List of artists who can't read and write sheet music

Thom Yorke from Radiohead.

He said, "If someone lays the notes on a page in front of me, it's meaningless... because to me you can't express the rhythms properly like that. It's a very ineffective way of doing it, so I've never really bothered picking it up."

Can anyone on here give me a list of artists who can't read and write sheet music?

So far i've got

Michael Jackson
Paul Mccartney
Lionel Richie

None of The Beatles
Chaka Khan
Jimi Hendrix
B.B. King
James Brown
Aretha Franklin

You sure about that in bold?

I swear I read in Michael's book Moonwalker that he was really impressed when he worked with Paul because Paul knew how to read and write music, whereas MJ couldn't. I don't know musical terms but he was talking about 'scores' I think.

The necessity for reading music depends entirely on what one wants/needs to be able to do.

Reading music at a high level generally takes years of study, particularly for piano.

Depends also on the instrument one plays; there're tabs for guitar, treble and bass clefs for piano, treble or bass clef for wind, brass and string instruments, lead sheets and chord charts for guitar or piano, full score for orchestras..... Different kinds of music reading exist.

For most genres, a lead sheet or tabs are enough. And some musicians just use their ears, and sometimes that can be enough too. Except when one has to play a song one has never heard before.

Yeah, it really depends on a lot of things....

Well it really depends on what you're trying to do. Are you just going for some chords that are supposed to be "the right key", or is your accompaniment worthy in it's own right?
I'm trying to imagine even a concert where the pianist suddenly plays it's own thing that sounds just a hair different then the recorded album version- and suddenly fans would say, wait a minute, that's not "right", because then all of a sudden people will insist on the exact reproduction they heard before.

Of course in classical music you'd get booed of stage if a pianist would just make up some chords to go along to some really known Schubert or Mozart song, because then the piano is so much more than just supplying a chord so that deaf singers know what key they are in. (just kidding...)
Depending on the music your accompaniment will live in it's own right.

So I'll say it depends on what you're trying to do.

It's also quite the advanced skill after years of study to be able to reproduce a piece of music strictly from paper without ever having heard it- being able to read what the composer actually meant which in turns means that the person writing it down needs excellent skills as well.
Imagine music from 200 years ago- there was no recording, those folks are long dead- but we have notations of their music and hopefully can try to reproduce it.

I wouldn't discount the ability to read and particularly write sheet music- imagine an almost deaf composer who simply won't be able to reproduce his composition by ears anymore...
That's a very rare skill these days and if I see what a program does to my own music. (playing while GarageBand spits out a score that really doesn't have much to do with what I actually played...)
I'll say it's a skill that will be needed in the end if we want to be able to reproduce music in it's entirety.

I am constantly amazed at some of the arrangements that MJ was able to come up with without being able to read or write sheet music. That's just amazing to me, I will forever take my hat before him for hearing an entire arrangement like that in his head.
He had people putting it down for him so in the end SOMEONE had to do the deed there too.

He also worked on some music that was going more into the classical side of things- and was looking for someone to orchestrate, another lost art form that's not really thought in mass quantities.

Also being able to read sheet music is still a whole level away from being able to correctly write it down....

I wouldn't discount that ability either. You can compose wonderful music and then might have a heck of a time letting others reproduce it when you're the only being able to play it...

You sure about that in bold?

I swear I read in Michael's book Moonwalker that he was really impressed when he worked with Paul because Paul knew how to read and write music, whereas MJ couldn't. I don't know musical terms but he was talking about 'scores' I think.
The Beatles couldn't read music. John said that when music scholars would write about the Beatles music talking about cadences and stuff, he had no idea what they were talking about. When Paul was doing the symphony thing in the 1990s, he would hum or play out his ideas to an arranger who put it into notation. Mike said that Paul could play all of the instruments in the studio and he (MJ) couldn't. Mike wasn't talking about sheet music.

Wow. I wonder why they never learned. Its really easy. I actually prefer not reading sheet music sometimes and just going by ear because its faster :lol:

Last edited:
QJ studied music composition and theory with Nadia Boulanger and Olivier Messiaen in Paris. Although that might not mean much to anyone here other than me. :p
I've heard of her. Quincy also mentioned her in his autobiography. The other person, I've never heard of.

Wow. I wonder why they never learned. Its really easy. I actually prefer not reading sheet music sometimes and just going by ear because its faster :lol:

Michael has said that knowing sheet music is not necessary

I've heard that not only does B.B King not know how to read music he doesn't know hardly any chords and scales

Is this true?

Back