Michael - The Great Album Debate

Another shameful episode of Damien Shield's blog.

Everyone can express their opinion on a given matter and contents of blogs on the net, but why do you qualify Damien's blog " another shameful episode" without even explaining it? It's not very constructive you know, and it simply smells like a personal attack.

^^

don't you think that the blog has rushed to conclusions a little too quick and had multiple wrong information?

iTunes Match isn't a special song service. It's online cloud drive that allows sync of music between devices so there's no "iTunes Match version" of the songs, it's going to be regular iTunes version. Misrepresentation of what match does and saying buy a membership for 24.99 if interested is misleading.

A lot of people sell their covers on iTunes. Here's a link to Mike Tompkins PYT cover - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/p-y-t-pretty-young-thing-single/id445852552 - so just because a Michael Jackson song is being available or sold on iTunes doesn't make it an official release. It could be very well a fan / amateur singer cover. Plus as explained Match system will get and upload the files on your harddrive to your cloud drive. Saying this is an "official channel" or an "official release" is not verified.

It took me 2 minutes in my sleepy self this morning to look into how match system works and express the probability that it can be a fan made cover, I even remembered that some karaoke style covers were posted on this thread before . Pentum was able to look into the song in a lot more detail and was able to post the mentioned covers. That's due diligence and research, my friend. Anyone, any blogger can do it , rather than making posts that's just assumptions.

So don't you think that people can first try to search and gather information rather than posting "OMG they officially released a song with Porte on the lead"?

This was simply a much ado about nothing. However unfortunately there will be some doubters out there, who will believe the bloggers version (an official release with Porte on leads) and become angry with Estate / Sony / Cascio's for no reason. I think we can all agree that it's problematic. I don't know about you but I don't want any doubters who already happen to sensitive about this issue to feel any more anger and stress when there's no basis for it.

@pentum

I'm not able to listen now but Alex? Isn't that the guy with highly obvious accent?

Just bought the single from iTunes, It's the album version

@stella LOL to "still Jason"

maybe this is the real MJ version that's been "processed" while the other one is Jason. :p

It's not James Porte. I'm compiling a "Best of James Porte" collection :D

It's unusual though, that there's two distinct vocals by that guy...

Good it wasn't me... lol I was afraid someone stole my cover well they're fun to sing lol. I made this one that had Room 2 Breathe, All I Need combined in there too lol.

Last edited:
i get what you're saying, and i'm with you. but that's not the point. i just find the idea ridiculous that Apple will give me a fan-made version as an upgrade. by mistake. really?

i get what you're saying, and i'm with you. but that's not the point. i just find the idea ridiculous that Apple will give me a fan-made version as an upgrade. by mistake. really?

Do you know for a fact that iTunes is giving this song?

As explained it could be a cover song or it will also be uploaded to the individuals match account if they have the song on their hard drive.

ivy;3768809 said:
Do you know for a fact that iTunes is giving this song?

As explained it could be a cover song or it will also be uploaded to the individuals match account if they have the song on their hard drive.

i thought that was the point of the Damien Shields article. i'm not a Match user, nor am i in the US, but he says

"the version of “Keep Your Head Up” available to U.S. users of iTunes Match, an official Apple service, is not the same version officially released by Sony Music and the Michael Jackson Estate on the controversial “Michael” album back in December 2010. In fact, the version that iTunes Match users in America will experience is not even sung by the same person! Well, at least not entirely…"

so it might not be an automatic upgrade, but it is on offer as an upgrade. so again, if this is fan-made, how can it get into the Store and be made available to other users? it should be on the uploader's personal Cloud only.

there are Match user comments on the article which are helpful and which essentially say that that is not a possibility, especially because of copyrights. and these comments are replies basically to Qbee's comment that this is fan-made.

^^

I don't believe anonymous sources. Neither Damien nor Samir are in USA nor a iTunes Match users. I'm not seeing anyone commenting that's a iTunes Match member as well. It's all their understanding or speculation.

I bought KYHU from iTunes today for $1.29, it's giving the regular same old album version.

Would you like me to become a iTunes Match user and see what they would put there?

edit: you know what? I don't care. Keep stressing yourselves.

ivy;3768815 said:
^^

I don't believe anonymous sources. Neither Damien nor Samir are in USA nor a iTunes Match users. I'm not seeing anyone commenting that's a iTunes Match member as well. It's all their understanding or speculation.

I bought KYHU from iTunes today for $1.29, it's giving the regular same old album version.

Would you like me to become a iTunes Match user and see what they would put there?

edit: you know what? I don't care. Keep stressing yourselves.

you have already dignified that article when you were quick to reply with the below. so it was you who started the fan-made theory. even an official cover won't make the match because it would be by a different artist... but you're right, this is pointless because we both haven't even listened to it yet. i was just saying your guess is most probably wrong.

ivy;3768527 said:
I'm guessing this might be fan made - because

The idea is simple: iTunes scans your music library, sends the information about your songs to Apple’s servers, and then either “matches” music that’s in both your library and the iTunes Store, or uploads the music that isn’t in the iTunes Store. Then, you can either download or stream (depending on the hardware) all of your music from a Mac or PC running iTunes 10; an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 5 or later; or a second- or third-generation Apple TV.

