Michael Jackson To Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, I would like to see Birchy make a virtual MJ singing STTR. Can you do that Birchy? Do it the way you claim without an impostor, then you can present it to the estate or the company that did the Valintino virtual MJ. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

WhoIsIt89;4012702 said:
No, it's a problem when you attempt to imply superiority over another fan. I didn't say there's no difference between Earnest Valentino & Michael Jackson. I said in terms of their body, in costume, there isn't much noticeable difference's. I wasn't talking about his face, his walk, his hair or anything else, I said his body. And the examples I posted attested to that, in which the only difference was the height of the two and the slope of the shoulders. And the only reason for that was Michael wearing heels at that event.

You attempt to tell me I don't know Michael Jackson, as if you actually know me or how long I've idolized the man. Yet when I respectfully asked you to show me these obvious differences between the two, you couldn't do it and go about using this same bullshit paragraph in every post "You tell me there's no difference..I AM in shock!"

Lol, like, what? List the differences or not. However when you can't list them, don't attempt to tell me I don't know Michael, when I've looked up to the man since '93.

So in terms of their body you’ve said “There isn't much difference, other than the fact that you KNOW one is really Michael Jackson”

I am apologies if according the effect of this line I was rude. But I was surprised and still am.

It was pretty clear they used a impersonator for that performance.

They only used CGI face for the start and end, no more.

That CGI face looked like the Inmortal cover:

Untitewewled-2_zps6b38725e.jpg

Also in some parts you can see the difference between the color of the face (CGI MASK for Valentino) and neck (Impersonator):

Untitletrd-2_zpscdb580fc.jpg
Uerertitled-3_zpsdcc961cd.jpg
dssUntitled-3_zps36b5474e.jpg

The good thing it´s that they didn´t used other impersonators:

holojas_zps9c506235.jpg

Last edited:
To use a dancer to create VMJ is one thing but some are telling us that they actually “put” an impersonator on stage just like that with no “corrections”

There was a line “no hologram, no impersonator” and one more thing.

qbee;4009295 said:
No that was not Michael's body . That was evident to me. but was close. They cant use MJ footage to create this, they use a live model for the CGI Image for holograms. Michael never danced in that costume or sang that song. . I think you may misunderstand the technology. They have too use a model to dance. then they can try to project his facial image to make it look more like MJ and they could have used a dancer that is closer to how MJ walked and would execute the moves. That is something they need to perfect. BUT ... what they did on that stage with the MJ image created with the model was amazing . it looked like he was really dancing on the stage. The setting he was in ws beautiful. and the production was beautiful . This has Never been done before .. So in that respect it was historical and Awesome. Now they just need to perfect the image to look and dance more like MJ ... I dont get all the anger and hated from some though . I thought it was beautiful to watch . and did somewhat look like MJ .. Im sure even more so watching it live because it was not meant for the screen .

Ramona122003;4012090 said:
Maybe they used a someone who was about as tall as Michael to get his height, but it appears everything from his movements, looks, and expressions were inspired by videos and photos that they sculpted and animated into a computer. Although, they still could have motion-caption a train dancer for the movements since I cannot see them trying to program an original dance into a computer by hand.

And there are more examples in this thread!

SO, NO SOME PEOPLE WERE\ARE FINE WITH THE IDEA OF A MODEL DANCER OR A TRAIND DANCER TO BE USED !!!

We just do not see leis in everything.

And think that Virtual MJ does exist. That’s it.

