KJ vs AEG Trial outcome : Possible Appeal [closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: KJ vs AEG Trial outcome : Appeal

I have to say, Putnam's statement to NYDN is just as well worded as the estate's letter to CM.

"It is tragic that plaintiffs refuse to accept the jury's verdict and move on from this baseless lawsuit"

"As the world knows, Michael Jackson provided handsomely for his children and his mother in his will. Clearly this lawsuit was not originally brought-nor is it now being done-to meet their needs."

Doesn't get any more clearer than that.

"It is time to let these children move on from this tragedy so they can properly recover from the loss of their father."

Good advice from Putnam, but kids loss has never been important to "family". Other matters goes before PPB.

"Taxpayers have already spent a fortune paying for the judicial resources for a five month jury trial so that Katherine Jackson could bring this lawsuit and try to get more money"

I have to say, Putnam's statement to NYDN is just as well worded as the estate's letter to CM.

"It is tragic that plaintiffs refuse to accept the jury's verdict and move on from this baseless lawsuit"

"As the world knows, Michael Jackson provided handsomely for his children and his mother in his will. Clearly this lawsuit was not originally brought-nor is it now being done-to meet their needs."

"It is time to let these children move on from this tragedy so they can properly recover from the loss of their father."

Good advice from Putnam, but kids loss has never been important to "family". Other matters goes before PPB.

"Taxpayers have already spent a fortune paying for the judicial resources for a five month jury trial so that Katherine Jackson could bring this lawsuit and try to get more money"

It is sad that the lawyers seems to get it more than the family. With billions on the line, I guess it was too much to think that they would just let it go. I wonder what this 'new' evidence is. Knowing the Jacksons, it really could be nothing.

^^

As I said before as this was a multi billion dollar lawsuit, appeals -from both sides regardless who won or lost -were expected. AEG wouldn't have paid it without a fight and Katherine will not walk away from it without a fight.

Hopefully soon we will learn the details of their claims.

Very well said. This is the mother of all desperation.

it's not surprising especially coming from a family who till today refuses to work for a salary like hundreds of millions of world citizens.

it's not surprising especially coming from a family who till today refuses to work for a salary like hundreds of millions of world citizens.

Except they've been touring and running their own businesses for years. Unfortunately you choose to ignore that.

I hope there is a new trial.

There isn't going to be end of their desperate attempts to get money, one way or the other. Whether there is going to be new trial or not, and if "family" ends up with empty handed, they'll just go back to pestering the estate, and when they tells them to f..k off, they move on to PPB, if not already stealing their monies.
That is the only business certain "family" members are running.

Last edited:

To bring Murray in would be ridiculous in my opinion.
He is a proven liar and a convicted criminal... wheeew that's what I call credibility... NOT!

To bring Murray in would be ridiculous in my opinion.

I agree. If I remember correctly, they released a statement which was told to the media by their lawyer just last week calling Murray a coward for doing those interviews. It would be wishy-washy of them to want him to help them now, in my opinion.

Except they've been touring and running their own businesses for years. Unfortunately you choose to ignore that.

You mean they have been begging MJ to tour for years and had many failed business ventures that drained MJ money till he went broke. KJ in 2009 was living in a house with no water or electricity, a house so packed with all the kids of her deadbeat sons and was deteriorating due to lack of care. "Unfortunately you choose to ignore that.."

you can only hope they get a new trial because the truth is they won't. they simply don't have a case. Meanwhile Murray, MJ real killer, is dragging him through the mud while laughing all the way to the bank.

tumblr_min1azEQq71r116s7o1_400.gif
tumblr_mdxt67va7v1qh7ov5o2_r1_250.gif
*big sigh*

You mean they have been begging MJ to tour for years and had many failed business ventures that drained MJ money till he went broke. KJ in 2009 was living in a house with no water or electricity, a house so packed with all the kids of her deadbeat sons and was deteriorating due to lack of care. "Unfortunately you choose to ignore that."

you can only hope they get a new trial because the truth is they won't. they simply don't have a case. Meanwhile Murray, MJ real killer, is dragging him through the mud while laughing all the way to the bank.

This deserves repeating. Truth!

Yep the wont get another re trial that for sure

Except they've been touring and running their own businesses for years. Unfortunately you you choose to ignore that.

They were forced to go back on tour because the MJ Estate cut them off and the only business they have been running for years is monkey business. Selling MJ out to the tabloids and blackmailing him to pay their bills is no business they should be praised for.

I don't understand the motion.

I thought they couldn't present new evidence.

5. Insufficiency of evidence to justify the verdict.
Does this mean that AEG didn't present enough evidence to support Conrad could perform his duties?

