Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

The founder of Ladysmith Black Mambazo and seen in “Moonwalker” has dies in South Africa at the age of 78. Despite Joseph being retired from the group which is still currently touring in the US, he was still the figure of the emblematic zulu music group.
Joseph’s cousin, Albert, present in the original formation of the group recalled the first meeting with Michael Jackson:
“Because we were around Los Angeles our tour manager told us that Michael Jackson’s manager called and Michael Jackson wants to meet Ladysmith Black Mambazo. I said ‘Really? Is this for real?’. He said yes and I remember that morning we were so excited waking up cooked breakfast, and then we went there to the studio to go record. When we got there he was already there. So he was sitting down with his family.”

“Then as soon as he saw us he stood up, he met us half way and he was wearing his gloves, so he took them off and then he put the gloves in his pocket and shook hands with us and gave Joseph, the leader of the group a hug. Michael Jackson is a person that doesn’t register in our hearts that he is a real person. He said ‘I am so glad that you made time to come here. I’m a big fan. I brought some of my family here. My mother and my sister and one of my brothers. I would like to do something with you’.”
After this meeting, Joseph and the rest of Ladysmith went back to their hotel. Joseph got to writing and created choreography from moves within their repertoire. Later that evening they attended the rehearsal and taping of Moonwalker and presented what they created to Michael. The song was titled “Lindelani” which means “get ready”. He loved it.

Albert spoke on the moment where Ladysmith shared the song and dance with Michael.
“Joseph said we want to sing you a song. We thought you might like this song and then he sang ‘Hello My Baby.’ And so we sang the whole song and did the dancing and everything. After that, he was smiling, looking down, and said, ‘So I hope you will be available tonight for rehearsal because I am doing a shoot for my project called Moonwalker’.”

Although written for Moonwalker, “Lindelani” would appear on their album Journey of Dreams released March 1988. The song expresses hope and joy and the magic of being in the moment. This is such a needed message then and now. A message of hope and faith and encouragement, which Albert explained at length when he spoke with us about the creation of this song.
“‘Lindelani’ means wait for those blessings that are coming from above. Yes, and then you say they are coming above like the rain, like raindrops. Why Joseph wrote those lyrics were because he was seeing what was happening to us. To have that kind of blessing to be able to meet with Michael Jackson and work with him.

So he said, when we talked about it, he said, ‘You know sometimes you can sit and you don’t know when your luck is gonna come, but just wait because everything is coming from above. So now is the time that our blessings are coming. So this is the time now’.
The song was about that. And then also when [Michael] talked about the moon he said the moon is above so everything is coming [from] above. Everything is coming to us. The song was written around the situation was happening at that time. The blessing I think is the only way that I can fit to describe what was happening.”

From the song to the choreography, everything was made to highlight this moment, meeting and working with Michael Jackson. Joseph used movements from Ladysmith’s then-current choreography and incorporated steps from Michael and his dancers to add a certain amount of presence and to capture the feel of the experience.

“Something that amazed us was the kind of dancing they were doing,” Albert said. “The crew that they had was so tight with the dancing and so clean. Something they did which is still amazing was when they were standing and leaning forward. I thought maybe it was something attached or some kind of invisible rope or something but no it was nothing. They just did that thing really and we just said, ‘Wow, amazing.’ And then after that, he said ‘I’m going to do the song.’”

[video=youtube;XsdUL5diX9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsdUL5diX9Q&feature=emb_title[/video]

“‘When I sing the song you can just join in and do what you want to do,’” Michael told the group. “Joseph had written something after they spoke a little bit. So Joseph has a piece that he had been writing. When we do the dancing there were little infuses in the dances we did for him during the day so it was making it easier for us to relate it to one another. We had rehearsed it [on our own] maybe three times and even in the rehearsal we shortened it.”

Although Ladysmith Black Mambazo met with Michael Jackson that day in 1987, they never met again. This was their first and last collaboration. “Just one day and then we never met him again. Just one moment in time. That morning and then that night and then everything was done,” Albert said.

Mambazo have won five Grammy Awards. Currently, the group consists of a new generation of members, a majority of them are sons of the founding members. Shabalala and a majority of the founding members were retired from performing and recording.
South Africa and the whole continent have lost an icon and a pioneer. but the moon is still dancing…

RIP Joseph Shabalala

MJVibe

Re: Joseph Shabalala, founder of Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Has Passed Away.

I find it sad that all the people Michael use to hangout with are now leaving us follow by leaving us too soon. it's also very scary. you would think it would be Michael seeing them all leaving. not them leaving with him. take care of yourself. life is way too short and goes by fast.

He lived a pretty good long life. it's just weird how everybody Michael use to hangout are leaving us. especially it been 10 years after his death. it's so scary. like i said enjoy life and take care of yourself. it's goes by quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
New interview with Jennifer. I’m pasting the paragraphs about MJ here, the full interview is linked below.

Jennifer Batten: "Guitarists ask me about playing with Michael Jackson more than playing with Jeff Beck!"
By David Mead (Guitarist) 17 February 2020

[…]

What sort of questions do your students typically ask?

“I get a lot of the same questions, like, ‘What was it like playing with Michael Jackson?’ People always want to know about the audition. I get more questions about that than playing with Jeff Beck, which you would think, at a guitar clinic, they would be way more interested in him and details like songwriting and the nuts and bolts of it. But it tends to be pretty surface questions that I’ve answered a million times.”

Do you miss doing massive tours with Michael Jackson and Jeff Beck?

“I do in the sense that on the Michael Jackson tour we were so spoilt. As long as our luggage was packed and outside the door, we never saw it again until the next hotel, you know? That was one of the biggest money tours in history. I didn’t change my own strings for one and a half years. It was like a paid vacation, really. But after 30 years of doing it, I just want to be home. People say, ‘Where in the world would you like to go that you haven’t been?’ and I just say, ‘Home.’ Home is a holiday for me.

“I’m not that excited about seeing new places in the world, because I’ve seen so much and I’ve been lucky to do that. Especially on the Jackson tour. Most tours it’s so expensive to keep people out that you don’t have days off. If there are any you’re traveling to get to the next city. But with Michael, we only played two or three days a week, so we did have plenty of time to see every city we were in, all around the world.

"I mean, the first time to Europe, it was just a mind-blower. I remember we just jumped on a bus from the airport to go to the hotel and nobody told us what we would see and all of a sudden you look out of the window and see the Colosseum. I was like, ‘Holy crap.’ I mean, it’s so mind-boggling, because, sure, we saw it in a two-inch-high photo in a history book, but it does not have the impact of being there and being able to just spend a couple of hours walking around it and thinking about the history behind it.”

[…]

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/jennifer-batten-guitarists-ask-me-about-playing-with-michael-jackson-more-than-playing-with-jeff-beck

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In the Spring 2020 issue of <a href="https://twitter.com/TheObjStd?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheObjStd</a>, Read “Justice for Michael Jackson” by Tim White, You'll simply need to register &amp; make an account. After purchasing the ebook version it will be available in the download or orders sections. <a href="https://t.co/lBwrlcpTIU">https://t.co/lBwrlcpTIU</a></p>&mdash; #MJINNOCENT Official (@MJInnocentUK) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJInnocentUK/status/1230762347423076354?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

V15N1-cover-Giant-768x1097-A.jpg

“First up is a remarkable piece by Tim White titled “Justice for Michael Jackson.” If you were, as I was, deeply saddened by the accusations that Jackson molested young boys, and if you refused, as did I, to draw any conclusions on the matter given that you hadn’t seen any credible evidence in support of the claims, you will be relieved—perhaps even delighted—by this revelatory article. White’s deep dive into the case is not only an act of justice for the King of Pop, it also is an exercise in objectivity regarding such allegations.”

https://www.theobjectivestandard.com/2020/02/from-the-editor-spring-2020/

Edit: I just found an excerpt of the article. :)

Justice for Michael Jackson
Tim White February 20, 2020 In The Objective Standard, Spring 2020

Author’s note: Please be advised that some parts of this article contain graphic descriptions of alleged sexual abuse of minors, where it is necessary to address those claims.

