Michael rehearsed for the first 30th Anniversary concert?

Galactus123

Proud Member
Donations
$18.00
In 2001 during the first concert Michael didn't perform very well and we know why but many people also say that he didn't rehearse for it. I have heard people say that he only came to rehearse for the 2nd show and that is why it was better. In Wikipedia it also reads that Michael himself said that he didn't rehearse for the first show but I don't know where that quote comes from(it doesn't say). Is there some source that says that he didn't? Michael performed The Way You Make Me Feel with Britney Spears in the first show and there are rehearsal pics:

10153827_837374873005256_6479126165913482747_n_zpsaqwqkdlu.jpg

tumblr_nqbfcrdAFr1srji4jo1_500.jpg

Here is a video where Anthony Kind is analyzing Michael rehearsing Billie Jean intro for the 30th anniversary show...

Also, here is another footage from September 10, left corner angle. The person was able to catch come night angles.

Last edited:
He definitely seems 'off' here - still amazing but moving more like an MJ impersonator. He wasn't feeling well was he not? His vocals though were great and what you would expect. (Talking about the songs he sang live not Billie Jean although nothing wrong with those ab-libs)

If you compare this to the Michael we saw in This is It he was back on IT moving around like the MJ we know.

The first 30th anniversary show was mostly painful to watch. Sad to see.

well I'll just say I'm glad it was a taping over a live broadcast.. While Michael had magic even at his worse, it's not a side I'd like the public to see.. He was definitely not ok those nights.. Second night better, but you can totally tell he was not "there"...

He definitely seems 'off' here - still amazing but moving more like an MJ impersonator. He wasn't feeling well was he not? His vocals though were great and what you would expect. (Talking about the songs he sang live not Billie Jean although nothing wrong with those ab-libs)

If you compare this to the Michael we saw in This is It he was back on IT moving around like the MJ we know.

He was on drugs a lot around this time.

Last edited:
Also, by his standards he was really out of shape during the Invincible era.

That show is hard to watch regardless which version ur watching (private footage, CBS edit, etc).. He was so obviously out of it, his dancing wasn't up to par (as said before, like an impersonator), he lip synced almost his entire solo section (he sounded amazing with his bros tho!), covered his face for half the show, and his mouth area wasn't working like normal..

He should've also did more material from Invincible.. What could've been... Oh well..

Which one of the 2 nights were The Jacksons performance shown? Or was it a mixed between the 2. Would like to see both nights of The Jacksons performances because he was great during that part of the show.

Which one of the 2 nights were The Jacksons performance shown? Or was it a mixed between the 2. Would like to see both nights of The Jacksons performances because he was great during that part of the show.

September 7th(other parts are on Youtube too):

September 10th:

That Billie Jean performance has been my all time favorite - can't understand the negativity! He looked and danced and sang really good with a little pinch of maturity (which isn't a bad thing lol).

That Billie Jean performance has been my all time favorite - can't understand the negativity! He looked and danced and sang really good with a little pinch of maturity (which isn't a bad thing lol).
He didn't sing if you are talking about Billie Jean. It was playback.

Watch this. There was something wrong:

Last edited:
He didn't sing if you are tlaking about Billie Jean. It was playback.

Watch this. There was something wrong:

Well I was referring to the MSG concert as a whole in the second part.

For reference here to Euan :blush: Since we discussed this on #MJJCchat :D

It was indeed the 2nd night you were referring too as the first night Michael ripped his Black pants and so had to wear his white ones for YRMW :D

See, The info was stored on my 'hard drive' :cheeky:

That's sad to watch tbh. You can tell he's not with it at all during the whole concert imo.

Agreed. I wonder what fans that were there thought? I mean, you don't need to be a fan to see he's totally out of it, but it would be interesting to hear what their perspective is of their experience at the show? I can't believe he managed to do the whole show that sedated IMO.

Agreed. I wonder what fans that were there thought? I mean, you don't need to be a fan to see he's totally out of it, but it would be interesting to hear what their perspective is of their experience at the show? I can't believe he managed to do the whole show that sedated IMO.

I doubt nobody noticed like David Guest said. I would've been worried tbh. I agree I'm surprised he was even able to do it.

I can't imagine what it must've felt like to be on stage with everyone watching you while being that 'out of it'.. it's surprising what he managed to do considering the state he was in, but it's hard to watch him struggle, I really feel for him.. :(

What puzzles me is how some fans say that he was in better shape here than what he was during This It It

What puzzles me is how some fans say that he was in better shape here than what he was during This It It

Well I wouldn't say This Is It the movie is really an accurate representation of how he was tbh. I don't think he was in good shape there or in This Is It. Although I'm not gonna compare them haha.