6. The verdict is against the law.
Is this because of #5 or does it mean something else?

^^

This is not an appeal - yet. This is a motion they filed for Judge Panzuelos. They are asking her for a retrial. If she says no - which she probably will - they will take it to an appeal.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'll add related law shortly

vCODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION 656-663.2

656. A new trial is a re-examination of an issue of fact in the same court after a trial and decision by a jury, court, or referee.

657. The verdict may be vacated and any other decision may be modified or vacated, in whole or in part, and a new or further trial
granted on all or part of the issues, on the application of the party aggrieved, for any of the following causes, materially affecting the
substantial rights of such party:
1. Irregularity in the proceedings of the court, jury or adverse party, or any order of the court or abuse of discretion by which
either party was prevented from having a fair trial.
2. Misconduct of the jury; and whenever any one or more of the jurors have been induced to assent to any general or special verdict,
or to a finding on any question submitted to them by the court, by a resort to the determination of chance, such misconduct may be proved
by the affidavit of any one of the jurors.
3. Accident or surprise, which ordinary prudence could not have guarded against.
4. Newly discovered evidence, material for the party making the application, which he could not, with reasonable diligence, have
discovered and produced at the trial.
5. Excessive or inadequate damages.
6. Insufficiency of the evidence to justify the verdict or other decision, or the verdict or other decision is against law.
7. Error in law, occurring at the trial and excepted to by the party making the application.

When a new trial is granted, on all or part of the issues, the court shall specify the ground or grounds upon which it is granted
and the court's reason or reasons for granting the new trial upon each ground stated.

A new trial shall not be granted upon the ground of insufficiency of the evidence to justify the verdict or other decision, nor upon
the ground of excessive or inadequate damages, unless after weighing the evidence the court is convinced from the entire record, including
reasonable inferences therefrom, that the court or jury clearly should have reached a different verdict or decision.

The order passing upon and determining the motion must be made and entered as provided in Section 660 and if the motion is granted must
state the ground or grounds relied upon by the court, and may contain the specification of reasons. If an order granting such motion does not contain such specification of reasons, the court must, within 10 days after filing such order, prepare, sign and file
such specification of reasons in writing with the clerk. The court shall not direct the attorney for a party to prepare either or both
said order and said specification of reasons.

On appeal from an order granting a new trial the order shall be affirmed if it should have been granted upon any ground stated in the
motion, whether or not specified in the order or specification of reasons, except that (a) the order shall not be affirmed upon the
ground of the insufficiency of the evidence to justify the verdict or other decision, or upon the ground of excessive or inadequate
damages, unless such ground is stated in the order granting the motion and (b) on appeal from an order granting a new trial upon the
ground of the insufficiency of the evidence to justify the verdict or other decision, or upon the ground of excessive or inadequate
damages, it shall be conclusively presumed that said order as to such ground was made only for the reasons specified in said order or said
specification of reasons, and such order shall be reversed as to such ground only if there is no substantial basis in the record for
any of such reasons.

657.1. A new trial may also be granted as provided in Section 914 of this code.

658. When the application is made for a cause mentioned in the first, second, third and fourth subdivisions of Section 657, it must
be made upon affidavits; otherwise it must be made on the minutes of the court.

659. (a) The party intending to move for a new trial shall file with the clerk and serve upon each adverse party a notice of his or
her intention to move for a new trial, designating the grounds upon which the motion will be made and whether the same will be made upon
affidavits or the minutes of the court, or both, either:
(1) After the decision is rendered and before the entry of judgment.
(2) Within 15 days of the date of mailing notice of entry of judgment by the clerk of the court pursuant to Section 664.5, or service upon him or her by any party of written notice of entry of judgment, or within 180 days after the entry of judgment, whichever
is earliest; provided, that upon the filing of the first notice of intention to move for a new trial by a party, each other party shall
have 15 days after the service of that notice upon him or her to file and serve a notice of intention to move for a new trial.
(b) That notice of intention to move for a new trial shall be deemed to be a motion for a new trial on all the grounds stated in
the notice. The times specified in paragraphs (1) and (2) of subdivision (a) shall not be extended by order or stipulation or by
those provisions of Section 1013 that extend the time for exercising
a right or doing an act where service is by mail.

659a. Within 10 days of filing the notice, the moving party shall serve upon all other parties and file any affidavits intended to be
used upon such motion. Such other parties shall have ten days after such service within which to serve upon the moving party and file
counter-affidavits.
The time herein specified may, for good cause shown by affidavit or by written stipulation of the parties, be
extended by any judge for an additional period of not exceeding 20 days.

