Michael Jackson was going to record my songs.. now I’m going to play them myself, says Ne-Yo

Webbie

Proud Member
R&B star Ne-Yo is planning a Michael Jackson tribute album featuring songs he claims the late singer planned to record.

The 31-year-old chart-topper says he met with Jackson to discuss the new album in the months before the superstar died at home in Los Angeles in June 2009.
The American says he wrote and demoed 10 songs that Jackson was set to record as his next long-player.
Ne-Yo, real name Shaffer Chimere Smith Jnr, said: “I never got the opportunity to go in the studio and record the songs with Mike so all the tracks still have my voice on them.
“They are all in demo form. We were going to go into the studio and record them after his tour.
“Of course, with his passing, we didn’t get the chance to do so.
“So I still have the songs. They are sitting in my archive, safe and sound, and I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do with them. The best idea I have is to go in and do my own Michael Jackson tribute album.
“I’ll re-sing the songs to the best of my ability and I will put them out and let the world know these are the songs that would have been blessed with the voice of Michael Jackson had he not left us so soon.”
Recalling his meeting with Jackson, Ne-Yo added: “I met Mike in New York. Someone told me he was a fan of my music and wanted to talk to me about working on his forthcoming project.
“So we met at a friend’s house. He was a genuinely nice guy, not because he wanted something from me or wanted me to feel comfortable so I would write songs for him.
“He was talking about music and the love of music. We parted ways after a few hours and I walked away able to say I had sat and had a conversation with a legend.”

Sourcehttp://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbi...o-play-them-myself-says-ne-yo-86908-22993338/

He was against MICHAEL album and he talked really bad to the media about new album. He said that someone is making money releasing Michael's music that maybe MJ wouldn't want to release.. he said that that is disrespectful! I don't like him.. I think that that is hypocritical. Now he will be making money for the songs that MJ didn't hear at all and who knows if Michael would have liked the songs and if he would have recorded it and released it!

If he didn't talked bad about MICHAEL and if he supported the album, I would say that this is a great project, but in this situation I don't like it at all. But everyone wants money, so I guess that will.i.am will do the same in the future..

dang mike was doing duets with everyone, even though he aint here to finish those ill definately get this album though!!! its nice neyo is doing a tribute

He was against MICHAEL album and he talked really bad to the media about new album. He said that someone is making money releasing Michael's music that maybe MJ wouldn't want to release.. he said that that is disrespectful! I don't like him.. I think that that is hypocritical. Now he will be making money for the songs that MJ didn't hear at all and who knows if Michael would have liked the songs and if he would have recorded it and released it!

If he didn't talked bad about MICHAEL and if he supported the album, I would say that this is a great project, but in this situation I don't like it at all. But everyone wants money, so I guess that will.i.am will do the same in the future..

Until official information is released on where the proceeds for this album are going, I would be quiet and not jump the gun. Ne-Yo's a decent guy, and the fact he said just that about 'Michael' makes me think he has plans. Seriously, Ne-Yo is not an ass, I can vouch for that.

I'm glad he chose this idea rather than giving the songs to the Jackson 4. I might actually buy this. If Michael was going to sing these songs, they must be good enough.

Until official information is released on where the proceeds for this album are going, I would be quiet and not jump the gun. Ne-Yo's a decent guy, and the fact he said just that about 'Michael' makes me think he has plans. Seriously, Ne-Yo is not an ass, I can vouch for that.

I will probably support that album and buy it, but he should have done the same with the MICHAEL album.

I will probably support that album and buy it, but he should have done the same with the MICHAEL album.

Fair point, but it was a contraversial release that a lot of people had a lot of different opinions on.

But moving on, this thread is about the songs Ne-Yo wrote for MJ.

We parted ways after a few hours and I walked away able to say I had sat and had a conversation with a legend.”

Liked this:clapping:

It will be nice to actually hear what these songs would've sounded like.

I don't know I have mixed feelings about this. To think these songs could have maybe ended up being in his album with his production, his changes, his re-tweeking and of course his voice- I think for me, it would be hard to listen to these songs. It would make me sad thinking what could have been. And these days, I try not to think of the "what could have been" when it comes to Michael. It is still and always be too painful.

And in truth we don't know how many of those songs Michael actually got to listen to or liked. I doubt it would have been an album's worth of songs.

At this point everyone "wrote these songs for Michael Jackson".

All these people who didn't want anything to do with him or defend him in public are now coming out saying 'yeah we were buddies' and 'He was going to record my songs'.

I don't believe it.

Only Akon and Lenny Kravitz are legit to me.

It really does not make a difference to me if neyo sings songs he intended to be for MJ, cause I will not care to hear them if it's not mj singing them.We never miss the water till the well run dry. It's too bad people never appreciated MJ while he was here, if he had released an album it would of been criticized just like invinceble was.

Just want to add that when most had turned their backs on michael, ne-yo was always honouring michael...you just have to look at the because of you video, total homage to mike! And that was around 07 I think?

