Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

An album by Michael Jackson happens to be the biggest selling EVER. Of course that needs celebrating. It should be celebrated more IMHO.

I get that people have varying tastes when it comes to music. I get that some fans prefer OTW, BAD, or Dangerous to Thriller. But I don't get fans complaining and moaning about "yet another milking" of THE BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM OF ALL TIME.

Thriller is a great album. It's the best-selling album of all time. It remains a benchmark for what pop music is capable of. No other album in the history of the recording industry has come close to reaching its sales, and it's incredibly doubtful that any album ever will.

All of that information has been ground into the dirt at this point. The media has established Thriller as revolutionary on almost a weekly basis. Walk around and ask people if they've heard the title track or "Billie Jean" or "Beat It" or "Human Nature" or "P.Y.T." and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who says no. Everyone is well aware of the impact Thriller made.

But Michael Jackson has five other adult studio albums, four of which rank among the best-selling of all time and hold records of their own in terms of worldwide sales and single sales. They deserve the praise more than Thriller does.

If the Michael Jackson Estate were to never mention Thriller again, it would continue to randomly chart on worldwide charts and continue to rack up sales. This isn't the case for Dangerous or History - without recognition, they fade into the background.

Thriller has been shining for thirty-four years. Let it go for a while.

Overall though, when it comes to these posthumous releases I honestly never expect anything as good as what Michael did when he was alive, so if they do something and it turns out to actually be good that's just a plus for me.

I'm interested to see what this project is, but I can't see it being anything but a BluRay release (in either 2D or 3D).

I guess the film could be released as a 'short' in cinemas, playing ahead of Halloween movies but I doubt it will.
There could be a TV special to celebrate Thriller, but again I doubt it will be.

As somebody else said 3D is over now, at least for the next few years until better technology emerges.It's a fad that has been appearing and disappearing for decades. a 3D Thriller release in 2009 would have been awesome but in 2017 it'll seem a bit behind the curve IMO. It won't be possible to do a convincing VR version of Thriller because not all needed camera angles were recorded.

In my opinion the best thing that could happen is they tie the new Thriller product in with the Ghosts short film. Not enough people know about Ghosts. again, I doubt that will happen.

Saying other albums deserve more attention does not take anything away from Thriller.. It's just the shadow Thriller creates on his other work is dark. I mean it's a better problem to have than many when it comes to album attention BUT... Michael Jackson was not just an 80's pop star which he seems to be categorized as too often because of the success of that album. Dangerous album and era were huge... HIStory had great success but it just does not get the attention they deserve.

Saying other albums deserve more attention does not take anything away from Thriller.. It's just the shadow Thriller creates on his other work is dark. I mean it's a better problem to have than many when it comes to album attention BUT... Michael Jackson was not just an 80's pop star which he seems to be categorized as too often because of the success of that album. Dangerous album and era were huge... HIStory had great success but it just does not get the attention they deserve.

True.

As far as I understand they can’t just create Thriller 3D and job is done (IF it is Thriller 3D), they also will have to release it somehow and to present it to the public around the globe! And here I’m very curious how it will be done and IMO it will be the most interesting part. I think in 2017 there’ll be more releases actually and I don’t mind Thriller to be one of them, especially on its 35.

I mean John Landis is entitled to his opinions about MJ and what he did with surgery. I personally do feel he went too far. Without all the makeup he wore I doubt he would have looked anywhere near as good. I agree with John that he went way too far with surgery. He probably exaggerated but I agree with his sentiment that he went too far.

Michael did not have as many surgeries as people think

I mean John Landis is entitled to his opinions about MJ and what he did with surgery. I personally do feel he went too far. Without all the makeup he wore I doubt he would have looked anywhere near as good. I agree with John that he went way too far with surgery. He probably exaggerated but I agree with his sentiment that he went too far.

But why do people even talk about his face? How freaking primitive is that?
Especially about someone who had all kinds of disfiguring conditions.
They don't even know his full medical record. They don't know
what was done and why. But they feel the need to comment on this or that "wrong" part of his face.
Do they talk as much about other people's face too?

People look the way they do. So what?
This is a big universe there are all kinds of noses and foreheads and ears in it.
Why they **** did John Landis feel the need to even talk about someone's nose or face?

Just stupid.

Last edited:

He said some down right nasty things.its not just a passing comment. what sort of adult says that. You expect it from kids as they dont know better but i guess hes never heard of the saying about you may think it but you dont say it out loud.even more so when it was about a supposed friend or someone u knew at some point.

Hes caught the quincy jones bitter and twisted bug.

You can certainly say that again KOPV. There was sooooo much more to Michael's artistry than his 80s output. Although his curiosity for life and extreme sensitivity were a part of him almost from the very start, I think it was only with the advent of Dangerous that his intelligence and maturity as an artist began to properly shine on record.

There were elements in his earlier work with his brothers which hinted at those as well, but it seems to me that starting with the 90s Michael evolved well beyond the easy rhymes and funky routines with zombies and gangsters. It was then when he truly put his fame, fortune and talents to great use for causes which went far beyond the scope of entertainment.

