John Landis says Michael Jackson was too ‘grotesque’ to film

We all know MJ had too much plastic surgery, we all know he was a good looking guy in his youth and that he didn't need to have any surgery, we all know he had emotional issues stemming from his abusive childhood and living his whole life since the age of about 9 or 10 in the public spotlight. We know this, the world knows this, it has been discussed a million times. John Landis may well have been a bit shocked to see MJ in 2007 and how much he'd changed when he probably hadn't seen him since 1991. However, why can't he keep these thoughts to himself? If you truly like, admire, respect someone (as Landis did with MJ), then why not keep these thoughts private instead of providing the media with another story to run with?

I have no doubt that Landis truly did like MJ and admired/respected him, the video of him speaking after MJ's death was genuine and heartfelt. However, I find it really distasteful and disrespectful of him to publicly air these thoughts, especially after that person has died.

My reaction to Landis's comment.

[YOUTUBE]22YWYAtcyEA[/YOUTUBE]

I think that people exaggerate the amount of plastic surgery that MJ really had. Just look at This Is It for a good example. When he brought back the curls he looked like what he did in the Dangerous era. I think that Michael's change in appearance over the years was because of different hairstyles, weight loss/weight gain and vitiligo

1992j.jpg

Not that big of a difference

I think that people exaggerate the amount of plastic surgery that MJ really had. Just look at This Is It for a good example. When he brought back the curls he looked like what he did in the Dangerous era. I think that Michael's change in appearance over the years was because of different hairstyles, weight loss/weight gain and vitiligo

1992j.jpg

Not that big of a difference

Exactly. Shame some fans don't realize this. I don't believe Landis respects Michael as of today, it was good to save face and pretend he did when Michael was hiring and paying him to do his videos. These comments from Landis are nothing more than mean-spirited, they don't come out of concern, they come out of spite, anger and animosity.

I remem when that pic came out and many ppl thought it was from the dangerous era.there was abit of a debate till the fans in the photos confirmed it was new.

Here's some information that I found about John Landis that Eddie Murphy mentioned, & this was from back in the early 90s

It's been reported John Landis is talking smack - READ & SHARE what Eddie Murphy thinks of Landis.

EDDIE MURPHY INTERVIEW FROM THE 90'S "JOHN LANDIS IS F*CKED UP"

Rensin, David. "Playboy Interview: Eddie Murphy." Playboy Feb. 1990.

PLAYBOY: You could have directed Coming to America but didn't. Why?

MURPHY: I wanted to help out [the director, John] Landis. I figured I'd give this guy a shot because his career was f**ked. But he wound up f**king me.

PLAYBOY: What happened?

MURPHY: As it turned out, John always resented that I hadn't gone to his Twilight Zone trial. I never knew that; I though we were cool. But he'd been harboring it for a year. Every now and then, he would make little remarks, like, "You didn't help me out; you don't realize how close I was to going to jail." I never paid any mind.

PLAYBOY: Did you think he was guilty?

MURPHY: I don't want to say who was guilty or who was innocent. [Pauses] But if you're directing a movie and two kids get their heads chopped off at f**king twelve o'clock at night when there ain't supposed to be kids working, and you said, "Action!" then you have some sort of responsibility. So my principles wouldn't let me go down there and sit in court. That's just the way I am. If somebody in my family was guilty of something, I wouldn't sit there for them in a courtroom and say, "You've got my support." F**k that. The most it would be is, "Hey, you go work that out. I still love ya; I'm still your friend."

PLAYBOY: So you hired Landis out of friendship despite thinking he'd been irresponsible?

MURPHY: Yes. He'd done four f**ked-up movies in a row and I knew he'd spent a lot of money on his trial. I went to Paramount and said I wanted to use Landis. But they had reservations: His career was f**ked up. But I said, "I'm gonna use Landis." I liked the guy. I used to always say that the one fun experience I had with a director--and I've worked with directors I really liked: Marty Brest, Walter Hill, Tony Scott--was with Landis, because he plays around a lot on the set. I made Paramount hire him.

PLAYBOY: Was he grateful?

MURPHY: He came in demanding lots of money. Paramount was saying, "Hey, come on, Eddie, we're getting f**ked here," but I made them pay his money. They bent over backward. But after he got the job, he brought along an attitude. He came in with this "I'm a director" shit. I was thinking, Wait a second, I f**king hired you, and now you're running around, going, "You have to remember: I'm the boss, I'm the director."

