Let's talk Wanna be startin' Something (live)

SkyWalk

Proud Member
I always forget how good WBSS as a song and live performance is and stumble on it every now and again!!!!

I love the Victory performance and find it amazing how the Thriller era Michael sounds like the Bad era Mike in that performance but I guess he always had those vocals in him.

Also watching the History era performance where his vocals lack very much so let's be honest, and thinking was the song too high tempo for Mike during this era as it hadn't changed since the Victory tour? Maybe they should of changed the tempo down a bit and Michael could of changed the style slightly as he did in This is It, that's why I think he sounds soo much better in This is It compared to History era and even Dangerous era!!!?

I got goosebumps in the cinema when Wanna Be Startin Somethin started playing in This Is It

I wanna see the full June 23rd WBSS, as well as the 6 unseen song's + behind the scenes and directing the crew/dancers & band :wild:

As u know I only recently (may) started to follow Michael and the first thing i wanted to see was his live concert, not the one from Romania, wanted something older.
So i found the Bad at Wembley and I was just blown away right from the start. Great idea to make it an opening song, such an energetic performance. I could not believe my eyes, I knew he was amazing performer but didnt know he had SO much energy. He was dancing, running, jumping, and struting in the Michael way :) Crazy! And because of that live performance it became one of my favorites.
I think the main problem with the Dangerous and History performance was that this song came after already heavy dancing sequence of Jam or Scream/TDCAU/In the closet. I even think it could have been left out of the History tour, 3 songs from thriller album would be enough and put there more from Bad or Dangerous.

I wanna see the full June 23rd WBSS, as well as the 6 unseen song's + behind the scenes and directing the crew/dancers & band :wild:

WBSS June 23rd??!!! :wild: OMG! I thought the footage we have now was from 23rd!! So Michael was more energetic with WBSS at June 23rd? :O

WBSS June 23rd??!!! :wild: OMG! I thought the footage we have now was from 23rd!! So Michael was more energetic with WBSS at June 23rd? :O

lol, there's only snippets from the June 23rd rehearsal.. most of that performance in This Is It is with the silver jacket and red pants.. he looks so much more on point during the June 23rd footage!

WBSS is always the first song I listen to when a new concert becomes available. It's just an amazing song live, so funky.

I agree that the 1987 version is cleanest in terms of vocals, but I also love early Dangerous Tour performances (July-September or so). His voice is slightly raspier in early Dangerous shows compared to the Bad Tour. Love it!

I think Bad Tour version is the best:
When I watch him here and listen to his glorious voice, I just have to thank God for allowing me to be born in the same generation, so I could grow up with him and watch him develop into what I consider a true miracle in motion.
I have never loved anyone like I do him, and it seems like every day I just love him more.

WBSS is truely a party starter - and a perfect opening song for a concert !

In TII the tempo was taken down a bit and it feels great! (taken down compared to prior tours - not album version) I am pretty sure it would have been sung live since he has never ever used playback for that song!

I would have LOVED to see MJ 50 years old performing WBSS with so much energy and a great voice!! - I still feel sad thinking about MJ passing just before his comeback to the stage! - He should have at least been given the chance to perform just one concert so people could see he was still up for it ! - Would have been a perfect concert I think...

I got goosebumps in the cinema when Wanna Be Startin Somethin started playing in This Is It

I swear I screamed like I was in a concert of his and I wasn't embarrassed whatsoever! I love his mature vocals and IMO this version has the best instrumentation. Also how Michael tells Bearden, "it's funkieeer"! :wild:

TII WBSS could have been the best version performed ever!!

Stage is cool, it's so funky, vocals sound great. Everything just seems to be perfect.

When I saw TII in the theaters, once the music started I was like ZOMG, this is so cool seeing/hearing a live "concert" with a theater soundsystem.

I swear I screamed like I was in a concert of his and I wasn't embarrassed whatsoever! I love his mature vocals and IMO this version has the best instrumentation. Also how Michael tells Bearden, "it's funkieeer"! :wild:

Why did they change shot just when he was about to do the flamingo darn it??!! Lol

Oh Wow, it just breaks my heart to see TII again, this should have been his big comeback.

Last edited:
One of my all time favourite MJ songs, and one of his best songs live.

The energy of this on the Bad tour in particular was incredible!

Does anyone know the dates of red pants day and black pants day? And which performance are the vocals coming from?

Last edited:
i think that that michael did the wrong think when he performed WBSS at HIStory tour, his vocal was tired, at Bad and Victory tours he was at top

Does anyone know the dates of red pants day and black pants day? And which performance are the vocals coming from?

