KJ vs AEG Trial outcome : Possible Appeal [closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: KJ vs AEG Trial outcome : Appeal

Hiring Murray was the negligence charge. How can you separate them? It is not like it was AEG given Michael drugs or telling Michael he must take drugs. Sorry, putting pressure and being mean to someone is not a cause of negligence, especially when it was someone else who killed someone.

To me, it sounds like these people got a a lot of flank for calling Murray competent after he killed Michael and they want to say, 'well, it said at the time not at all times. If it was all time, he would have been guilty', which goes straight into hindsight.

Seriously, what 'red flag' was there that Murray was incompetent other than him being in debt? If he was incompetent at the time of hiring, it is more Michael's fault than AEG since he insisted on him. Saying that Murray was obviously incompetent at the time he was hired is really saying that Michael was an idiot who should have known better.

Furthermore people including Jackson lawyers are forgetting that Michael did not die because of Propofol, he died because Murray did not properly monitor him. So even if AEG knew or should have known Murray "offered unlimited supply of prescription drugs" (as it is said in the motion) how would they know that Murray would provide that improperly?

Hopefully there will be a retrial with a new jury where they can examine all the evidence and consider AEG's negligence as separate to the hiring of CM.

If there is a new trial, they need to look more closely at "Dr" Lee.

From reading the jurors' claims, they wanted to discuss and vote on "negligent supervision and retention" but could not, so this seems to be the key point: that the questionnaire was constructed so that they had to stop at Q2 unless they got a YES answer--there was no way to go forward if they said NO.

So maybe Ivy can comment on this--why the questionnaire was set up that way? :)

To try and answer my own question--maybe b/c once a company hires someone to do a job that they are competent and fit to do but then down the road they commit a crime, the company is not liable b/c there were no 'red flags' at the time of hiring that this was foreseeable?

So why did the judge go beyong negligent hiring, into the area of supervision? And what is the 'retention' issue? Does this mean AEG should have fired CM?

Last edited:

The plaintiffs' lawyers have always maintained that a compromised doctor is unfit and incompetent because a compromised doctor does not put the patient first. Hindsight logic is AEG knowing or should have known about ANY treatment the doctor gave. AEG did NOT need to know about any treatment the doctor gave as that is doctor-patient confidentiality. However, Gongaware was privy to how doctors did behave unethically with Michael on tour.

Hiring the doctor and having that doctor beholden to AEG and NOT the patient means Michael is not first, the doctor is compromised, the doctor has conflicted interest, and therefore, the doctor is unfit and incompetent.

I must say the motion is a compelling read! The factual background was an excellent summary of the events. I was unaware that question one may have been an error as well and may not have been necessary for the verdict form. The motion also clearly explains the legal differences between negligent hiring and negligent retention or supervision. It also details why a separate negligence claim was necessary but, may have been erroneously denied.

I believe the chances for success may be higher than the previously discussed 20% or so for this particular trial.

I wonder would it be better to have a new trial or to have an appeal?

Last edited:

I think it's hard to accept when something a person has invested a lot of time and energy into ends so abruptly, it must leave a person with a feeling of emptiness. Perhaps it's one reason why juror 27 decided to come and chat with us. I am a little pissed at these 4 jurors, they should have done the job at the time and perhaps discuss the case rather than watch TII (yes I know that's harsh for me to say - but I am frustrated). If they were dissatisfied they could have spoken up prior to the judge reading the verdict out. If this motion is argued I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when questioned by AEG lawyers.

Last edited:

I was unaware that question one may have been an error as well and may not have been necessary for the verdict form.

of course you would believe and accept everything Jackson lawyers say so there's no surprise there. From an alternative perspective, you can see that the first question made sense as there were 3 parties and a unsigned written contract was involved.

I'll explain further: normally in negligent hiring there would be an employee who is working for the company that does something - such as a delivery guy with a history of violence that punches a customer during a delivery. As you can see in that instance there's no question of if that delivery guy is employed by the company. Majority of the negligent hiring cases would be simpler in nature of employment relationship so there would be no need for Q1 in such instances.

