Michael Jackson's BAD World Tour: Future Blu-Ray Release?

How Would You Like To See The BAD Tour Blu-Ray Conducted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In addition, if Scorsese was watching it on film then he would've almost certainly allowed them to take the film and digitalise it for the documentary. Scorsese is a huge vocal supporter of the preservation of film and has personally helped fund many restoration projects where they would digitally scan and restore the film. It seems very unlikely he wouldn't at the very least hand over the film for his own short film, especially since it would help preserve it for future generations.
It looks like they did scan footage for the documentary from the film reels. I don't remember exactly but I'm sure they showed HD footage from the short films and not just behind the scenes stuff. Here is great video someone made using the footage:

It looks like they did scan footage for the documentary from the film reels. I don't remember exactly but I'm sure they showed HD footage from the short films and not just behind the scenes stuff.

Yep they did for the BTS stuff. It's been a few years since I last watched it but for the actual short films, I'm pretty sure they are presented in the doco using the SD versions.

Why? I'm not entirely sure. For starters, you would expect that Spike Lee would use high definition versions from Moonwalker but it's possible there might be some rights issues we don't know of that barred the use of the HD footage. Perhaps Warner are the rights holders to the high definition footage that they scanned and restored and they refused to let Lee use the footage (or they wanted more money than what was offered)? Might explain why I've never seen Estate productions utilise that high definition footage. That's my hypothetical guess anyway.

The short films that weren't in Moonwalker though? There are rumours that while many were shot on film, they were then edited on tape (and judging by the footage we have, it does look like it's from a tape source). If that is the case, then the Estate would have to locate every single film reel (at least the takes that were used), rescan all of these negatives, clean up the film from any dirt/scratches and restore it. They'd have to then recut it all together at the exact frame, as well as create new mixes (no-one would want the same old 2.0 mixes we've had since Adam was a boy in a new HD release) and this would mean they'd have to locate all the audio material used in the film such as extended mixes, ADR (if there is any) and the like. I mean it's an incredibly huge and expensive undertaking so I can definitely see it as a project that would take years. There would also be many CGI VFX in the Dangerous/HIStory films that would have to be redone as well, but I don't think that would apply as much here since we're talking about the Bad era.

Back