One of his favorite things was to tell me, "When I worked with Michael Jackson, everyone was afraid of Michael, but I'm the only one who would tell Michael, 'F**k you.' And I'm not afraid to tell you, 'F**k you.'" And sure enough, he was always telling me, "F**k you, Eddie. Everybody at Paramount is afraid of you."

PLAYBOY: Is everybody afraid of you?

MURPHY: I don't know. But I still figured, Well, good! Because there's no way they're gonna respect me. They can't respect me. I was twenty-six years old. Imagine me in the office of a fifty-year-old guy in a suit. Naturally, he'd look at me, a kid, talking about "I want to do it this way," and he'd say, "Yeah, right. Sure, sure." Then on top of that, I'm this black man making demands. He'd look down his nose at me. So if I don't have his respect, at least let me have some fear. Let me have something.

PLAYBOY: But Landis just gave you grief?

MURPHY: It got worse and worse. What first put a bad taste in my mouth about him was when, after he hired [co-star] Shari Headley and all these other people, I said I wanted to take everybody to dinner. I didn't know anybody. But Landis grabbed Headley and said, "You stay away from Eddie. Don't go near him, because he's gonna f**k you and ruin my movie. He just wants your pu*sy." I'm thinking, Wait, ooohhh, nooo, that has nothing to do with being a f**king director. He's control freak. Just assuming that I was trying to get the pu*sy is one thing; and even if I was trying to get the pus*y, for him to try to stop me from getting it because he was directing the movie.... He's got a lot of nerve. Plus, it wasn't even about pu*sy.

PLAYBOY: Did you confront him?

MURPHY: I kind of ignored it. But every day, it was a new "I told Michael, 'F**k you'" story.

Then, one day, I had these two writers who did the screenplay for Coming to America with me. They were writing a TV show called What's Alan Watching? that my company was producing. They were at our location in New York, and Landis was asking them, "Why are you guys here?" They said, "We're working on something for Eddie." And he said [strongly], "The production's not picking that up." And they said, "No, we're working through Eddie's company. Right now, we're waiting for the deal to go through." And Landis said, "So you're not being paid yet? That company should be paying you! Don't come to New York unless you're being paid."

The whole crew was standing around--extras and actors--and Landis started screaming. "Don't be afraid to ask Eddie Murphy for his money. You go up and ask for your f**king money!" I walked in and he said, "Eddie! Your company is f**king these guys out of their money! Guys, don't be afraid to go up to Eddie and say, 'F**k you!'" He's screaming about my deal making in front of the cast.

PLAYBOY: What did you do?

MURPHY: I playfully grabbed him around the throat, put my arm around him and I said to Fruity, one of my guys, "What happens when people put my business in the street?" And Fruity said, "they get f**ked up." I was kind of half joking. Landis reached down to grab my balls, like he also thought it was a joke--and I cut his wind off. He fell down, his face turned red, his eyes watered up like a bitch and he ran off the set. F**kin' punk.

PLAYBOY: Did you go after him?

MURPHY: Nah. He came to my trailer later and made this big speech. His voice was trembling. And it all came out: that he didn't think I was talented, that the only reason he did Coming to America was for money, that he didn't respect me since I hadn't gone to his trial and all this bullshit. All this f**ked-up sh**. Called me ignorant, an a**hole.

PLAYBOY: How did you take it?

MURPHY: I'm sitting there shattered; I'm thinking, This f**king guy. I bent over f**king backward to get this guy a job. He probably won't even acknowledge what happened. He didn't realize that his ****ing career was washed up. So I told him, "The next time you f*ck around with me, I'm gonna whip your a**." His Hollywood sh** came out then: "What do you mean, 'whip my a**'? That's not in our deal." So I said, "You're gonna have to give me either some fear or some respect. I want one of them, because this is my sh** and you're working here. If the only way you can fear me is knowing that the next time you f**k up, you're gonna get your a** whipped, fine." But Landis was f**ked up: "Is that a net or a true-gross ass whipping I'm gonna get? What kind of a** whipping is it?"

PLAYBOY: Would you have whipped his a**?

MURPHY: If he had f**ked up again, I would have beat the sh** out of him.

PLAYBOY: Even considering the consequences of a lawsuit and criminal charges?