I’m a perfectionist. I’m never totally satisfied. I always wish the world could be a better place. Hopefully, that’s what I do with my music—bring happiness to people, bring some joy and peace into their lives. —Michael Jackson

The story of Michael Jackson’s child abuse trial in 2005 is one of the most complex and controversial in recent memory, from both legal and ethical perspectives. In preparing to write this article, I read the court transcripts—which total nearly eight thousand pages—in their entirety. I watched all of the major films and documentaries about Jackson (so far as I know), including Living with Michael Jackson, Man in the Mirror, and Leaving Neverland. I spent hundreds of hours scouring the internet and public archives, listening carefully to what both Jackson’s supporters and accusers have had to say.

Jackson was publicly accused of child abuse twice while he was still alive. In 1993, the Chandler family briefly pursued a criminal case against him but quickly dropped it and filed a civil case that was settled out of court. In 2003, the Arvizo family filed a criminal complaint, and the subsequent case went to trial in 2005. Jackson was fully acquitted, but four years after his death in 2009, James Safechuck and Wade Robson publicly accused him of molesting them in the late 1980s and early ’90s. Both filed civil suits against Jackson’s estate, and both suits were thrown out. In this article, we’ll examine these incidents in chronological order.

Michael Jackson was an incredible entertainer. He set and broke dozens of records during his career, produced the best-selling album of all time (Thriller, 1982—at least 100 million copies sold worldwide to date), set thirty-nine Guinness World Records, and won forty Billboard Awards, thirteen Grammys, and twenty-six American Music Awards. Even after his death, his achievements continue to rack up: He has the highest posthumous earnings of any celebrity, having earned $400 million since his death.1

Few people—even those who don’t like his music—would dispute that Jackson was a brilliant entertainer. But although most people know how passionate and skilled he was, his achievements have been overshadowed in recent decades by allegations that he sexually abused numerous young boys between 1988 and 2003. These allegations have become so commonplace and pervasive that many people speak of Jackson as if he were obviously guilty. As Jackson said at the outset of his trial, “Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons. The truth will win this marathon in court.” It ultimately did, but public opinion often fails to keep pace with the facts.

On March 3, 2019, the allegations against Jackson once again became a hot topic when director Dan Reed released a four-hour “documentary” titled Leaving Neverland. “Documentary” is in scare quotes because little about Leaving Neverland is factual, and Reed knows it.2 The film presents no new evidence or witnesses but relies entirely on testimony from only two alleged victims, both of whom have changed their stories many times over the years—a fact Reed declines to mention.

Jackson, of course, did himself no favors. He was eccentric, eclectic, and, at times, just plain weird. He often behaved unwisely, but lacking wisdom is not a criminal offense, and there is almost no evidence to suggest—much less prove—that he ever harmed a child. On the other hand, there is a great deal of evidence showing that many people had motives to knowingly make false claims to the contrary.

Michael Jackson received justice, but only in the legal sense, when he was acquitted in 2005. For all intents and purposes, his career and personal life both were over after that. He suffered tremendous emotional trauma as a result of the trial and the years of sensationalized, irrationally biased, and sometimes flagrantly dishonest media coverage.3 He fell deeply into debt, developed a serious drug problem, and struggled to compose music for the rest of his life. The legal system had exonerated him, but the public had not—and still hasn’t, by and large.

Jackson’s memory and his living relatives deserve justice in the fullest sense. Other publications and media outlets sometimes have told his story accurately, but not loudly or frequently enough to drown out the lies. This article is an effort to tell the truth about a great—and greatly misunderstood—man. . . .

https://www.theobjectivestandard.com/2020/02/justice-for-michael-jackson/

Last edited:
BadAlicia;4282735 said:
what is interesting it is first thing that comes out once you write their names.

Just fyi, Google search results aren’t the same for everyone. They’re personalized according to your search habits, so the more you google for MJ information, the more MJ info Google will show you. Search results also differ by the user’s location and a few other factors. :)

More info: https://searchengineland.com/guide/seo/personalization-search-engine-rankings

MICHAEL JACKSON was something of an enigma in the music industry, but in unsurfaced behind the scenes footage fans can finally see what the star was like when he wasn't performing for the cameras.

Michael Jackson was one of the most successful singers who ever lived. The Thriller hitmaker was in and out of the gossip columns for various controversial reasons over the course of his career, but it was unusual to ever see the star behaving candidly. Some unearthed videos reveal him at his most unexpectedly hilarious

The star died over 10 years ago, at the tender age of 50, due to cardiac arrest, and it was right before he was due to perform on a new concert tour to celebrate his landmark birthday.

Some years before his death, the King of Pop agreed to film a documentary about his music career for Sky One.

In some outtakes, Jackson shows his funny side, as he jokes with the filming crew on-set.

The star can be seen attempting to explain why he doesn’t like to perform on the road, but it doesn’t go down well.

“The record company like for you to support your album and go on tour,” Jackson begins. “And I don’t like to.

“I mean I don’t know how they enjoy the show because it’s festival seating.

“They don’t want chairs, even if there were they would just stand on them.

“So we have a tent on the side, and there’s usually like 5000 faints every night.”

But as the star continues to describe the dreary atmosphere, one of the crew - possibly the director - steps in to try and coax his subject into changing the tone.

“We have all these doctors and paramedics…” Jackson says before being cut off.

Barely taking in what the crew member wants, the singer takes back control of the situation easily.

“Ok I’ll make it positive then, but you know the truth,” he says slyly.”

The director calls action and Jackson stares at the camera intently.

Changing tack, the superstar says: “I love to tour,” prompting an outcry from the rest of the crew.

Everyone bursts into laughter, and even Jackson can’t help but double over at the absurdity of the moment.

Flocking to the comments on YouTube, viewers shared their thoughts on the video, along with other behind the scenes footage of Jackson throughout moments of his career.

“Omg I died when he was saying all these things about the tour and when people ask him to be more positive, he started off with ‘I love tours’,” one person commented.

Another wrote: “This was the best thing ever lol I didn't know it was possible to love him more.”
“Michael is a DIVA! I luv him even more now,” a third declared.

While a fourth noted: “Michael Jackson was such a character.”

“This is the FUNNIEST thing I've seen in a while,” a fifth said.

And another added: “Wow I have never seen this side to him I like it but I wish he was still alive R.I.P love the vid I give it a thumbs up,” followed by: “I can’t BREATHE I didn’t realise how funny the legend is.

[video=youtube;VbBhTpxQDUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbBhTpxQDUA&feature=emb_title[/video]

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...ind-the-scenes-rare-filming-video-watch-songs

MICHAEL JACKSON declared the "truth will prevail" in an unearthed interview that saw him address the "sensationalism" he faced regularly in the media.

Michael Jackson once gave an incredibly candid interview about his life in the spotlight and how he dealt with the tabloid rumours, claiming the “truth will prevail”. The singer shot to fame originally with his brothers in the band The Jackson 5, but quickly became the most popular singer out of the group and his solo career far overtook the rest of the family. Plagued by controversy through most of his life, Jackson’s response was clear.

Michael Jackson was doing a rare and lengthy interview with Fox News journalist Geraldo Rivera when the topic turned to his family and the impact of the constant press.

The conversation was filmed in 2005 when Rivera began quizzing him on his relationship with his family, the other Jacksons - who are singers and celebrities in their own right.

“The way you and Randy react [to each other] I love watching it. Who’s top dog?” Rivera teased, as Jackson instantly answered Randy.

Jackson easily said he trusted his family, and when asked if “blood was thicker than water”, the Thriller star insisted it was how he and all his brothers and sisters had been brought up.

“Blood’s everything to us” he went on. “It’s what we were taught, value, we’re friends at the end of the day, which is important, despite what the public and press say, we’re friends.”

Asked if the family were still close-knit despite the tabloids, Jackson quickly said: “That’s sensationalism,” before going on to share how he dealt with it.

“It’s not true, it’s like looking at a fictitious movie, because it’s fiction,” the singer answered simply. “It’s like watching science fiction it’s not true. And I know myself. And it’s sad when other people have to read those things and they believe it.

In terms of whether he’d have held a press conference every week though, Jackson considered: “No, because I know eventually the truth will prevail, and I’m about truth you know?

