very smart. She was more like a tough kid. She was real rough. I mean she was rough. What do they call them… yes … tomboy. She was a tomboy. She could whop all the girls. Really rough and really really smart. She is really easy nowadays. She has mellowed. She is now married and living a good life with her husband.

I always felt that she was a natural when it came to acting. She did that movie, with the late Tupac Shakur. I thought it was a very good movie, and I was very proud of her performance. As great and known as a singer as she is, I think the world has yet to recognize her extremely great talent as an actress that surpasses her singing. She wants to have a good part in a strong action movie. I can’t wait to see her in one.

She did surprise me once, picking me as her date to the premiere of the movie she did with Eddie Murphy. Now Eddie is a great friend and I consider him one of this generation’s greatest comedians, but right in the middle of watching the movie, as proud as I was of Janet, I never let her know that. She asked me what I thought and I remember telling her “You should be bigger than this. You should be the lead actor in the movie and carrying it”. I know the comment upset her, because she became quiet and I knew it. But i know her so well, that I knew she was going to channel that anger to prove that she could do better and was right. She came back even stronger with greater movies. And you have not seen the best of her yet. That’s my girl.

When I suffered 4 strokes last year, and was in the hospital recovering, only two people in my family traveled all the way to see in the hospital. My granddaughter Brandi (Jackie’s daughter and my baby girl Janet. She sat right next to me as I lay in bed, spent time with me, talking about a lot together. It meant a lot to me. I lay there listening to her as she talked about how she was going to get married. I am happy for her and wish her nothing but the best ! I never tell you this, but I am proud of you Janet.

^^I have to say guys that this is beautiful coming from Joe. It seems to me that now that he is older he appreciates the importance of having a family member come to you when you are sick. This is something a lot of parents don't realize when they are rearing their children. They are harsh with them and then the kids keep their distance. However, when the parents become old and sick and 1 or 2 children visit, they realize the happiness of having a loved one near. That is why it is not good to do actions that would distance you from loved ones. I hope he realizes now why only 2 people came to sit with him and only 1 mentioned the stroke on tv. With all those grandchildren and children he has the hospital should have been packed!!!!!!!

I notice he was the tough dad all through telling Janet she could have done better. He talks more about those who have more well-known careers also, like Janet and Michael. All the other children got small renderings. He needs to call Janet and tell her he loves her rather than putting it in the write up. Actually, he needs to call all the children and tell them he loves them and apologize for his mistakes.

Shelia that's a good question. I know Michael said he did not, but I wonder if afterwards, like in 08 or 09, if Joe said he loved him. It is sad to think that Michael died and Joe never did or said he was sorry. This thought makes me feel so bad for Michael.

@ Petrarose & SheilaMJFan

When I listened to Michael drugged under Murray’s lack of care it’s so clear how hurt he still was by what he suffered at Joseph’s hands as a child. I think it would have gone a long way toward his emotional healing if Joe had said I love you and I’m sorry.

Today is Joes birthday and he is in Spain without family. I wonder who is with him. Maybe Wiesner?

Victory22;4031430 said:
@ Petrarose & SheilaMJFan

When I listened to Michael drugged under Murray’s lack of care it’s so clear how hurt he still was by what he suffered at Joseph’s hands as a child. I think it would have gone a long way toward his emotional healing if Joe had said I love you and I’m sorry.

You are so right. All this man needed was his father to say with conviction and sincerity, look Michael I understand your pain and I am sorry for what I did; how can I help you. That would have been like a "freedom ticket" for Michael. He would have gotten so much healing for that statement and a hug from Joe. We would be seeing him and Joe hanging out at some fun fair having a good time, because Joe needed to do something childlike with Michael to heal Michael's "inner child." All of us have an inner child. It is all very sad.

Annita they will use as an excuse that they don't celebrate birthdays. He needs a call from family saying we are thinking of you. I hope someone spends some time with him. It seems making crazy deals makes him feel happy. I wonder if Michael ever wrote him a letter telling him what he wanted from him? Anyway I always remember the Oxford speech, so I guess in the end Michael accepted Joe for who Joe was.

Last edited:
Odd! Michael Jackson’s Father Joe Spent His 86th Birthday Visiting Barcelona’s Camp Nou
By James McGlade

FEEDS:Barcelona
Barcelona have engaged in a bizarre bit of publicity after releasing a video showing Joe Jackson, manager of the Jackson 5, spending his 86th birthday at the Camp Nou.

On a typically sunny day in Catalonia, Jackson was clad in a trademark heavy suit and fedora.

Though many people have fond memories of Michael, Janet and the other Jackson kids’ music, Joe acquired a horrific reputation for being an abusive father; forcing his children to perform and often resorting to physically beating them.