Any music you've purchased from the iTunes Store is already available in iTunes Match via your iCloud account. Then you allow iTunes Match to scan your iTunes library to catalog all the songs that are in it. Once that happens, Apple's software automatically adds any music in your library that's also available at iTunes, but that you got elsewhere, to your account. By doing this, you're saved from having to upload these songs, which otherwise could take a very long time for large libraries. Lastly, music in your iTunes library that isn't available at the iTunes Store is uploaded to your iCloud account.

so even if the apple is matching the song they should be matching it with what they are selling normally or if the person hasn't bought the song they are uploading the person's own version to the cloud.

In other words someone simply can try to buy "Keep your head up" from regular itunes store - (no need for a $24.99 account), if this not the version that iTunes is selling then someone uploaded this version to their cloud from their own computer and it's not an official release.

The vocals are very off tune if you isolate them and they're not the same vocal on each side. I've compared both side by side they're not the same vocals.

Last edited:
even an official cover won't make the match because it would be by a different artist... but you're right, this is pointless because we both haven't even listened to it yet. i was just saying your guess is most probably wrong.

1. I listened to the "itunes match version" this morning - before I wrote that post. It sounded like a karaoke. (actually the way it sounded reminded me very much of the karaoke covers posted on this thread before - like heavily accented Alex that I previously listened. [No I'm not saying it's Alex]). I will greatly appreciate if you don't make any assumptions about what I did or did not listen.

2. it is also my understanding that other people agree that it's a fan version. (I haven't yet listened to Pentum's examinations but I'll take his word)

3. Again I bought KYHU from US Itunes today, Stella checked it from UK iTunes. iTunes system is still showing / selling the regular album version of the KYHU. According to the explanations of iTunes Match, it'll upgrade your songs to the highest quality versions on iTunes. Match isn't a separate music system with their own versions, they are matching stuff to iTunes. so if you or the blog is claiming this to be an "official release" by Sony / Estate, how do they explain the "official iTunes" not having it? Don't you realize that if this is not "officially" available on the "official" iTunes, at most this could be a match mix up, an error?

4. I never assumed or claimed that it was a match to a fan version. I kinda danced around it but didn't openly say that perhaps someone was pulling your leg. (there I said it, r u happy?) Did you ever stop to consider that this wasn't a match by itunes at all but someone totally made it up? You do realize that someone could do their cover, label it as "Michael Jackson - Keep your head up", connect to iTunes match, get the file uploaded on their match and then say to you "OMG look what iTunes gave to me". So it brings us back to the question : who is this person that made this claim? Are they credible? did anyone check it first hand to make sure that it's real and not a hoax? But hey if you want to believe it with no questions asked, no other explanations investigated then be my guest.

5. Even if we are to assume that there was a such match ever made, do you realize that it could be a mistake on solely iTunes part right? Every company can do mistakes, there could be bugs in the system and so on. But don't let that possibility to get ahead of your hate and desire to blame Sony / Estate / Cascio.

edited to add: I'm extremely happy and glad that several doubters have actually taken their time to examine and investigate this. I want you to know that I appreciate it. That's also why I prefer MJJC over other places.

reminds me of that purported MJ official double Barry Shaw's crappy dub of him singing over WMA 2006, to make people think he posed as MJ for that Awards Ceremony.

The vocals are very off tune if you isolate them and they're not the same vocal on each side. I've compared both side by side they're not the same vocals.
Upload please

Edit: I mean upload Barry Shaw's

It might be this guy singing the KYHU thing

[youtube]eyZ5dhP2Z0k[/youtube]

Not really sure

NAAAH, I'm SURE IT'S THIS GUY

[youtube]FohLXQds1cU[/youtube]

Alex ftw
LOL at the second one!
(Sorry I feel mean now cause I'm laughing so loudly at 1:32)

I really hate this album.

(2040 pages - MJ 2040!)

Why would you hate the album?... Only because of three (3) controversial songs?

Are you forgetting:
Hold My Hand: A song Michael Jackson was really proud of according to Akon and 3T.
Hollywood Tonight
(I Like) The Way You Love Me: Which has an amazing voice message intro.
Best Of Joy: One of the last songs written and recorded by Michael Jackson.
(I Can't Make It) Another Day
Behind The Mask
Much Too Soon

Why would you hate the album?... Only because of three (3) controversial songs?

Are you forgetting:
Hold My Hand: A song Michael Jackson was really proud of according to Akon and 3T.
Hollywood Tonight
(I Like) The Way You Love Me: Which has an amazing voice message intro.
Best Of Joy: One of the last songs written and recorded by Michael Jackson.
(I Can't Make It) Another Day
Behind The Mask
Much Too Soon
Yes, these are good songs. BUT (and it's a HUGE one) what they've done to him with this album is beyond words. It's disgraceful.

Back