Michael - The Great Album Debate

ok but I'll actually explain this a little further. To be clear we aren't talking about knowing/ reading every news story or believing at them, the issue is just being merely aware of it.

Friedman had been writing about it for a month. I can believe that people did not follow or read what Friedman wrote given his history but what people are forgetting that the authenticity issue was mentioned quite a lot between the album announcement and the stream of Breaking News (there was a 1-2 week period between those). The reason I'm believe that many people had heard it before the stream is bc of my brother and his friends. I wrote before that my brother used to listen to Michael and currently more into Metallica and he's active on a Metallica board. He told me that the release of a new MJ album, the authenticity issue was written on metallica board and they were aware of it. Sure he didn't stay up for 12 AM to listen to the song but when I called him the next day he had already listened to the song to see for himself if it was Michael or not. So now you expect me to believe that a Metallica board members had heard it before and active members of a MJ board hasn't? Do you think that a MJ fan that heard the album release and the upcoming stream of BN said "sweet I can't wait" and for a week or more did not read a single comment / news story written about the album and/or authenticity issues?
I think I may have heard a quick news story about the kids or something questioning the authenticity. I don't recall exactly what it was. But I remember having the thought of "I'll make that decision myself" or just not thinking too much of it in general. I guess I sort of expected that reaction from family members who would protest this sort of thing, remixing and mastering songs without his approval.

But I really just got caught up with life and work until the night of the premiere and when I heard it I was really confused, it seemed very uncharacteristic of Michael, odd vocally and production-wise. The production and sound of the vocals, I remember, instantly reminded me of Let Me Let Go, which I thought was a Michael Jackson song recorded and leaked in 2007.

This reassured me that, despite the odd characteristics of the vocals and being thrown off, this is probably real because, after all, it sounds like Let Me Let Go, right?

And here we are talking about who influenced who again :smilerolleyes:

I thought we agree that believers as well as doubters can be influenced the same way.

In a bit of a rush so will not reply in detail now but some quick points.

Do you really believe that there were many people walking around knowledgeable of Malachi's vibrato on their own?
No. But I am not sure why that matters?

see Vision. fans didn't protest the album? remember the campaign to change the tracklist as well as the fan sites coming together and declaring a position? I don't know what you call "massive" but the protests did start pretty quickly.
These protests only started after Breaking News was streamed though. You said that MJ fans jump to conclusions based on tabloid rumours, such as with the Glee/Monster/Paris Hilton issue. If what you said is true, fans should have started protesting the 'Michael' album as soon as those rumours about fake tracks appeared (before BN was streamed). That did not happen. My point was that the situation is different now, because fans lost a lot of faith in the Estate exactly because of the 'Michael' debacle.

I agree that 140 character limit on twitter makes it hard to communicate and not always everything is understood correctly. For example I agree with kreen when he said we have no idea whether Teddy understood the questions about the issues with vibrato. The answer he gave (melodyne) is a common complaint in regards to processing - go search gearslutz for melodyne and vibrato and you'll see that musicians write that it sounds unnatural and so on. So doubters stating Teddy's answer does not explain the issue at hand is kinda flawed when they don't know if he actually understood the issue to start with. Similarly heat of the moment can affect wording choices, for example Teddy Riley who was being attacked and cursed by fans is more likely to have a defensive mood and use similar curses and attacks than a statement coming from the estate being written by legal department and probably read over by multiple parties before being sent out.
But Teddy actually made the point about Melodyne in an interview with Reuters, so he had more than enough time to think it over. Kreen mistakenly thought that Teddy said that on Twitter (I posted the link to the original article a couple of pages back and Stella later posted the video of it.)

As has been explained several times, pitch-correcting notes with Melodyne would not cause this type of vibrato. The idea that Teddy did not understand the issue seems strange to me. He brings up the vibrato himself and the shakiness of the vibrato is what everybody was focusing on at that time (including Taryll, who called it a 'dead give-away'). This is also the only thing that jumps out about the vibrato, so I am not sure what else he would be thinking of. And in the video you can even see that he is shaking his hand when he says 'the vibrato is a little..', as if to indicate that it is shaky.

