Michael Talking About his Hair + 'Groove Midnight'

oh god, for a moment there i thought he was going to say soul glo and not sebastian...(i need to stop watching coming to america)
sweeeet find, thanks.

I listened to this clip, it's gorgeous. Michael talking and then singing? Oh yes, please. It's short, about 1m 30s and some of the audio when he's talking is a bit quiet but I loved it. This is gold.

I don't know this song, Groove (of) Midnight. I wanna hear more.

The link is in first post upthread.

Last edited:
Michael gave the song to Siedah Garrett and she released it on her album Kiss Of Life

Michael's version basically sounds the same as this one.
Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for extra info. I'd rather listen to Michael singing it, tbh. Shame we don't have a longer clip.

From what I recall, Matt Forger went looking for this song in the vaults and could not find it. There's been no confirmation a full demo was ever recorded, but it would seem like there should've been? It's a mystery I guess.

From what I recall, Matt Forger went looking for this song in the vaults and could not find it. There's been no confirmation a full demo was ever recorded, but it would seem like there should've been? It's a mystery I guess.
I love this clip, it's brilliant but 90 seconds! I need more. And the mystery of where the rest of it is driving me crazy. The faint voice in the background (presumably in the other room) I'm guessing that's Bruce Swedien. The guy in the room with Michael is Rod Temperton. So it was a proper full-on recording sesh. The song might not have been fully complete - who knows? - but it was a proper studio sesh. So frustrating that Matt Forger hasn't been able to locate it. I'd love to hear more.

I suppose I should be grateful. At least we have this.

More than the song, I just love hearing Michael talk about random things (like what can you do with long hair šŸ˜†), in relaxed setting with people he was comfortable with, doing what he loved.

More than the song, I just love hearing Michael talk about random things (like what can you do with long hair šŸ˜†), in relaxed setting with people he was comfortable with, doing what he loved.
Oh, absolutely. Michael talking to Rod about his hair products is almost more exciting for me than hearing him sing. I love his speaking voice and can't get enough of it. Especially moments like this where he's with people he knows and feels comfortable with. His voice is so relaxed. It's fabulous. He sounds gorgeous here.

Producers and studio techs don't often allow little bits of conversation to remain on the record which I always think is a shame. The little bits I have I really treasure. There don't seem to be any at all on Michael's records but maybe that's cos they were always having to shorten the songs just to fit them all on. I know they always seemed to have a big struggle with so many of the songs being too long for the space they had. I guess they didn't have any space for random outtakes. But I wish we did have some. Or else, just audio clips like this one but much longer

Back