Just want to add that when most had turned their backs on michael, ne-yo was always honouring michael...you just have to look at the because of you video, total homage to mike! And that was around 07 I think?

I agree with you. Too many people are trashing him here.

At this point everyone "wrote these songs for Michael Jackson".

All these people who didn't want anything to do with him or defend him in public are now coming out saying 'yeah we were buddies' and 'He was going to record my songs'.

I don't believe it.

Only Akon and Lenny Kravitz are legit to me.

Ok, you want some proof?

Ne-Yo Confirms Michael Jackson Collaboration [May 2008]

R+B sensation NE-YO has confirmed he is working on pop legend MICHAEL JACKSON's comeback album.

The So Sick singer, who has written hits for Rihanna and Beyonce Knowles, is now helping both Michael and Janet Jackson prepare new releases.

Ne-Yo, real name Shaffer Smith, reveals working with the Thriller hitmaker is one of his most challenging jobs yet.

He says, "I'm submitting songs for his new album. He's being very selective; very picky, but he's supposed to be. This is a going to be a really important album."

Ne-Yo isn't the first person to work with Jackson on his comeback album - will.i.am spent a large part of last year (07) in the studio with the pop superstar and Akon is rumoured to be part of the project as well.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/ne-yo-confirms-michael-jackson-collaboration_1069937

One question? so there's no song sang by MIke from Neyo??? i was always thinking about that...about MJ/neyo colabb...I guess there's none.

I vouch otherwise.

MJ did not record any of Ne-yo's songs...He sent MJ several songs to pick from, MJ sent them all back with notes of where he wanted to go, musically.

Ne Yo said so himself right after MJ passed, so how the hell was MJ going to record 10 of his songs.

Has MJ EVER recorded more than 2 or 3 song from the same songwriter on a single album?

Whatever Neyo. Story has changed since June 25th 2009.

Last edited:

exactly. Neyo can go back to criticizing Rolling Stone for putting Snooki on their cover..I do not care to hear another album from him.

Didn't Snooki just put him on blast??? Just sayin'

It really does not make a difference to me if neyo sings songs he intended to be for MJ, cause I will not care to hear them if it's not mj singing them.We never miss the water till the well run dry. It's too bad people never appreciated MJ while he was here, if he had released an album it would of been criticized just like invinceble was.

Quoted for truth. I may support someone ELSE. but Neyo can wear all the glittery white socks he wants..I still will not buy another album from him. Even though, I bought his first 3.

And I find it REALLY suspicious that he is NOW talking about recording songs "intended" for MJ...a mere 3 months after his last album tanked like the hot mess it is.

Last edited:
I don't think I will buy this album. To me it looks like Michael had nothing to do with these songs, he neither wrote them nor provided his vocals. Thus I am not interested.

Michael rang me up on June 24th 2009 and said he wanted me to take him clothes shopping in Milton Keynes on June 26th. We never got to do the shopping trip in the end but I still have the list I wrote back then and am going to sell it on eBay as "Michael Jackson's final shopping list."

its a shame he never got to record these songs :( but its a good thing that ne yo is doing this :yes:

Michael rang me up on June 24th 2009 and said he wanted me to take him clothes shopping in Milton Keynes on June 26th. We never got to do the shopping trip in the end but I still have the list I wrote back then and am going to sell it on eBay as "Michael Jackson's final shopping list."

lol..

I vouch otherwise.

MJ did not record any of Ne-yo's songs...He sent MJ several songs to pick from, MJ sent them all back with notes of where he wanted to go, musically.

Ne Yo said so himself right after MJ passed, so how the hell was MJ going to record 10 of his songs.

Has MJ EVER recorded more than 2 or 3 song from the same songwriter on a single album?

Whatever Neyo. Story has changed since June 25th 2009.

??

OK, I must be wrong then.

Like I said, many coming out now saying Michael was going to record their songs Neyo included lol

It's nice he paid hommage to Michael in some video, but that's has nothing to do with these 10 songs. Beyonce, Britney Spears and Chili also supported Michael in 2007, 2008 ect but so far none have claimed to have written songs for Michael..so far lol

Let's see what happens. :timer: I like Ne-yo.
same here, I really like Ne-Yo
In my opinion, it is different if the songs were "meant" to be for MJ, for it means MJ never touched them, so it's all about NeYo stuff... but well, let's wait and "hear" :)

I don't think I will buy this album. To me it looks like Michael had nothing to do with these songs, he neither wrote them nor provided his vocals. Thus I am not interested.
Yes, I agree. As you say, these could be considered "MJ-inspired" songs, not MJ-songs at all. If any, potentially-maybe-MJ-songs-someday, but not MJ songs.

I'm a fan of neyo myself and i'd love to get this album!

MattyJam;3301292but I still have the list I wrote back then and am going to sell it on eBay as "Michael Jackson's final shopping list."[/QUOTE said:
Its all bout the $$$$$ :no::no:

Back