However the content is valued the same. For example Taryll said it's not Michael and he knows his uncles voice on twitter. Estate said it's Michael as their researched showed it. No one gave Estate's statement more weight because it came on a sheet of paper.
I disagree, I think many people did and do.

yeah my comment was about immediate opinions such as people declaring it was Malachi and I don't think it's normal. For example do you think meeting a person for the first time ever and in 2 minutes declaring she'll be the one you'll spend your life forever normal? I don't. I similarly don't consider 1 minute into the song making declarations normal either.
I don't think you can compare identifying your favourite singer on a piece of music to complex decisions such as determining whether someone will be your lifelong partner or not. However, if I tell you I will play you a tape of a cow mooing and when I play it, you hear a cat meowing, does it take you more than a minute to realize it is not a cow? I'm obviously exaggerating here, but for some of us the difference between MJ's voice and the Cascio singer's voice is like night and day. And that is exactly what those initial responses reflect.

And with regards to quick judgements, research has shown that people can actually be surprisingly good in making quick decisions, even about something as complicated as people's personalities. When people are shown short (literally a few seconds) video clips without sound of a teacher and asked to provide ratings about this teacher's skills and personality, these ratings correlate surprisingly highly with the ratings given by the actual students in this teacher's class.

For some people I think it's impossible to change their opinions regardless of what is put in front of them given the emotional investment in the topic.
I think so too, but you probably think this mainly applies to doubters whereas I think this applies more to believers. :) As I said, I think many believers completely disregard or downplay any of the issues we raise.

For example assume tomorrow you are given an expert report that's 100 pages that shows all of the tests that are done by the non arguably best experts in the world and assume the reports says 80% and 85% Michael (remember in this instance there's no perfect proof). What will be your opinion then? Would you believe the expert report and say you were wrong or still continue to have the same opinion and believe each expert was wrong and it was the 10-15% error rate?
This would depend on much more than just the fact that some experts concluded it or just the fact that there is always a chance for a false positive. I would want to read exactly how the analysis was conducted. If I felt like this was all done appropriately, then yes, I might adjust my opinion. Given the error rate I would not hinge my opinion on just this, but it would obviously be a big factor in how I felt about the songs. I believe in these methods. That is also why I believe a proper analysis would never ever show that it was Michael on those songs.

somehow and some way. see that's not good enough for me.
Obviously I would prefer more answers as well.

On the flip side: is it good enough for you that there is no evidence that Michael ever recorded any of these songs?

I think the point that the doubters are missing that the vocals do not sound "not like MJ at all" to the believers. To them it doesn't sound off so you are expecting them to address something they do not believe in at all. That's not gonna happen and it's not a disregard or a shift of focus.
Yes, there are some believers who really think the vocals do not sound off. But many believers also think that something sounds strange about them. Why else would we have heard so many explanations for why Michael sounds different such as the fact that they were guide vocals, that his voice has changed over the years and was not as strong anymore, that it is processing, etc. These are all things that have also been mentioned repeatedly in this topic. And I have never seen a believer give a head-on response to the questions about and criticism of these explanations.

and as for the initial reactions read the first part. I don't think people made them "relatively independent" of one another. I actually think there was quite a lot of idea sharing and help from the others. Just see the two posts above in which people say that they weren't knowledgeable about Malachi so there's nothing "independent" about their opinion, to the contrary their opinion is pretty much shaped by the "help" and opinions of others.
People were obviously 'helped' by the opinions of others later on. I was talking about the very first reactions to the song as it was first streamed, when many many people at the same time were posting their responses on this forum and others.

Okay, this still turned into another extremely long post. :lol: Really gotta run now!

And here we are talking about who influenced who again :smilerolleyes:

I thought we agree that believers as well as doubters can be influenced the same way.

well it's not really a discussion of who influenced who, the main issue is whether previous knowledge was a factor or not. I also clearly stated the same could be said - and already was said- about the believers but the discussion is perhaps whether the opinions were formed "independently" as claimed or there were some sort of influence or other factors at large.

