Lets Discuss BAD concerts footage and what may have been shot on film ?

I have to agree with you.

The 4 songs that are lip-synched don't bother me at all. Plus the set list was indeed better on the second leg.

To be honest I don't think that his vocals necessarily got ''worse'', they were just more raspy.
I think it depends on what one prefers in terms of vocals.
Some people actually prefer the more raspy vocals while others prefer the cleaner vocals.

There was definitely a decline in his voice throughout the Bad Tour. It got more strained and raspy and he avoided hitting some high notes and he was running out of breath more quickly. He also took the pitch down several steps for some songs.

Compare Thriller from Yokohama and Thriller from Wembley and you can clearly hear the difference.

I prefer the 2nd leg of the tour because it has more songs from the BAD album. This is supposed to be the BAD Tour after all

Yeah I think the majority of fans agree that overall the 88 leg was the best show, considering the inclusion of more bad songs but to me the 87 shows were better even if they didn't have the bad songs. Heartbreak Hotel and SYBDTG from Yokohama are the best performances I have ever seen from any artist.

LMAO. 4 songs. Exaggerated much? The setlist on the second leg was way better.

I worded that badly. With "playback starts to take over" I meant to say that during that leg of the tour he started using playback in concerts... which would ultimately dominate on later tours.

I just love those live versions of "Lovely One", "Things I Do for You", "Shake Your body". With the second leg he brought in a lot of new elements, which at that time he hadn't fully perfectioned yet. It's really a little messy at parts when you compare it to later Dangerous Tour concerts. That's me "complaining" at a high level though. Of course it's great to see second leg Bad Tour concerts as well, but I prefer the first leg, it's simply the peak of him as a live performer.

Even though lip-synched, the live ad-libs in Smooth Criminal in Bad Tour has always been a killer for me.

It is indeed disappointing that Michael performed so little of Bad in the 1987 shows. If he had performed TWYMMF and MITM at Yokohama...sorry I can't even finish that sentence without going for a lie down

Heartbreak Hotel and SYBDTG from Yokohama are the best performances I have ever seen from any artist.

In my opinion, Heartbreak Hotel and SYB have never sounded better than in the Triumph Tour (and I honestly prefer the LA '81 performances compared to the '87 shows). And band wise, I do think that Tokyo '88 also sound superior to the '87 shows. Forget about the vocals, I know they are not as good as in the early days of the tour but they still do sound great (This has to be my favorite HH performance from the tour https://youtu.be/5ledUWwI2tw). So overall, the set list, the show, the band etc makes the '88 Bad tour a lot better.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Heartbreak Hotel and SYB have never sounded better than in the Triumph Tour (and I honestly prefer the LA '81 performances compared to the '87 shows). And band wise, I do think that Tokyo '88 also sound superior to the '87 shows. Forget about the vocals, I know they are not as good as in the early days of the tour but they still do sound great (This has to be my favorite HH performance from the tour https://youtu.be/5ledUWwI2tw). So overall, the set list, the show, the band etc makes the '88 Bad tour a lot better.

Yeah I have to respectfully disagree with you here my friend.

Hopefully Madison Square Garden 1988 will get leaked some day. On that show every song is sung 100% live except for the first half of Man In The Mirror.

That's a great idea. I mean, why don't they just re broadcast Yokohama '87 some time?
Exactly. Since it never got an "official" release why not rebroadcast it.

Bad tour first leg had better "energy/vocals".
Second leg had the better setlist.
You can tell Mj gave it his all on that tour. Which is why I believe he meant it when he said it would be his "last tour".

Playback doesnt bother ne on the dangerous tour because it still was mostly live unlike History tour. '92 leg was best imo especially early shows with full setlist.

Hopefully Madison Square Garden 1988 will get leaked some day. On that show every song is sung 100% live except for the first half of Man In The Mirror.
I would much rather want to see the first night in Kansas City. Going by the snippets from that show he looked really energetic and I really want to see what he did for the first performances of some of those Bad songs. I think there is a very high chance that he sung man in the mirror completely live on that first show.