They DID put an impersonator on stage with "no corrections"..It wasn't a dancer, it was Earnest Valentino, we've proved that. Where are you getting this "Its one thing to use a dancer" stuff? Even if they did actually use a dancer, you'd still be getting no Michael, you'd have a dancer in costume with a CGI face. That's it. It's the same exact thing. But regardless, we got an impersonator in a shitty CGI face, simple as that. There is no "Virtual MJ". Everything outside of the face is simply a person, not a computer generated body, it's an actual person. We were told the opposite, so it's a lie, no matter how you constantly try to flip your excuses and reasoning, they lied. There was no Michael, therefore there is no "Michael like you've never seen him before"...And there's no "well it was Michael like you've never seen him before, you've never seen him dancing to Slave To The Rhythm, hur dur durrrr"...We still haven't, I did see Earnest Valentino dancing to Slave To The Rhythm at the Billboard Awards and being incorrectly introduced as Michael Jackson.

What we're telling you, is the truth, we've all researched this and each of us whose been saying this, have all taken our piece of the pie and contributed to the "evidence" we've gathered to support our belief. NONE of you have done that for your side, simply because you can't...

I said the only difference is you know one is actually Michael Jackson. I also said "in terms of his body" and that was it, I also pointed out the only obvious differences in the height and slope of the shoulders. Yet the only reason for this is Michael wearing heels at that event, Earnest wasn't. Without heels they probably would've been closer in height. What is surprising about that? I KNOW Michael Jackson, there's no possible way you can tell me otherwise and actually be correct. I find it "surprising" that when respectfully asked to list these obvious differences, you couldn't do it and just responded by implying I don't know Michael Jackson from the average impersonator..Like, what?

^^Funny so we are back to the CGI face while at the same time it is Valentino face and the Immortal cover face. I wonder if people see the contradictions they place in ONE post.

^^Funny so we are back to the CGI face while at the same time it is Valentino face and the Immortal cover face. I wonder if people see the contradictions they place in ONE post.

Who are people? Stop making these generalizations and realize that only one person stated that "Immortal cover face" theory.

What me and Birchey and others have been saying this whole time and never backed down from, is that the CGI face was lacking in general, not only was it lacking solely on it's own. But we've been saying that it also looks like they didn't even put 100% effort into it, because at certain angles, you don't even see the CGI face, you simply see Earnest Valentino. Which means, again, as we've been saying, that they only put major focus on the front of his face, and not the sides to try and make him look, you know, more like Michael.

No way does that translate to, "Oh, we think its CGI face, Earnests face, and the Immortal cover all into one." Because we didn't say that, thus none of these "contradictions" you mention stem from anything we've been saying.

The most you've probably seen is someone saying that the CGI face looks to be inspired by the Immortal cover. And even then, that's one person's view, it doesn't relate to all of us.

Maybe it was ALL made on a computer?

But it wasn't..We've already proven this.

And I actually saw someone a few pages back alluding to that picture of the impersonator on the set in the same clothes design, not being that at all. Alluding to him just being a stand-in for "Virtual" Michael, yet in the next sentence saying that they already had "virtual" Michael done, before that shot. Explain to me this, if "Virtual Michael" was already done before they began to rehearse and film this performance on the computer, why would they need a stand-in, and why would they need him to be in the same clothes? If "Virtual Michael" was already done and completed, wouldn't they just place that image in the middle, and actually do the moves that way on the computer while the other dancers rehearsed around him? Why the need for a stand-in for a virtual image?

Simply put, that shot is exactly what we said it is, an impersonator in his MJ/Michael Bush inspired clothing, doing the performance with the other dancers while being filmed.

Seriously, I would like to see Birchy make a virtual MJ singing STTR. Can you do that Birchy? Do it the way you claim without an impostor, then you can present it to the estate or the company that did the Valintino virtual MJ. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

And is this your only rebuttal? None of us have ever made it about, "we can do better"...We just realized that it was executed poorly and could've actually been done better had they just put more into it. Our whole issue was it being labeled a full CGI image, when in reality, it was the projection of an impersonator in a flawed CGI mask. And people were telling us we were wrong and didn't know what we were talking about. Well we found some people who do happen to know what they're talking about in terms of computer generated imagery and effects, and they just so happen to agree with us, that it wasn't a CGI. We got more proof outside of that to support our belief. And so far none of that has been disputed. Arguments just changed, and instead of people now saying we were wrong and that it was full CGI, they're now saying "well you do better" "Did you expect Michael to come back", "So what Branca & Co went back on their word" (which is a lie in it's own right). We can't do better, so regardless of them not being honest with us, we shouldn't criticize and call them out for their dishonesty, simply because, even with all we know, with all the evidence we've gathered and put together, we can't do better, so we must shut up. Hilarious.