MURPHY: The thing about an assault charge is that if you're gonna do it, make it worth it. If it had come to that--me whipping his ass--there wouldn't have been some headline like "EDDIE MURPHY PUNCHES JOHN LANDIS IN THE FACE." I'd have beat the sh** out of him, put him in the f**king hospital, almost killed him. Then, when the headline read "EDDIE BEING SUED FOR ASSAULT," I'd have said [humbly], "Yeah, I did give him a horrible a** whipping; he deserves some sort of compensation, because I did beat the sh** out of him."

Anyway, it worked. He was afraid of me. He'll probably never admit it, but the motherf**ker was on his f**king toes for the rest of the show and didn't f**k with me for the whole rest of the picture."

Last edited:
It will never be the same having plastic surgeries in which people modify their appearences and having reconstructive surgeries in which plastic surgeons (sp?) RECONSTRUCT tissues that are destroyed or lost. Lupus is highly damaging to the nose, mouth, bucal mucosa if it isn't properly treated. I don't put directly the image because it's highly disturbing...

http://cucoalmeria.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/lupus.jpg

Most of his surgeries were reconstructive, Michael didn't change as much as ignorant jerks claim. It's true in some years his nose looked smaller but probably the reconstruction didn't work out that well all the time. In 2009 his nose, fact all his face looked so beautiful, I've seen the make up of Erik Y aka The Phantom of The Opera and he barely has a nose. Michael clearly had a nose and it pisses me off people still believes that bullshit knowing the existense of the autopsy which it put those rumors to rest.

522314_3562877514597_1352616276_33293179_161643953_n.jpg

225624_160595140669853_100001581051452_377642_970403_n.jpg

163718_184351711599105_123043904396553_495676_5714950_n.jpg

It wasn't Landis per-say, but:

On July 23, 1982, during the filming of Twilight Zone, actor Vic Morrow and child extras Myca Dinh Le and Renee Shin-Yi Chen were killed in an accident involving an out-of-control helicopter.

The National Transportation Safety Board reported in October 1984:

“ The probable cause of the accident was the detonation of debris-laden high temperature special effects explosions too near a low flying helicopter leading to foreign object damage to one rotor blade and delamination due to heat to the other rotor blade, the separation of the helicopter's tail rotor assembly, and the uncontrolled descent of the helicopter. The proximity of the helicopter to the special effects explosions was due to the failure to establish direct communications and coordination between the pilot, who was in command of the helicopter operation, and the film director, who was in charge of the filming operation."

Landis and several crew members were subsequently charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment. The prosecutors attempted to show that Landis was reckless and had violated laws relating to child actors by not telling parents and others of the children's proximity to explosives and helicopters and of limitations on their working hours. Numerous members of the film crew testified that the director was warned, but ignored these dangers. After an extended jury trial, Landis, represented by criminal defense attorney Harland Braun, and other crew members were acquitted of the charges.

Landis was later reprimanded for circumventing the State of California's child labor laws in hiring the two children killed in the accident. This tragedy resulted in stricter safety measures and enforcement of child labor laws, in the State of California.[9] The parents of the children sued, and would later settle out of court with the studio for $2 million per family. Morrow's children, one of them being actress Jennifer Jason Leigh, who was 20 at the time, also settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

Despite these settlements, Landis has never publicly accepted responsibility for the accident.

During an interview with Giulia D'Agnolo Vallan, Landis said:

“When you read about the accident, they say we were blowing up huts—which we weren't—and that debris hit the tail rotor of the helicopter—which it didn't. (...) The FBI Crime Lab, who was working for the prosecution, finally figured out that tail rotor delaminated, which is why the pilot lost control. The Special effects man who made the mistake, by setting off a fireball at the wrong time, was never charged.

Well maybe we should send Landis the Eddie piece, which show he is acting true to form--trying to sabotage those who helped him. He seems to have some inferiority complex too, since he always wants to show he is the boss and is not afraid of the star.

I am so sick and tired of people and their ignorance. If Joe Smith had vitiligo people would show him compassion and understanding. If you are Michael Jackson you get none of it. I can't even imagine how Michael must have felt seeing himself change because of a disease and there is not much he could have done to make himself look when he was younger. Then to add to that despair people question and accuse you of trying to be someone else. All you want is understanding and compassion. This man cried when Michael died. Well I am sorry if you really loved or cared about Michael you wouldn't say these things AT ALL. Especially publically when you know the media just eats that up. Michael wasn't the lucky one to have worked with John. It was John who was lucky to have worked with Michael. He needs to remember that and if he really cared about Michael at all then he should educate himself and shut the hell up.

John Landis and Eddie Murphy worked again after that. He directed Eddie in Beverly Hills Cop 3 in 1994.

