Michael Jackson Tops Forbes' List Of Top-Earning Dead Celebrities With $140 Million Haul

HIStory

Proud Member
Michael Jackson Tops Forbes' List Of Top-Earning Dead Celebrities With $140 Million Haul

Jackson is once again the top-earning dead celebrity.

Being alive is so overrated. The 13 late luminaries who rank on this year’s list of the Top-Earning Dead Celebrities brought in a total of $363.5 million over the last 12 months. While living, celebrities can be temperamental and demanding. In death, they simply become brands to be managed. Their images can be attached to everything from T-shirts and posters to fragrances and lingerie, and they can even return from the dead in the form of eerily life-like holograms.

Few celebrities prove the point that there is (financial) life after death better than Michael Jackson. The King of Pop tops our list yet again with $140 million in earnings. This year, the singer had his second posthumous album release with Xscape, which debuted at No. 2 on the charts. He also appeared (in hologram form) on stage at the Billboard Music Awards. The hologram performance left some fans thrilled and others a bit freaked out, but expect to see more of the same from other dead celebrities as the technology advances to the point where we won’t be able to tell the difference.

Bettie Page, who ties for ninth on our list with $9 million in earnings, is also about to get the hologram treatment. The star’s iconic look (severe bangs, jet black hair, pin-up girl clothing) is making a comeback and now CMG, the company that manages Page’s estate, is working on a show about the star’s life. Set to open in Vegas next year (a venue has yet to be determined), the show will feature a hologram Page doing one of her famous striptease acts.

To compile our list we talk to estate managers, agents, music publishers and other in-the-know folks to come up with estimates of what each estate brought in between October 2013 and October 2014. We don’t deduct for taxes or things like management fees.

Ranking second behind Jackson is Elvis Presley with an estimated $55 million in earnings over the 12-month period. Authentic Brands Group bought the rights to Elvis last year for a reported $125 million. Presley’s estate still rakes in millions thanks to the throngs of tourists who visit Graceland each year and Elvis’ extensive music library. But ABG plans to boost earnings with (you guessed it) a hologram Elvis. ABG CEO Jamie Salter told Ad Week that hologram Elvis will be up and running in the spring and that he might return to Las Vegas or even perform with hologram Michael Jackson.

Cartoonist Charles Schulz ranks third with $40 million. Schulz’s Peanuts characters have never really gone away thanks to online versions of the comic strip, successful merchandising and the ubiquitous MetLife MET -3.13% ads featuring Snoopy and the gang. But now the Peanuts are being introduced to a whole new generation with an upcoming 3-D movie from Fox studios. The movie is slated to be in theaters in November 2015. If it’s a hit, expect Shulz’s earning to climb the following year.

Elizabeth Taylor ranks fourth with $25 million in earnings. Thanks to her best-selling perfume and her old movies, Taylor still rakes it in. But as the last embodiment of old Hollywood glamour, everyone believes there’s a lot more that can be done with her brand. Expect more Elizabeth Taylor merchandise to roll out in the coming years.

Rounding out the top five is reggae singer Bob Marley with an estimated $20 million in earnings. The singer’s mellow mug can be seen on everything from messenger bags to T-shirts to a line of fruit-flavored drinks. The Marley beverage company’s motto: Live Relaxed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothy...-forbes-list-of-top-earning-dead-celebrities/

Actually he is the top earning celebrity dead or alive - Beyonce leads the list of the living artists with $115 million.

Second year in a row, is it?

I think he was Nr 1 every year since his death, except in 2011 when Liz Taylor died and temporarily took the Nr 1 spot.

Full list:

1. Michael Jackson $140 million
2. Elvis Presley $55 million
3. Charles Schulz $40 million
4. Elizabeth Taylor $25 million
5. Bob Marley $20 million
6. Marilyn Monroe $17 million
7. John Lennon $12 million
8. Albert Einstein $11 million
9. Theodor Geisel $9 million
=9. Bruce Lee $9 million
=9. Steve McQueen $9 million
=9. Bettie Page $9 million
13. James Dean $7 million

I meant in the overall top earning celebrities. Last year he made 160m which was +35m more than Madonna (who was most earning living person on 2013).

In 2009, 2011, 2012 Michael wasn't the top grossing non-living celebrity by the way, he was 2nd place those years. 1st place is 2010, 2013 and now :)

I meant in the overall top earning celebrities. Last year he made 160m which was +35m more than Madonna (who was most earning living person on 2013).

In 2009, 2011, 2012 Michael wasn't the top grossing non-living celebrity by the way, he was 2nd place those years. 1st place is 2010, 2013 and now :)

Do you have his earnings by year in those years? And also if he was 2nd who was first and how much they've earned.

OnirMJ;4049673 said:
Do you have his earnings by year in those years? And also if he was 2nd who was first and how much they've earned.

I could only find a summery I made last year when we got the 2013 update in which I mention the years he was 1st or 2nd places, However I did find this link I used - an article from last year that says Michael reclaims 1st place from Elizabeth Taylor so apparantly she was 1st place in both 2011 and 2012.