Last edited:
It´s impossible to make a full CGI MJ body and not notice.

I can see the fake movements on Avatar and it was one of most expensive movies ever made.

By the way, i didn´t say they used the Inmortal cover on the performance, i only said in some parts (start and end) they used a CGI face to cover Ernest face and it looks like a fake digital recreation (like Inmortal cover).

^^There is even a comment from someone saying 'clearly it wasn't Michael.' Too funny.

And I actually saw someone a few pages back alluding to that picture of the impersonator on the set in the same clothes design, not being that at all. Alluding to him just being a stand-in for "Virtual" Michael, yet in the next sentence saying that they already had "virtual" Michael done, before that shot. Explain to me this, if "Virtual Michael" was already done before they began to rehearse and film this performance on the computer, why would they need a stand-in, and why would they need him to be in the same clothes? If "Virtual Michael" was already done and completed, wouldn't they just place that image in the middle, and actually do the moves that way on the computer while the other dancers rehearsed around him? Why the need for a stand-in for a virtual image?

Simply put, that shot is exactly what we said it is, an impersonator in his MJ/Michael Bush inspired clothing, doing the performance with the other dancers while being filmed.

That was clearly a rehearsal and probably not being filmed for the performance as it is a rehearsal and none of the dancers are in costume. Dancers need a stand-in so that they can arrange their movements around the lead person. As Rich & Tone said they needed to arrange the performance according to what they can cross / not cross. Also even at TII dancers practiced with Travis acting like a stand-in. Why in the clothing , I don't know. Only thing I can assume is if there were multiple versions of clothing and they were checking which colors would work best. As for the filmed, good news is it shows everything was being filmed. As for Michael Bush "inspired", wouldn't you agree that it's not probably inspired but done by Bush given that we have seen him in a video and he was there and involved. I would imagine they wouldn't need the impersonator's clothing when they had Bush to do one.

That was clearly a rehearsal and probably not being filmed for the performance as it is a rehearsal and none of the dancers are in costume. Dancers need a stand-in so that they can arrange their movements around the lead person. As Rich & Tone said they needed to arrange the performance according to what they can cross / not cross. Also even at TII dancers practiced with Travis acting like a stand-in. Why in the clothing , I don't know. Only thing I can assume is if there were multiple versions of clothing and they were checking which colors would work best. As for the filmed, good news is it shows everything was being filmed. As for Michael Bush "inspired", wouldn't you agree that it's not probably inspired but done by Bush given that we have seen him in a video and he was there and involved. I would imagine they wouldn't need the impersonator's clothing when they had Bush to do one.

It was being filmed, the video shows it. He was in the process of making it all mesh as a "hologram". He simply wasn't on the computer doing nothing. He was editing, the video shows that. The impersonator is their, also being edited into whatever the guy was doing, in the same exact clothes. Obvious is obvious. It's exactly what Birchey said it was, the Behind The Scenes video clearly shows the impersonator, yet nobody caught on it or even mentioned until Birchey made everyone aware. It's too coincidental, everything is too coincidental...There's simply no reason for a "stand-in" to be wearing the same clothing as the "CGI" was, there's simply no reason for the "stand-in" to be edited on a computer, if he wasn't going to be used. Sorry I just don't believe that.

And it clearly wasn't Michael, it was a projection of an impersonator. What's funny about that? We've done more to prove our theory, than you have to disprove it. THAT'S funny.

