"King Of Style" roundtable on Sunday, 08/06/23

I like how they show film footage from the Bad tour, the teasing is real 😩 .

The estate only builds you up to let you down😞 the only exception being Bad 25. It honestly feels like they just do these roundtables and documentaries to annoy fans with all the amazing concert footage that they will never release in full. The book The King of Style came out in 2012! Over a decade later they decide to do a round table?

To the estate I say I don't understand your ways.

[Bridge]
No more believin'
In every word you say
Persuasions deceiving
But I'm wise in every way
And I know 'bout your playin'
With every guy in town
So this time I'm sayin'
You won't fool me around

Ok I just watched it and I don't know about you guys but I loved it! Maybe it's just me and that I like that kinda of stuff but I really enjoyed it a lot! If there would be another one of those roundtables, then count me in cause I really love it!

It was fluff to me. I am not sure what the plan is for future episodes but they really barely grazed the surface of Michael's influence in fashion and it some ways the whole thing felt a bit contrived, even down to the fake, overdubbed crowd applause. They rushed through eras and didn't seem to make any points that the average person wouldn't know. I'd buy a copy of King of Style if it is re-released and I will watch the next episode, but I am giving episode one a 5/10. The host chick is a bit insufferable too.

This didn't do anything for me, sadly. I appreciate that for some people it might be new info but not for me. That said, I wouldn't have minded that if it was just a better programme. The editing was really weird. Was it edited down from a longer piece, I wonder? Bc 23 mins run time seemed a bit peculiar. Why not just do 30 mins? The basic concept wasn't really clear. It all felt a bit incoherent to me. Random statements were made that made no sense. Michael as a trailblazer for wearing a plain white t-shirt? That has been a fashion staple since forever. Michael rocks a white t-shirt really well but it's not innovative or particularly influential.

If Michael Bush's KoS book is going to be reprinted that's great bc I don't have a copy. But this was a very odd little video. I guess I would watch another episode although I can't really see where they can go next.

This didn't do anything for me, sadly. I appreciate that for some people it might be new info but not for me. That said, I wouldn't have minded that if it was just a better programme. The editing was really weird. Was it edited down from a longer piece, I wonder? Bc 23 mins run time seemed a bit peculiar. Why not just do 30 mins? The basic concept wasn't really clear. It all felt a bit incoherent to me. Random statements were made that made no sense. Michael as a trailblazer for wearing a plain white t-shirt? That has been a fashion staple since forever. Michael rocks a white t-shirt really well but it's not innovative or particularly influential.

If Michael Bush's KoS book is going to be reprinted that's great bc I don't have a copy. But this was a very odd little video. I guess I would watch another episode although I can't really see where they can go next.

Haha yeah some parts of it were frankly embarrassing. They just seemed to grasp randomly at different items of clothing he wore and try to make false equivalences. 'Oh, the white shirt... you see white shirts now at job interviews". What are they going to say Michael redefined job interviews now? Michael did a lot of stuff, but I don't think he had a noted impact in the area of job interviews. Then there was the "oh when I want to feel bad, I wear a black leather jacket, right". And so did James Dean 20 years earlier. According to these people Michael invented rhinestones.

It was an incredibly random slap together production that didn't explore the topic at any depth or with any real nuance. The only message I can take away is yes, Michael was quite adventurous with his attire and at some points, some people chose to emulate some of the choices he made. I am sure much more can be said for Michael and his iconic styles but none of it to be found in that 20 minutes of pure rot.

Michael as a trailblazer for wearing a plain white t-shirt? That has been a fashion staple since forever. Michael rocks a white t-shirt really well but it's not innovative or particularly influential.
33646-1552476183.jpg

oh my god, so bold and innovative 😲😲😱😱😩😩 !!

lmao. but seriously, are we honestly surprised that this new video from the estate is really lackluster?? i'm not. and honestly, now I don't really care to watch it.

he is gorgeous in a white tee though. it's just... the epitome of natural masculinity that i always wish to have.

Haha yeah some parts of it were frankly embarrassing. They just seemed to grasp randomly at different items of clothing he wore and try to make false equivalences. 'Oh, the white shirt... you see white shirts now at job interviews".
That bit truly did my head in! wth? Look, I love Michael as a style icon as much as the next person and he absolutely has influenced fashion designers. But let's not talk nonsense. It doesn't do Michael any favours to make crazy comments like that.