661. The motion for a new trial shall be heard and determined by the judge who presided at the trial; provided, however, that in case
of the inability of such judge or if at the time noticed for hearing thereon he is absent from the county where the trial was had, the
same shall be heard and determined by any other judge of the same court. Upon the expiration of the time to file counter affidavits the
clerk forthwith shall call the motion to the attention of the judge who presided at the trial, or the judge acting in his place, as the
case may be, and such judge thereupon shall designate the time for oral argument, if any, to be had on said motion. Five (5) days'
notice by mail shall be given of such oral argument, if any, by the clerk to the respective parties. Such motion, if heard by a judge
other than the trial judge shall be argued orally or shall be submitted without oral argument, as the judge may direct, not later
than ten (10) days before the expiration of the time within which the court has power to pass on the same.

662. In ruling on such motion, in a cause tried without a jury, the court may, on such terms as may be just, change or add to the
statement of decision, modify the judgment, in whole or in part, vacate the judgment, in whole or in part, and grant a new trial on
all or part of the issues, or, in lieu of granting a new trial, may vacate and set aside the statement of decision and judgment and
reopen the case for further proceedings and the introduction of additional evidence with the same effect as if the case had been
reopened after the submission thereof and before a decision had been filed or judgment rendered. Any judgment thereafter entered shall be
subject to the provisions of sections 657 and 659.

all they have is what one juror said on this board AFTER the jury reached a verdict. Pure desperation.
Not true. I spoke with one of plaintiffs' attorneys a week or so after the verdict, and I was told that they had already spoken to most of the other jurors.

In this same conversation I was also told that a few jurors had expressed dissatisfaction with the verdict, but I already knew that and knew exactly which jurors they were talking about. Jury "misconduct" though? Please. I am *dying* to hear the details of this so-called misconduct.

Kingofpop4ever3000;3935891 said:
I agree. If I remember correctly, they released a statement which was told to the media by their lawyer just last week calling Murray a coward for doing those interviews. It would be wishy-washy of them to want him to help them now, in my opinion.

"Family" is as wishy-washy as they come. When CM was sentenced, KJ said 4 years is not enough, and then refused restitution.
Then "family" filed lawsuit against AEG, and wanted so badly money off from AEG that KJ was ready and willing to help CM with his appeal if he testifies against AEG.

This is what KJ's lawyer said after CM's release:
--------------
Katherine Jackson’s lawyer Brian Panish said Friday that Michael’s "heartbroken" mom feels Murray should continue to pay for her son’s death after his Monday release.

“There’s no question that Dr. Murray is the one who killed Michael, and we hope he’ll never practice medicine again so he can’t harm anyone else in the future,” Panish told The News.
---------

I find it completely insane that in the media they talk how CM killed Michael and his punishment wasn't hard enough, but actions speaks otherwise. They refuse restitution in order to get money off AEG, they wanted to help CM if he testifies against AEG.

One more thing, have you noticed that they have not called out CM's lies after his released. You want to know why? Because they cannot publicly call him liar in case they get CM to lie for their side. How would it look like if they call CM liar and then calls him to testify for them, AEG lawyers would be all over that.

My take:
Misconduct of the jury - yes they were behaving very badly because they didn't award "family" with billions.

Accident or surprise - it was surprise to "family that they didn't get billions

Newly discovered evidence - What! Have "family got more family members who wants to testify how MJ was drug addict and couldn't see straight?

Insufficiency of the evidence to justify the verdict - Of course :smilerolleyes:

The verdict is against the law - they meant to write it is against Jackson "family" law.

Error in law occurring at trial and expected to by plaintiffs - that sentence doesn't make any sense to me so I cannot comment:)

LOL! Oh, I'm sure the Jackson's feel the verdict was a crime. Billions from AEG would have meant they never had to worry about work again. :piggybank:

Not true. I spoke with one of plaintiffs' attorneys a week or so after the verdict, and I was told that they had already spoken to most of the other jurors.

In this same conversation I was also told that a few jurors had expressed dissatisfaction with the verdict, but I already knew that and knew exactly which jurors they were talking about. Jury "misconduct" though? Please. I am *dying* to hear the details of this so-called misconduct.

Yes, me too.

Curious to see what type of Juror misconduct they are claiming occurred -- concealment of information during voir dire; juror bias; outside information which influenced the verdict; 3rd party contact? I've been in criminal for a while now and have seen only one verdict overturned here due to juror misconduct. It was pretty extreme (a biased juror who withheld info during voir dire influenced deliberations).

"Dissatisfaction" though in high profile cases where the media or public attacks jurors for their verdict is common. I don't envy the position you were in at all. Everyone's got an opinion but they weren't sitting in the courtroom for months and weren't part of actual deliberations. Heh, I'm not thrilled when we lose a trial but I always respect the jury's verdict. We often hear jurors say they are dissatisfied because they did think the defendant was guilty and wanted to convict but the evidence just wasn't enough to do so.

