Lady Gaga inspired by Michael for this year's Super Bowl

barbee0715

Proud Member
I know Bruno Mars was inspired by Michael for his Super Bowl performance. And obviously Coldplay (the cards in the stands) and Beyonce (her outfit) were inspired last year.

Now Lady Gaga is saying in her media interview that she's inspired by him-and it's one of her fondest memories watching him then. Here's a clip from our local news tonight too. It wouldn't let me embed it-you can click on the abc13 link to see her short talk-she answers questions from Simone Biles, the Olympic gymnast, also from Houston.

Lady Gaga inspired by Michael Jackson

Lady Gaga's Super Bowl performance will be inspired by Michael Jackson.

The 'Born This Way' hitmaker will provide the half-time entertainment at the annual sporting spectacle at the NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas, on Sunday (02.05.17) and has vowed to put on show that people will "never forget", much like when she saw the late King of Pop's NFL gig in 1993.

She said: "I want to more than anything create a moment that everybody watching will never forget. Not for me, but for themselves.

"That's what I remember about great Super Bowl performances in the past: when you really get lost watching with your family.

"Watching Michael Jackson doing the halftime show is one of the fondest memories I have.

"He encapsulates everything that you love about a great performer. You watch him go on stage, and you can see that he's getting his head in the zone, and he's having a true defining moment of what it must feel like to be a champion."

And the 30-year-old singer also sought inspiration and advice from Beyonce, who headlined the half-time show in 2013 and joined Coldplay for their performance at the showpiece game last year.

Speaking at a press conference, she said: "I was actually with her the last halftime show that she did.

"And she always is very inspiring and gives great advice. She's a very focused and genuine performer ... I'm grateful to have wonderful women in this business that are supportive of me."

However, after Gaga used a bee emoji - the symbol of Beyonce's 'Beehive' fanbase - while praising her pal's hometown of Houston on Instagram, fans started speculating the 'Formation' singer would be joining her at the show, but the 'Poker Face' star suggested that isn't the case.

She said: "Oh boy, do you guys read into everything. You know what, I wouldn't read into it, no."

Gaga has promised the show will be "interesting and exciting" and she hopes the songs she has chosen will entertain both her fans tuning in to watch her show, and the football fans watching the game.

"I don't wanna give away also how many costume changes I'll be doing ... We will be doing some very interesting and exciting stuff during the show, and I'm excited for you to see it"I will say it's a tremendously athletic show, and it's something we really talked about when creating the halftime experience.
"I mentioned that I thought it was important for us to consider, you know, high adrenaline."

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
LADY GAGA PROMISES 'TREMENDOUSLY ATHLETIC' SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW

1733897_630x354.jpg

Lady Gaga previews her Pepsi Halftime Show during a Thursday morning press conference. (AP Photo/Morry Gash)

http://globegazette.com/people/lady...cle_88a726cc-6e90-5c91-a844-24b6388b2480.html

http://abc13.com/entertainment/lady-gaga-promises-athletic-sb51-show/1733887/

Last edited:
Yasss, she better stan for the King.
I love how Gaga always gives Michael props and expresses her admiration of him.
I also love when she says this in particular.
"He encapsulates everything that you love about a great performer. You watch him go on stage, and you can see that he's getting his head in the zone, and he's having a true defining moment of what it must feel like to be a champion."

This halftime show is going to be lit.:D

I think she's going to use the idea that Michael had when he appeared up high (unexpected).. of course Michael used an impersonator but!! we will see what she does.

There's a rumor that Lady Gaga will perform Thriller (or at least use part of the song) at the Super Bowl.
Here's a link to the clip causing the hoopla.
https://mobile.twitter.com/mjBeats/status/827891777562673152
It doesn't look/sound legit to me (it seems like someone edited Thriller into the video).
I just saw this elsewhere. It's my opinion that it's fake-I live in Houston and the news helicopters have been flying over the stadium this week trying to see the rehearsal. You can't hear any music. And when they start actually rehearsing, they close the roof, so they can't see.

I could be wrong, tho. Lol.