The 3rd leg (Dec. 1988 - Jan. 1989), in terms of the band, is def. the peak of the BAD World Tour, all the little things added (especially in the later Tokyo shows), I especially love "Another Part Of Me" in these shows, along with the new intro for "Human Nature".

If any show has the right to be released, however, it probably has to me the early USA shows (Feb. - May 1988), not only does it have the full 1988 setlist (which the 3rd Leg lacks with the removal of "Dirty Diana"), but it also has live vocals for 3 out of the 4 lip-synced songs (at least in the Feb. & Mar. shows), along with it being the start of the tour, so Michael's energy is most likely exceptional (which you can see in some news reports & such), I don't see any negatives to not releasing any of these shows.

That's not to say that the other shows don't deserve a release, every show on the tour had something unique, whether it be a different song on the "BAD Groove" (such as Beatles music during Liverpool), a different outfit (such as the Kansas Shows having a slightly different Silver Shirt), or a guest star (Steve Stevens in the NY shows), each show was different in its own small way.

The 3rd leg (Dec. 1988 - Jan. 1989), in terms of the band, is def. the peak of the BAD World Tour, all the little things added (especially in the later Tokyo shows), I especially love "Another Part Of Me" in these shows, along with the new intro for "Human Nature".

If any show has the right to be released, however, it probably has to me the early USA shows (Feb. - May 1988), not only does it have the full 1988 setlist (which the 3rd Leg lacks with the removal of "Dirty Diana"), but it also has live vocals for 3 out of the 4 lip-synced songs (at least in the Feb. & Mar. shows), along with it being the start of the tour, so Michael's energy is most likely exceptional (which you can see in some news reports & such), I don't see any negatives to not releasing any of these shows.

That's not to say that the other shows don't deserve a release, every show on the tour had something unique, whether it be a different song on the "BAD Groove" (such as Beatles music during Liverpool), a different outfit (such as the Kansas Shows having a slightly different Silver Shirt), or a guest star (Steve Stevens in the NY shows), each show was different in its own small way.

I strongly disagree. The Dec to Jan shows were probably one of the weakest of the tour imo. His vocals sounded very hoarse and overused and the removal of dirty Diana killed it for me. He even sang APOM in a lower pitch which is while it still sounded unique and amazing it doesn't show off what Michael can really do with his voice. The original higher pitch was better.

As for the first US leg, despite almost the entire setlist being sung live which I would really love to see the first US leg feels very underdeveloped and slow and clunky. The breakdowns such as APOM were way shorter and less exciting. You can obviously see that Michael was still learning what he wanted the show to be like by that point because the backup singers vocals were not on point, some instruments not properly aligned with the music etc.

Now the European leg. now THAT WAS THE PEAK of the second leg. Great vocals, great energy, way more developed and a better sounding show than the first US leg. And if Aintree was shot fully on film like most members on this thread are saying. That show should be definitely realeased

But as I type this it's 2021 and still no release... What I'll tell you is MJs estate just don't care anymore, they won't release anything ever again.

Will we see another Bad Tour concert again? Definitely.

Will it be through an official release? No.

I tell you know that the only way we will ever see a Bad Tour show is if there is a leak or a crowdfund for one. Look at the recent LA soundboard crowdfund. Unfortunately we never got it. But it means we still have hope to see a BWT concert in good quality. But if you think it's going to be through the Estate, just don't even hope on that department because they don't care for Mike's legacy anymore.

I strongly disagree. The Dec to Jan shows were probably one of the weakest of the tour imo. His vocals sounded very hoarse and overused and the removal of dirty Diana killed it for me. He even sang APOM in a lower pitch which is while it still sounded unique and amazing it doesn't show off what Michael can really do with his voice. The original higher pitch was better.

As for the first US leg, despite almost the entire setlist being sung live which I would really love to see the first US leg feels very underdeveloped and slow and clunky. The breakdowns such as APOM were way shorter and less exciting. You can obviously see that Michael was still learning what he wanted the show to be like by that point because the backup singers vocals were not on point, some instruments not properly aligned with the music etc.