Last edited:

Meaning what by dissatisfied. i cant renember the vote was it a majority ?

I wonder does the jury still think Katherine is some sweet old lady being misled?

Yes, me too.

Curious to see what type of Juror misconduct they are claiming occurred -- concealment of information during voir dire; juror bias; outside information which influenced the verdict; 3rd party contact? I've been in criminal for a while now and have seen only one verdict overturned here due to juror misconduct. It was pretty extreme (a biased juror who withheld info during voir dire influenced deliberations).

"Dissatisfaction" though in high profile cases where the media or public attacks jurors for their verdict is common. I don't envy the position you were in at all. Everyone's got an opinion but they weren't sitting in the courtroom for months and weren't part of actual deliberations. Heh, I'm not thrilled when we lose a trial but I always respect the jury's verdict. We often hear jurors say they are dissatisfied because they did think the defendant was guilty and wanted to convict but the evidence just wasn't enough to do so.
Thanks for that insight, krikzil.

I'm fine with dissatisfaction or even anger with our verdict. It was a given that regardless of the verdict there were going to be people who were dissatisfied and angry about it. That's OK. But I am not OK with accusations of misconduct. It's a slap in our faces and pretty insulting, frankly. And if they are pursuing this avenue because a few jurors either said that misconduct occurred or implied it heavily, I would be supremely disappointed in those jurors. There was a lot of contention in the deliberation room between a few jurors and our foreman and I sincerely hope that is not being twisted into 'misconduct'. I didn't particularly like our foreman and I didn't like how he handled deliberations, but I will stand behind him 100% against any claim of misconduct on his part (or anyone else's, for that matter). Everyone was able to speak their mind at any time, everyone was free to present any evidence they thought relevant, and no one was silenced or shut out of discussions.

I wonder does the jury still think Katherine is some sweet old lady being misled?
I don't know about the others, but I do still think she is a sweet lady. I think she is wrong to pursue this appeal, and I would not be surprised to find that she is under pressure from various parties (lawyers, family, etc.) to do so. I have a hard time believing she came up with this jury misconduct angle on her own. And even if there was no outside pressure, I would still think she is a sweet lady who is in the wrong and being stubborn.

01/03/2014 at 08:45 am in department 28 at 111 North Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Motion for New Trial

Thanks for that insight, krikzil.

I'm fine with dissatisfaction or even anger with our verdict. It was a given that regardless of the verdict there were going to be people who were dissatisfied and angry about it. That's OK. But I am not OK with accusations of misconduct. It's a slap in our faces and pretty insulting, frankly. And if they are pursuing this avenue because a few jurors either said that misconduct occurred or implied it heavily, I would be supremely disappointed in those jurors. There was a lot of contention in the deliberation room between a few jurors and our foreman and I sincerely hope that is not being twisted into 'misconduct'. I didn't particularly like our foreman and I didn't like how he handled deliberations, but I will stand behind him 100% against any claim of misconduct on his part (or anyone else's, for that matter). Everyone was able to speak their mind at any time, everyone was free to present any evidence they thought relevant, and no one was silenced or shut out of discussions.

Thanks. It's interesting to know how things went down.

I understand your dismay. I sure hope the dissatisfaction of some jurors didn't lead them to accuse other jurors. The Judge though has discretion to conduct an evidentiary hearing where each juror would be questioned to settle the matter.

01/03/2014 at 08:45 am in department 28 at 111 North Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Motion for New Trial

Is this motion for new trial alternative to an appeal? If judge denies new trial, then they appeal?

Is this motion for new trial alternative to an appeal? If judge denies new trial, then they appeal?

yes. as far as I can understand / know, they are asking Judge Panzuelos for a retrial. After their notice of intent they have 10 days to file their motion, AEG has 10 days to respond. The court needs to hear it as soon as possible which looks like will be January 3rd. Then she will make a decision. I would imagine allowing a retrial to happen would be a small possibility and then we will see appeals. Jacksons appealing the verdict if the Judge Panzuelos denies their motion of a new trial and AEG appealing if she allows it.

yes. as far as I can understand / know, they are asking Judge Panzuelos for a retrial. After their notice of intent they have 10 days to file their motion, AEG has 10 days to respond. The court needs to hear it as soon as possible which looks like will be January 3rd. Then she will make a decision. I would imagine allowing a retrial to happen would be a small possibility and then we will see appeals. Jacksons appealing the verdict if the Judge Panzuelos denies their motion of a new trial and AEG appealing if she allows it.

It seems with Michael that he is destine to spend his death trap in a courtroom. I know the likely hood of an appeal is low, but it still upsets me that KJ wants to drag through her son through the mud again because some people are too lazy to work for their own money. This entire thing is a tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back