It was being filmed, the video shows it.

I said "not being filmed for the performance". Of course it was being filmed as it was on video. I don't believe it was being filmed for use at Billboard Performance though.

THAT'S funny.

why are you so angry and so defensive? If you proved your theory why is this frustration and anger - especially towards other people that got nothing to do with this hologram? Do you think your tone is helping? Why aren't you able to accept that simply some people will not agree with you (not limited to this topic but in every regard)? do you think you can push your opinions on to others especially in such tone? Why not respect that some people aren't going to be comfortable with making or agreeing "it's 100%" , "we know everything" statements and they think we don't know anything and everything? Why not accept that people have different perceptions? Why not realize that what could be problematic for you, might not be problematic for others? Why not accept that some people might not care about this as much as you do or they might not care at all? I mean why is this anger? How long will it last? It's been almost a week from that one time performance, how long will this debate continue? And everything aside regardless how how much you might disagree with people and believe they are wrong, why can't we all be a little more respectful?

Honestly these extreme reactions and acting like other fans to blame is getting really really old and tiring.

^^Thanks guys. I like the part about the impersonator standing there in the clothes being edited into what the guy was doing on the computer--too cute.

I think part of his anger is because he feels he is showing all this proof and people are not seeing it. He feels frustrated and angry, and me finding this comical is not helping.

I just looked at the video again and found another treat--the illusion is did that front and back hip movement that I loved. I noticed that there was a hand gesture that looked as though it came from Blood on the Dance Floor when Michael was sitting on the chair singing.

Last edited:
What makes you belive, that this is full CGI body?

who don't belive it is, listed dosen of indications of why it isn't. the "i belive its full cgi" had nothing but arguments like 12 year olds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

What follows is strictly confidential material, a transcript of a phone conversation and then discussion of major bosses. I got it from 'sources', all of whom signed strict non-disclosure agreements and therefore must remain unnamed.

JB: Hello! May I speak with Mr Valentino?
Valentino: Yes!
JB: Mr Valentino?
JB: I have a proposition for you!
JB: We are creating Virtual MJ and we need you in our project.
JB: You will play MJ.
JB: You will dance on new MJ song.
JB: Then we have an agreement?
JB: One last thing...
JB: If someone ask you on Facebook about your involvement on this project, just tell them "you are not entitled to give any information regarding this project". From your response no one will suspect that you were part of this. OK?
JB: Goodbye, see you ..... no, wait ...
JB: Do you still have those MJ shoes you bought on eBay?
JB: Take them with you because we don't have MJ shoes. OK?
JB: See you ... [end of phone conversation]

What follows is a transcript of a conversation between JB, JM, and LAR:

JM: What Valentino said?
JB: "Yes!"
LAR: Gooooood! Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.
JB: OMG, the exact same thing said The Emperor Palpatine in "Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi"!
LAR: Ha, ha, ha! You're good. Ha, ha, ha!
JM: Hey, people! Attention please! We're not finished. We still have work to do. We need to test Valentino. Have you considered how to test him?
JB: I know the perfect test and I have already made ??the arrangements.
LAR: Perfect test?
JB: Yes! We'll test him with 'casual MJ fans from MJJC'. If they don't discover that he is impersonator neither will general audiences.
LAR: Casual MJ fans from MJJC? Who are they?
JB: They are the fans who love MJ, but they did not studied MJ movements enough. They are rarely in section 2000 Watts.
LAR: So now we are waiting for test results?
JB: Yes, and then we'll make a final decision.
JM: I have a question. What will we do if something happens to Valentino during filming? Some kind of injury or...
JB: Everything is under control. If something happens to Valentino we'll use impersonator of an impersonator!
JM: Oh wow, I see you've thought of everything. Kudos!

