Michael Jackson's BAD World Tour: Future Blu-Ray Release?

How Would You Like To See The BAD Tour Blu-Ray Conducted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd love to have BAD Tour 1988 on Blu Ray, but I'm still happy and great full with the Wembley DVD I Got. Cause years ago, I never thought that I'd be able to see a full length BAD Tour concert.

And to be honest I never thought the quality on the Wembley DVD was that bad. It's not unwatchable, but I haven't been spoiled by HD

Honestly, some of you probably have never seen THIS IS IT/The Wiz or Moonwalker on Blu-Ray :bugeyed
I'll admit I have not. However, I did see both 'This is It' AND 'The Wiz' on opening night at the movie theatre. Does that count? I'd imagine it would be like Blu-Ray and HD but on a much more gigantic screen.
(And by the way, I came out of the Wiz-hating the movie but absolutely loving Michael's performance and the music and had gone nuts over those Tony Walton sets and costumes. I told everyone I knew to go see it).

I don't have anything against Blu-Ray or HD-but I don't like it when we're forced to buy a blu-ray player or an HD television because the only product sold has to be played on it. I had to buy a CD player when they quit making albums. I had to buy a DVD player only because they quit renting VHS tapes. So...

I do love my DVD of Wembley-it's romantic thinking that I'm watching the very same copy that Michael watched himself over and over and over. But if they can make a good quality tour or montage stuffed with extras, I'm ALL FOR IT.

I don't have anything against Blu-Ray or HD-but I don't like it when we're forced to buy a blu-ray player or an HD television because the only product sold has to be played on it. I had to buy a CD player when they quit making albums. I had to buy a DVD player only because they quit renting VHS tapes. So...
Technology evolves. I'm glad that we are no longer watching VHS. You could say that all the home video formats before Blu-Ray have been bad because they can't play the source material in the real quality. With Blu-Ray we can finally start to see the detail that is in the old movies.

It's 2015. It's time you get with the times if you don't have an HD tv. They are dirt cheap now :) (assuming you don't have one).
And technology will always move onto the next format.

As for Blu Ray, no one cares about Blu Ray. It's almost as dead as DVD. It's all about streaming and DL to be honest.
However, you're missing the point regarding a film-sourced Bad Tour show.
It would look amazing even on an SD DVD (which they would do both formats if it ever came out). It's just the Blu Ray version would look a helluva a lot better.
And both would surpass that awful Wembley quality.

^^ I remember seeing BAD25 on BBC Two, i didn't have Freeview HD but even the standard def broadcast looked incredible. I was blown away, and it just makes me more anxious to see the high def transfers in the future. I wish i could have more faith in the estate, but it's difficult even to try.

It's 2015. It's time you get with the times if you don't have an HD tv. They are dirt cheap now :) (assuming you don't have one).
And technology will always move onto the next format.

As for Blu Ray, no one cares about Blu Ray. It's almost as dead as DVD. It's all about streaming and DL to be honest.
However, you're missing the point regarding a film-sourced Bad Tour show.
It would look amazing even on an SD DVD (which they would do both formats if it ever came out). It's just the Blu Ray version would look a helluva a lot better.
And both would surpass that awful Wembley quality.
no, I didn't miss the point. I definitely want to see a film sourced version. I already said that. And I want it in theaters and I want the DVD stuffed with every piece of extra backstage video possible.

I know they don't have horse and buggies anymore either but I just prefer to buy stuff because I really want it, not because I have to. :)

It's my dream to see the Liverpool show. Michael sounded on form, the crowd is amazing and the shots of the concert look great.
That being said I would love to see the New York MSG show (March 5 I think the one with SC, TWYMMF and Bad live) because it sounds amazing and the clips we have are amazing, but mainly for the Man In The Mirror adlibs, "you, you, you, you" it gives me chills just thinking about it. I'm really happy with the show we've got though...

I remember someone saying that for one BAD Tour show the adlibs for Man In The Mirror was ''Reach for the stars, reach up for the stars''

The European concerts are very veryyy good, but for me, maybe one of USA early 1988 is the best option, all 100% live except Man in the Mirror in the first half, i know, We have London July 16, is a great concert , but there is not The Way You Make Me Feel and esta make me very sad, my dream is to show 1988 with Full set list only. the vocals lives in New York March 5 is perfect, but March 3 was much better, and tatiana was here for the last time. I love Los Angeles 1989 too, is very dificult in Bad Tour from Europe xD i love Rome, Turin, Paris, Cologne, Munich, London or Liverpool 14,15,23 ... i love the stadiums concerts, is very different from USA and i love the Thousands people with 70 or 80, is very emotional.

I've always wondered what concert is in the MTV documentary "Another Part Of Me" somebody knows? Munich could be perhaps, that concert seems good and always wanted to see more of that.

It's my dream to see the Liverpool show. Michael sounded on form, the crowd is amazing and the shots of the concert look great.
That being said I would love to see the New York MSG show (March 5 I think the one with SC, TWYMMF and Bad live) because it sounds amazing and the clips we have are amazing, but mainly for the Man In The Mirror adlibs, "you, you, you, you" it gives me chills just thinking about it. I'm really happy with the show we've got though...

Man for real, Man In The Mirror from MSG is amaaazing!