“Does it affect me? Yes but you know I’m very strong, I’ve got rhinoceros skin. But at the same time I’m human, so anything can hurt like that, but I’m very strong, and I just don’t like people hearing about such false information.

“The bigger the star the bigger the target, I’m not saying I’m a super duper star I’m not saying that. People come at celebrities, we’re targets. Truth always prevails, and I believe in that, I believe in God,” the star added.

Another video of Jackson showed him at his best, teasing the crew and having a laugh while filming a documentary for Sky years ago.

The star was talking about why he didn’t like to perform on the road, when the director urges him to be more positive for the film.

“The record company like for you to support your album and go on tour,” the King of Pop said. “And I don’t like to.

“I mean I don’t know how they enjoy the show because it’s festival seating.

[video=youtube;SQ6ddlkgpPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6ddlkgpPU&feature=emb_title[/video]

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...bloid-stories-fiction-king-of-pop-video-watch

MICHAEL JACKSON and The Beatles star George Harrison previously got together for a special Roundtable interview for the BBC which was unearthed 40 years later.

Michael Jackson’s level of success and fame is one matched only be a select few artists throughout musical history, one of which being The Beatles. In a special appearance for the BBC back in 1979, the King of Pop got together with guitarist George Harrison for an instalment of a series called Roundtable.

The broadcaster cut the 90-minute interview down, using just a short clip, but it has since been rediscovered.

Last year, 40 years after it was recorded, the interview was found and restored.

In the recording, the two stars could be heard chatting about music and their respective careers.

The topic soon turned to songwriting, with Jackson asking: “Let me ask you a question, did you guys always write your own stuff from the beginning?”
“Well, John [Lennon] and Paul [McCartney] wrote right from before we ever made a record,” Harrison replied.

“How did you manage that?” the Bad hitmaker marvelled.

“I don’t know,” the Beatle said, quipping: “They were clever little fellows.”

As the conversation progressed, however, Harrison made a frank admission.

As they talked about songs, their own and other artists’, giving their reviews, he confessed he didn’t known what constituted a hit song anymore.

“To tell you the truth,” he admitted lightheartedly. “I’ve no idea what is a hit and what isn’t a hit these days.”

In the interview, the pair also discussed their shared love of rock ’n’ roll icons Buddy Holly and Little Richard.

Roundtable was presented by David ‘Kid’ Jensen at the time and he later recalled the episode with Jackson and Harrison fondly.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...n-George-Harrison-The-Beatles-interview-songs

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MJFam?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MJFam</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJackson?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MichaelJackson</a><a href="https://t.co/weC7ScjwtU">https://t.co/weC7ScjwtU</a></p>&mdash; TatumMarie (@TatumMari) <a href="https://twitter.com/TatumMari/status/1246644803196108800?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you <a href="https://twitter.com/Simon_Burnton?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Simon_Burnton</a> for this article &#128079;&#127998;<br>In the past I’ve mentioned MJ’s positive aura to people asking what it was truly like to be around him. Many others that knew him well say the same exact thing. It’s nice to read another account of it being reported <a href="https://twitter.com/guardian?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@guardian</a> <a href="https://t.co/nQBmiHSmZy">https://t.co/nQBmiHSmZy</a></p>&mdash; Taj Jackson (@tajjackson3) <a href="https://twitter.com/tajjackson3/status/1249052607227682816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">'He had an aura about him': the day Michael Jackson visited Fulham <a href="https://t.co/po7O2yGtkG">https://t.co/po7O2yGtkG</a></p>&mdash; The Guardian (@guardian) <a href="https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1248664838567538691?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TV tip for Germany: Vincent Paterson (among others) talks about the year 1983.

Vorhang auf &#8211; Das Jahr 1983
rbb &#8226; Samstag, 25. April &#8226; 00:05 - 01:35

Kann sich noch jemand an den größten deutschen Hit des Jahres 1983 erinnern? Es war Nena mit "99 Luftballons". Sogar in den amerikanischen Charts belegte sie mit diesem Lied den 1. Platz. Die Schlager-Erfolgswelle ebbte langsam ab, dafür machte die Neue Deutsche Welle von sich reden. Peter Schilling mit seinem "Major Tom" dürfte den meisten noch in den Ohren klingen. Überhaupt war alles, was mit Weltraum zu tun hatte, im Jahre 1983 stark vertreten. Ob es daran lag, dass als erster Bundesdeutscher Ulf Merbold seinen Weg ins All antrat? Der Skandal um die gefälschten Hitlertagebücher erregte ganz Deutschland. Michael Jackson gelang mit "Beat it" der weltweite Durchbruch. In der DDR ging es dank des Milliardenkredits von Franz Josef Strauß wirtschaftlich bergauf, und Udo Lindenberg eroberte im Palast der Republik in Berlin seine ostdeutschen Fans. Zeitzeugen wie die Sängerin Ulla Meinecke, RBB-Tatortkommissar Dominic Raacke und Hollywoods erfolgreichster Choreograph Vincent Paterson, der Michael Jacksons Tanzstil entscheidend prägte, lassen in Interviews das Jahr 1983 Revue passieren.
Die Schauspielerin Franziska Troegner präsentiert überraschende und unterhaltsame 90 Minuten "Vorhang auf ... Das Jahr 1983". Damals spielte sie in dem erfolgreichen Kinderfilm "Moritz in der Litfasssäule" - zurzeit ist sie mit "Charlie und die Schokoladenfabrik" im Kino zu sehen.

https://www.teleboy.ch/programm/rbb/14204645/vorhang-auf

Thanks, @MJBlaueBlume. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="de" dir="ltr">&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533; Samstag, 25. April &#8226; 00:05 - 01:35 <a href="https://t.co/U0OI9RAcmE">https://t.co/U0OI9RAcmE</a><br>&quot;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MichaelJackson?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MichaelJackson</a> gelang mit &quot;Beat it&quot; der weltweite Durchbruch.&quot;</p>&mdash; Blue flower (@MJBlaueBlume) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJBlaueBlume/status/1250382445167423488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mumbai Police Use Excerpt From Michael Jackson's Song To Raise Awareness On COVID-19

Mumbai police shared a short clip of pop star Michael Jackson's popular song 'Dangerous' to aware people about the importance of staying at home amid COVID-19.

With coronavirus lockdown in place, the Mumbai police department has been leading the pack in the country when it comes to aware people about the coronavirus outbreak. Mumbai police are getting creative day by day using its social media handle to raise awareness about the deadly disease. Recently, the Mumbai police shared a short clip of pop star Michael Jackson's popular song 'Dangerous' to aware people of the importance of staying at home amid the global pandemic that has been raging havoc across the world.

The Mumbai police in its post suggested that 'moonwalking' on the streets during coronavirus lockdown can be 'dangerous', referring to the original lyrics using an excerpt from the music video. The post has garnered over 9,600 views since it was uploaded on Twitter this afternoon. Netizens have been flooding the timeline with appreciations for the department with some sharing their own memes.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">‘Moonwalking’ on the streets during <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/lockdown?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#lockdown</a> is: <a href="https://t.co/AutVEyt2px">pic.twitter.com/AutVEyt2px</a></p>&mdash; Mumbai Police (@MumbaiPolice) <a href="https://twitter.com/MumbaiPolice/status/1251769939087761409?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 19, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Full article: https://www.republicworld.com/entertainment-news/whats-viral/mumbai-police-uses-excerpt-from-jacksons-song-to-raise-awareness.html

Today is Earth Day! A great opportunity to post some Earth Song related stuff on your social media channels, so that hopefully next year MJ will make the top spot in lists like this one. I mean, number 7? Come on! :)

Best Earth Day Songs: 20 Tracks That Make The World A Better Place

The best Earth Day songs range from political warnings to songs written in celebration of our planet’s beauty.
Published on April 22, 2020

Every year, on 22 April, Earth Day marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement. Songs about the natural world, including those by Woody Guthrie, have been around since the 40s, and many of the greatest songwriters have penned compositions about the planet on which we all exist. The best Earth Day songs, then, reflect not only the ways in which our planet has changed over the years, but also the ways in which we have expressed concern over its survival.