Jackson reclaims the No. 1 spot on our list from his friend Elizabeth Taylor. The movie star, who passed away in 2011, earned an estimated $210 million in the 12 months to October 2012 thanks to a series of lucrative auctions at Christie’s of Taylor’s art, jewels and clothes. This year her earnings dropped to an estimated $25 million, landing her in fourth place.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothy...our-list-of-the-top-earning-dead-celebrities/

here's last year's list
http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2013/dead-celebrities.html

Top 3 living top grossing celebrities of 2013:

(MJ 160m)

Madonna - 125m
Steven Spielberg - 100m
Simon Cowell - 95m

That's what I had written

I could only find a summery I made last year when we got the 2013 update in which I mention the years he was 1st or 2nd places, However I did find this link I used - an article from last year that says Michael reclaims 1st place from Elizabeth Taylor so apparantly she was 1st place in both 2011 and 2012.

He was Nr1. in 2011, so it was 2012 then when Liz was Nr 1. not 2011: http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2011/10/25/the-top-earning-dead-celebrities/

So what counts as earnings? George Lucas sold Lucasfilm for over $4 billion.

Last edited:
Soul dreamer, seeing stuff like this makes me sad too because it reminds me of right after his death people were asking the question: "was he worth more dead than alive?"

Now we know he was, basically. I personally am 100% sure his kids and estate are not the only ones benefiting from that wealth.

And it also makes me mad cuz MJ was almost a self fulfilling prophecy - he talked about (black) artists pretty much working their asses off, right up until they die not able to really enjoy the fruits of their labor, but rather everyone else does. And yet here we are - MJ ended his life working hard and in a financial hole and now that he's dead... He's a top earner. It pisses me off really tbh.

krikzil;4049702 said:
So what counts as earnings? George Lucas sold Lucasfilm for over $4 billion.

He cannot be on this list because he is not dead. As for why he does not top the top earning living celebrities list? I don't know, but when you look at it you will find Dr. Dre only at Nr 3. as well, even though he earned $650 million by selling his Beats by Dre company (which produces audio products such as headphones etc) to Apple: http://tinyurl.com/ngzmbhf

Despite of that he's only third and Beyoncé is Nr 1. with $115 million. So I guess there are other criterias as to from where/which activities the earning has to come from and maybe other factors as well.

respect77;4049826 said:
He cannot be on this list because he is not dead. As for why he does not top the top earning living celebrities list? I don't know, but when you look at it you will find Dr. Dre only at Nr 3. as well, even though he earned $650 million by selling his Beats by Dre company (which produces audio products such as headphones etc) to Apple: http://tinyurl.com/ngzmbhf

Despite of that he's only third and Beyoncé is Nr 1. with $115 million. So I guess there are other criterias as to from where/which activities the earning has to come from and maybe other factors as well.

I know he's not dead. Speaking to the living list and its curious discrepancies.

Dre is third because his Deal with apple isn't completely gone through.
There are still some formalities to be fulfilled.
So Dre's big payday will be next year.

Also George Lucas doesn't fit the list either, he is no artist, as al the other members of those lists (dead & living).

Could someone post the lists of top earning celebrities (dead & living) from 2009 till 2014?

Would be much appreciated. THX!

Also George Lucas doesn't fit the list either, he is no artist, as al the other members of those lists (dead & living).

But Albert Einstein isn't an artist either and he is there. Although Einstein besides being a physicist is also a cultural icon, so I guess that's why he is there - with income from the use of his likeness, image and pictures.

It's bittersweet. Glad that Michael's estate doing well but sad that he is on this kind of list.

Dre is third because his Deal with apple isn't completely gone through.
There are still some formalities to be fulfilled.
So Dre's big payday will be next

Spielberg made the list. Same - producer/director. (And since he created an entire universe and advanced SFX, I'd say George was an artist.)

It's bittersweet. Glad that Michael's estate doing well but sad that he is on this kind of list.
I so agree. And it does seem like every single solitary time this list comes out, something really bad happens within a month-Katherine's kidnapping, Quincy's lawsuit, Wade's "stuff", the IRS. I feel like everybody reads this and goes "I want some."

does anyone know how many times Michael made it to this list (or any list of sort) when he was alive? and the years?

"ABG CEO Jamie Salter told Ad Week that hologram Elvis will be up and running in the spring and that he might return to Las Vegas or even perform with hologram Michael Jackson."

I don't know what to think about that:scratch:
Elvis' estate should be careful because if they put hologram Elvis beside hologram Michael, hologram Michael will out-sing and out-dance Elvis off the stage:D

Last edited:
Not sure Priscilla is going to like it...

2gvo40w.png

Hologram elvis needs hologram mike more than the other way around. They're different generations, mj is still modern and fresh in popular culture, i wouldn't care for him to be associated with the old timers, however iconic they are.

Well, I don't like the idea either. It's tacky.

It's stupid. and what are they have "them" gonna do together exactly? I think the only song they have in common is "For The Good Times" anyway (which MJ rocked :wub:)

They also do not really appeal to the same audience. Mainly a different demographics, different taste.

Back