Now the European leg. now THAT WAS THE PEAK of the second leg. Great vocals, great energy, way more developed and a better sounding show than the first US leg. And if Aintree was shot fully on film like most members on this thread are saying. That show should be definitely realeased

But as I type this it's 2021 and still no release... What I'll tell you is MJs estate just don't care anymore, they won't release anything ever again.

Will we see another Bad Tour concert again? Definitely.

Will it be through an official release? No.

I tell you know that the only way we will ever see a Bad Tour show is if there is a leak or a crowdfund for one. Look at the recent LA soundboard crowdfund. Unfortunately we never got it. But it means we still have hope to see a BWT concert in good quality. But if you think it's going to be through the Estate, just don't even hope on that department because they don't care for Mike's legacy anymore.
I am just hoping and praying one day they will find the lost film. I agree the EU leg was arguably the best. However I would still want to see MSG or Kansas 88. At this point, even an edited Tape sourced show wouldnt be a bad idea either. I just want more concert material.SOMETHING.

I just want more concert material.SOMETHING.

They will probably release Munich 1997. :D I think its the most likely because they have talked about it. The negative feedback might have delayed it but I think they will release it at some point. I would be ok with it if they release something better before it.

They will probably release Munich 1997. :D I think its the most likely because they have talked about it. The negative feedback might have delayed it but I think they will release it at some point. I would be ok with it if they release something better before it.

We really don't know what's sitting in the archives right now, but it can't have just been Munich that was shot in HD from that tour imo. It's a shame that Dangerous was only captured on Beta Tape though, Michael's second greatest solo Tour. Thankfully the best tour is on film - BAD 87' & 88'. In terms of concert material, they should release the best quality footage first in my opinion and then utilise the tapes for a possible collectors label/portal/streaming service aimed solely at the hardcore fan base.

We really don't know what's sitting in the archives right now, but it can't have just been Munich that was shot in HD from that tour imo. It's a shame that Dangerous was only captured on Beta Tape though, Michael's second greatest solo Tour. Thankfully the best tour is on film - BAD 87' & 88'. In terms of concert material, they should release the best quality footage first in my opinion and then utilise the tapes for a possible collectors label/portal/streaming service aimed solely at the hardcore fan base.
Agreed. On top of that releasing it as is is pointless imo. It was already broadcast on TV. It's the concert that casuals see online mostly. I would only support it if it wasn't Munich lol. Give us rehearsals/Best of edit of the tour. Package it with a new doc.

If you give us an HQ/HD Bad tour concert I wont care what they release afterwards lol

Not to spam, but I dug through this thread and thought this old post by GF was interesting (Page 15). This kind of contradicts what Warren says. Warren was there at wembley and confirms that he edited an entire show from those dates. GF might not of known about warrens story at the time? At least he confirms Aintree was filmed. So if Warren is correct about wembley, and GO is correct about Aintree, then we should have 2 filmed concerts waiting to be found.

Zakk, yes, 'some' film reels exist, but not nearly as many as you would like to believe. Aintree was shot on film but apparently the results were very disappointing due to weather, camera positions and apparently some poor person getting serious emergency medical treatment at the foot of the stage for the first few songs - this is how Aintree was described to me by the film production manager (who worked for Patrick Kelly) who I spoke to several times. Notwithstanding this,she admits that it is indeed possible her memory is hazy after so many years.

Wembley was NOT shot in entirety on film.

Sony never ever had of the PK film in their archives.

patrick Kelly turned over all the bad tour materials to MJ vaults at the end of the bad tour where they remain however they were not identified nor catalogued until last year. Patrick has retired and wishes to have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Tracking him down and persuading him to speak was almost surreal in difficulty.

Nvertheless, given the materials that were to hand, the overall quality of BAD25 leaves much to be desired.

The re-edit of Another Part of Me???? The sync is just awful, appalling amateurish slapdash poorest quality work.

...and don't get me started on the 5.1 or stereo mixes....

Michael never in his life released anything less than superb work of the highest artistic AND technical quality. Work that stands the test of time as a touchstone of integrity.

The problem however is that given the mediocre sales of 'Michael' and given the unbelievably terrible sales of BAD 25 it's more likely that hell will freeze over before another Bad era concert is released.

Back