To mark Earth Day, we have selected our 20 best environmental songs. Though we weren’t able to squeeze in all our favourites – and had to leave out wonderful songs by Ken Boothe (‘The Earth Dies Screaming’), The Byrds (‘Hungry Planet’), Miley Cyrus (‘Wake Up America’), Bo Diddley (‘Pollution’), Peter Gabriel (‘Here Comes The Flood’) and Country Joe McDonald (‘Save The Whales’) – we scoured reggae, jazz, country, folk, soul, rock and pop for songs both disturbing and inspiring.

Here’s to this amazing endangered world of ours. Think we’ve missed any of your best Earth Day songs? Let us know in the comments section, below.

20: John Martyn: ‘One World’ (1977)

The song ‘One World’ was recorded in a Berkshire barn. John Martyn remembered it as a time when the adjoining farmhouse was filled with Jamaican friends and their children who were in England to visit Island Records boss Chris Blackwell. The title track of his masterpiece album features one of Martyn’s greatest vocal performances, against his echo-saturated guitar. The song has a beautiful simplicity, as he sings, “It’s one world, like it or not/It’s one world, believe it or not/It’s one world.” Nearly three decades later, when Martyn was reflecting on the song, he believed he had captured a zeitgeist moment. “‘One World’ has now become a phrase used all over the television,” Martyn said. “Took ’em a long time to f__king realise. I don’t think many people knew the expression before then.” The tune is superb – a perfect expression of how we are all individual and universal at the same time.

19: U2: ‘Indian Summer Sky’ (2010)

Bono’s longing for spiritual renewal was reflected in his song ‘Indian Summer Sky’, which is about the desire to return to a more organic world (“the seasons change, and so do I”). Bono wrote the song in New York and said he was trying to convey “a sense of spirit trapped in a concrete jungle”. Sixteen years earlier, U2 had allowed a live version of their song ‘Until The End Of The World’ to appear on the album Alternative NRG, which raised funds for Greenpeace. U2 were joined by other bands, such as Sonic Youth and UB40, on an album recorded live with a solar-powered mobile facility. Guitarist Brian May of Queen contributed the song ‘New Damage’.

18: Dar Williams: ‘Go To The Woods’ (2012)

Since the dawn of industrialisation, poets and songwriters have been extolling the spiritual and mental health benefits of getting out into nature. Dar Williams wrote the powerful song ‘Go To The Woods’ in 2012, a composition that expressed her fears that the green spaces of the world are disappearing. Touring musician Williams devotes her spare time to environmental causes, not least her Give Bees A Camp project, which combines concerts and planting bee-friendly gardens for schoolchildren. Williams has also covered Joe Strummer’s rousing song ‘Johnny Appleseed’ (“If you’re after getting the honey, hey/Then you don’t go killing all the bees”).

17: Johnny Cash: ‘Don’t Go Near The Water’ (1974)

On his 1974 album Ragged Old Flag, country singer Johnny Cash addressed the political issue of the environment, through the device of a nostalgic song in which a father warns his son that they cannot eat the fish they are trying to catch. Though the acoustic mood of the song is upbeat – Cash was joined on guitar by Carl Perkins – the lyrics are bleak: “There was a time the air was clean/And you could see forever ’cross the plains/The wind was sweet as honey/And no one had ever heard of acid rain.”

16: The Beach Boys: ‘Don’t Go Near The Water’ (1971)

Mike Love, who co-wrote with Al Jardine a different song also called ‘Don’t Go Near The Water’, said he hated the ignorance that made people “violate the laws of nature”. Love and Jardine were encouraged by The Beach Boys’ then manager, Jack Rieley, to write an environmental song for the band, and the result was the anti-pollution plea that became the opening track for their 1971 album, Surf’s Up. The prescient lyrics about man poisoning the sea were sung by Brian Wilson and the band. The downbeat mood of the song was heightened by the eerie Moog synthesiser playing of Daryl Dragon.

15: Woody Guthrie: ‘Talking Dust Bowl Blues’ (1940)

Photographs of the dust storms that wrecked southern America in the 30s are still shocking, and the devastation and migration they caused prompted Woody Guthrie to write his brilliant album Dust Bowl Ballads. “I met millions of good folks trying to hang on and to stay alive with the dust cutting down every hope,” said Guthrie, who made poetry out of despair.

14: Tom Lehrer: ‘Pollution’ (1965)

In ‘Pollution’, the brilliant satirical singer-songwriter Tom Lehrer warned visitors to America about the environmental problems of his home country, and the way his nation’s air and water was being blighted. A short film of ‘Pollution’, featuring a cartoon of a bird playing the piano at a rubbish dump, combined with scenes of industrial contamination across the States, was made for the US Communicable Disease Centre. The bitingly funny lyrics included the verse “Just go out for a breath of air/And you’ll be ready for Medicare/The city streets are really quite a thrill/If the hoods don’t get you, the monoxide will”.

13: Randy Newman: ‘Burn On’ (1970)

Randy Newman was poleaxed by back pain and lying on the floor in 1969 when a television news item came on about the heavily polluted Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio, literally catching fire once again, because it was filled with oil waste. His disturbing song, sung at a maudlin pace with slow piano, is full of potent imagery: “The Cuyahoga River goes smokin’ through my dreams/Burn on, big river/Burn on.”

12: Rush: ‘The Trees’

Rush lyricist Neil Peart once commissioned some drum makers to build him an entire kit from a 1,500-year old piece of Romanian wood. Peart recalled that he wrote his song ‘The Trees’ in “about five minutes”, after seeing a cartoon picture of trees “carrying on like fools”. He said: “I thought, What if trees acted like people? So I saw the song as a cartoon, really, and wrote it that way.”

11: Queen: ‘Is This The World We Created…?’ (1984)

Queen singer Freddie Mercury said that he sometimes felt helpless about the state of the planet and that was the reason he and Brian May penned ‘Is This the World We Created…?’. Mercury went on to explain that he and May “were thinking about poverty going on all around the world and that’s why the track came about… it was a way of showing that I can do my bit”. The song, which reflected the suffering of children, came at the time of natural disasters in Africa which had resulted in terrible famine. Queen performed the song, which was on their 1984 album, The Works, as the encore to their famous Live Aid show in 1985.

10: John Prine: ‘Paradise’ (1971)

In 1971, singer-songwriter John Prine wrote his marvellous song ‘Paradise’ about the environmental damages of strip mining and the destruction it wreaked on small communities. ‘Paradise’, which was also known as ‘Mr Peabody’s Coal Train’, was about was about Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, the town his parents had grown up in – and how it was ruined by a coal company. Among the poetic, moving verses is: “Then the coal company came with the world’s largest shovel/And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land/Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken/Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.”

9: Jackson Browne: ‘Before The Deluge’ (1974)

On his 1974 environmental song, ‘Before The Deluge’, Jackson Browne told the story of his generation’s ideals and illusion, and their fall from grace. The song was eerily prophetic, with its stark warning: “Some of them were angry/At the way the earth was abused/By the men who learned how to forge her beauty into power/And they struggled to protect her from them/Only to be confused/By the magnitude of her fury in the final hour.” The song was from the album Late For The Sky, which featured Jai Winding, the son of Verve Records jazz trombonist Kai Winding, on keyboards. Versions have been recorded by musicians as diverse as Joan Baez and Christy Moore.

8: Cat Stevens: ‘Where Do The Children Play?’ (1970)

Cat Stevens wrote his song ‘Where Do The Children Play?’ for the 1970 album Tea For The Tillerman. The song reflects many of his concerns about poverty, war, ecological disaster, pollution and the future of the human race. Stevens became a Muslim later in the decade and is now known as Yusuf Islam. He remains committed to what he called “the harmony and balance of the universe”, and in May 2019 gave his support to Europe’s first green mosque, in Cambridge, which was clad in solar panels and surrounded by apple trees.

7: Michael Jackson: ‘Earth Song’ (1995)

‘Earth Song’, which appeared on the album HIStory: Past, Present And Future, Book I, was the best of Michael Jackson’s socially conscious songs. This sweeping track about the environment and welfare was a No.1 hit in the UK and went on to receive a Grammy nomination. It was notable for its powerful video, too.