However in this instance, there are 3 parties involved. Doctor being hired for Michael by his request and being paid with his money. A contract that is between AEG and Murray and a contract that needed 3 all 3 parties signatures but only had one signature on it. So it brought the question of if Murray was hired (oral agreement, written agreement) and who hired him. Obviously Jacksons wanted that question not to be on the verdict form because the jury might have returned with Murray wasn't hired as the contract wasn't signed or Murray was hired by Michael decisions. We all know that Jackson lawyers preferred that the jury went into the deliberations with the assumption that Murray was hired by AEG and was an employee. However as the judge pointed out Murray's employment wasn't that clear cut and if he was hired and who hired him was the questions for the jury and that justifies Q1.

I believe the chances for success may be higher than the previously discussed 20% or so for this particular trial.

You know 20% is an average right? That means for every 2 cases an appeal is granted there are 8 others that the appeal is denied. This might be very well the case that the appeal is granted but it doesn't change the fact that the odds are against them. It's a uphill battle.

This new trial motion would be another uphill battle too IMO. It's not just that they need to convince the judge that there was an error but they need to convince the judge that the errors were so significant that they definitely altered the outcome. Assuming AEG is also contacting the jurors for their set of counter affidavits , it might not be easy to prove for Jacksons. For example what if AEG comes with 8 affidavits that says their vote wouldn't have changed if "at any time" was added to the question? I always state that we need to wait for the other side's counter argument before trying to guess who might be successful in their requests.

I think it's hard to accept when something a person has invested a lot of time and energy into ends so abruptly, it must leave a person with a feeling of emptiness. Perhaps it's one reason why juror 27 decided to come and chat with us. I am a little pissed at these 4 jurors, they should have done the job at the time and perhaps discuss the case rather than watch TII (yes I know that's harsh for me to say - but I am frustrated). If they were dissatisfied they could have spoken up prior to the judge reading the verdict out. If this motion is argued I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when questioned by AEG lawyers.

I was talking about this yesterday. I believe in every trial there would be some sort of unhappiness or doubt or regret for the jurors. In our daily lives we make decisions that include our emotions. For example someone can read that "freak" comment on an email and might want to see that person punished for it. But jurors are supposed to make decisions by putting their feelings aside and following a strict set of rules and directions. So I'm not that surprised to see that there are some jurors who might feel unhappy with the outcome. There have been many instances of high profile cases that the jurors made statements that they wanted to vote a certain way but following the law, rules didn't allow them to vote the way they wanted (such as Zimmerman case as a very recent example).

On the other hand I can't really imagine how the remaining 8 jurors feel. They also put months into this trial, assuming they are content with their verdict they are probably not happy with these claims of misconduct and mistaken verdict claims. Even worse at least some of them (mainly the foreman and whomever it was that mentioned Q2 meant at the time of hiring) are being especially getting blamed. It is probably a frustrating thing for everyone involved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also now that we have the affidavits can we comment on the original CNN story?

"The jurors, whose sworn statements were attached to a motion for a new trial filed Thursday by Katherine Jackson's lawyers, said most of the jury wanted to find concert promoter AEG Live liable in Jackson's 2009 death."

I'm curious about how CNN came to the conclusion that "most of the jury" wanted to find AEG Live liable. When you read the affidavits you see first two ones say they wanted to find AEG liable. I'm going to make an assumption here and say those two are the ones who voted "yes" to Q2. The third juror says most believed there was an ethical conflict - which doesn't mean the jury would find AEG liable. For example Foreman during his interviews pointed out the ethical issues but also how he believed AEG could not know. The last affidavit says some jurors were unhappy with the verdict. So I don't get how CNN came to to conclusion that most of the jury wanted to find AEG Live liable.

Also realize item 6 on juror affidavit 1 and item 4 on the juror affidavit 2 are the same? So did the two jurors came up with the exact statements or was there lawyer involvement/guidance in these statements?

Yes. Sloppy reporting from CNN or we'd have 12 affidavits, not just 4.

And it also doesn't follow that even if all of the jurors wanted to find AEG liable, that they would have in the end. Any one of the following questions could have stopped things once again. I agree with Ivy above about jurors' emotions after a trial. Quite often in criminal trials a jury will say they did feel the defendant was in fact guilty but they couldn't convict based on the evidence presented at trial and it bothers them. No one wants to let a potentially guilty person go free just as it's quite understandable that folks find some of AEG's actions to be distasteful and also feel bad for KJ and the kids' loss.