What are they going to say Michael redefined job interviews now?
Apparently so, lol.

Michael did a lot of stuff, but I don't think he had a noted impact in the area of job interviews. Then there was the "oh when I want to feel bad, I wear a black leather jacket, right".
That bit was even worse. Black biker jackets / leather jackets have been iconic since at least the 1950's. At least. James Dean. Marlon Brando. Peter Fonda in the 60's. I'm not expecting the roundtable to be a history lesson but, again, let's not invent wild tales that don't actually mean anything.

And so did James Dean 20 years earlier. According to these people Michael invented rhinestones.
oh god, the rhinestone bit. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

It was an incredibly random slap together production that didn't explore the topic at any depth or with any real nuance.
This was my main beef. It was too random, too incoherent, no depth and no real shape or direction. Forget nuance, just a hint of a direction would have been fine.

The only message I can take away is yes, Michael was quite adventurous with his attire and at some points, some people chose to emulate some of the choices he made. I am sure much more can be said for Michael and his iconic styles but none of it to be found in that 20 minutes of pure rot.
I agree with all of this and a good episode can certainly be built around all of your comments. It was sadly lacking here, though.

Last edited:
33646-1552476183.jpg

oh my god, so bold and innovative 😲😲😱😱😩😩 !!

lmao. but seriously, are we honestly surprised that this new video from the estate is really lackluster?? i'm not. and honestly, now I don't really care to watch it.

he is gorgeous in a white tee though. it's just... the epitome of natural masculinity that i always wish to have.
Definitely not arguing about how good Michael looks in a white t-shirt. But that's as far as it goes. :)

At the very least they could've done an episode on each era...
Exactly. If they had done a fast (but coherent) intro episode, making it clear that separate episodes for each era would follow, that would make some kind of sense. But it was all so jumbled, so badly edited ...

I'm really glad some people enjoyed it but, for myself, it was just ... gah!

The era concept is fan baloney.

Branca didn't even get the correct Fred Astaire film I don't think. Smooth Criminal came from The Band Wagon.

In fact, I think he might have named an Elvis movie title!
Yeah, I didn't catch the name he used but it def wasn't Band Wagon. Not the end of the world, maybe, but odd to make such a basic mistake. I personally think there may well be other influences in SC. I can see a bit of Guys and Dolls, for example. But it seems to be pretty well established that Band Wagon is the main (perhaps only?) influence. It just adds to the feeling that this roundtable was flung together madly quickly with not much thought.

3 minutes in and what has struck me already is that they used the 4K Billie Jean Munich footage, with the cool back angle during the moonwalk, which leaked last year.

Now they can’t say they restored it and never used it, right? :/

Edit: And one minute later, they use footage from the same show, but in significantly lower quality, and with the ZDF logo. Huh?

3 minutes in and what has struck me already is that they used the 4K Billie Jean Munich footage, with the cool back angle during the moonwalk, which leaked last year.

Now they can’t say they restored it and never used it, right? :/

Edit: And one minute later, they use footage from the same show, but in significantly lower quality, and with the ZDF logo. Huh?
This struck me as well, what is going on here? If they have the full show in 4K why bother with the ZDF source?

The fact they completely ignored the Dangerous era (as in not even talk about Dangerous) and referred to it as the grunge era
I noticed that. It confused me and annoyed me. They are basically doing a bang up job with this thing, lol.

The fact that they used youtube footage blows me. I even saw a logo at the bottom of one while smooth criminal was playing. & branca kept talking about other artist & the fact that he said it's a shot in t40 doc of bts & mj doing the same moves like.... WTF DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THRILLER!? Why so many talking heads in the doc? We get he inspired alot of ppl but I would do anything for branca to leave the estate. I feel like he has it out for Michael because he was fired. This entire thing was pointless af...I get more info from mjcast than I ever will the estate. The 4k quality on the videos makes it look like this was streamed live. The fact that they used that leaked footage got me 2 & the woman's acting was so cheesy... like.... you ain't all that shocked 😒

Back