6: Bob Marley: ‘Sun Is Shining’ (1978)

Bob Marley died in 1981, but his music continues to inspire people who love protest songs and care about the environment. In 2019, for example, Chicago’s The Rock And Roll Playhouse held an Earth Day celebration concert featuring tunes by the great master of reggae. Marley’s gorgeous song ‘Sun Is Shining’ was first recorded in the 60s and re-recorded for the album Kaya in 1978. Island Records boss Chris Blackwell later recalled, “The original version of ‘Sun Is Shining’ was produced by Lee Perry. I loved his production, which was very sparse. But the version we re-recorded for Kaya has a great atmosphere, too. We tried to reflect the essence of the song, which is saying the sun is shining but don’t forget that people are suffering too.”

5: Joni Mitchell: ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ (1971)

“I wrote ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ on my first trip to Hawaii,” Mitchell explained in 1996. “I took a taxi to the hotel and when I woke up the next morning, I threw back the curtains and saw these beautiful green mountains in the distance. Then, I looked down and there was a parking lot as far as the eye could see, and it broke my heart… this blight on paradise. That’s when I sat down and wrote the song.” Mitchell’s mesmerising song has been covered by Bob Dylan, Counting Crows and Janet Jackson.

4: Bob Dylan: ‘A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall’ (1962)

Bob Dylan was only 21 when he wrote the beautiful lyrics, such as “I’ve stumbled on the side of 12 misty mountains”, in ‘A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall’, the iconic protest song in which he warned of impending apocalypse. In 2009, before a United Nations climate change conference began in Denmark, the UN Environment Programme released a rare live recording of Dylan performing his song-poem set to dramatic photographs of shrunken ice caps, barren landscapes and devastated lives.

3: Neil Young: ‘After The Gold Rush’ (1970)

The mysterious, multi-layered ‘After The Gold Rush’ is full of different themes and meanings, but there is one thing at the heart of the song: “‘After The Gold Rush’ is an environmental song,” said Neil Young. Dolly Parton has recorded several versions it. The line “Look at Mother Nature on the run in the 1970s” is memorably chilling, and has been updated by Young, who now sings “in the 21st Century” in concert. Young also wrote ‘Be The Rain’, a song that calls on the big oil companies to stop ruining the planet. In 1985, Willie Nelson, Young and John Mellencamp set up Farm Aid to increase awareness about the importance of family farms. Young has remained a committed environmental activist and in 2018 he criticised President Trump for his denial of climate-change science.

2: Marvin Gaye: ‘Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)’ (1971)

The beautiful voice of Marvin Gaye rings out in despair as he sings “Where did all the blue skies go?” on his Motown classic ‘Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)’, which was written for his 1971 album, What’s Going On. At the time, Motown boss Berry Gordy had not heard the word “ecology”, and Gaye’s masterful song may have been one of the first ever to deal with the mercury poisoning of fish. This is a sorrowful masterpiece and, given what we now know has happened to the environment in the past half-century, seems a moment of musical genius and foresight.

1: Louis Armstrong: ‘What A Wonderful World’ (1967)

‘What A Wonderful World’ is one of the most uplifting, life-affirming songs of all time – and all because of the heartfelt warmth in the singing of the jazz legend Louis Armstrong, a man who was already in failing health when he recorded the two-minute gem, written by Bob Thiele and George Weiss. Lush instrumentation introduces a magnificent song that opens with such memorable lines: “I see trees of green, red roses, too/I see them bloom for me and you/And I think to myself: What a wonderful world.”

It’s good to end on a note of positivity – so treat yourself on Earth Day and savour again the beauty of Satchmo’s hit.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-earth-day-songs/

Taj Jackson - Michael’s nephew - has revealed that the King of Pop was a movie buff and even wanted to play the role of 'Spider-Man' in a Marvel film, but his attempt to buy the company was shut down.

As per reports, the company filed for bankruptcy in 1996 and merged with the now-defunct ToyBiz in 1998. It was later acquired by Disney at the cost of $4 billion in 2009.

Michael Jackson reportedly was interested in buying the Marvel Entertainment in collaboration with Stan Lee.

“He wanted to [buy Marvel] with Stan Lee, and they had been talking and discussing that. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. They were shut down from doing that. I don't know the reasons why, but they were adamantly in the process of doing that," Taj claimed during an interaction with Popcorned Planet.

At San Diego Comic-Con in 2009, Marvel’s legendary comic book writer Stan Lee revealed that Michael wanted to produce and possibly star in the very first 'Spider-Man' movie.

During the interview, Taj admitted that his uncle was a huge marvel fan and always wanted to play the role of Peter Parker.
Following Michael’s death in 2009, Lee opened up about Jackson wanting feature as the web-swinging superhero. “I'm not sure whether he just wanted to produce it or wanted to play the role. Our conversation never got that far along,” he said.

King Of Pop, Michael Jackson, was a legend whose legacy still lives on. He was one of the most prominent figures in the history of music. Some of his best hits include 'Dangerous', 'Rock With You' and 'Remember The Time'.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/285330-michael-jackson-wanted-to-buy-marvel-entertainment

I'll omit the part of this article about TE Ross (after her anti-MJ acting role). The part about Threatened and the Rod SERLING 'rap' is interesting though.
(not Rod Sterling - I wish journalists would CHECK FACTS). Also, I don't think the 'rap' on 'Threatened' came from 'many' episodes. It seems mainly related to the intro to the episode called 'It's a Good Life', which starts: 'Tonight's story on The Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction'. ) But there may be another rap....?

Hitting &#8216;The High Note&#8217;: Producer Rodney Jerkins on Working With Tracee Ellis Ross, What Michael Jackson Taught Him

Having worked with some of the biggest names in pop and R&B, Jerkins thinks back to his experience with Michael Jackson on the &#8220;Invincible&#8221; album in 2000 and 2001 as a key moment in his own career in music. &#8220;He challenged me to dig deeper,&#8221; Jerkins reflects. &#8220;Michael [would say], &#8216;Go to the junkyard and hit on things and make sounds.&#8217; There were a lot of 3 and 4 a.m. phone calls. &#8216;I need you to go to the studio for me.&#8217; I&#8217;d be super tired. I would play songs over the phone and he&#8217;d say, &#8216;I need you to pan the hi-hats differently.&#8217; Genius. How did he hear that over the phone?&#8221;

Jackson had a way of testing those who worked with him. Jerkins explains: &#8220;We were finishing the album and Michael wanted a song that could come out at Halloween. He had &#8216;Thriller,&#8217; he had &#8216;Ghost&#8217; &#8212; he always wanted spooky songs. He loved the track for the song &#8216;Threatened,&#8217; only he said, &#8216;It&#8217;s missing Rod Sterling. I need Rod Sterling to rap on this.&#8217; At first I&#8217;m thinking, &#8216;Is there some new rapper called Rod Sterling that I don&#8217;t know about?&#8217; I said, &#8216;Elaborate, Michael.&#8217; He said, &#8216;You know Rod Sterling from &#8220;The Twilight Zone.&#8221;&#8216; Five days later he says &#8216;Did you get Rod Sterling to rap on it yet?&#8217; I said, &#8216;Michael, Rod Sterling is dead.&#8217; He said, &#8216;Yeah but I still need him to rap on it.'&#8221;

Jerkins obtained VHS copies of every &#8216;Twilight Zone&#8217; episode, deconstructed Rod Sterling&#8217;s voiceovers and built, with the help of a rapper, an eight-bar rap using the vocal snippets.