It’s odd that a club of Barcelona’s stature would go out of their way to be associated with him but you can watch the video below.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/o...s-86th-birthday-visiting-barcelonas-camp-nou/

What is a Camp Nau? This writer finds it odd that some club is associated with a man of Joe's stature, so there are no child beaters in Spain? No bad daddies in Spain who go to work and have coworkers and other humans associating with them?

Shelia that's a good question. I know Michael said he did not, but I wonder if afterwards, like in 08 or 09, if Joe said he loved him. It is sad to think that Michael died and Joe never did or said he was sorry. This thought makes me feel so bad for Michael.

Well I had been under the impression things were sorta patched up between them based on the Geraldo interview MJ gave. As well as the Oxford speech (beautiful to listen to again btw, in hindsight. very sad, of course, but nice to hear again. I cried just reading the transcript back in 2001).

But now I am a father myself, and one day I was thinking about my own children, Prince and Paris and how I wanted them to think of me when they grow up. To be sure, I would like them to remember how I always wanted them with me wherever I went, how I always tried to put them before everything else. But there are also challenges in their lives. Because my kids are stalked by paparazzi, they can't always go to a park or a movie with me.So what if they grow older and resent me, and how my choices impacted their youth? Why weren't we given an average childhood like all the other kids, they might ask? And at that moment I pray that my children will give me the benefit of the doubt. That they will say to themselves: "Our daddy did the best he could, given the unique circumstances that he faced. He may not have been perfect, but he was a warm and decent man, who tried to give us all the love in the world."
I hope that they will always focus on the positive things, on the sacrifices I willingly made for them, and not criticise the things they had to give up, or the errors I've made, and will certainly continue to make, in raising them. For we have all been someone's child, and we know that despite the very best of plans and efforts, mistakes will always occur. That's just being human.
And when I think about this, of how I hope that my children will not judge me unkindly, and will forgive my shortcomings, I am forced to think of my own father and despite my earlier denials, I am forced to admit that me must have loved me. He did love me, and I know that.

(sigh i wish i hadn't listened to that speech again - reminds me of how amazing of a man MJ was)

So I'd like to think he found closure, but yes, that recording does lead me to believe that not all was healed unfortunately. Though you also can forgive and not forget. And with him being in such a state at the time, pain like that tends to resurface I'd imagine.

Camp Nou is one of the biggest soccer stadiums in the world and the home arena for Barcelona. And I too find it odd for them to have Joe there. But they may have their reason.

Last edited:
Camp Nou is one of the biggest soccer stadiums in the world and the home arena for Barcelona. And I to find it odd for them to have Joe there. But they may have their reason.

If they are thinking of releasing any MJ related products without permission, they can forget about it. The estate will land hard on them. and that is the last thing Barcelona FC needs.

What is a Camp Nau? This writer finds it odd that some club is associated with a man of Joe's stature, so there are no child beaters in Spain? No bad daddies in Spain who go to work and have coworkers and other humans associating with them?
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The writer just finds it odd that a football club like Barcelona, one of the most famous in the world, would publicize the visit of someone with a checkered reputation like Joe Jackson.
They certainly don't need the (limited) publicity.

If they are thinking of releasing any MJ related products without permission, they can forget about it. The estate will land hard on them. and that is the last thing Barcelona FC needs.
Why would Barcelona want to release anything MJ related? It's a football club - and one of the most famous ones in the world at that.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The writer just finds it odd that a football club like Barcelona, one of the most famous in the world, would publicize the visit of someone with a checkered reputation like Joe Jackson.
They certainly don't need the (limited) publicity.

Well no wonder you don't understand what I am trying to say^^. I tend to read things from the top to the end in sequence, looking at how one comment/thought flows from another. You do not, and we talked about that before, hence your confusion and why you will never understand what I am saying.

If you check what he writes in context, you will see he mentions the type of person Joe is in relation to the treatment of Michael and then he juxtapose that with his comment about why they would have such a person like that there. I never implied they needed publicity, so I don't know why you even brought that up.^^

Why is it odd for them to have Joe there in relation to Joe's behavior. There are people in Spain with the same behavior as Joe and they go all over the place. I am sure there are some of them in the club too. What does Joe going to a place like that have anything to do with his bad parenting skills, anyway. They could mention that Joe is there because Michael did attend that big game in the UK that was publised. I am not saying that is the case, but obviously there was a reason. I have no great love for Joe but this writer obviously was trying to make a foolish point as far as I am concerned. There is nothing odd about Joe being anywhere, even though some may think so. He is a human and can go anywhere he pleases as long as he got in legitimately. Michael went to several different types of places, events and I don't think that odd either. These types of comments smell of a bit of veiled bigotism to me.

Michael Jackson's father visits the Museum
WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT 07/26/2014 09:04
Joseph Jackson celebrated his 86th birthday this Saturday morning by exploring FC Barcelona’s past and present in the club museum

“I like football. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate my birthday than being with football people, with the great players” he said

Michael Jackson's father visits Camp Nou per fcbarcelona
Joseph Walter Jackson, father of the late Michael Jackson and creator of the Jackson Five was at the club this Saturday morning to enjoy the Camp Nou Experience along with Simon Sahouri, president of the Michael Jackson Foundation, and other guests.

