John Landis suing Michael Jackson?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sad news and I hope they will settle it as soon as possible.

yes, it is sad news. John Landis and MJ have worked wonders together and i was kinda hoping he would be involved in some way with the new album, but this now looks unlikely, im not sure its turned massively sour, john just probably wants his money, still its not just him and MJ, there are so many other things to consider, such as firms representatives, ect. its not just a case of black or white, hopefully it will pass over smoothly.

round and round it goes, where it stops, no body knows.....

I see a pattern forming here, a never ending circle

1. Michael makes buisness deal

2. Hands over maintaince on said buisness deal to employees

3. Employees leave or are fired

4. Maintance on said buisness deal is not kept up, Michael hasnt got a clue whats happening

5. Money dosnt get paid, legal action gets taken

6. Fans blame the person taking the legal action, as oopsie Michael can do no wrong

7. Fans start a hate campagain against the person , case settled out of court

8. part 1 starts again

Until such time Michael takes care of his buisness dealings himself intead of relying on his employeees, the endless cycle of court cases will continue.

Incase you have forgotton, I was in the court in London in Novemeber, hearing testomy which wasnt reported in the media from Michael's ex employeee. Go search that report here on MJJC. You will see that Michael didnt have a clue what was happening, signing documents which he had no idea about, getting himself into all kinds of stuff, and basically living in cloud cookcoo land. This is exactly the same thing. Stop being soo nieve, Michael is amazing, talented etc, and I love him with all my heart, but some of you need to realise he is not god, he makes mistakes, and is most of the time living in his little bubble world, with no clue as to whats happening with his finances, buisness deals etc!
You sad it. That's the conclusion that I too have come up with. It's not always that "they are out to get Michael". Maybe Michael should ask someone like Madonna how she handles her business because she does a lot of business too and how many times do we see headlines of someone suing Madonna for not paying her bills? Ugh!

I don't think this is Michaels fault he hires people to do his business, these people should have made sure John was paid

I agree. Mike knows what he is doing. He probably had people there to handle his money at one time and clearly did not do that for him. Hence, why John Landis, Mike's "friend" is suing Mike. I am reading some comments on here about MJ needs to pay his bills, he needs to handle his money, etc. as if he never did that before. He is a big star and he has accountants to handle that for him because he is so busy doing various things. I agree, he should start paying his own ish for now on. However, the very fans who tell MJ that he needs to do this and that regarding his money when we all know he hired complete fools to handle his money and pay his bills, is laughable. Until you are in MJ's shoes, you really can't talk. Yeah, he should probably watch where his money is going, but he hired people to do that. If they did not do what they are suppose to do, then, the way I see it, MJ should not really be "trashed" on here. John Landis started doing this suing mess just when stories are being spread about the Thriller video being (supposedly) a Broadway musical. The timing is interesting even though the media waited just over a week to report the news.