Jerkins continues: &#8220;Michael comes back in the studio and again, he says, &#8216;Did you ever get Rod Sterling to rap?&#8217; I said &#8216;As a matter of fact I did.&#8217; He looked at me as if to say, &#8216;You&#8217;re lying. There&#8217;s no way. I was just playing around with you!&#8217; I pressed play and the joy that came on his face. It looked like he wanted to cry. He was so amazed that we got that done and that I took on that challenge and he loved it. It was sad it never came out [as a single] as he had big plans for that song.&#8221;

You could say the same of Jerkins&#8217; future goals in the movie business. &#8220;I wanna go big,&#8221; he says. &#8220;Give me &#8216;Avatar 2&#8217; or &#8216;Star Wars&#8217; or &#8216;The Avengers.&#8217; That&#8217;s what I would want.&#8221;

https://variety.com/2020/music/news...tracee-ellis-ross-michael-jackson-1234615892/

[video=youtube;krN6DF3I3qo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krN6DF3I3qo[/video]

[video=youtube;TcPy6YFUMXo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPy6YFUMXo[/video]

Last edited:
Magic Johnson Appeared On Michael Jackson&#8217;s &#8220;Remember The Time&#8221;
By Carson Mack - May 29, 2020 21:10

Everyone remembers the popular song &#8220;Remember The Time&#8221; by the King of Pop. But, do you remember the stars that appeared on the music video? The scene was set in Egypt and featured appearances from Magic Johnson, Eddie Murphy, Iman, The Pharcyde, Tom Lister, and Wylie Draper! Magic played the Herald in the short film. He recalls the great memories of acting alongside Michael Jackson by saying, &#8220;That video was so funny. Michael Jackson is the most detail-oriented cat, most professional dude that you would ever want to work with.&#8221; Check out the short film below!

https://www.talkbasket.net/90764-magic-johnson-appeared-on-michael-jacksons-remember-the-time

Why Michael Jackson’s Naomi Campbell Video Got Banned in South Africa
Matthew Trzcinski
May 31, 2020

Michael Jackson gave the world multiple iconic music videos. The video for “In the Closet” might not be as famous as the clips for “Beat It,” “Thriller,” or “Billie Jean.” However, it remains one of his most interesting videos.

Part of what makes the video notable is that it co-stars Naomi Campbell, one of the most famous fashion models of all time. In the video, Jackson and Campbell portray a relationship through dance. Although the clip garnered a positive reception from fans, it was actually banned in South Africa.

The history behind the ‘In the Closet’ video

Jackson originally wanted his song “In the Closet” to be a duet with Madonna. Madonna wanted the song to feature her and Jackson dressed in drag. This is because she wanted the video to “live up to” the song’s title, even though the track itself has absolutely nothing to do with the LGBTQ community. Jackson was not a fan of this idea and it was canned.

To create the final video, Jackson collaborated with Herb Ritts, a famous photographer. After photographing many celebrities for major magazines Vanity Fair and Vogue, Ritts had become a major music video director. Prior to working with Jackson, Ritts directed the iconic clips for Madonna’s “Cherish” and Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game.”

Herb Ritts’ idea for the video

Ritts came up with another idea for the video. Ritts said the clip should feature Jackson dancing with Campbell, who was an extremely famous model at that point. His idea was used for the finished video. According to Jacksons: Number Ones, Jackson and Campbell were playful with each other on the set. The duo even got into a food fight with whipped cream. Imagine how much attention the pair would have gotten if there was footage of that!

The finished clip is similar to Ritss’ aforementioned videos in that it’s sensual and monochrome. However, it isn’t as complex as Jackson’s videos for “Black or White” or “Bad.” Ritts was going for simplicity. According to Michael Jackson Style, Ritts said “It’s really not about outrageous sets and 50 dancers this time. It’s really about bringing Michael’s energy out in a new way.”

The clips’ reception and Naomi Campbell’s memories of Michael Jackson

HAPPY BIRTHDAY. ALWAYS IN MY HEART. MISS YOU @MICHAELJACKSON. #FOREVERKINGOFPOP #BLACKEXCELLENCE #KING #TBT
A post shared by Naomi Campbell (@naomi) on Aug 29, 2019 at 7:40pm PDT
Naomi Campbell’s post honoring Michael Jackson

The clip was banned in South Africa for being too sexually provocative. The clip doesn’t include any nudity, but it does depict Campbell and Jackson dancing very close to each in a manner which is suggestive — albeit not too risque for modern television. The video’s ban just goes to show how times have changed since the early 1990s!

Regardless of the video’s reception in South Africa, Campbell had a positive view of Jackson. In 2019, she posted that she missed him on Instagram. She also said he would always remain in her heart.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/why-michael-jacksons-naomi-campbell-video-got-banned-in-south-africa.html/

A whole host of Michael Jackson hits were mentioned, including ones more appropriate for the Black Lives Matter movement like 'They Don't Care About Us' and 'Heal The World'

On the evening of Wednesday, June 3, a Michael Jackson fan account posted on Twitter, "On this day in 1988, Michael Jackson became the first artist ever to have 3 albums with U.S sales of more than 6 million copies each. What are your favorite tracks from these 3 timeless albums?" Another Twitter user called JayVersace also asked, "What’s y’all fav MJ songs. Top 3."

This sparked a wave of nostalgia and outpouring of love for Michael Jackson and his classic songs. Although the 50-year-old singer had his fair share of controversy during his lifetime and plenty more criticism leveled at him after his death for allegedly molesting young boys, it's clear that his music still remains a treasured part of many people's lives. Plenty of fans started posting their favorite Michael Jackson songs, and the sheer amount of posts caused his fiery song 'Dirty Diana' to start trending on Twitter, along with a host of others, like 'They Don’t Care About Us', 'Billie Jean', 'Remember The Time', 'Smooth Criminal', 'Human Nature', 'Earth Song', 'Heal The World', 'Man In The Mirror' and many more vintage hits.

Dirty Diana' received a ton of love on Twitter with one fan saying, "I mean talk about a man not being afraid to explore different genres, and executing it ... FLAWLESSLY. Dirty Diana is a masterpiece." Other fans clearly agreed, saying, "Dirty Diana hands down one of the best Michael Jackson songs." Another Twitter user noted, "I love the story about how MJ took 'Dirty Diana' out of the concert Princess Di was attending out of respect... to have her [Princess Diana] ask him if he was playing it. When he said "NO" she said, "that is my favorite song!" But there were plenty more MJ songs getting recognized on Twitter, as people paid tribute to the man who was known worldwide as the King of Pop.

One fan posted, "The moment when three Michael Jackson songs are trending on the same day when the Jackson 5 was also trending in the UK - 'Human Nature', 'Dirty Diana', 'Remember the Time'." Another MJ diehard said, "We’ve got 'Smooth Criminal', 'Billie Jean', 'Remember The time', 'Dirty Diana', 'Rock With You' and 'Human Nature' trending all in one night?! TURN THAT S*** UP." Another MJ chart account noted, "They Don’t Care About Us by Michael Jackson has gained 505,548 views past 24hrs. Followed by Billie Jean with 416,170 views & Smooth Criminal with 400,941 views. #KingOfPop."

However, plenty more users had a different MJ song in mind. "Dirty Diana? How about 'They Don’t Care About Us'! #BlackLivesMatter," wrote a fan. Another fan concluded, "Play Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us" and "Heal the World" today. The media has constantly tried to ruin his numbers and now is the perfect time to support the man who endlessly supported the community. &#9825;" We couldn't agree more, especially considering the current climate we're living in right now, there really is a perfect Michael Jackson song for every occasion.

https://meaww.com/best-michael-jack...te-hit-dirty-diana-tops-twitter-poll-trending

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">106 000 tweets for Remember the Time alone<br><br>Billie Jean Smooth Criminal Man in the Mirror Rock with you are also trending <br><br>I can hear heads of certain obsessed haters exploding <a href="https://t.co/7AHajEVYac">pic.twitter.com/7AHajEVYac</a></p>&mdash; Believe the victims of false accusers (@Hammertonhal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Hammertonhal/status/1268416132597321728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jeff Lowe Says He&#8217;s Been 'Offered Michael Jackson&#8217;s Elephants' for His New Zoo

Jeff Lowe, one of the many memorable stars of Netflix's docu-series Tiger King, has 120 days to vacate the G.W. Exotic Animal Memorial Park in Wynnewood, Oklahoma &#8212; the private zoo previously owned by Joseph Maldonado-Passage, better known as "Joe Exotic."

..."Please don&#8217;t worry about our animals. As you saw on the Netflix documentary, I have been building the greatest Tiger Park the world has ever seen. Thanks to our loyal fans and customers, and the amazing people who work at the zoo, the new Tiger King Park is opening in Thackerville, Oklahoma this September, directly adjacent to the World&#8217;s Largest Casino, WinStar World Casino and Resort," wrote Lowe.

Among the expected bevy of big cats, Lowe said the Tiger King Park will house other animals as well. According to him, the new park has been offered some interesting residents.