I'm curious about how CNN came to the conclusion that "most of the jury" wanted to find AEG Live liable.

It should't be hard to figure out. Alan Duke is pro-jacksons. that is precisely why i don't even bother reading the CNN articles as they relate to this case. They show extreme bias.

To be fair to those jurors, we didn't watch TII until we had already reached the verdict.

It should't be hard to figure out. Alan Duke is pro-jacksons. that is precisely why i don't even bother reading the CNN articles as they relate to this case. They show extreme bias.

exactly.

I was talking about this yesterday. I believe in every trial there would be some sort of unhappiness or doubt or regret for the jurors. In our daily lives we make decisions that include our emotions. For example someone can read that "freak" comment on an email and might want to see that person punished for it. But jurors are supposed to make decisions by putting their feelings aside and following a strict set of rules and directions. So I'm not that surprised to see that there are some jurors who might feel unhappy with the outcome. There have been many instances of high profile cases that the jurors made statements that they wanted to vote a certain way but following the law, rules didn't allow them to vote the way they wanted (such as Zimmerman case as a very recent example).

On the other hand I can't really imagine how the remaining 8 jurors feel. They also put months into this trial, assuming they are content with their verdict they are probably not happy with these claims of misconduct and mistaken verdict claims. Even worse at least some of them (mainly the foreman and whomever it was that mentioned Q2 meant at the time of hiring) are being especially getting blamed. It is probably a frustrating thing for everyone involved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also now that we have the affidavits can we comment on the original CNN story?

"The jurors, whose sworn statements were attached to a motion for a new trial filed Thursday by Katherine Jackson's lawyers, said most of the jury wanted to find concert promoter AEG Live liable in Jackson's 2009 death."

I'm curious about how CNN came to the conclusion that "most of the jury" wanted to find AEG Live liable. When you read the affidavits you see first two ones say they wanted to find AEG liable. I'm going to make an assumption here and say those two are the ones who voted "yes" to Q2. The third juror says most believed there was an ethical conflict - which doesn't mean the jury would find AEG liable. For example Foreman during his interviews pointed out the ethical issues but also how he believed AEG could not know. The last affidavit says some jurors were unhappy with the verdict. So I don't get how CNN came to to conclusion that most of the jury wanted to find AEG Live liable.

Also realize item 6 on juror affidavit 1 and item 4 on the juror affidavit 2 are the same? So did the two jurors came up with the exact statements or was there lawyer involvement/guidance in these statements?

Yes we have certainly seen it happen before, and to an extent its understandable when they have listened and stored so much information some people need to mull it over with others in order to switch it off in their minds. But I do maintain that if they felt that strongly then they had the opportunity at the time. Are all jurors free to send a message to the judge or do they have to do it collectively?

i noticed the same wording on two of the affidavits, it certainly made me wonder if they have been discussing it between themselves.

Alan Duke, yes we are not surprised are we? Totally biased journalism at its best. Smdh

To be fair to those jurors, we didn't watch TII until we had already reached the verdict.

Ok thanks, I was aware I was making a harsh statement, it was borne out of frustration I'm afraid, we as a fan base have been arguing theses issues for such a long time now and I was hoping we would be able to move on now.

Can I ask, was the viewing of TII after the court was aware you had reached your verdict? I'm only interested whether these jurors had 'cooling off' time to think before the verdict was set in stone.

At the risk of being a broken record it's still clear cut to me, AEG hired Murray and he was competent for the work he was hired, general medical care. I still feel that in order for AEG to be liable the Plantiffs would have to show that AEG knew of the extraordinary medical treatment he was administering - and that he would put Michael in danger by leaving him unattended.

I think it's right that AEG have been shown up by their conduct but I don't feel they should be liable for a decision made between a doctor and patient, unless they were aware and encouraged it.

Edit. Ivy what happens next? If the court considers it do they hear from all the lawyers and maybe call the jurors to the stand?

At the risk of being a broken record it's still clear cut to me, AEG hired Murray and he was competent for the work he was hired, general medical care. I still feel that in order for AEG to be liable the Plantiffs would have to show that AEG knew of the extraordinary medical treatment he was administering - and that he would put Michael in danger by leaving him unattended.