A few days later came the footage of 'casual MJ fans from MJJC' at the time when they saw Valentino? This is the actual footage:

jh8x0z.jpg

Now you know the real truth about the whole process. :D

Is it so hard? Go find a video of MJ doing that odd side glide, the odd on toes while pointing down with his head just like that and the other one with his fits out. You won't succeed.

I have posted this challenge a number times and have yet to see one post showing Michael performing in the manner of the Billboard spectacle. Kreen also never posted video of Michael performing in a lackluster manner during the History era. That is understandable as it has been said the Dangerous era was used for whatever that was.

Birchey, feel free to use this quote from Branca that those who supposedly combed the thread conveniently missed on page 61 (BlueSky's post):

Jackson Family lawyer John Branca said the costly hologram was in the works since late 2013. He also toldThe Hollywood Reporter (presumably with a straight face?) that, "It's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting."

Article here:

"At the time we made the decision," says Jackson's lawyer and adviser John Branca, "'Slave to the Rhythm' felt like a song that was something people could dance to, a potential club song. We talked to Jamie King, who directed the Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil shows, and we all felt the song was very likeable."

Demand for the Jackson hologram was considerable, but in the end Branca and the estate felt it needed to be shown with a live audience.

"It's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting," Branca says. "This is something where we wanted a live performance in front of a live audience and nothing speaks to that more than an awards show."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/billboard-music-awards-behind-scenes-705457

Last edited:
To me it's clear that if they showed the dancer in rehearsals it's because they got nothing to hide. If they were so afraid fans would pick up on this, they wouldn't have included it in their making-of video. It's not just accidently there. This dancer is there so the real-life dancers would know MJ hologram is going to be. It doesn't mean it's the shooting of the hologram itself, that's silly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

What follows is strictly confidential material, a transcript of a phone conversation and then discussion of major bosses. I got it from 'sources', all of whom signed strict non-disclosure agreements and therefore must remain unnamed.

JB: Hello! May I speak with Mr Valentino?
JB: Mr Valentino?
JB: I have a proposition for you!
JB: We are creating Virtual MJ and we need you in our project.
JB: You will play MJ.
JB: You will dance on new MJ song.
JB: Then we have an agreement?
JB: One last thing...
JB: If someone ask you on Facebook about your involvement on this project, just tell them "you are not entitled to give any information regarding this project". From your response no one will suspect that you were part of this. OK?
JB: Goodbye, see you ..... no, wait ...
JB: Do you still have those MJ shoes you bought on eBay?
JB: Take them with you because we don't have MJ shoes. OK?
JB: See you ... [end of phone conversation]

What follows is a transcript of a conversation between JB, JM, and LAR:

JM: What Valentino said?
JB: "Yes!"
LAR: Gooooood! Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.
JB: OMG, the exact same thing said The Emperor Palpatine in "Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi"!
LAR: Ha, ha, ha! You're good. Ha, ha, ha!
JM: Hey, people! Attention please! We're not finished. We still have work to do. We need to test Valentino. Have you considered how to test him?
JB: I know the perfect test and I have already made ??the arrangements.
LAR: Perfect test?
JB: Yes! We'll test him with 'casual MJ fans from MJJC'. If they don't discover that he is impersonator neither will general audiences.
LAR: Casual MJ fans from MJJC? Who are they?
JB: They are the fans who love MJ, but they did not studied MJ movements enough. They are rarely in section 2000 Watts.
LAR: So now we are waiting for test results?
JB: Yes, and then we'll make a final decision.
JM: I have a question. What will we do if something happens to Valentino during filming? Some kind of injury or...
JB: Everything is under control. If something happens to Valentino we'll use impersonator of an impersonator!
JM: Oh wow, I see you've thought of everything. Kudos!

A few days later came the footage of 'casual MJ fans from MJJC' at the time when they saw Valentino? This is the actual footage:

jh8x0z.jpg

Now you know the real truth about the whole process. :D

I LOVE IT!!!!!! Thank you so much, you made my day.