"We're negotiating for giraffes right now, possibly Michael Jackson's elephants," Lowe shared.

Lowe said that he has been "offered Michael Jackson's elephants", which he says are currently being cared for by a man in Oregon after a stay at Florida's Jacksonville Zoo.

"They were at the Jacksonville Zoo in Florida for a while. And he contacted us. The lease ran out with the Jacksonville Zoo, and he was looking for a place to rehome them," Lowe added about the situation.

https://people.com/pets/tiger-king-jeff-lowe-offered-michael-jackson-elephants/

I just stumbled over a film review for a documentary that came out in December, called &#8220;No Lye: An American Beauty Story&#8221;. The article itself doesn&#8217;t mention MJ, but they posted a short video clip from the movie which includes a snippet of the Pepsi Street commercial. Watch it here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jd9thxQ90r0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It also says:

&#8220;Although it is a documentary, it was actually entertaining, especially with the music and television clips and read along with quotes and snippets. (Anything showing The Jackson 5 and Good Times is okay with me.)&#8221;

So, there seems to be some MJ in there. Has anyone here seen it? :)

Read the full review here:

https://eurweb.com/2019/12/03/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-no-lye-an-american-beauty-story-gives-excellent-history-lesson/

Spike Lee: 'Race relations today are a direct response to having a black president'
Prior to the release of Da 5 Bloods, the director takes questions from readers, film-makers and politicians about George Floyd, Covid-19 and the worst thing about actors

Jackson, Tyson, Jordan: which Michael has been the greatest influence on you?

I&#8217;ve worked with all three and all three I consider good friends. I&#8217;ve been blessed.

Did you ever have political conversations with Michael Jackson? Was he knowledgeable and engaged about such things beyond a surface level?

Oh, Michael knew what was going on! Look at that film we made in Brazil: They Don&#8217;t Care About Us. It was an anthem when he was alive; it&#8217;s even more of one now. We had some deep conversations. He was very aware. All you have to do is listen to the music and read the lyrics. As a grown man, he&#8217;s not talking about ABC. He&#8217;s saying whole different stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...a-direct-response-to-having-a-black-president

myosotis;4293697 said:
Oh, Michael knew what was going on! Look at that film we made in Brazil: They Don’t Care About Us. It was an anthem when he was alive; it’s even more of one now. We had some deep conversations. He was very aware. All you have to do is listen to the music and read the lyrics. As a grown man, he’s not talking about ABC. He’s saying whole different stuff.

There’s more real MJ in this one paragraph than in all of the British media in recent years. Love Spike Lee. :cool:(y)

Iconic 'Ed Sullivan' performances of Jackson 5, Supremes, Marvin Gaye finally go online

We’ve got a reeeally big show headed to the internet.

A massive trove of digitally restored clips from “The Ed Sullivan Show” will arrive online during the next three years, reviving more than 10,000 long-buried performances and guest appearances from the iconic variety show.

The global streaming project launches today with seven clips on YouTube and other platforms — a Motown-dominated batch of videos that includes performances by Diana Ross & the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, the Jackson 5 and Temptations and Gladys Knight & the Pips.

They’re the tip of a cultural iceberg contained in the “Ed Sullivan Show” archives: The Sunday night program ran from 1948 through 1971 on CBS, piping the rock ‘ n’ roll revolution, Hollywood glitz and Detroit’s Motown sparkle into American living rooms alongside Broadway, opera, vaudeville, comedy and novelty acts.

Amid the blossoming rock era, the show served up its share of cultural milestones — Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones — while providing a then-unprecedented prime-time launch pad to black performers, including the first nationwide glimpse of an 11-year-old Michael Jackson in 1969.

Ross and the Supremes were among the Sullivan show’s prolific guests during the ‘60s. From their December 1964 debut in black-and-white performing “Come See About Me” through their full-color bow five years later with “Someday We’ll Be Together,” the group appeared 17 times.

“If it wasn't the Supremes, it was Richard Pryor or Alan King, one of the old Borsch comics, or a scene from a Broadway show or Henry Fonda reading the Gettysburg Address,” said Vince Calandra, a longtime show staffer. “It was a smorgasbord, but it was America. It was simple, but it was big.”

Universal Music Enterprises acquired digital rights to the Sullivan catalog in a deal with SOFA Entertainment, which purchased the show’s library in 1990.

“‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ is iconic for essentially creating this format and for providing a forum some of the most influential voices and cultural moments of all time,” said UME President and CEO Bruce Resnikoff. “We believe there is an incredible opportunity to introduce this show and these unforgettable appearances to new audiences around the world.”

Two decades into the digital age, the Sullivan archives were among the most significant cultural caches to have sat sidelined from the web.

Videos from the iconic variety show have circulated on bootlegs for decades and in specially themed DVD packages released by SOFA. A handful of show material made its way online over the years — the Beatles’ historic 1964 performances are posted on the band’s official YouTube channel, for instance — and SOFA posted truncated tidbits online through the years.

But the company largely resisted the internet, quick to police its copyrights and yank unauthorized versions of show footage from the web. So the videos premiering today mark a breakthrough for a historic catalog of Americana.

“This is the end of the rainbow,” said Calandra. “People must see these clips. They have to. Not only will they enjoy them, but they’ll understand what it was like back then, especially for families.”

Calandra was in the thick of the Sullivan action. Having moved his way up from the CBS mailroom to handling cue cards on the set, he ultimately earned a role as a talent buyer. In Beatles’ lore, he’s best known for subbing in for George Harrison during rehearsals in February 1964 — donning a guitar and wig while the guitarist nursed a fever back in his New York City hotel room.

Sullivan was particularly affectionate of Motown and its roster of young Detroit talent, Calandra said. The bond came with a key personal link: The host was tight with Motown choreographer Cholly Atkins, an old friend from their days at New York’s Cotton Club.

“Motown could do no wrong on our show. I mean, they a well-oiled machine. They were like the New York Yankees,” said Calandra. “The choreography, the arrangements, the musicians, the costuming, was always first class all the way.”

The platform provided by Sullivan proved crucial to the label’s crossover success, and came at a critical time in the bigger civil-rights picture. Oprah Winfrey has famously pointed to the Supremes’ debut appearance in ‘64 as a life-changing moment — a realization for a 10-year-old black girl that big possibilities were within reach.

“I had never seen black women on television … or anywhere for that matter, who conveyed such glamour and such grace,” Winfrey said on air in 1993.

Ross and the Supremes impressed with their onstage versatility, including a starring role in a Sullivan tribute to Irving Berlin’s traditional pop classics. And as the ‘60s wound on, Sullivan was willing to grow with the times, embracing a touch of realistic grittiness.

Calandra recalled the Supremes’ September 1968 rehearsals for a performance of “Love Child,” the trio’s groundbreaking single about an out-of-wedlock birth in the inner city. As they worked through the number in their standard gowns and made-up hair, Motown chief Berry Gordy stepped in.

“This doesn’t look right,” Calandra recounted Gordy saying.

The plan was quickly revamped, and the group was outfitted in sweatshirts and jeans.

“So instead of having this unbelievable set with the crystals and the chandeliers, we came up with this simplified look of ‘Love Child,’” Calandra said. “And it was amazing.”

The "Love Child" performance will debut on YouTube Monday.

His lingering memory of the Jackson 5's debut in 1969 was a "cute and talented" 11-year-old kid cutting loose around the studio during rehearsals, continually having to be wrangled by show staffers. Much like the Beatles five years earlier, Calandra confessed, he didn't foresee the superstardom that lay ahead for Michael Jackson: “Who knew this was going to happen?”

"If could tell you that I thought the Beatles were going to be the Beatles, or Motown was going to be Motown, I'd really be lying to you," he said. "Because we really did not know, seriously."

But Calandra is certainly well aware now of the enduring, game-changing impact of the artists who made their way to "The Ed Sullivan Show" stage. And he hopes the thousands of videos set to make their way online can introduce the legacy to new fans.

"The show has been off the air for 50 years now. There's an audience of people that aren't not familiar with it, and they really should have a look," he said. "Families should really sit around and say, 'Hey, Hey, this is what it was like in the '50s and '60s when we would get together with the TV dinner and watch the Ed Sullivan Show at eight o'clock."