But of course, a bit of levity is always welcome and quite necessary as well. One can't dwell only on the dark side of existence, right? So I guess a Thriller routine can't really hurt anyone. And if it's followed by a Heal the world sing-along, even better :p

Last edited:

He said some down right nasty things.its not just a passing comment. what sort of adult says that. You expect it from kids as they dont know better but i guess hes never heard of the saying about you may think it but you dont say it out loud.even more so when it was about a supposed friend or someone u knew at some point.

Hes caught the quincy jones bitter and twisted bug.

Exactly!
The comments from both Quincy and Landis are extremely messed up things to say about someone they supposedly "cared" about.
It's sad that even some of Michael's "friends" didn't think he deserved basic human decency and kindness.

It's not really fair to categorize Landis and Michael as friends to begin with. At most, they were friendly colleagues who didn't spend time together outside of filming and didn't talk on the phone. Referring to Landis as Michael's friend was a misnomer to begin with.

For that reason alone, I'm not at all affected by Landis' comments. Not excusing what he said, but they don't hold the same weight as if, say, Brad Buxer or Chris Tucker were to say something. Landis and Michael had a brief (albeit massively successful) collaborative run, but Landis isn't in the upper levels of importance as far as Michael's catalog is concerned.

Besides, Quincy Jones has said some less-than-positive things about Michael, and people are still pining for him to have a hand in any future project involving the "holy trinity".

However they release It I am sure we will enjoy it.. The fact that Landis has to be involves shows that it's an in-depth project. If it were JUST making the same video in 3D John would not need to be a part of it. Just sign off of for it and give things to a team... He actually worked and finalized the project..

Hes prob only part of it cause of the lawsuit he filed. Prob part of the settlement. A nice payday for him.i guess mikes not weird enough for him to not want to make money off him

^ Well he said he worked on the project and completed it... He made it sound like he was part of the creative process and is in partnership of some sort with the estate with it. he said he would tell what the project is but "the estate would kill him"

What was it Landis said about this project in 2014? Wasn't he more specific back then?

if they do a Blu ray, it should include a documentary + HD music video remaster + making of. Though I really don't care if it's 3D or not. HD is enough for me.

Last edited:

Old Landis quote: "It is going to reappear in a highly polished and three-dimensional way that is very exciting on the big screen," He also mentioned ' Or Blu-ray'

But who knows how the project evolved since ..

I have absolutely no intrest in 3D.

HD on the other hand - that would be nice. 4K would be perfect.

Blu-Ray is already old. We need Ultra HD now - 4K.

Most people have UHD-4K - flatscreens nowadays, so if they make a new release, they should aim for the future (4K) and not the past (Blu-Ray)

And no company even produces 3D flatscreen anymore... They were no good and a huge failure regarding sales etc. - people didn't want to sit home with stupid glasses on and watch TV.... - So I see no reason for SONY or the Estate to waste time and money on a 3D project... - Not many cares for 3D really....

^ that stuff is cool but IDK what neighborhood you live in lol! nowhere near 'most' has UHD-4K around me... I am not sure if I know anyone that does, well maybe one friend, I'm not sure.. I see many more people taking advanage of the price drops and buying an average quality TV (getting HD channels) but getting a much larger TV..

Most people have UHD-4K - flatscreens nowadays, so if they make a new release, they should aim for the future (4K) and not the past (Blu-Ray)

And no company even produces 3D flatscreen anymore... They were no good and a huge failure regarding sales etc. - people didn't want to sit home with stupid glasses on and watch TV.... - So I see no reason for SONY or the Estate to waste time and money on a 3D project... - Not many cares for 3D really....

I have a 3D television. I rarely use the 3D function I'll admit but I always enjoy the effect, I think it's as impressive as you see in cinemas.

I have a 3D television. I rarely use the 3D function I'll admit but I always enjoy the effect, I think it's as impressive as you see in cinemas.

VR headsets like Oculus, HTC Vive or PS4 VR are even more immersive than 3D TV/glasses technology. I wouldn't mind being in the middle of the cemetery during thriller or...on the sofa with Ola ;-)

Blu Ray isn't a thing of the past, you get 4K Blu Rays, just not many as barely any of the population has the desire to upgrade or technology to play them. Once 4K TV's and players come down in price and most people have them we will see much more 4K Blu Rays released. I agree about the 3D. Especially with a film that was never filmed with this intention, it's pointless and degrades visual quality.

we can put DVD vs. blu ray vs. 4K blu ray or any other thing but the fact of the matter is physical disc is going away... even when you buy a physical disc it comes with a code to have a downloadable version.

VR headsets like Oculus, HTC Vive or PS4 VR are even more immersive than 3D TV/glasses technology. I wouldn't mind being in the middle of the cemetery during thriller or...on the sofa with Ola ;-)

Sure but the media was never designed to be seen in this way. I'm not necessarily against it but it's quite a jump to go from 3D of the original movie to a VR experience.

I thought Blu Ray was the co star in the short film?

Well, if it is in fact a 3D version then it will give the people that like 3D something to enjoy and also the people that want an HD version that as well (since they have to convert it to HD to make the 3D version). So everybody wins.

I would personally love to have a 3D version if done well.

^ Well since we all know John Landis is working on a 3D project regarding Thriller... What's so 'top secret'? ohhhhhh the mystorieees lol

Back