Can I try one:

JB: Hi is this the official MJ impersonator?
Valantino: Yes
JB: This is JB and we want you to lend your body but not face, face but not body, dance but not moonwalk or walk to the MJ illusion for BB.
Valantino: Yes
JB: Can you do this difficult thing?
Valantino: Yes, but wouldn't the fans want Michael?
JB: Yes, but we don't have the heart to tell them Michael is no longer with us. Shhhh!!
Valentino: OK
JB: Don't let anyone know. We need you at a rehearsal naked. We will put a costume on you that Bush made. If any fans from MJJC call you to ask you if you are involved, don't use the usual "no comment" response. Be cryptic so they will know you are involved.
Valentino: Yes

JM: What did Valentino say?
JB: Yes
JM: You sure he understands about the use of face but not body, body but not face thingy?
JB: Yes
JM: OK we are going to do this:- Put the impersonator on stage and have the camera crew mesh everything into the illusion. The people sitting in the front rows will see everything, like Valentino's clothes and his body behind the illusion, and make shots of it. However, that is ok, even though we don't want anyone to know.

JB: How about the fans at mjjc didn't we tell them no impersonator?
JM: Don't worry; we will use an impersonator of an impersonator, so in that way we are not really lying. We said no impersonator, but we did not say NO Impersonator of an Impersonator!!
JB: Ah Ha. You are right, of course.
JM: Anyway, it is time for them to have a new thread: The great illusion debate. Imagine how many months and years they can spend debating this thing. Imagine all the happiness they will get from doing research and making videos. We shouldn't deprive them of that.
JB: You are right, of course, but wouldn't that make them call us a lot of names?
JM: Well, can a leopard change it's spots?
JB: You have something there.
JM: Let's get this thing started.
JB: OK, Shhhh.

Lol @ anger. I simply said I didn't believe the theory that you had put forth, Ivy. As far as the comment to Petrarose there's no animosity anywhere within that post. It's just the truth, it's equal to the assertion that someone's opinion or statement can be referred to as "funny", after said person has gone through effort to find whatever they needed to to back they're opinion, but they have that right to say what they like, really. So I didn't express anger toward petrarose statement, I just thought it was also funny that it can be said, when again, someone went through the effort to find whatever they consider to be proof to support their claim and there's not been much done to disprove it. That's all...And no one is blaming fans, but while you all (generally speaking) were telling us how wrong we were, and weren't aware of what we were talking about, and misconstruing words, and points. When someone actually went through the effort to actually back up their theory that it "clearly wasn't Michael", not an virtual image, not image based off an image of Michael, and to actually seek out people who do actually know what they're talking about. To call that opinion "too funny", is a bit condescending don't you think?

To me it's clear that if they showed the dancer in rehearsals it's because they got nothing to hide. If they were so afraid fans would pick up on this, they wouldn't have included it in their making-of video. It's not just accidently there. This dancer is there so the real-life dancers would know MJ hologram is going to be. It doesn't mean it's the shooting of the hologram itself, that's silly.

No offense but that still doesn't explain why he's wearing the same clothes as "VMJ".

Last edited:
So the lie everyone is offended by was two years in the making? Take my hat off to Branca, he sure is a forward thinker. Lol

And the other quote that was sarcastically posted was seen but can see nothing wrong in it.

But, you see, many of us don't really care if an impersonator was used to help create this performance. We understand the difficulty in putting something like this together (apparently it took 8 months and a lot of money to produce as it was). We also accept the fact that this was an illusion and not Michael Jackson. Like you, we know the difference. But this doesn't stop us from appreciating the outcome despite the warts and wrinkles. Honestly, I do not understand why people are spending so much time and effort to analyse this. What will it prove in the end? That it wasn't Michael on the stage that night? Sadly, we already know this thanks to a very incompetent doctor

No and no one can blame the doctor for that.

The decision for Michael to somehow perform STTR at Billboard has absolutely nothing to do with Michael. NOTHING.

