John Mayer Slammed for "Racist" Remarks in Playboy

personally i think the fact that he doesnt seem to have any respect for his ex's is what makes him so unappealing. I'm sure he's not racist, just pathetic. His comments were uncalled for, unneccessary and unwanted. Black women around the world are breathing a sigh of relief i bet. I would rather dig a hole in the ground with my tongue than listen to him talk about his d*ck...just do us all a favour and keep it in your pants so we dont have to hear about it afterwards.

mjgif4.gif

AWWW! :D

As for Mayer: "My stupid mouth has got me in trouble, I said too much again". Sung by Mayer himself on the song My Stupid Mouth. :doh:

the patterns over a period of many years, are the reason why people are offended so easily. if you spent many many many years being a target of this kinda stuff, you wouldn't find it so refreshing. nobody likes to have salt put in a wound...not even in a laughing manner. but then, i guess you are an exception to the rule? last time i heard, everybody has a button that can be pushed. if someone found yours, and they pushed it, and you reacted, and then they said...why are you so oversensitive...let me guess....you would be a stand up guy...

of course..i'll never get to see the proof of that.

oh..wait...i just saw the proof that ur buttons can be pushed..in your previous posts, in this thread.

I was going to read your post but then I decided it was probably going to be dumb and created this post to be petty and immature instead.

So if I am a comedian I have a free pass to say certain things during interviews, and if I said that same exact thing in an interview and was not a comedian it would be different?
I didn't say that at all. I said even if a comedian said things to Mayer's degree, it wouldn't necessarily not be offensive, but yes, people would be more (note I said 'more' and not 'completely') receptive to it given that it's their job to be funny.

The only difference in that regard is that you know that a comedian is trying to be funny, which isn't really a difference at all since a slightly intelligent person should be able to look at John Mayer's comments and determine that he is also trying to be funny, regardless of whether or not you find him funny.
Do you really expect Chris Rock is going to give a deep, solemn heartfelt interview? JM on the other hand is famous for these heartfelt songs, so people generally don't anticipate or furthermore APPRECIATE him going into things such as vile 'funny' detail about his member and its sexual preferences and his closeness to black people, but I guess everyone (other than you of course) is an idiot for this, cause it was meant to be funny. If something is meant to be funny, does that necessarily make it funny? It's not like he was unaware that the n word is offensive. It's not like he was unaware that comparing his dick to a 'white supremacist' and a guy who from what I read was involved in the KKK isn't an incredibly over the top way of saying I prefer women of my race. But well, seeing as he was meant to be funny a people who have endured racism for the bulk of their existence shouldn't be offended and black women should be splitting their sides laughing over this guys vehement lack of desire to go anywhere near them. Ha.ha

As for the rest of your post, refer to what vncwilliam had to say.

I didn't say that at all. I said even if a comedian said things to Mayer's degree, it wouldn't necessarily not be offensive, but yes, people would be more (note I said 'more' and not 'completely') receptive to it given that it's their job to be funny.

But some people just like to be jokey in their every day lives because it's a part of their personality. I would say that the purpose of celebrity interviews is to give the reader an idea of who the person being interviewed is, though of course you can't tell everything about a person from an interview.

Do you really expect Chris Rock is going to give a deep, solemn heartfelt interview? JM on the other hand is famous for these heartfelt songs, so people generally don't anticipate or furthermore APPRECIATE him going into things such as vile 'funny' detail about his member and its sexual preferences and his closeness to black people, but I guess everyone (other than you of course) is an idiot for this, cause it was meant to be funny.

I don't think anyone should be required to act and sound the way their music sounds at all times, and if this factor influences people in being "more" offended then they shouldn't have been stereotyping the individual in the first place. Anyone can write a love song (not anyone can write a good love song, mind you, but that's another subject). I'm also not necessarily disagreeing if people decide that certain comments are stupid, because the comments in question really are packed with a certain level of stupidity, but the idea that it's worse than several other things that several other people say is hypocritical.

If something is meant to be funny, does that necessarily make it funny?

NOTHING is factually funny or not funny. It is all 100% subjective. The point was, though, that the purpose of the things being said here was to be comedic/ironic/amusing, and that makes it the same. You can't really judge based off of "well this person making racial jokes was okay because he's funny and this other person doing the same thing isn't okay because he's not funny." The intention of the person telling the joke is the same, which means that neither is being worse than the other.