No. But I am not sure why that matters?

for 2 reasons. One for the independent opinion or not discussion. Second you asked "as MJ fans shouldn't we have confidence our ability to recognizing Michael?" sure we can especially if we are long term fans but what makes us experts in Malachi? Look to this thread you see people not heard of malachi not listened to him before or for a long time but now determined that it's Malachi.

believe me when I say "something sounds off, this might not be Michael" would have been a thousand times more acceptable position that "I bet my life it's 100% Malachi" argument.

I don't think you can compare identifying your favourite singer on a piece of music to complex decisions such as determining whether someone will be your lifelong partner or not.

Well don't you think that coming to a conclusion that multiple people and perhaps billion dollar businesses involved in a criminal act of fraudulent merchandise to take advantage of millions of people is a complex decision to come to? Let's be blunt here - when you are saying these songs are faked in whatever way you are making a serious criminal accusation. It's not as simple as you portray.

However, if I tell you I will play you a tape of a cow mooing and when I play it, you hear a cat meowing, does it take you more than a minute to realize it is not a cow? I'm obviously exaggerating here, but for some of us the difference between MJ's voice and the Cascio singer's voice is like night and day. And that is exactly what those initial responses reflect.

that I don't agree with. If it was cow - cat , night -day we wouldn't be having this conversation. the reason we are having this discussion and the reason we haven't seen any legal action (from Jacksons) it's because it's actually very close with subtle difference which perhaps it cannot be determined for certain for either way.

On the flip side: is it good enough for you that there is no evidence that Michael ever recorded any of these songs?

Do we have evidence for all of his songs? For example let's talk about 2000 watts - it's a song that's "different" in regards to Michael's songs. You have Teddy Riley - again- saying he used one technique. Assume that I challenge it's authenticity, what is your evidence that Michael actually recorded it? What I'm trying to say is "evidence" that he recorded songs is not a "must", there are a lot of other songs that there are no "evidence" as well.

I bet there's some notes and recordings of Michael talking about 2000 Watts, however, if the fans were questioning it.

I bet there's some notes and recordings of Michael talking about 2000 Watts, however, if the fans were questioning it.

How could anyone question that?

On a side note, Bumper and Pentum....??? Anyone got any ideas?

MJJLatvia, did you see my reply to your post on page 1848? :)

Okay I'll match that.

I bet there are some notes and work tapes of Michael talking about Cascio songs.

see? anyone can make a similar claim doesn't mean it exists.

How could anyone question that?

nobody is questioning it. it's a hypothetical example/

everyone...,
relax!

Clear your mind!

breathe deeeep...

concentrate on the snake...

look straight in the snake eyes...

...and repeat:

"the voice i hear on the 'Michael' album, isn't only Michael's Jackson voice"

"the voice on 'Monster', isn't Michael's voice"

"the voice on "Breaking News", isn't Michael's voice"

"the voice on 'Keep your head up', is not Michaels"

"I KNOW THIS IS NOT MICHAEL JACKSON SINGING"

253be83c8a.jpg

Problem solved!
Now everyone knows and belives this is not Michael on the Cascio's tracks.

It was my pleasure :D

If there were any evidence of Michael's involvement in the Cascio tracks then there is no logical reason for it not to be shown.

No, I didn't. I don't really follow this debate that much :p
But yeah, you got the point :D :agree:

Yay, my three-month-old Queen knowledge is finally relevant to this debate! :D But the point stands that Freddie sounds exactly as he always did on that fabricated song, and you would never tell that it was made from scraps. How are these songs so obviously copy-pasted when people working in 1995 did a better job!?

ivy;3666867 said:
Do we have evidence for all of his songs? For example let's talk about 2000 watts - it's a song that's "different" in regards to Michael's songs. You have Teddy Riley - again- saying he used one technique. Assume that I challenge it's authenticity, what is your evidence that Michael actually recorded it? What I'm trying to say is "evidence" that he recorded songs is not a "must", there are a lot of other songs that there are no "evidence" as well.

I'd also point out that Teddy Riley said that the vocals on 2000 Watts are natural, that MJ really sang the song this low with his natural voice. Does anyone really believe that? There's a "natural-voice" version of 2000 Watts on youtube that sounds 100 % more like MJ's normal voice.