"The Ed Sullivan Show" initial release schedule:

June 12: Marvin Gaye, "Take This Heart Of Mine" (June 19, 1966)

June 12: The Supremes, "You Can't Hurry Love" (Sept. 25, 1966)

June 12: The Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations" (Oct. 13, 1968)

June 12: The Temptations, "I Can't Get Next To You" (Sept. 28, 1969)

June 12: Neil Diamond, "Sweet Caroline" (Nov. 30, 1969)

June 12: The Jackson 5, "Stand!" (Dec. 14, 1969)

June 12: Gladys Knight & The Pips, "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (March 29, 1970)

June 13: Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "Yesterday" (March 31, 1968)

June 14: Four Tops, "Reach Out I'll Be There" (Oct. 16, 1966)

June 14: The The Jackson 5, "I Want You Back" (Dec. 14, 1969)

June 15: Diana Ross & The Supremes, "Love Child" (Jan. 5, 1969)

June 16: The Temptations, (medley) "Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)," "All I Need," "My Girl," "(I Know) I'm Losing You" (May 28, 1967)

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/06/12/ed-sullivan-music-videos-premiere-online-motown-rock/3175269001/

Groups mark Michael Jackson Innocent Day on 15th anniversary of verdict in Santa Maria
Santa Maria Times, Kenny Cress, Jun 13, 2020

The 15-Year Anniversary Michael Jackson Innocent Day took place Saturday in front of the Santa Barbara County Superior Courthouse in Santa Maria on Cook Street.

It was 15 years to the day that inside that courthouse, late pop music icon Michael Jackson was acquitted of all charges in connection with accusations that he molested a 13-year old boy he had befriended as the youngster was recovering from cancer in 2003.

"We chose this location because Michael was acquitted in this courthouse 15 years ago today," said Valencia "Mother Diva" Dantzler of Thriller Dance 2300, who with Geraldine Hughes of Open Door Skid Row Ministries and other volunteers helped set up food and toiletries bags.

Anti-Defamation Legacy Law Advocates, or ADLAW, in association with Thriller Dance 2300 and Open Door Skid Row Ministries co-sponsored the event in front the same courthouse in which the nationally publicized trial took place.

Chicago-based Thriller Dance 2300 and Los Angeles-based Open Door Skid Row Ministries are nonprofit organizations.

"The purpose of this is to pass a &#8216;defamation of the deceased&#8217; law," said Dantzler, who said she is a &#8220;stage mom&#8221; to Jackson's daughter, Paris, and has worked with members of the Jackson family and Michael Jackson colleagues since 2010 on events pertaining to his legacy.

"To do that, you have to get the word out," Dantzler said.

&#8220;Defamation&#8221; is defined as an act or statement that damages one&#8217;s reputation. Under common law and according to that description, deceased individuals cannot be defamed because "the dead do not have reputations to damage," according to Minclaw.com, online reputation and brand name protection lawyers.

However, William H. Binder wrote for DePaul University of Art, Technology and Intellectual Property Law in 2016, "If one were to print that Elvis [Presley] was a pedophile on T-shirts and then sell them, or even place his name or likeness, absent any potential defamatory statements, on leaflets and distribute them, his estate in certain jurisdictions, would be able to sue on the grounds that such an action was an infringement on his property rights."

11 of the most iconic gigs at the National Bowl in Milton Keynes
Sunday, June 21st, 2020 9:53am

41 years ago, the National Bowl in Milton Keynes was born - and since then it has seen world-renowned artists coming to play in the heart of our city.

[&#8230;]

1988: Michael Jackson

60,000 people descended upon Milton Keynes for Michael Jackson's legendary Bad World Tour in 1988. It was his first solo concert tour and spanned a massive 16 months across the world with 123 dates.

He kicked off the gig with an incredible performance of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and ended with an encore including The Way You Make Me Feel and Man In The Mirror.

[&#8230;]

Full article: https://www.mkfm.com/news/local-news/11-of-the-most-iconic-gigs-which-have-happened-at-the-national-bowl-in-milton-keynes/

Michael Jackson was 50 years old when he was found dead on June 25, 2009, after going into cardiac arrest in his L.A. mansion

Taj Jackson is mourning the loss of his uncle, the late Michael Jackson.

On Thursday, which marked the 11th anniversary of the singer's death, a number of family members came together to commemorate him. "11 years ago today the world lost the greatest entertainer of all time," Taj, who is the son of Jackson’s brother Tito, wrote on Twitter.

"Although his talent was a gift from God, him sharing it was a gift to us. The world is [a] darker place without Michael Jackson in it. His love and light is truly missed by us all," he continued.

Tito also shared a tribute to his late brother, posting a throwback image of the singer on Instagram. "Always in our hearts," he wrote.

"To the greatest soul and entertainer in the world! &#8236; &#8234;You will always be in our hearts! &#8236; &#8234;May you continue to rest in peace!&#8236;" added sister LaToya Jackson in a separate tribute.

Jackson was 50 years old when he was found dead on June 25, 2009, after going into cardiac arrest in his L.A. mansion.

He is also survived by his three children: Prince Michael, 23, Paris, 22, and Bigi, 18.

Last year, HBO released their documentary Leaving Neverland, which chronicles the longtime allegations of child sexual abuse against Jackson. The exposé centers around claims from James Safechuck and Wade Robson. Both claim Jackson befriended them when they were children and their relationships quickly turned sexual.

Jackson repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and in 2005 was acquitted in a child sex abuse case against him in California. His estate also previously sued HBO and slammed the documentary, calling it “another rehash of dated and discredited allegations.”
In spite of the controversy surrounding the film, Leaving Neverland won for outstanding documentary or nonfiction special at the 2019 Creative Arts Emmys.

https://people.com/music/latoya-jackson-taj-jackson-pay-tribute-michael-jackson-death-anniversary/

Indian Express released rare pictures of Michael Jackson to commemorate the 11th year of his passing.

The pictures were taken during Michael’s visit in the country in November 1996 for the HIStory World Tour.

The news agent recalled that everyone wanted to meet the King of Pop, from politicians, Bollywood actors and singers.

Pictures with SP Hinduja (billionaire businessman), Gauri Khan (film producer), Shiv Sena (politician), Anupam Kher (actor) and Prabhudheva (dancer and choreographer) shows how demanding was the trip.

The paper recall that Michael’s only demand was a free-standing, full length mirror which he signed just before departure with a pillow slip from his room.

https://indianexpress.com/photos/en...kson-visited-india-death-anniversary-6475554/

Thanks for sharing. :cool:
NatureCriminal7896;4295757 said:
Indian Express released rare pictures of Michael Jackson to commemorate the 11th year of his passing.

The pictures were taken during Michael’s visit in the country in November 1996 for the HIStory World Tour.

The news agent recalled that everyone wanted to meet the King of Pop, from politicians, Bollywood actors and singers.

Pictures with SP Hinduja (billionaire businessman), Gauri Khan (film producer), Shiv Sena (politician), Anupam Kher (actor) and Prabhudheva (dancer and choreographer) shows how demanding was the trip.

The paper recall that Michael’s only demand was a free-standing, full length mirror which he signed just before departure with a pillow slip from his room.

https://indianexpress.com/photos/en...kson-visited-india-death-anniversary-6475554/

michaelwhatsapp-image-2019-08-29-at-09.25.46.jpeg

I wrote a four part series. I saw that someone else put my article up in another thread but I couldn't respond to it. I'm new here and I'm a longtime Jackson fan since I saw him in 1984. He was dating my neighbor who lived next door. It was amazing. That was my first introduction to MJ but living in a religious household, his music wasn't known to me until my father passed away in 1988. Only then could I learn more about who he was, since my mother was more secular.

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/michael-jackson-and-lessons-on-race-69690f92e77

This is the Fourth one, here are the rest.....

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/cracks-in-the-dam-a5c1271808e5

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/a-steep-price-31218662ac40

https://medium.com/@supermodelsonya/the-trauma-of-loving-michael-jackson-ff93819a2e2e

I hope this is okay to put this here. I invite everyone to take a read. I know that you guys know all about this stuff, but it doesn't hurt to pass on info, especially if you're bored one day and are looking for a great read. Thank you and I really love it here.

Back