I think it's right that AEG have been shown up by their conduct but I don't feel they should be liable for a decision made between a doctor and patient, unless they were aware and encouraged it.

The bold made me grin. We DO like to go round and round. ;)

^^^^^ Lol, certainly myself and one other have danced this dance many times!

^^^^^ Lol, certainly myself and one other have danced this dance many times!

I look on MJ forums as a public service. I know my friends and family never want to hear "Michael Jackson", "Conrad Murray" or "AEG" ever again. I can't even get people at work to discuss this trial with me!! LOL

If the court considers it do they hear from all the lawyers and maybe call the jurors to the stand?

After hearing arguments, the Trial Judge does have the discretion to hold an Evidentiary Hearing if warranted where each juror is independently questioned.

Ok thanks, I was aware I was making a harsh statement, it was borne out of frustration I'm afraid, we as a fan base have been arguing theses issues for such a long time now and I was hoping we would be able to move on now.

Can I ask, was the viewing of TII after the court was aware you had reached your verdict? I'm only interested whether these jurors had 'cooling off' time to think before the verdict was set in stone.
I share your frustrations with these developments to say the least, LastTear. And no, we had not yet informed the court of our verdict when we decided to watch TII.

So I have been reading the additional 300+ pages added as the exhibits and some points from the hearings

- there's a brief discussion about BAJI (book of approved jury instructions) versus CACI (california civil jury instructions). Panish mentions BAJI separates hiring, supervision and retention. CACI is apparently (as I gathered from a google search) is the simple, every day language version of BAJI where as BAJI is the more detailed and legalese version of the instructions. Judge says she prefers CACI. Panish says I don't say pick BAJI, he's more focused on explaining it to the jury.

- there are extensive arguments supervision (as we knew from before). AEG argues supervision cannot happen without hiring first, Jacksons argue supervision can happen without hiring. This is one of the reasons why AEG was against separating hiring, supervision and retention and preferred CACI.

- on September 12, Boyle argue adding "at any time" to Q2. judge replies that the question wording isn't limiting it to the time of the hiring. Judge says they can argue it to the jury and jury can say yes to the question ( at the time of hiring or treatment time etc). Bina argues "at any time" can confuse the jurors to think of a time period that includes after MJ's death.

Thank you for reading all that Ivy. For me the 'at any time' would still come down to AEG knowing that Murray was far out stretching the medical treatment that he was hired for.

As far as supervising goes AEG would be damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

Since CM kept no medical records of what he did when, it's so much guess work as to what went on between him and MJ over the months prior to his death. I have read some doubts expressed about Lee--suggesting she is not what she claims in terms of credentials and that her testimony re MJ asking for propofol is not reliable (She and CM are the ones claiming MJ asked for it by name).

CM's claim that he gave MJ propofol for 6 weeks is also to me unreliable--what he was doing in that bedroom is unclear in terms of what drugs were given in what amts in what order. So it just makes this whole trial more of a mess when CM is the employee who AEG was supposed to supervise and even now no one knows--not AEG or anyone else--what he was doing on a nightly basis. Even the last night was a huge debate at his trial. SMH

I think the judge should have thrown the whole case out--and now she is reaping the rewards of letting it meander around so much for 6 long months (and we are too).

Since CM kept no medical records of what he did when, it's so much guess work as to what went on between him and MJ over the months prior to his death. I have read some doubts expressed about Lee--suggesting she is not what she claims in terms of credentials and that her testimony re MJ asking for propofol is not reliable (She and CM are the ones claiming MJ asked for it by name).

CM's claim that he gave MJ propofol for 6 weeks is also to me unreliable--what he was doing in that bedroom is unclear in terms of what drugs were given in what amts in what order. So it just makes this whole trial more of a mess when CM is the employee who AEG was supposed to supervise and even now no one knows--not AEG or anyone else--what he was doing on a nightly basis. Even the last night was a huge debate at his trial. SMH

I think the judge should have thrown the whole case out--and now she is reaping the rewards of letting it meander around so much for 6 long months (and we are too).