So did Teddy Riley lie about 2000 Watts? Did he just forget what he did to the song? Was he thinking of another song? Did he regret messing with the vocals? Did he feel it would be bad PR to say MJ's vocals were messed with? Does he not like to reveal his production tricks? Did he say what he thought his interlocutor wanted to hear?

My point is that quotes are not as solid evidence – in any field – as some here might think they are. Regarding Teddy Riley’s mention of Melodyne, for instance. Now, if people on an Interrnet forum who are not professional, Grammy-award winning producers like Teddy Riley know that Melodyne can’t create the shaky vibrato we hear on the Cascio tracks, then surely Riley himself knows it too. And if he gave that explanation not as part of a heat-of-the-moment, ill-advised tweet, but during a formal interview with a real journalist, then why would he suggest such an outlandish, easily disprovable reason, if he wanted to hide the non-authenticity of the vocals? Wouldn’t he have come up with a more reasonable explanation? So that tells me that whatever his reasons were for giving that explanation, or whatever he meant by it, or however he thought it would be understood, he thought the vocals were authentic.

If he still thinks they are now, well he should know as much as anyone, because he’s legally, professionally and financially involved in that issue, unlike all of us who are just fans. And he has access to whatever evidence/lack thereof there is.

If he now thinks the vocals are fake, then he was fooled like the rest of us and has nothing to hide: he didn’t do anything wrong. So why would he not pull the lid on the whole thing now and publicly declare a hoax has taken place? Or should we now believe the Cascios also have links to the mafia and will put a price on his head if he talks?

Yay, my three-month-old Queen knowledge is finally relevant to this debate! :D But the point stands that Freddie sounds exactly as he always did on that fabricated song, and you would never tell that it was made from scraps. How are these songs so obviously copy-pasted when people working in 1995 did a better job!?

I think this is very important, if they managed to create a song from Freddie's 'scraps' in 1995, and do it well, with the current advances in musical production via technical machinery it should be done 100% perfectly. The album was worked on in 2010, and with state of the art production software/computers, it should sound one million times better than what we currently have, which is why I strongly believe that the pasted breaths/ad-libs were rushed into these songs to make it sound like Michael. Many a time have I heard 'Oh, no one else can do the screams as well as that.' And that's why it was particularly clever of the Cascios/Riley to do such a thing, even if it was single words, or single second trademark MJ sounds. We must take into consideration how much effort was possibly put into these songs. (I'm not an expert on these!) From what I understand, the vocals were technically pitched/corrected, 'Monster' was sped up and obviously the pasted sounds. None of this effort was put into other songs like 'Hold my Hand', the vocal for the track was layed down in 'under an hour', and the man in the studio at the time stated this.(Akon) Akon even said that he expected the song to be done in a few days, because of the typical story of how long MJ used to work on individual songs, so the argument that the Cascio tracks had to be changed so drastically to cope with lacking vocals, simply isn't true. Michael was VERY serious about his work, and one of the Cascio's even said it was their job to 'get MJ working again' and if he really did get working again in the Cascio's house, he would've been focused and ready. Just look at the 'Access Hollywood' interview with Will.I.Am. That is a Michael Jackson intent on creating the greatest pieces of music he'd ever done. Not just some mess around recording in a shower.

Just look at the 'Access Hollywood' interview with Will.I.Am. That is a Michael Jackson intent on creating the greatest pieces of music he'd ever done.

No. That is a Michael Jackson sitting in a studio listening to tracks over the loudspeaker. That is also a Michael Jackson who told the interviewer right before the interview that he hadn't slept all night. You have to realize that the problems that killed MJ didn't start the evening of his death.

We don't know if anything came out of those sessions, and if it did, we don't know how good it was. So we need to stop drinking the kool-aid on the whole "the best is yet to come", "you ain't seen nothing yet", "MJ would never do anything less that perfection" stuff. And I think PART of the rejection of the very idea of the Cascio tracks comes from this idea that MJ would never lower himself to singing those songs, in that way, with those people, in that setting. Well, yes, he would. MJ circa 2007 is not MJ circa 1982, just like Elvis circa 1977 is not Elvis circa 1957.