He arrived at the Camp Nou at 10.30 am, and spent the next two hours enjoying the tour and museum, thus getting to learn more about FC Barcelona’s 115 year history. He posed for pictures with the club’s four European Cups, the four Ballon d’Or trophies recently won by Leo Messi, and other articles, as well as getting to walk on the Camp Nou turf.

I was excited about coming to this stadium. It’s so, so big
Michael Jackson himself once performed in the same venue, on August 9, 1988 as part of the Bad World Tour and watched by 110,000 people. His father said today that “this is my first visit. I was excited about coming to this big stadium. It’s so, so big. I liked everything I saw” he told Barça TV and fcbarcelona.com. “I like football. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate my birthday than being with football people, with the great players”.

“At FC Barcelona, the players go to school and learn to be good players. Other clubs don’t so that. These players remind me of my boys in the Jackson Five. When they were onstage and working together, they put on a good show. And it’s the same with these players, when they all work together you can’t beat them.”

He added that "when I saw Neymar get hurt on TV, I said 'he's really hurt'. But I'm so glad that he's getting better. That's what I hear, he's getting better."

After being led out onto the pitch, Mr Jackson took a selfie as part of the photo competition being held at the moment, whereby fans can post their pictures on Instagram using the hashtag #campnouexperience.

Barça remind me of my boys in the Jackson Five. When they were onstage and working together, they put on a good show. And it’s the same with these players
Joseph Walter Jackson, who is 86 today, was also able to spend some time in the Camp Nou Lounge, where visitors up until the end of August can enjoy top quality cuisine while taking in the spectacular views from the first tier of the grandstand.

There was plenty of excitement among the tourists on the Camp Nou Experience when they discovered that they were being joined by such a very special guest.

The club expressed its gratitude for Mr Jackson’s visit by presenting him with a shirt with his surname printed on the back and invited him to come and watch the first team playing in an official home fixture.

Video on link:
http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/detail/article/michael-jackson-s-father-visits-the-museum

----------------------------------

Joe visit has something to do with Jackson Family Foundation as Simon Sahouri is President of the JFF.
Link to JFF site:http://legacyofthelegend.webs.com/jff-events

It seems to be all about exploiting Michael and making money of it.

The comment "odd" is bigotism?? For me it was odd strange whatever to have Joe Jackson as a guest there. Now when it's clear he is a fan of football as it's called in Europe I don't find it strange or odd anymore. Nice of Barcelona to show him around, I would do anything to get that tour too. I'm such a big fan if Barcelona FC and watch their every game.

Well no wonder you don't understand what I am trying to say^^. I tend to read things from the top to the end in sequence, looking at how one comment/thought flows from another. You do not, and we talked about that before, hence your confusion and why you will never understand what I am saying.

If you check what he writes in context, you will see he mentions the type of person Joe is in relation to the treatment of Michael and then he juxtapose that with his comment about why they would have such a person like that there. I never implied they needed publicity, so I don't know why you even brought that up.^^

Why is it odd for them to have Joe there in relation to Joe's behavior. There are people in Spain with the same behavior as Joe and they go all over the place. I am sure there are some of them in the club too. What does Joe going to a place like that have anything to do with his bad parenting skills, anyway. They could mention that Joe is there because Michael did attend that big game in the UK that was publised. I am not saying that is the case, but obviously there was a reason. I have no great love for Joe but this writer obviously was trying to make a foolish point as far as I am concerned. There is nothing odd about Joe being anywhere, even though some may think so. He is a human and can go anywhere he pleases as long as he got in legitimately. Michael went to several different types of places, events and I don't think that odd either. These types of comments smell of a bit of veiled bigotism to me.
No, there is nothing odd about Joe going to a tourist attraction. The writer is also not saying that Joe is the only abusive father in Spain at the moment, or that he should not be allowed to go anywhere he wants to. He is merely trying to point out that it is odd that FC Barcelona would go out of their way to make mention of it. That's why I brought up the point about publicity: Joe is not a major celebrity and what he is known for is not entirely positive. It would make sense if a small, local football team would mention someone like Joe visiting because his name is big enough that it could create some publicity for them, but FC Barcelona is one of the biggest football clubs in the world. They have much bigger celebrities, and people with less controversial reputations than Joe, visiting all the time. That's why I also find it surprising that they would go out of their way to publicize Joe's visit.

As for your first paragraph: I am not sure why you feel the need to be so rude. You seem to have a personal problem with me. All I know is that we have differing opinions about the Xscape album, which is perfectly fine with me. I don't think that's a reason to insult someone... Btw, I never talked about reading comprehension with you, nor do I feel any desire to.

Back