^^I cried thru this whole show. My heart just hurt from watching Marlon Brando, and Elizabeth to watching Liza, Whitney and of effects of the hard living and of course, Michael killed me. Cried like a baby for him.

The one thing that got me thru it and I'll always be grateful for-- for Michael's sake--that audience screamed like it was 1988.

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't say This Is It the movie is really an accurate representation of how he was tbh. I don't think he was in good shape there or in This Is It. Although I'm not gonna compare them haha.

During This Is It. He was sharp and focused, and looked a lot happier. And the Doctor who performed MJ's autopsy said that Michael was incredibility healthy for a 50 year old. Michael didn't die because he was unhealthy. He died because Dr. Quack didn't do his job properly

The worst to me is when he was showing up to the event and he says "All my love Michael Jackson." Honestly that was the first time in my life I ever worried!! I definitely was in denial at the time though!! I brushed it off and purposly would exclude that from clips of MJ footage that I'd let non 'big' fans to see when sharing footage.

That whole 30th anniversary was a train wreck. MJ did not want to be there, and you could tell. He wasn't his usual joyfull self like he was in previous performances. This Is It, while he wasn't in the best of health, he was 100 times better then he was in 2001. MJ was on with his moves, and his vocals were off the charts. That performance of Human Nature showed me that the man was back on his A Game.

^ He may have not have wanted to be there but I don't see Michael the type to 'show it' do to personal emotions.. He IS show is business.. I think it's obvious there is 'more' going on there... We may just want to give it other excuses... I remember before he passed our biggest excuse was he hurt his ankle... Like 7 or so months prior.. we tried!

During This Is It. He was sharp and focused, and looked a lot happier. And the Doctor who performed MJ's autopsy said that Michael was incredibility healthy for a 50 year old. Michael didn't die because he was unhealthy. He died because Dr. Quack didn't do his job properly

I wrote a whole paragraph in response but I'm just gonna say I disagree to some extent, cause people would probably just get mad at me and I can't be bothered lol.

You also got to remember, he broke his foot earlier that year as well. At age 43, when you get older and get injured, it takes a longer time to fully heal. Plus, politics got involved, big time, which Michael cringed. Remember when Jermaine backed out, and then got back in?

Looking back, we were all excited to see Michael and his brothers rocking the stage once more. Now, as I look at it, He was going through the motions, on "Dancing Machine," he was so out of tune. On "I'll Be There," he was out of breath you could actually hear him struggling to get those notes. During his solo set, he kept covering his face, probably because his lupus was flaring his bottom face was red. Looking at the amateur footage, lots of cues were missed, especially around the end of "Black Or White." My guess is that Michael didn't like the stage setting because he can't see the band. It's a two-story stage and you really can't see the band doing it's thing.

On "This Is It," he was really focused and getting his groove back, but we all know what happened behind closed doors...

These are two of my most favorite concerts by him lol!! Have you seen recent AC/DC concerts? People love them and they're basically just goofing around in some very very weird costumes.

And I'm one of those fans who think he was in a better shape here - he looks very healthy tbh (hence it seems that he's altered his appearance again just because his face is fuller). He looks cool too lol.

I saw the first concert LIVE indeed :blush: I for one was really worried as I felt he was just 'going through the motion' as they say. Is like you HAVE to do something an you FEEL like you're FORCED to do it.
I later 'learnt' that Michael had so much back pain that he had to 'dose him up' if he NEEDED to 'perform' at all.

HOW did he do it? Well, to a certain extent, I'm sure the MEDS did their job and of course our LOVE and ADULATION gave him the energy to pull through.

EVEN if Michael would have 'pulled out' due to 'Medical reasons' I would have UNDERSTOOD cause he's only HUMAN and NOT some 'feature' to please the crowd :blush:

Yeash, I did scream and sang along and glad I could give him the energy he needed to pull this off after all.

I would only hint at "This is it" that indeed the 'comparison' is not 'accurate' cause we only saw the BEST parts and NOT the ones where he was 'fallen apart' :unsure:

To this day, I still wish SOMEONE had 'properly' CARED for him the way you should CARE in a situation like he found himself in.

Still, to the 'untrained' eye, he gave a COOL performance cause he was 'carried' by the LOVE of us, the fans and he 'executed' the performance with all the skills and passion he had in him.

I think he performed well with The Jacksons and TWYMMF was great:

I'm not a fan of the duet performance but Michael was great in my opinion.

Back