^^ I believe someone said something similar to this already, but PLEASE at least pretend that you like MJ! I don't get that vibe from you when you say such depreciating things just because he was no longer in his "prime" in 2007.

I think this is very important, if they managed to create a song from Freddie's 'scraps' in 1995, and do it well, with the current advances in musical production via technical machinery it should be done 100% perfectly. The album was worked on in 2010, and with state of the art production software/computers, it should sound one million times better than what we currently have, which is why I strongly believe that the pasted breaths/ad-libs were rushed into these songs to make it sound like Michael. Many a time have I heard 'Oh, no one else can do the screams as well as that.' And that's why it was particularly clever of the Cascios/Riley to do such a thing, even if it was single words, or single second trademark MJ sounds. We must take into consideration how much effort was possibly put into these songs. (I'm not an expert on these!) From what I understand, the vocals were technically pitched/corrected, 'Monster' was sped up and obviously the pasted sounds. None of this effort was put into other songs like 'Hold my Hand', the vocal for the track was layed down in 'under an hour', and the man in the studio at the time stated this.(Akon) Akon even said that he expected the song to be done in a few days, because of the typical story of how long MJ used to work on individual songs, so the argument that the Cascio tracks had to be changed so drastically to cope with lacking vocals, simply isn't true. Michael was VERY serious about his work, and one of the Cascio's even said it was their job to 'get MJ working again' and if he really did get working again in the Cascio's house, he would've been focused and ready. Just look at the 'Access Hollywood' interview with Will.I.Am. That is a Michael Jackson intent on creating the greatest pieces of music he'd ever done. Not just some mess around recording in a shower.

Riley didn't put the adlibs and breaths in. They were put in at the Cascio end by Stuart Brawley. Also, the whole idea that they had to put these things in due to a lack of material simply isn't true. There are multiple takes of each song that were recorded.

everyone...,
relax!

Clear your mind!

breathe deeeep...

concentrate on the snake...

look straight in the snake eyes...

...and repeat:

"the voice i hear on the 'Michael' album, isn't only Michael's Jackson voice"

"the voice on 'Monster', isn't Michael's voice"

"the voice on "Breaking News", isn't Michael's voice"

"the voice on 'Keep your head up', is not Michaels"

"I KNOW THIS IS NOT MICHAEL JACKSON SINGING"

253be83c8a.jpg

Problem solved!
Now everyone knows and belives this is not Michael on the Cascio's tracks.

It was my pleasure :D

:hysterical:

ivy;3666864 said:
well it's not really a discussion of who influenced who, the main issue is whether previous knowledge was a factor or not. I also clearly stated the same could be said - and already was said- about the believers but the discussion is perhaps whether the opinions were formed "independently" as claimed or there were some sort of influence or other factors at large.

Is what I meant :yes:

And I think that It doesn't really matter which part were influenced or which were formed "independently" because as I said before, the doubt is still here.

Now If the doubters are the only ones that were influenced so much into this idea then I ask to the believers to show us something that “influence us” to think the contrary.

Last edited:
Honestly, Malachi doesn't even have to be brought into it. The reason being that the the vocals don't have to sound close to Malachi for people to realise it isn't Michael. If it doesn't sound like Michael, it doesn't matter who else it sounds like. Not sure if I'm explaining it well, but I'll give an example of my reaction to Breaking News.

