Michael Jackson’s Funeral – the Most Viewed Event in the World (Merged)

KB50MJ

Proud Member
Now Ebony claims it was viewed by an estimated 2 billion people

After all the controversy surrounding the issue of Michael Jackson and racial identity, leave it to the everlasting genius of the man to depart world by giving it the flat out Blackest cultural event ever recorded. And it was a beautiful thing to see.

All it needed was someone falling across the casket crying and an usher telling everyone to leave so the next funeral could come in to bring it all the way home. But for all the madness ramped up by the media and fans treating passes as if they were golden tickets from Willie Wonka, the end result was pure, tender, heartfelt, wonderful and appropriate. God and Michael were praised unapologetically and confidently without fear of ratings or reprisals. It was brilliant.

Prior to the event, the expectation in the press was that the private emotional moments would happen out of camera range at the private service at Forest Lawn cemetery, with the memorial at Staples Center being a commercial, concert-oriented way for the fans to connect. Yet when report came in that the casket would indeed be carried to Staples Center and it would be placed it front of the stage, there was an immediate sense that we might be getting something other than a tribute show. That sense was correct.

It was, in fact, a real, true funeral in the Black tradition. And while it was broadcast around the globe to an estimated 2 billion people worldwide, one wonders if viewers in Belgrade, Prague, Beijing and Tokyo felt the nuances that some of us felt. If Usher walking to the casket didn’t send you back to your aunt/mother/grandma’s home-going, you may have missed some of the beauty of the moment, even as you enjoyed it thoroughly.

On CNN, Anderson Cooper and Soledad O’Brien smartly took themselves out of the conversation early and let the event speak for itself. It quickly became clear that if Parker House tools, fried chicken, greens and a drunk uncle are not part of your funeral tradition, it was best not to speak.

Al Sharpton, unscripted as he would be in a pulpit, reached out to the children in the defiant way you only see at a Baptist memoriam when the deceased “had issues” and he killed it. Brooke Shields was beautiful and funny. Jennifer Hudson and Usher made the office cry. Smokey Robinson, who doesn’t look a day over 50, reminded us that he, Berry Gordy and the rest of the Motown crew were only children themselves when we loved them first. Jermaine made us remember he can really sing and he did it in a way that showed not just talent but bravery and strength. Marlon broke us down and called for a lasting peace. Paris finished us off. Michael was above all, Daddy.

We’re done now. Those of us who loved Michael and have passed him on to new generations can be satisfied that we are keeping a legacy. The Jackson family took control of their brother’s image and left us with the memory we needed to move on.

Come back to EbonyJet.com regularly for photo updates from the memorial and the day’s events.

http://www.ebonyjet.com/culture/music/index.aspx?id=13776

And this site claims it is not yet officaly known

Michael Jackson’s public funeral at the Los Angeles Staples Center might become the most watched ceremony of all time. Jackson memorial service must overcome some other famous events like the 1963 killing of JFK Kennedy that kept the people shocked for about three days, the moon landing of Apollo 11 mission supposed to have reached an audience of a billion or the 1997 Princess Diana funeral viewed by about 2.5 billion people according to BBC.

http://infowebexplore.blogspot.com/2009/07/michael-jacksons-funeral-most-viewed.html

Still waiting for official confirmation.

Re: Michael Jackson’s Funeral – the Most Viewed Event in the World

I hope it officially becomes the most watched event in history.

Still breaking records, even now. That man just DOESN'T know when to quit! :D

well lets hope our moonwalker beats the moon landing. :-D

You know Michael. If it isnt the biggest event ever, he'll be unhappy with it and make us all go through it again till we get it right! :D

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Michael Jackson is the biggest name in entertainment. What other celebrity has a fanbase in every country on the planet?

This seems to be true I saw another news in Korean reporting the same thing.
Mike. You ARE amazing.

I watched it twice. Some TV stations are re-playing it.

Yeah, I been watching it over and over again. I keep telling yall Michael is gonna be breaking some serious records in the next years to come. Wait until that new album comes out. You aint seen nothin yet!

Well I watched the memorial so that makes it 2 billion and one. lol

I watched it too.

Long live the king! :)

Did the official figures come out yet though?

Was his funeral the most viewed event in history?

Wouldn't be surprised either. There were so many tv stations broadcasting it here that you only by turning your tv off you could avoid watching it.

And that article is just great, loved it. Thanks.

too bad this recognition comes after his death, there will only be one! :)

Princess Di's funeral attracted a global audience of 2.5 billion people and 3 million people lined the streets of London on the day of her funeral - 5% of the U.K. population, which is equivalent to 15 million people lining the streets for MJs funeral, so not the biggest. :(

Though it doesn't really matter at all because it's quite a shallow thing to be worrying about.

I watched it too and all my family members. So many channels were showing it in my country.

Did the official figures come out yet though?

Was his funeral the most viewed event in history?

Νο, Ι don't think they have yet.

Anytime now..

You know Michael. If it isnt the biggest event ever, he'll be unhappy with it and make us all go through it again till we get it right! :D

lol, I'm a Virgo and this made me laugh about how I do stuff again and again and again until its perfect. People tell me to chill more but whats the point in doing something unless you give your best? Michael proved that in his work.

My brother is a virgo and even while growing up, I saw the similarities in them. I think that's why it hit me so had when MJ passed. But, it doesn't matter how many people watched it, he still left an impact on the world

2 billion would be enough..., but media like FOX, BBC, CNN.... will never admit such "success"....

MJ deserves to still be breaking records, I'm sure he will break many more into the future too.

2 billion is pushing it IMO. Let's be serious hehe.

Well finally.... it seems..., no I wonder if the memorial was realy:

1/ the Most Viewed Event in the World

or

2/ the most underestimated event in the world, because no media reports about that, on the contrary... most of them report that there were (only) hundrads of millions of viewers, but... as far as I think... it was at least 1 billion.... if you consider all the media coverage and TV specials and and and...

But why the media underestimate the numbers???

well we know why...

Re: Michael Jackson Memorial Service Ratings: 31 Million

what about worldwide tho :)

Re: Michael Jackson Memorial Service Ratings: 31 Million

Ronald Reagan is dead? :(

Back