It's not like he was unaware that the n word is offensive. It's not like he was unaware that comparing his dick to a 'white supremacist' and a guy who from what I read was involved in the KKK isn't an incredibly over the top way of saying I prefer women of my race. But well, seeing as he was meant to be funny a people who have endured racism for the bulk of their existence shouldn't be offended and black women should be splitting their sides laughing over this guys vehement lack of desire to go anywhere near them. Ha.ha

Forgetting for a second that I already agreed that him using the N word was idiotic, I'm also going to agree with you that he had to have realized that the things coming out of his mouth were questionable, whether or not they were intended to be humorous in nature. I'm still lost, however, on how this is particularly different than countless public figures who intentionally say things that they know will push buttons and are admired for being clever and edgy.

Oh, and I'm not sure exactly where I said that black women should be laughing their asses off, but I'm sure I said it because it would be beneath you to make stuff up to make me look like a douche. I think I do a fine enough job being a douche all on my own :).

As for the rest of your post, refer to what vncwilliam had to say.

I think I'll pass, thanks.

dude wants to be Lenny Bruce but he messed up and sounds like a bigot and needs to be called out on it. dude is a good guitar player with some good songs,but despite the record company trying to make him a hybrid version of Stevie Ray Vaughan and James Taylor dude still hasn't gotten it right, he needs to shut up and make music.

we want this turkey to be more like George Wallace the comedian and not George wallace the bigot politician.

he can tweet on that.

Well,

At least he's honest. An ass, but an honest ass.

Why apologize? I usually can't stand when people apologize for using racial epithets. He so freely said those things, and I'm sure he probably uses them in regular conversations with friends. Sorry, but I would've respected him if he said it without an apology. At the end of the day, people will be ignorant. Maybe he'll learn, maybe he won't.

On another note; Is it me? or does John Mayer look a little different (googling old photos now). It was not too long ago when he was at the bottom of a girl's "hot" list.

Feb 16 2010 6:11 PM EST
Russell Simmons, Jermaine Dupri Aren't Mad At John Mayer For Playboy Interview

'He didn't mean anything by it,' Simmons says of Mayer's controversial comments.

By Shaheem Reid

John Mayer has apologized for his multiple controversial comments in his recent Playboy interview — one of which involved a racial slur — and rappers like N.O.R.E. and Talib Kweli took Mayer to task for his statements last week. But Russell Simmons and Jermaine Dupri said during NBA All-Star weekend that they aren't mad at him — in fact, Simmons even gave Mayer "a pass" (although he didn't mean 'hood pass).
bttn_play-big.png
mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:484347
bttn_play.gif

"He's a nice guy. He don't know," Simmons said on the red carpet at Jay-Z and LeBron James' "Two Kings Dinner and Afterparty" presented by Bing and Sprite. "If you live in Beverly Hills, you might think there's a post-racial society and the pain is gone. A lot of black people use that word, all the time — myself included — kind of as a way to ease the pain from it. You sort of forget that it even existed. We can do that. But when you see people outside of the community do that, it's more hurtful. He didn't mean anything by it. I give him a pass. He's hard on his girls [Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Aniston], though, ain't he? On the black community, it's not so hard. That's my opinion."
Jermaine Dupri had a different but related take on Mayer's comments. "I thought it was a funny-ass interview," Dupri said on Sunday at the NBA All-Star game. "I personally think he thought he was talking to Playboy and it wasn't gonna get to the rest of the world. I guess he underestimated his power and how famous he is and people took it the wrong way. Not to say what he said was cool, but I thought it was a funny interview. It's his private parts and whatever he wants to do with 'em, that's what he wants to do with 'em. That's not for us to judge. I think we in his business too much. I think he [went] the wrong way about saying it. I love the Jessica Simpson part though." http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631995/20100216/simmons_russell.jhtml

Ok if the guy wanted to say he wasnt attracted to black women he should have just SAID I AM NOT ATTRACTED TO BLACK WOMEN. Big flippin' deal. Everyone, as someone already mentioned, has a preference and if that's his then fine. BUT the way he said it was just...not right and NOT cool. And as others have said he seemed to be 'trying to be witty' and he failed miserably at it. Personally I believe LOVE is colour blind, as it's blind to everything else. Maybe it's me but colour shouldnt matter in an case ESPECIALLY where love is concerned...

Not a big fan of his personality and his music usually leaves much to be desired for me, but yeah...Guy needs to definitely think and get what he wants to say straight before he speaks. Otherwise he'll continue looking like a jackass.
I agree. with that said.