Leading up to the release of Michael I was not very active in fan forums. Hadn't been since Michael's death. I would visit maxjax and my only contributions on the Michael album would be along the lines of hoping they don't remix the tracks and leave them how Michael left them. That was my only concern. When I first heard about the 12 Cascio songs in the Friedman article I was actually hoping that we would see a release of all 12 songs as a cohesive album. Later on I had heard about the Jacksons talking about impersonators or whatever on the songs on Michael, but thought it was a ridiculous claim and that the Jacksons were full of shit. Especially added in to their previous claims. I didn't even know what songs on the album were supposed to be fake. I thought maybe they were saying all the songs were. Regardless, I didn't even give even 0.0001% credence to the claim and anticipated the stream of Breaking News. I did this away from fan boards as I hadn't been really active on them for some time. I didn't even know it was a Cascio song, nor did I know that that would even supposedly be a bad thing. The first time I heard the song it was after I had come home for my hour break from work. The song started streaming an hour before. The first thing I do is go to MJ.com and listen to the stream. My feelings going in are excitement over hearing new MJ material (even though I didn't like the snippet we had gotten previously. I thought the instrumentation was plastic and the news intro contrived.) That aside, I was 100% expecting to hear MJ's voice begin to sing. Then someone started singing "everybody wanting a piece of Michael Jackson". I thought "huh? this must be an intro or something and Michael will come in soon." But the voice kept singing. It was obvious to me that this was not Michael Jackson singing. I actually physically started to feel frantic and started shaking because I realised that they were trying to pass off an impersonator as Michael on an official release. I was livid. I could not believe it. I listened all the way through again hoping to hear MJ. Nope... someone else. Only then do I go to maxjax, and without reading a single post in the reaction thread being that I was too frantic and in a rush to express what I was hearing, I proclaimed the vocals to be not MJ. Only after do I backtrack through the thread and see a lot of people saying the same thing and many more confused with what they were hearing. I go and get my mum to listen to the track, she agrees it doesn't sound like him. I'm livid. I go back to work and it's all I can talk about. I couldn't calm down. I wasn't expecting it at all.

As far as Jason Malachi, I had heard him briefly in 2007, thought he didn't sound very close to MJ and moved on. I didn't recognise Malachi's voice on Breaking News. I didn't even think about it. All I knew is that it wasn't MJ. When others started saying it I thought it was too far fetched. They hired the guy that has been fooling fans since 2007 to impersonate Michael and fool everyone again. It would be too obvious if they got him. In fact, I remembered Malachi sounding closer to MJ than the singer on Breaking News who didn't sound a thing like MJ. Then people started posting Malachi songs, not even comparisons, but straight Malachi songs and to my surprise I instantly recognised the voice from Breaking News.

I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say here. I guess that the excuse that doubters were influenced by anything before the stream is wrong. At least it is in my case.

Okay I'll match that.

I bet there are some notes and work tapes of Michael talking about Cascio songs.

see? anyone can make a similar claim doesn't mean it exists.
The thing is, I think we definitely would have seen it by now if there was any definitive proof. Like the Estate wouldn't have loved to put this to rest on day 1 with evidence.

I have never posted in this thread, before. (I have read it ALL, with interest, though.) I'll finally weigh in, and then duck out again. . . . . probably. (sorry)

I don't have any "proofs," of anything. But, I'll cut to the chase. Michael's music has been a soundtrack for my LIFE, since 1988. I've heard his voice, pretty much daily, since then, like he was a member of my own family. I had no preconceptions, at all, about "new" music. Just happy to have it. I listened, and then was shocked. I hadn't, at all, been expecting my reaction. FIRST reaction was, "that is NOT Michael!" I certainly didn't expect NOT to hear Michael! But, I didn't. I still don't. . . . .

I look at the sky, and it is blue. I look at the grass, and it's green. I can then read a lot of explanations about how the grass is actually RED, and the sky is ORANGE, and that the perceptions of my senses are incorrect, and that "experts" know better than I do. I can try to understand, now, that the perceptions of my senses are incorrect. I can even look, again, and again, at the blue sky and green grass, and try to accept that what I thought was true, is actually NOT true? I can listen to/read the arguments that I've been terribly wrong, somehow, and that what my senses told me were skewed in some weird way? But, I hear what I hear, and what I keep hearing, and to me, that is NOT Michael. I really, really, wish that it IS him, that I hear. But I simply cannot. . .

This whole thread seems strange to me, and skewed in the direction of logical "arguments," instead of first-hand experience? I DO feel that logic is important. I really do. But this is more elemental, and visceral? I fully expected to hear Michael in that music, and I simply do not. I also think that Michael left us a legacy of incredible music, that nourishes us, and sustains us. For me, this was simply not IT, and it was quite shocking to me, that it was not. But.. . .I have no interest whatsoever in convincing anyone to my point-of-view. I will listen to the music that IS Michael's, and that will bring me some joy. . . . . .

I certainly have no empirical "proofs" that it is, indeed Michael. Or that it is not. I simply do not hear him, in that music. . . . and I very much wish that I did. . . . hear him. . with new music.