I just saw this elsewhere. It's my opinion that it's fake-I live in Houston and the news helicopters have been flying over the stadium this week trying to see the rehearsal. You can't hear any music. And when they start actually rehearsing, they close the roof, so they can't see.

I could be wrong, tho. Lol.

Haha, Gaga ain't putting up with the paparazzi's shit :lol:

Tomorrow's the day! Can't wait :)

Pink Diamond Princess;4183039 said:
Wonder if she's gonna wear one of Michael's outfits.

:bugeyed :no:

If she is gonna perform in one of Michael´s stage outfits, Im going to loose it!!!

She did great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved how she opened with the Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful. That's the perfect political message right there.

Deservedly dropped the mic at the end.

I loved it!
She did great!

Lowkey mad that Michael's wasn't at night though.
Halftime shows done at night always have really good visuals.
Michael's halftime is still the best (without Michael we wouldn't even have halftime shows as we know them), but imagine it at night where he could have had a bunch of explosions and sparkles and stuff that would have been easily visible and lit up the sky.

I thought Gaga put on the best show ever.
MJ was disadvantaged in that he was doing it during the day and he was doing it first and he was the one who made it a thing but Gaga blew the roof of the joint.
I love Bruno and he is as talented on the stage but Gaga's far more creative visually which took the thing to another level.

There were SO many gif worthy moments.
The Spiderman cable leap from the roof, the GROUP TWIRL.
The reaction gifs that are going spawn from this performance are too damn good.:lol:

I can't give an opinion to Gaga's performance because I'm not a fan and didn't care to watch it, TBH.

People could say hers was more spectacular at the moment but Michael's put it on the map and has had an everlasting impact of almost 30 years. I don't think the other shows will have that ability.

Did she made reference to MJ, BTW?

I don't like Gaga's music much but she put on a great show. The beginning when she did that air acrobatics thing - that reminded me of Pink though, that's her trademark.

BTW, every year right after the show people declare that show the best ever, then by next year they forget it and go back to referencing MJ's. LOL.

Of course, since then you have had more technically spectacular shows, that's only natural. Every year you have more fireworks, more pyrotechnics, more spectaculars and more dancers added, and by now they have 24 years of development compared to MJ's show, but the fact people still go back to his show and reference it tells it all about what effect it had.

True that, true that.
When it all comes down to it Michael put the halftime show on the map.
Without him halftime shows as we know it wouldn't even exist.

He also put on a more then amazing show considering that it was a daytime performance and that he didn't have the tech of today.

Wow! That was big. And yes, I could some MJ inspiration in her costumes/outfits.
The visuals were great. Really good 1/2 time show! :)

TYSM! Barbee!

I read on Twitter that the NFL called hers the best since Michael's (Respect77 was right about each new one being the best one :lol:).
Can't find the tweet, instagram post, or video where that was said though.
If its true that they said it I know that Gaga is very happy because she's a huge MJfan. :)

Wow!!! That was incredible!!!! Definitely one of the greatest and my most favourite Superbowl performances yet (I don't have a favourite, but at the top is Michael, Beyoncé, Gaga to name a few in no particular order).

What a great opening. Gaga standing on top of the stadium as 300 drones in the background form the United States flag... then she jumps down and jumps straight into her fantastic discography, all the meanwhile dazzling us with some incredible choreography, performing a number of instruments and, above all, having the audacity to sing LIVE!! Some cool variations on her songs too. All to finish it off with the badass dropping of the mic and grabbing of the ball... THIS is how you rock the Superbowl!!!. An incredible performer and musician all around :D Nice work Gaga!! :clapping:

Man, this makes me wonder how much better visually Michael's would've been if he had performed it at night and with the help of great technological improvements. We got a bit of a taste of it with This Is It!

It was great.

But the truth is, there would likely have been no Beyonce, Bruno, GaGa, half time spectaculars without MJ.

Because Michael changed the format from a ratings bleed to a spectacle that increased viewership, his will always be the ultimate show in a way.

That said, Gaga was incredible. Her talent is immense - that was entirely live with full choreography and production going 100%! Ratings for the HT show make this the third time in history that the HT show had the highest average viewership of the broadcast, following Michael in '93 and Madonna in 2012.

Back