That was a decision made by others. Estate/Sony decide Michael somehow needed to perform to promote Xscape (despite Michael's passing). Branca stated: "it's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting" (despite Michael's passing).

Michael's only contribution was his vocals.

Last edited:
So the lie everyone is offended by was two years in the making? Take my hat off to Branca, he sure is a forward thinker. Lol

And the other quote that was sarcastically posted was seen but can see nothing wrong in it.

Yeap. Back when Immortal was initiated, Branca made some comment about what he wanted the show to be. He talked about not using impersonators, meaning not having a Navi, for example, do the whole performance as though he was Michael. He also made other comments about the vision of the show. He wanted a show based on the works of the King. Now in 2014 someone is using that comment to say Branca lied to them. Michael always loved magic and illusion and I think this illusion captures something Michel would enjoy.

I think years from now when people are old and grey, they will look back and see how this performance was a landmark event in history; how experts were able to create this live feat for the first time on such a large scale, and they were a part of it; how this performance placed Michael's name in activities that were done for the "1st time." Then, they will see that they missed the opportunity to embrace all that and be joyful about it.

brand new article with more info!

Michael Jackson's 'return to life' puts dollar signs in the eyes of concert promoters

Michael Jackson's "return" last week – a remarkably convincing illusion made possible by the latest breakthroughs in human animation, visual effects and facial modelling – dazzled the audience, writes Philip Sherwell. But it is not just the King of Pop who may now live on forever

michael-jackson_2921321b.jpg
A holographic image of Michael Jackson performs onstage during the 2014 Billboard Music Awards Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images

By Philip Sherwell, New York

9:00PM BST 24 May 2014
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.1400006231.html#_=1400967541247&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&screen_name=philipsherwell&show_count=true&show_screen_name=false&size=m" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button" title="Twitter Follow Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="width: 162px; height: 20px;"></iframe>
comments.gif
Comment

It was the ultimate showbusiness comeback, a computer-generated resurrection that brought the boy who never grew up back from the grave.

Five years after his death, a digitally-recreated Michael Jackson stole the show at last week's Billboard music awards as he sang, danced and moonwalked across the stage in familiar fashion.

The four-minute performance was a remarkably convincing illusion made possible by the latest breakthroughs in human animation, visual effects and facial modelling, combined with techniques first pioneered by 19th century magicians.

But it is not just the King of Pop who may now live on forever. With the techniques that recreated him having now passed their first major "live" performance test, numerous other dead stars may soon be on stage again as the executors for their estates eye up a world of posthumous performances, shows and tours.

"We have already heard from about the estates of about a dozen iconic performers and some of the biggest venues in the world who are interested in staging concerts and shows using this technology," John Textor, chairman of Pulse Evolution, the digital effects company that put Jackson back on stage, told The Sunday Telegraph.

He declined to identify particular celebrities, but the industry is already abuzz with speculation that the likes of Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley could appear in lifelike form once again.
The potential revenues for such tours are huge.

It is estimated that a two-year world tour featuring the digital Michael Jackson could rake in half a billion dollars. In a sign that a tour is already in the works, his 59-year-old sibling, Jermaine, said that the brothers who once formed the Jackson 5 were working on a new music together.

Mark Roesler, the founder of CMG Worldwide, which represents late celebrities such as Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, said that his company was also in discussions about several similar projects, including plans to stage a show in Las Vegas and London featuring a hologram version of Bette Page, the former American model known as the "Queen of Pinups".
"This is an incredibly exciting time," he said. "We are talking about bring back to life some of the greatest personalities we have known, people who had an enormous impact on the world."

Technological gimmicks and holograms have increasingly been used to resurrect dead stars in films and commercials, while computer-generated imagery has been used to complete filming when actors die during a production.