Thing is, Lee actually had medical records and notes, so she can back up what she is saying, while we only have Murray's word and the shipment of propfol to say what was going on during the last couple of months. There is a lot of guess work, which is why it is unrealistic to believe that AEG knew what was going on.

Most of the suspicion around Lee centers around her going to the media and some fans not wanting to believe Michael asked for propfol.

Thing is, Lee actually had medical records and notes, so she can back up what she is saying, while we only have Murray's word and the shipment of propfol to say what was going on during the last couple of months. There is a lot of guess work, which is why it is unrealistic to believe that AEG knew what was going on.

Most of the suspicion around Lee centers around her going to the media and some fans not wanting to believe Michael asked for propfol.

Idon't want to derail the thread but a fan (Vivian Marks) did research into Lee and her records and all the discrepancies in her various statements (even in court). She says the degrees Lee claims to have weren't even offered in the institutions at the time she claimed she got them.

It seems to me that one of the jurors is crying because they had to stop at that question, but she/he wanted to go on and debate a question after that point. It seems to me that some may have found the deliberations took such a short time compared to the length of the trial. However, how are these issues going to help a new trial, I do not know. How many more days AEG side has to respond? We will have a better debate once we can put both side's arguments side by side and compare them.

Idon't want to derail the thread but a fan (Vivian Marks) did research into Lee and her records and all the discrepancies in her various statements (even in court). She says the degrees Lee claims to have weren't even offered in the institutions at the time she claimed she got them.
Not surprised to hear that. Lee is in the same league as Raymond Baine, Tohme Tohme, and countless other charlatans whose sole objectives were to drain MJ of his wealth.

Not surprised to hear that. Lee is in the same league as Raymond Baine, Tohme Tohme, and countless other charlatans whose sole objectives were to drain MJ of his wealth.

How was she draining his wealth? She had no contact with her for months and only with him for what a couple of weeks. Unlike other people, she at least showed up in court and said her piece, unlike Michael's own family and 'friends' who ducked summons. Not saying that she should not have gone on her media tour, but putting her in the same league as people who actually stolen from Michael is a bit much.

I am also wary of research done by some fans. But, I won't go into that.

ivy;3939172 said:
of course you would believe and accept everything Jackson lawyers say so there's no surprise there.

laughs. Anyone who has read my posts and yours knows that comment goes both ways.

The plaintiffs gave clear, simple, legal reason why they felt question one was an issue. It is obvious why the plaintiffs wanted hiring, supervision, or retention as three separate claims while the defense wanted these claims combined.

It is fact that question two following question one – which emphasized hiring - did make some feel it meant “at the time of hiring” as many on this forum and jurors have said such. I still maintain, as the plaintiffs’ lawyers do, that the doctor’s unfitness and incompetence was evident during his two months of employment and documented as per AEG’s own emails. As per the judge, both sides argued their view during closing arguments and it is a fact that some jurors agreed with Putnam despite the criminal trial that states otherwise.

As per this motion, question one was not part of CACI. The defense will not be able to use Michael to deflect from this motion as they did during trial so let us be patient and see what they say in response. Should be interesting to see if the defense states they did not hire the doctor and that the jurors answered that question incorrectly in their view seeing that they fought to have that question on the questionnaire.

You know 20% is an average right? That means for every 2 cases an appeal is granted there are 8 others that the appeal is denied. This might be very well the case that the appeal is granted but it doesn't change the fact that the odds are against them. It's a uphill battle.

At least you are willing to admit that much.

Assuming AEG is also contacting the jurors for their set of counter affidavits , it might not be easy to prove for Jacksons. For example what if AEG comes with 8 affidavits that says their vote wouldn't have changed if "at any time" was added to the question?

Could it be that they will immediately admit defeat and withdraw their motion for a new trial?

Duke is speaking of the four jurors affidavits and that is their view. Let us see if the defense will be able to bring forth no less than eight contradicting affidavits.

Most likely a transcription error however, I understand the quickness to suggest the plaintiffs’ lawyers committed an unsavory act.