The day of the suit is from June 23rd, i believe the one with the red pants is from The Forum! the forum has the best rehearsals overall, but June 23rd.. Michael was THERE!!! if you know what i mean..

The day of the suit is from June 23rd, i believe the one with the red pants is from The Forum! the forum has the best rehearsals overall, but June 23rd.. Michael was THERE!!! if you know what i mean..
Just noticed they use both vocal performances into the one song!!!

Yeah I know what u mean by Michael being 'THERE' from June 23rd performance and also Michael is not wearing sunglasses like he is during the red pants performance that's probably why some people thinks it's an imposonator lol but I think it's just Michael being a bit rusty and he had loosened up by the 23rd.

MJ used glasses some times in his later years right? - Maybe the sunglasses has some effect for his view. - Don't know what it's called in english but sunglassed that works like normal glasses too.

I always wondered why on earth he would rehearse with sunglasses so I think it might be to help him see - and during real concerts he would maybe wear contact lenses - don't know, maybe I am far out... :)

I really hope they make another TII release - and the TII they actually did release was more a concert than a documentary, and that's fine - it's mainly MJ performing and rehearsing people wanna see.

BUT - if they make another TII release I hope for much more early production planning, much more insight in MJ rehearsing in front of the mirror with Travis Payne - and much more footage of MJ instructing the dancers - like we see him show them the Drill - that footage is AMAZING. - Such difficult dance routine yet MJ is smiling and chewing gum whilst performing absolutely perfect. - You can never see MJ count or anything, he just makes the moves with his entire body, no of the dancers can do it so natural - they look more like robots making pre-learned moves.

I would love to see more of the creative proces - I had hoped there would be much of that stuff as Bonu Material on TII - but it was meet the dancers, meet the band etc. - not much footage of MJ really. - Footage where MJ instructs the band is amazing. - Some of my favorite footage is the footage of MJ and the band rehearsing TWYMMF. - It really shows his genius - and I bet they have footage like that from all the songs - cause naturally they went trough each song like they go through TWYMMF. - and that would be great to see. That shows MJ in total and absolut control of everything. - He really know his songs - evrything from the drums, the piano, the choir etc. etc. - And I would love to see more of that.

MJ used glasses some times in his later years right? - Maybe the sunglasses has some effect for his view. - Don't know what it's called in english but sunglassed that works like normal glasses too.

I always wondered why on earth he would rehearse with sunglasses so I think it might be to help him see - and during real concerts he would maybe wear contact lenses - don't know, maybe I am far out... :)
I think the main reason why he wore them was because he was insecure about his looks so he just wanted to wear them. I have got that imperssion. I can't think of other reason why he would wear them inside.

Michael almost drops the glasses when he does the spin around 0:53

I think the main reason why he wore them was because he was insecure about his looks so he just wanted to wear them. I have got that imperssion. I can't think of other reason why he would wear them inside.

He wasn't insecure about his looks at all, he had glaucoma.

He wasn't insecure about his looks at all, he had glaucoma.

Maybe it wasn't the reason why he wore sunglasses but I'm sure he was. That was one of the reasons why did the plastic surgeries. I have got that impression.

Let's not forget Michael always wore sunglasses now and again weather it was during rehearsals (Bad tour) awards shows and interviews - I think it was just Michael's shyness and he wanted some kind of barrier between him and ALL those eyes and camera's looking at him!!!!

Let's not forget Michael always wore sunglasses now and again weather it was during rehearsals (Bad tour) awards shows and interviews - I think it was just Michael's shyness and he wanted some kind of barrier between him and ALL those eyes and camera's looking at him!!!!

''Testimony in the Jackson manslaughter trial will reveal the star was prescribed eye drops used to treat glaucoma, and that Conrad Murray thought he might have been legally blind, Amy Ephron reports.''

Source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...timony-was-michael-jackson-legally-blind.html

i assume on days like June 23rd, he may have been wearing contact lenses.

He managed to grab the glasses in rhythm with the music and still execute the dance steps in perfect time. What a pro! :D

So the sunglasses he wore were actually prescription sunglasses?

So the sunglasses he wore were actually prescription sunglasses?
We can't really be sure. I think the reason was the same as before when he wore sunglasses over the years. He just wanted to wear them. He may have had that Glaucoma that Zakk mentioned but I'm have hard time thinking that he needed to wear the glasses inside because of that.

Back