But the new technology that brought the crowd to their feet for the virtual Michael Jackson heralds a future for onstage "live" performances by the dead. Despite several reports referring to the re-creation as a hologram, the technique does not actually involve holography, which uses projections of light to create the appearance of a three-dimensional image on a two-dimensional surface.

Instead, the team at Pulse began eight months ago with a computer-generated version of a gold-jacketed Jackson circa 1991 which was then the subject of a lengthy and comprehensive animation process.

Facial modelling experts worked with former Jackson collaborateurs, including the choreographers who toured with him, to develop the likeness, writing computer code to replicate his hair, skin, and facial expressions. They even noted the patterns of the ligaments in his neck as he sang.

For the show, six high-powered projectors hung were over the stage to direct the high-resolution footage of the virtual Jackson down to a tilted piece of clear reflective plastic.

From there, the video bounced off the surface towards the audience, giving the impression that Jackson was on stage in front of them. The technique is drawn from an old magician's trick called Pepper's ghost, in which plate glass and special lighting is used to reflect images for viewers who cannot see the source.
The Jackson illusion for the Billboard show was reinforced by the use of live dancers on stage, apparently passing behind and in front of the star, completing a spectacular night of smoke and mirrors.

"It's so important to experience Michael Jackson in a live setting," said John Branca, the estate executor who commissioned the digital illusion. "We wanted a live performance in front of a live audience.''

Jackson is already the world's highest-earning dead celebrity, bringing in an $160 million for his beneficiaries, according the most recent Forbes survey.

The show illustrated his enduring appeal. The television broadcast attracted 10.5 million viewers, its highest rating for 13 years, and millions more have watched online. In the subsequent social media frenzy, some complained that the re-creation of the late star was by its very nature "creepy", and that the dance moves fell short of the real thing, but the performance was generally well-received.

"When this all came together, it really gave me the chills, it felt so real," said Frank Patterson, Pulse's chief executive. "We worked with people who knew Michael really well, his family and friends, and when they started to cry, we knew we'd got it right. And then we all started to cry."

They were not the only ones moved that night. There were nearly 20 living A-list stars performing at the Billboard awards, but it was the dead Jackson who brought the audience to their feet. Appropriately, the performance included Slave to the Rhythm from Xscape, a new posthumous album of previously unreleased recordings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...r-signs-in-the-eyes-of-concert-promoters.html

^^Thank you and this brought tears to my eyes:

They were not the only ones moved that night. There were nearly 20 living A-list stars performing at the Billboard awards, but it was the dead Jackson who brought the audience to their feet.

So many people loved this and it is great to see. Anyone notice that the bottom of Michael's pants seem to move like real pants do? It is amazing how these experts really tried to make this thing realistic.
Love that the illusion gave BB its highest ratings in 13 years. Does anyone know if a half-time superbowl show had higher ratings?

I guess the family member that helped was Jackie. It can't be Jermaine for obvious reasons. Jamie is really doing well since he is involved in many estate related projects.

^^Thank you and this brought tears to my eyes:

They were not the only ones moved that night. There were nearly 20 living A-list stars performing at the Billboard awards, but it was the dead Jackson who brought the audience to their feet.

So many people loved this and it is great to see. Anyone notice that the bottom of Michael's pants seem to move like real pants do? It is amazing how these experts really tried to make this thing realistic.
Love that the illusion gave BB its highest ratings in 13 years. Does anyone know if a half-time superbowl show had higher ratings?

I guess the family member that helped was Jackie. It can't be Jermaine for obvious reasons. Jamie is really doing well since he is involved in many estate related projects.

In many ways, it shows how some Michael fans are becoming increasing disconnected from the general public and within the fanbase itself. If this positive news caused this giant thread of anger, melodrama, and fan outrage, the Michael Jackson forums are going to become an increasing hostile place that will chase away newer fans because who wants to deal with this drama?

This is partly why I don't post as much anymore. Seems the only thing fans can agree on that doesn't cause a giant thousand page debate are the allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back