I'm not saying Michael can't do anything wrong, but when one of the things listed in a message above said that Michael makes a business deal, hands over the maintenance, etc. to his employees, they get fired or leave, etc., etc., and eventually makes it sound like it's all Michael's fault...well, new people DO get hired. When people get fired, leave, etc. the workload that person(s) handled is given to another person, or possibly the new person(s) hired. Just because a person is fired or leaves doesn't mean that work shouldn't get done, and it's not Michael's fault necessarily. He has a lot of responsibility, business, etc. as it is...I'm sure we have no clue what a busy schedule is until we've actually LIVED a day in the life of Michael Jackson. It's easy to point fingers and say that Michael doesn't take care of things, but there could be more to the story there. Everyone wants Michael to release a new album, tour, etc., but just taking care of his finances alone could take up all of his time, leaving him with no time to actually focus on his music, etc. The employees he hires were most likely hired in good faith that they would have fulfilled their duties, and if anything left, business would carry on as usual. Michael may not even hire every single person, himself. When a company gets big and popular enough, it's impossible for the founder, leader, CEO, whatever, to oversee EVERYTHING...that's why they hire employees to begin with...because the workload is too much. There's a lot more involved than we could imagine. It's not just about going into the studio for a few hours and recording an entire album, then coming up with an entire show for a tour and finalizing it all within another few hours, etc., and then the rest of the day, week, etc. is left for Michael to handle his finances, etc. Do you think the founder of WalMart takes care of every single piece of paper and deal that passes the desk? Most likely not. Everything gets to be too big and too much for one person to handle. It's not necessarily Michael who's at fault as an individual, but perhaps it's his employees instead for failing to redistribute the workload after someone got fired or quit. There's no reason why something that old should have been left to accumulate. There are so many if's, and's and but's in this case, and not all of the information is out there. My personal opinion is that we shouldn't really speculate or start pointing the fingers at any specific person if we don't have all of the pieces of the puzzle and don't know everything that goes into Michael's life, work, finances, etc. It's possible that this lawsuit could be his fault, but it's also very possible that it's not his fault. It's a matter that I think people should stay out of and let it be resolved by the people that are actually involved in it. I think it's ridiculous that these stories are even printed in the news, and nothing should be written in things like this until there's an answer or verdict. Printing the story now only provokes rumors, speculation, accusations, etc.

You guys are going in circles and it's really redundant and down-right silly. The contract is clear as day. Optimum/MJ signed over 50% of the profits to John Landis for the Thriller video and performance. Michael also agreed to provide quarterly then annual statements regarding Thriller. This isn't about walking in others shoes or who's right and who's wrong. It's about fiscal responsibility and oversight. If there is no oversight in anything financial, finances will spiral out of control.

Michael Jackson has been through HELL. Not too long ago, Michael was literally fighting for his life. Many people screwed him over financially and because of lack of oversight on his part (hiring crooks, shady accountants, etc) it's now catching up to him. Blinders and rose colored specs off people!! He'll eventually get it together and fix this mess but it is what it is - a mess! Lawsuits settled every other week it seems and this one is added to the long list of non-oversights and the mishandling of his financial empire.

And no one here should be mad at John Landis for wanting to collect his money. It's BUSINESS and if you enter into an agreement, you must honor it. If you can't, you reach out to the business partner and simply explain what's going on. You just don't disappear and cut people off left and right when you have an contractual obligation to them. You DISSOLVE the contract. You renegotiate the contract but you don't shut down. Sure blame can go on accountants and GM that are handling your finances... but if you don't know what they are doing in YOUR NAME with YOUR MONEY, then guess what? It is NO ONE'S fault but YOURS. In the end, it's your responsibility. I don't have to walk in anyone's shoes to know that.

Michael will do what he has to do. He always does. But to sit here and blame John Landis is simply irresponsible. Mike ain't God. He's human and he makes mistakes just like you and me. All this "aww poor michael" crap is for the birds. He's a grown ass man - not some peter pan kid that needs to be coddled by the fans.

Blah I'm done with this thread. Ugh.

MsTenda, and Gaz, just so no one will fail to GET IT, I echo what you are saying, completely. This is a bit of a reality check. It's been explained, and explained. This is a valid contract. Michael paid on it until 2004, and not since. Landis got discouraged and tired of waiting. I don't see that he had much choice. Michael needs to step up, now. He just DOES, and that's all there really is to it.

Vic

STOP PASSING THE BUCK, fans.....admit it and move on. Sure people use this man and manipulate things but not every person he crosses has a vendetta and not every business deal is out to get something from him. he's not stupid. it's called 'keeping an eye on ur shit' and he doesnt'

w/ such a high turnover rate at team mj, things like this are bound to happen but they always do and this time it's unfortunate cuz it's w/ john. and if it were as simple and just 'contacting mj and doing this privately' dont' u think it would've been done? who the hell relishes in having contentious legal battles and paying money to get what you're owed?

if it's not an appreciation thread in mj land, it's a bash thread or a bash topic and damn right sad that this is always how the community reacts. Gaz is right on this one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back