I remember someone saying that for one BAD Tour show the adlibs for Man In The Mirror was ''Reach for the stars, reach up for the stars''

Whaat? did the person say from what show? I would love to hear that !

Do you mean this?:

There is footage from Europe and USA. The Man in the Mirror part around 7:30 is the same concert we can see in Moonwalker:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...-film/page44?p=4052120&viewfull=1#post4052120

Minneapolis might be the city.

Don't think I've seen that for 27 years! Thank you, it was brilliant.

I really don't want to derail this thread, but quite why anyone would choose HIStory tour over this mystifies me. There's more excitement in the few clips on here than in the whole 2 hours there.

It's hard to tell, considering how crap the video quality is

I was only going to watch this for a second, but I couldn't stop and now my eyes are all whacked out. The most horrible shaky camera, no sound and you can't stop watching. Even on a teensy phone.

He's just an electric ball of fire here-best concert ever was or ever will be.

(And Bush was right. Those costumes perfectly accentuate every move, every gesture-no matter how bad your seats were).

I hope the Estate does something. Weren't the Bad 25/Wembley DVD sales a lot lower than they expected? I hope that doesn't deter them from restoring these concerts :/

Any second leg tour on film would be awesome. Some say quality isn't important, but if people want the closest to a concert experience of his, and something truly lasting in Michael's legacy, it needs to be sourced from film. As much as I love the Wembley VHS, I could see people from decades in the future not fully respecting the magic it has, because it's "not in HD *scoff* This looks so old"

Hell, I saw people here on the forum saying things like that the day it was released, and ever since...

^^i find that so sad. With that reasoning, the Charlie Chaplin and Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movies and countless others would be considered "old" and not magical works of art.

Definitely. Some of the most moving films are ones that were decades before today's IMAX, 3D, CGI craze. Unfortunately, a video's quality, at least for some people, makes it dated and somehow makes it less meaningful. It'd be sad if Michael's work was treated like that. That's the only reason I would want at least one BAD Concert on film. So people can enjoy and focus on the actual performance and music, and not the resolution or the audio source, and other trivial things.

EDIT: Which reminds me, Charlie Chaplin is actually on Blu-ray, looks amazing, lol :)

Last edited:
^^i find that so sad. With that reasoning, the Charlie Chaplin and Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movies and countless others would be considered "old" and not magical works of art.

Not the best comparison considering just about all of Chaplin's features are actually available on Blu-ray in HD, along with many of his shorts. Had the pleasure of watching many of them myself in High Definition :p

As much as I love the Wembley VHS, I could see people from decades in the future not fully respecting the magic it has, because it's "not in HD *scoff*

I would actually wait a few more years to give them the chance to release an HD version before I start worrying what people a few decades down the line think.

I can't stand people who refuse to watch something unless it's in HD. I love HD. I think it's very pretty to look at, but that shouldn't be the be all and end all of why something should be enjoyed.

Not the best comparison considering just about all of Chaplin's features are actually available on Blu-ray in HD, along with many of his shorts. Had the pleasure of watching many of them myself in High Definition :p
I'm glad you had the opportunity. I'm a firm believer in film preservation myself and want all of those films restored-I've donated money to AFI and others through the years because I think it's vitally important.

But my comment was mostly related to the films that I watched (totally unrestored) on TV while growing up back in the sixties or on the big screen during summer film festivals in the 80's and 90's-the quality might have been grainy, but I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world. I was in absolute heaven watching those old RKO/MGM Musicals, etc. on the big screen.

I'm glad you had the opportunity. I'm a firm believer in film preservation myself and want all of those films restored-I've donated money to AFI and others through the years because I think it's vitally important.

But my comment was mostly related to the films that I watched (totally unrestored) on TV while growing up back in the sixties or on the big screen during summer film festivals in the 80's and 90's-the quality might have been grainy, but I wouldn't have missed that experience for the world. I was in absolute heaven watching those old RKO/MGM Musicals, etc. on the big screen.

Awesome! I too am a very firm believer in the preservation and restoration of film and I think it's really cool you've donated to help the AFI etc :)

I do understand your point though and even agree somewhat as I'd hate for people to dismiss some incredible films simply because the visual quality isn't up-to-par. In my personal experience, I have noticed that if it at least watchable (which the Wembley VHS is), the magic can and will still get through. Maybe that'll change in decades to come but at least for now, that's what I notice.

I'm not worrying so much right now about what fans in a few decades will think considering it has only been two and a half years since the VHS version has been released (and they're not going to suddenly do another 'Bad' campaign 2-3 years after). I have good faith we'll get an HD version of the Bad Tour at least sometime in the next 5-10 years though, especially considering rumours of the Estate finding film material around/after the release of Bad 25.

Weren't the Bad 25/Wembley DVD sales a lot lower than they expected? I hope that doesn't deter them from restoring these concerts :/

Bad 25 sold much lower than anticipated, though that was not the fault of the Wembley show. Most buyers apparently have no idea that the DVD was sourced from a twenty-four year old VHS tape. It's simply that anniversary packages generally don't sell well. Sony put more money into the project than was necessary and didn't get back much of a profit.

With BAD 25 I think a lot of people just assumed that it was only a re-release of BAD and nothing else

Back