Michael's best produced album?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
What is Michael's best produced album as in quality, sound, production value, everything? What makes it soo good and to be the best?

Ooh that's hard to decide. I will... I will probably stick to Thriller/Bad/Dangerous. I really can't decide out of those three, they all had the best and tightest production of MJ's catalogue imo :p

Last edited:
My top 3 favorite MJ albums has always been Dangerous, HIStory, and Bad in that order. But out of those 3 I have to choose both Dangerous and HIStory as the best. Because of 3 songs Who Is It, Stranger In Moscow, and Earth Song.

With this question it's not about favourite songs or what album you prefer it's purely what is the best quality album in terms of production. You would think Invincible would be as its the most expensive and the latest technology was used?

Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible. Bad is the most dated out of all his albums and Thriller has dated musically but stayed fresh vocally. Same with OtW.

Bad, that album is polished. The beats are all there and his voice is on fire. Plus it is funky. Being the third of the Quincy Jones productions it is the most perfect in sound. Dangerous is better, but its all over the place production wise. Teddy Riley's production seems a bit dated now, but Quincy's is timeless in my opinion only.

Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible. Bad is the most dated out of all his albums and Thriller has dated musically but stayed fresh vocally. Same with OtW.

I mean, all of his albums have dated musically tbh. I remember listening to HIStory almost in full a few weeks ago and every so often I'd hear a certain sound or effect on a song and think "damn that sounded pretty 90s".

I'm not saying it's a bad thing (cos it isn't) but ya know, you could make that argument for all of his albums tbh.

Last edited:
Definitly the Off The Wall-Triumph-Thriller period.

With BAD we entered the digital production era and everything changed from limited warm analog beauty to unlimited thin digital overproduction. I'm just not a fan of that sound. (Not saying that no more great songs have been made after Thriller, just talking about production sound.)

I mean, all of his albums have dated musically tbh. I remember listening to HIStory almost in full a few weeks ago and every so often I'd hear a certain sound or effect on a song and think "damn that sounded pretty 90s".

I'm not saying it's a bad thing (cos it isn't) but ya know, you could make that argument for all of his albums tbh.

Obviously. But compare Dangerous to another NJS album.. say Rhythm Nation(1989). And then compare it to BS' Circus (2009). Dangerous and Circus sound almost identical on the basis of production; smooth, glossy beats, and crystal clear vocals. Even the instruments and the general settings feel the same. Do the same with HIStory and Vince and the results will be similar.

However, Bad has much less "smoothness" - in songs like Another Part of Me and Speed Demon there seems to be so much noise and instrumental hiss. Even some of the most timeless songs on Bad predominantly have that 80's feel. With Thriller, the instruments were indeed from the 80's timeframe but there's no hiss or the distortion that Bad had. Some people might find Bad better because of that but to me the production has dated. Although it doesn't take away the greatness of that album.

I would say 'HIStory' is by far the best produced record of Michael's.

Definitly the Off The Wall-Triumph-Thriller period.

With BAD we entered the digital production era and everything changed from limited warm analog beauty to unlimited thin digital overproduction. I'm just not a fan of that sound. (Not saying that no more great songs have been made after Thriller, just talking about production sound.)
So was Off the Wall and Thriller recorded with real instruments like a band would do and BAD onwards was recorded digitally?

Sound-wise, production-wise I'd have to say Bad-Dangerous-HIStory. They just sound incredible to me.

She drives me wild can definitely stand up next to my EDM. it hasn't dated.

Dangerous is my favorite album in terms of production. There's so much going on in every song while everything sounds balanced. It is a work of art. She drives me wild is one of the songs I think is still current. Those car sounds are awesome! The snare used in this song was a slapping car door for examle

Off The Wall, Triumph, Thriller and HIStory.

Bad - too 80's with over-reliance of that bass synthesizer.

Dangerous - Teddy's NJS production makes Dangerous MJ's most dated produced album ever.

Invincible - no comment.

It is really difficult for me to decide between 'Off the Wall,' 'Thriller', 'Bad' and even 'Triumph'. They are all wonderfully done-and I could listen to all 4 of them 24 hours a day. I have an older car that has a cassette player that I never used. After Michael died, I pulled out my cassettes of these albums, put them in the car, and I guess I must have a really great stereo system in my car-I heard things coming from all 4 sections of my car that I hadn't heard since I used to play the album versions on our old family stereo. It was startling-and now it's just great.
I love them all to death.

If I had to choose, I'd go with 'Thriller'-by a hair.

Last edited:
Dangerous, forever. It's his best album ever. Will You Be There, Who Is It, RTT, Black or White, Dangerous, Gone Too Soon, Jam, WYWTOM, ITC. I love them to death!! I have to admit. I had to go a loooooooong way until I realized Dangerous is my all time favorite. First, it was Bad.

We can't forget about HIStory. That album is a masterpiece as well. 2Bad, Tabloid Junkie, TDCAU, Earth Song, Scream, YANA, DS, Stranger In Moscow... His vocals are powerful on those songs. But Dangerous is a much more creative than HIStory.

Goddddd... I wish Dangerous got more credit. It's a shame Dangerous is overshadowed by Thriller and Bad.

Matty jam why would you think I was being sarcastic? :/

I love dangerous like the rest of you and I was simply saying She drives me wild won't date because it's layers of clever sound. That's genius. That's what the kids are working with now. Sound...everyday sound.
As for the rest of the album, it's my favourite and yes, it's classic and yes some of it has dated because of Teddys new jack swing input. Which ain't new anymore.
(That last bit was some sarcasm just for you son.)

Bad - too 80's with over-reliance of that bass synthesizer.

What's wrong with the 80's? I'd happily welcome that style of music back. I consider the 80's to be the golden age of mainstream pop music.

Very tough. Each album was produced fantastically for the sound it was trying to achieve (except for Invincible, didn't do it for me production wise- Not tryin'a start somethin' Matty!!!!!) but I would have to say in terms of achieving a certain sound and energy for each song, I would give Bad the nod.

What's wrong with the 80's? I'd happily welcome that style of music back. I consider the 80's to be the golden age of mainstream pop music.

In a heartbeat. The 80's sound will be remembered for having better music than what's coming out today. Drivel.

I'm seeing the word ''dated'' get thrown around a lot here.

Personally, I don't care if an album sounds ''dated'' or not. All I care about is if the music is good.

I'm seeing the word ''dated'' get thrown around a lot here.

Personally, I don't care if an album sounds ''dated'' or not. All I care about is if the music is good.

Such an annoying phrase. Agree 100% with your comment.

BAD is the album that gets picked on the most for being ''dated'' but I don't think the question should be ''Can BAD live up to the music of today?'' I think the real question is ''Can the music of today live up to BAD?''

Last edited:
Back