"King Of Style" roundtable on Sunday, 08/06/23

(From the youtube notes: Hosted and moderated by stylist and designer, June Ambrose. Panelists are John Branca, Co-Executor of The Michael Jackson Estate, Michael Bush, Michael Jackson's costume designer, Stylist and Contributing Editor to Vogue Italia, Rushka Bergman, and Supermodel and Fashion Expert, Kamini Chin Loy.)
That's quite an impressive lineup, can't get better than that to talk about Michael's style. I am surprised the outcome was so meh! (have not watched it yet, probably not going to based on comments here)

the glaring omission was bill whitten. he was the original designer of michael’s glove, black sparkly cardigan and rhinestone socks, the ‘rock with you’ jumpsuit and military jackets he wore to the grammys, amas, the White House in ‘84 to name just a few. he created an iconic image with michael that bush built on, and received credit for. they could have at least mentioned his name.

the glaring omission was bill whitten. he was the original designer of michael’s glove, black sparkly cardigan and rhinestone socks, the ‘rock with you’ jumpsuit and military jackets he wore to the grammys, amas, the White House in ‘84 to name just a few. he created an iconic image with michael that bush built on, and received credit for. they could have at least mentioned his name.
Agreed. His omission from the story about the glove was particularly annoying. They can't fit in everything into 23 mins but, then again, they found time to make pointless and inaccurate remarks about white t-shirts. 🤷‍♀️

Agreed. His omission from the story about the glove was particularly annoying. They can't fit in everything into 23 mins but, then again, they found time to make pointless and inaccurate remarks about white t-shirts. 🤷‍♀️
true. they mentioned that michael took the cardigan from his mother’s wardrobe, but they didn’t say who designed it. it’s sad because whitten is no longer here to tell his story. he doesn’t deserve to be forgotten. he created some timeless pieces.

true. they mentioned that michael took the cardigan from his mother’s wardrobe, but they didn’t say who designed it. it’s sad because whitten is no longer here to tell his story. he doesn’t deserve to be forgotten. he created some timeless pieces.
Exactly. Yes, the angle of it being Katherine's jacket is all very well. Nice detail and perhaps unexpected for those who don't already know the story. But there is more to say and it doesn't need a great deal of time. So I was rather disappointed by that.

Like always, my perspective is, if you're a casual fan, or basically a modern day youth with a tiktok who may not have even been alive when MJ was, then it oughta be, fine, as a starter place. That's basically the audience you have on the MJ YouTube place, of all places. Doesn't mean they need to make a fluff piece of course.

That's quite an impressive lineup, can't get better than that to talk about Michael's style. I am surprised the outcome was so meh! (have not watched it yet, probably not going to based on comments here)
Personally, I think it is worth watching and judging for yourself. While I found it underwhelming and frustrating in a number of ways, I still enjoyed the premise and thought it was nice to see Michael talked about so positively. I have hope that any additional episodes might be better executed. Also, I saw a ton of people on Twitter and Facebook who absolutely loved it. So it really just depends, I think, on your perspective.

Like always, my perspective is, if you're a casual fan, or basically a modern day youth with a tiktok who may not have even been alive when MJ was, then it oughta be, fine, as a starter place. That's basically the audience you have on the MJ YouTube place, of all places. Doesn't mean they need to make a fluff piece of course.
This is basically how I feel too. I don't think this is actively harmful in any way. It's just underwhelming for serious fans. But it always helps to create fresh content. There are new fans every day, of all ages. Still, I'm 100% in agreement that it shouldn't have been a fluff piece and they could have done better. I guess I can see the positive, even if I overall found it disappointing.

mmm ..i saw that as so political straight away,but can mere mortals ever know, really ?
Eh? I guess I should clarify... the reason they had to use those Russian cargo planes was simply because they were big enough to hold all of the HIStory tour set pieces and such. American cargo planes couldn't hold them, so they used the Russian ones. However, because the Russian models are so big, you need an extra-long runway to land them, and not many airports have those. The ones that due charge a landing fee for someone to use such a runway to land a plane of such a huge size.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I'll have to edit it to make it clear it was about size, not politics lol.

The video was alright. Definitely felt pander-y at certain points, but Bush and Branca actually talking about MJ and sharing anecdotes of him was nice.

Also, I know that they didn't ask real fans to sit in the audience. If they did, we know they would've boo'ed Branca.

I just feel like they glossed over things too much and like when they zoned in they had nothing of use to say. It was like they were rushed and had to think on the spot and it feels like theyre pretending to have a conversation rather than actually having one.
That's a really good observation. That is exactly what it felt like to me and it keys into the whole idea of Michael being talked about more as an idea than as a person, a theory already suggested by @SmoothGangsta and reiterated on this thread by @staywild23

He was the fashion icon of the USA, but he made a global presence in the fashion world as well.
He was and he did. :) 🥳

It was like they were rushed and had to think on the spot and it feels like theyre pretending to have a conversation rather than actually having one.
That's because Branca and Bush have no charisma and are not really fame caliber. They are simply shunting themselves forward into the roles. The others there don't know them, and maybe don't even like em.

THIS! My mouth hung open in disbelief and almost hysteric laughter when they talked about Michael and his GRUnge Fashion Sense ... and then showed the EARTH SONG short film. Like, is this a joke?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::poop:
i read back through the thread to find something , and your comment made me go
had to do a double read through like what now. :ROFLMAO:
morning coffee, all gone- spilt the bleedin lot hahahaha

Eh? I guess I should clarify... the reason they had to use those Russian cargo planes was simply because they were big enough to hold all of the HIStory tour set pieces and such. American cargo planes couldn't hold them, so they used the Russian ones. However, because the Russian models are so big, you need an extra-long runway to land them, and not many airports have those. The ones that due charge a landing fee for someone to use such a runway to land a plane of such a huge size.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I'll have to edit it to make it clear it was about size, not politics lol.
No it's fine @Amaya I appreciate your response. 🫶 💗

Off topic also, but @staywild23 You on summer vacation too? Lol
YES!!! I am so deeply on summer vacation, I haven't begun planning for my classes yet lol. But I return in 2 1/2 weeks and, by the grace of God, I will have something to teach Day 1!

That's because Branca and Bush have no charisma and are not really fame caliber. They are simply shunting themselves forward into the roles. The others there don't know them, and maybe don't even like em.
I find lack of charisma completely intolerable lol. If you are going to be in the public eye, for the love of God, grow a personality!

YES!!! I am so deeply on summer vacation, I haven't begun planning for my classes yet lol. But I return in 2 1/2 weeks and, by the grace of God, I will have something to teach Day 1!
Oh you're teaching the classes? I thought you was a student lol.

F29KPD2b0AEsSNx

This was nothing new to fans and I doubt non fans will have any interest in it. It all also seemed so forced and fake - especially Branca who is trying to sell the doc or whatever. He should really just keep doing what comes natural for him (making $$$ in the background).

I'm in awe of Bush's book there is such a good description of the creative process of making costumes. I especially liked how Michael taught them how to feel what he likes and what he wants from the design.

Back