If MJ had not called John Landis and asked him to do Thriller - NOONE would remember John Landis!

John Landis may have made som great films prior to Thriller, but his most famous work is the work he did with MJ. All interviews with him he has been asked about MJ, maybe he was angry being in MJ's shadow?

How a person could say the things he said about another person? Only a person without compassion would use those hurtful words. Sometimes when people speak in a derogatory way about Michael, I don't if they do it because they really dislike Michael or they want to please the press. But whatever their motives, they seem to lack compassion and people without compassion for others can become dangerous.

“I think they’re going to restore and convert ‘Thriller,’ which they have to do with me, I own it, and that may be released theatrically next year . . . "

What exactly does he own?

Last edited:
:wtf2
tumblr_mh9a4jdtm71rhk2w1o2_250.gif

And who cares about plastic surgery? :bugeyed And why some are discussing about this? :blink: :bored: Maybe I'm going blind :scratch:... because I never really saw this BIG change in Michael over the years as many fans see. :unsure:

Aquarius;3845871 said:
How a person could say the things he said about another person? Only a person without compassion would use those hurtful words. Sometimes when people speak in a derogatory way about Michael, I don't if they do it because they really dislike Michael or they want to please the press. But whatever their motives, they seem to lack compassion and people without compassion for others can become dangerous.

“I think they’re going to restore and convert ‘Thriller,’ which they have to do with me, I own it, and that may be released theatrically next year . . . "

What exactly does he own?

I would like to know that too?

I thought MJ payed himself for Thriller - and MJ made "The Making of Thriller" to make money to pay for the video? - So I thought MJ himself owned both The making of Thriller and the "Thriller" video?

Michael wrote the Thriller story with Landis. I assume that's the reason he receives royalties.

That only means he has to get some royalties doesn't it? He can not decide The Estate can't make it in 3D and release it? - I mean John Landis would not be able to prevent SONT and the estate to do what they want to do with Thriller. As long as he is paid the royalties he needs to be paid he can't decide anything can he??

He is just a pathetic asshole. The estate should release the thriller and black or white short films in the best possible quality/3D and not let Landis be directly involved(just like they did with quincy). these short films were great only because of Michael and not you. Shame Michael always said he loved you and considered you a real friend.

heres the thing if michael did infact bleach his skin wouldnt his skin be like all full of scars?

heres the thing if michael did infact bleach his skin wouldnt his skin be like all full of scars?

Michael did "bleach" his skin but it was as a treatment for his Vitiligo. If Michael bleached his skin without having Vitiligo, it would not be covered in blotches.

I can't believe this is still an issue for some people when there is such overwhelming evidence that MJ had Vitiligo. There are pictures and videos going all the way back to the Thriller era that show the blotches on his skin, several doctors independently diagnosed him with Vitiligo (including a doctor hired by the prosecution in 1993), medication to treat Vitiligo was found in his house in 1993, 2003 and 2009, the autopsy report confirmed that MJ had Vitiligo, etc. and people are still sceptical about it. It just shows how powerful the media are in brainwashing people, to the extent that no amount of evidence will convince them that they have been told a lie.

I don't think he says anything too strange (I think a lot of people actually would agree with MJ not looking at his best in the last years of his life), but as the things he said aren't nice he could've just kept his mouth shut :)

Michael did "bleach" his skin but it was as a treatment for his Vitiligo. If Michael bleached his skin without having Vitiligo, it would not be covered in blotches.

Yeh but isnt that vitilogo does anyway makes blotches on the skin?

Yeh but isnt that vitilogo does anyway makes blotches on the skin?

Yes, that's my point. If Michael bleached his skin without having Vitiligo, his skin would be depigmented evenly (assuming Michael didn't apply the bleaching cream in patches all over his body).

In Michael's case, most of his skin had already lost its pigment due to Vitiligo and the bleaching cream merely served to depigment the remaining blotches of dark skin to create a more even skin tone.

Last edited:
I think we are all singing the choir here as it relates to Michael and his looks.

As I said elsewhere on this board - people in Michael's life are always keen to talk about what was allegedly wrong with him and NEVER willing to take a critical look at themselves. Landis has that problem. After reading that interview with Eddie Murphy I am even more convinced that Landis is typical of the kind of people that Michael had to put up with in his career. The fact that Michael was able to remain basically a decent human being says so much about him.

Landis on the other hand is not worth us debating. The man has issues.

Last edited:
Back