What a filthy piece of :blowup:

And This garbage filth of a man had the honor to perform @ Michael's memorial?:bugeyed

*Permanently deletes Mayor's guitar rendition of Human Nature from music file*

:mat::censored::boohoo::shock:

I hate hate hate to say this but John Mayor is PURE.UBER. and UTTER GARBAGE.
He better hope he never ever crosses paths with me. I have no mercy nor any sympathy for this JERK and excuse of a human being.

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole interview...or this ungodly long thread on one silly, minute situation that John happened to get himself into.

Remember people, he wrote My Stupid Mouth for a reason. He puts his foot in his mouth a lot. He's just using a bigger loudspeaker nowadays.

But has anyone taken into account why this question was posed to him in the first place? Why is John being asked if African American women throw themselves at him? Does it honestly matter in the first place? He has a big fanbase w/ many colors i'm sure. It's a silly question to ask anyone, imo.

And John answered in the only way he knew how. He answered it in his usual 'i'm trying to impress you with my words' manner. He shouldn't have said some words, but like someone said earlier. He just got a little too comfortable with the interviewer. John's a pretty color blind artist. I should know since i've read so many other interviews of him.

And this whole thing just got waaaay out of hand to me! Honestly! Somebody in the media was just looking for a witch-hunt on someone, and Mayer happened to be the closest target at the time. Onward and upward with the kicking of celebs when their on the ground.

I haven't read the whole interview...or this ungodly long thread on one silly, minute situation that John happened to get himself into.

Remember people, he wrote My Stupid Mouth for a reason. He puts his foot in his mouth a lot. He's just using a bigger loudspeaker nowadays.

But has anyone taken into account why this question was posed to him in the first place? Why is John being asked if African American women throw themselves at him? Does it honestly matter in the first place? He has a big fanbase w/ many colors i'm sure. It's a silly question to ask anyone, imo.

And John answered in the only way he knew how. He answered it in his usual 'i'm trying to impress you with my words' manner. He shouldn't have said some words, but like someone said earlier. He just got a little too comfortable with the interviewer. John's a pretty color blind artist. I should know since i've read so many other interviews of him.

And this whole thing just got waaaay out of hand to me! Honestly! Somebody in the media was just looking for a witch-hunt on someone, and Mayer happened to be the closest target at the time. Onward and upward with the kicking of celebs when their on the ground.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Jessica Simpson says she hasn’t forgiven John Mayer

John Mayer may need to re-release “My Stupid Mouth” with a special dedication to Jessica Simpson.

782085de.jpg

The bubbly blonde star is refusing to accept her ex-boyfriend's apology for a revealing "Playboy" interview in which he likened her to "crack cocaine" and compared their sex life to "sexual napalm."

In an episode of the "Oprah Winfrey Show" airing Wednesday, Simpson said she felt betrayed when intimate details of her sex life were exposed and has vowed not to let the sultry singer off the hook that easily.

"I haven't written back. I don't accept it," she told Oprah.

Simpson split with Mayer in 2007 after about a year of dating and said the shocking comments were completely out of character for the man she once loved.

"I tried to read the article, and I was so disappointed in him," she said. "It made me so sad, and it was really discouraging because that's not the John that I knew...I hope he gets his life together."

As well as personally trying to apologize to Simpson, Mayer also publicly lamented his comments during a concert last month in Nashville. "In the quest to be clever," he said, "I completely forgot about the people that I love and that love me."

While the outspoken performer also pledged to "quit the media game" and just "play my guitar" after the controversy erupted, it seems that may be easier said than done for someone who seems so at home courting the spotlight - and famous women.

The 32-year-old took to Twitter this week to engage in some public flirtation with "Tik Tok" singer Ke$ha writing: "Dear Ke$ha, you have won me over with your tricks and charms and I must tell you I really like your song. Though I must add I tried brushing with a bottle of Jack and I chipped a tooth on the glass. Where might I remit an invoice?"

And it seems Mayer may have finally met his match when it comes to vulgarity; the 23-year-old party girl wasted no time Tweeting back her fellow singer:

"Dear John Mayer. Don't be a little b**ch wit ur chit chat. Jus $how me where ur d**k's at. x"

http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/celebs/celebutant/article.aspx?cp-documentid=23569706

was he drunk when he said that. what a bizarre thing to say

The 32-year-old took to Twitter this week to engage in some public flirtation with "Tik Tok" singer Ke$ha writing: "Dear Ke$ha, you have won me over with your tricks and charms and I must tell you I really like your song. Though I must add I tried brushing with a bottle of Jack and I chipped a tooth on the glass. Where might I remit an invoice?"

lol, the author of this article has a weird idea of what flirting is.

Back