I look at the sky, and it is blue. I look at the grass, and it's green. I can then read a lot of explanations about how the grass is actually RED, and the sky is ORANGE, and that the perceptions of my senses are incorrect, and that "experts" know better than I do. I can try to understand, now, that the perceptions of my senses are incorrect. I can even look, again, and again, at the blue sky and green grass, and try to accept that what I thought was true, is actually NOT true? I can listen to/read the arguments that I've been terribly wrong, somehow, and that what my senses told me were skewed in some weird way? But, I hear what I hear, and what I keep hearing, and to me, that is NOT Michael. I really, really, wish that it IS him, that I hear. But I simply cannot. . .

Thanks for your post....It's nice to hear from those we haven't seen in this thread before...:)

I just wanted to comment on this portion of your post....I know that we have been led to believe that 'experts' know more than we do..(what experts, anyway? we haven't seen such reports :scratch:)...However, we, as fans, need to give ourselves more credit. WE are the experts as we have listened to MJ's voice for YEARS, some of us on a daily basis....Who else is better to judge than the fans? Why, in the first time in listening to an MJ song ever, are we not able to trust our senses? That all of a sudden, our senses are handicapped and we really don't know what we're hearing because some experts or people who profit from his music tell us that our ears are wrong?

You're right about it being visceral..That's exactly it...It is certainly logical, however, to note that we aren't hearing any typical MJ vocal traits and habits in these songs...That's a direct observation from simply listening to the songs...Comparisons and/or Jason Malachi aside, we can all agree that these traits are missing...As I said before, if anyone disputes that, then tell me where these traits are....

We can also go by Michael's own recording habits...We hear things from producers and people he's worked with throughout his career and his perfectionism and habits are fairly consistent...With these songs, all of that changes...Including the vocals...So we aren't wrong to doubt. Absolutely not wrong...It may not be logical to believe that fraud has taken place, but what other conclusion can we come to when we have absolutely nothing that says MJ had anything to do with these songs? When Eddie Cascio refuses to come forward to share his experience in working with Michael? Refuses to speak with Joe Vogel? Why wouldn't he want to talk to him?

Combine this with the alien vocals and it's unlikely Michael is singing these songs....

If people say they can hear Michael in these songs, and don't want to share where, why, when, how they hear Michael..well, that's their choice....But for anyone who says the vocals aren't 'off' at all, or sound like Michael has always sounded, then I have to conclude that these people don't know his voice...

(P.S. Props to you for reading the entire thread lol) :D

Last edited:
Riley didn't put the adlibs and breaths in. They were put in at the Cascio end by Stuart Brawley. Also, the whole idea that they had to put these things in due to a lack of material simply isn't true. There are multiple takes of each song that were recorded.

I did say I wasn't an expert! :p And I said that the argument that there are lacking vocals isn't true.

No. That is a Michael Jackson sitting in a studio listening to tracks over the loudspeaker. That is also a Michael Jackson who told the interviewer right before the interview that he hadn't slept all night. You have to realize that the problems that killed MJ didn't start the evening of his death.

We don't know if anything came out of those sessions, and if it did, we don't know how good it was. So we need to stop drinking the kool-aid on the whole "the best is yet to come", "you ain't seen nothing yet", "MJ would never do anything less that perfection" stuff. And I think PART of the rejection of the very idea of the Cascio tracks comes from this idea that MJ would never lower himself to singing those songs, in that way, with those people, in that setting. Well, yes, he would. MJ circa 2007 is not MJ circa 1982, just like Elvis circa 1977 is not Elvis circa 1957.

There's a mighty old thing called aging. I really don't know anyone who stayed exactly the same from 1982 to 2007, especially with all of those things that happened to him. I know that MJ wasn't a freaking superhero. He was human being. Michael in 2007 was not taking any old stuff because he wanted to rush back into the music biz, so he might not have liked the songs and didn't want to record them. MJs problems didn't start on 25.6.09, they started years before that, and I know that. Just because I don't believe MJ is singing on the Cascio tracks doesn't make me and everyone else completely blind to Michael and his life.

Back