Last edited:

Correct. But I believe AEG were negligent in their treatment of Michael. I think they treated him like a money making robot and not a person. Obviously that 's not what the trial was about but it seems some of the juros felt the same.
I think that's the very nature of show business, though-whether you're talking about studio executives, record executives or concert promoters-they make an investment in their "product" in hopes that huge money is made for all. They obviously don't want the artist to die-but I don't think they treat artists as human beings, really. Look at the Judy Garland story for just one example. If you can't cut it, you're cut loose.
For all the wonderful, magical performances show business has turned out throughout the years, it's a "scummy" business with no heart. It's not criminal, though.

Correction, Murray was playing Russian roulette with Michael's life. I don't think Michael told Murray to leave the room to talk to his girlfriends and shot off emails. As Michael said, he would be find as long as he was monitor, which is correct. Michael died because Murray abandon Michael.
You're right. I remember when this first started trickling out from his police interview, before I knew anything about propofol except it was anaesthesia and Murray said he had just run to the bathroom-It took me about 20 to 30 seconds to think if I were Murray I would have gone to the bathroom in the bedpan-and then I remembered that diaper the astronaut wore across country trying to kill her rival-THAT'S what I would have done-worn an adult diaper so as not to leave for a second.
I couldn't understand how a DOCTOR could be that stupid-to run out for a second-but of course, it was way worse than that.

Last edited:
Tygger;3939370 said:
laughs. Anyone who has read my posts and yours knows that comment goes both ways.

not really. For example I had said that hiring question would go in Jacksons favor even before the trial started. I was able to give props or wins to Jackson lawyers whenever it was due. Same cannot be said for you.

At least you are willing to admit that much.

yes I admit I know how the percentages work. With 20% of appeals being successful I assumed everyone with basic math knowledge understood that some of them are successful. ergo it means Jackson appeal could be successful or it could be unsuccessful.

Could it be that they will immediately admit defeat and withdraw their motion for a new trial?

What? Jackson lawyers withdraw their motion? Now you are being funny. Absolutely not. This will be pursued in superior court, in appeal court and even in supreme court. Jacksons aren't dropping anything until the fat lady sings.

Duke is speaking of the four jurors affidavits and that is their view.

But it ain't the view of the four jurors and anyone that can read can see it. For example can you kindly tell us where any of the four jurors stated "most of the jury wanted to find AEG liable"?

Let us see if the defense will be able to bring forth no less than eight contradicting affidavits.

Why eight? Realistically speaking probably they wont but I don't think having all eight is a requirement. All they need is contrary statements

Should be interesting to see if the defense states they did not hire the doctor and that the jurors answered that question incorrectly in their view seeing that they fought to have that question on the questionnaire.

logically unlikely. AEG already got the verdict they want, why would they argue any type of incorrect answer by the jurors? If anything they would most probably argue that there were no mistakes. Logic 101.

Most likely a transcription error however, I understand the quickness to suggest the plaintiffs’ lawyers committed an unsavory act.

sure let's pretend that Jackson lawyers are angels and all of the jurors repeated similar words and concepts by coincidence. we can also pretend that I'm the Queen of England while we are at it.

let us be patient and see what they say in response.

yes let us be patient and see what they say before we predict success levels of an appeal... oh wait... nevermind.

Ivy, I will scale back on sarcasm as it seems you have misunderstood. Sarcasm aside, the motion was quite clear, the argument quite compelling, and the plaintiffs’ chances are favorable from what I have read. I am sure when the defense responds you (and others) will find much to support. I look forward to it.

Last edited:

I share your frustrations with these developments to say the least, LastTear. And no, we had not yet informed the court of our verdict when we decided to watch TII.

Thank you for answering that, I can only image how this motion makes you and the other jurors feel.

I have just re-read the affidavits, and I would be very surprised if this gets off the ground and here's why.

Question 2 does not mention a time scale, so one could argue it could be taken as 'at any time' or at the time of hiring. But time scale isn't actually important because the actual question was 'for the work for which he was hired' - this seems to be glossed over and actually not even mentioned on those affidavits, which I find interesting to say the least.

So.... If you have decided that Murray was hired then you look to the draft contract to see what his job description is - general medical care. Well even given what we know about the man, he was competent to perform as a general doctor. Should AEG have known that he was outstretching himself past the work that he was hired for? Not in my opinion.

On one affidavit it states surprise/shock at finding that having answered Q2 that they had to stop. The forms were very clear, after every question it states 'if you answered no' etc - so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back