Michael's Unreleased Material [MERGED]

Re: List of Michael's Unreleased Material

Is it a complete guess calling Grass an earlier orchestrated song? Also, don't we know need to minus 8 songs from the 30-40 complete/almost songs with the new album or did vogel mean unheard.

California Grass is an orchestrated song, yes. But no, Vogel was referring to the songs that have not been released or leaked.

California Grass is an orchestrated song, yes. But no, Vogel was referring to the songs that have not been released or leaked.

What evidence do you have for it to be an orchestrated song?

Now you have to update the list. :D

Do lyrics exist for any of the unreleased songs ?

Yes, a simple search will provide you what you need. :)

Couldn't really find anything when I searched it on here, any help ?

Update: the entire first post has been revamped. Many song titles that overtime, have proven unlikely to exist have been removed, and others have been added.

Update: the entire first post has been revamped. Many song titles that overtime, have proven unlikely to exist have been removed, and others have been added.

Yeah, seems like a lot has been taken down and updated. Thanks for updating it AlwaysThere, this is a very resourceful information and I usually like to go through the list every once in a while and just stare at the lists hoping it shows up on the next official release lol.

Hey AlwaysThere, I think a list like this is invaluable. Thank you so much for doing something like this. However, I have a few questions and comments.

First, there are a few things where I'm interested to know how you know when certain things were done. For instance, stuff like "Fantasy" and "Far, Far Away" say there were recorded in 1983. However, through all the research I've done, I've never seen this listed as such.

Secondly, I'm not sure if you think it's a good idea or not, but I think it might be sensible to add a Victory or at least a "post-Thriller, pre-Bad" section. For instance, I don't think something like "Buffalo Bill" really fits in with the Thriller section, although you list it there. As you know, it's a Victory outtake, as Bruce Swedien (I'm pretty sure) talking about his brothers singing on it. Also, I'm guessing that you could probably put "There Must Be More To Life Than This" and "Victory" (the song) in that section as well. I'm pretty sure those songs (along with "State of Shock" obviously) were intended for Victory. At least I'd assume "Victory" is, since they used the song title for the album.

I also personally think that any albums should usually "end" with the release of said album, since obviously anything recorded after an album could no longer be intended for it (although I suppose I would sneak "Someone Put Your Hand" out into the Dangerous list). For instance, in my mind it doesn't make sense to put "Throwing Your Life Away" in the Bad section if it was done in 1988, and therefore not possibly intended for that album. However, it's your right to make the list any way you want it, but personally I'd reformat the list to make the eras as such:

Off The Wall era: 1978-1979
Thriller era: 1980-1982
Victory era: 1983-1984
Bad era: 1984-1987 (starting approximately with "Scared Of The Moon" and ending with "Streetwalker")
Dangerous era: 1988-1992 (starting with "Throwing Your Life Away" and ending with "Someone Put Your Hand Out")
HIStory / Blood On The Dance Floor era: 1994-1997
Invincible era: 1998-2001
Final works: 2002-2009

For the "final works" I'd also probably add stuff stuff like "Beautiful Girl" and the "The Way You Love Me" since The Ultimate Collection said they were indeed worked on through 2004. And I'd also add like to add things like "Hollywood Tonight" since it was being worked on all the way through 2008.

And lastly, I do wonder whether you know for sure whether a lot of this stuff was truly recorded. I know a bunch of titles have been copyrighted but I wonder if many of them were even demoed. Obviously, you seem to know quite a bit more about this stuff than the rest of us, but are you definitely convinced that everything on your list was actually recorded?

Also, for the Dangerous era I think it would be fair to add "Messin Round" since it's known that it was worked on then, and it's also on the handwritten list of tracks of Michael's from around that era. Also included on that list were "Call it Off", "Verdict", "Truth on Youth" and "7 Digits" which I'd assume were recorded as well.

Just curious, are you going to finish this list? There are TONS of TONS songs missing

you've had more than a month now to provide (or write) an estate engineers email to me as you said you would.

I think you must update list,because your missing a lot of leaked songs on that list,and some official confirmed song too...

Hopefully we'll get to hear all of these in their original state + the original versions on "Michael"

Gah, seeing this list makes me feel like my unreleased material collection is tinnnyyyy (though I'm not as far behind as I think I am, haha) - am I correct in that the entries without any following information have no leads? Because I have some of these that have no apparent other information.

Also, I Have this Dream was recorded in 1998. He talked about it in a 1999 TVGuide interview.

EDIT haha nevermind I can't read, the original one is listed.

Last edited:

- delete

Last edited:

Great thread. Glad I came across it and learned some things

Interesting, so there's not that much unreleased material left of him. I thought there will be much more or something.

Interesting, so there's not that much unreleased material left of him. I thought there will be much more or something.

No, there's still a bunch left! We've heard quite a bit, but there's quite a bit remaining!

I'm planning on doing yet another edit and getting some more titles included :)

No, there's still a bunch left! We've heard quite a bit, but there's quite a bit remaining!

I'm planning on doing yet another edit and getting some more titles included :)
I'm here for your updates as always! :cool:

Ghost of another lover, its a track that was written on the notes of unreleased tracks which was found on Michael's room.

Great work AlwaysThere. Just wanted to know if you have an idea on the completion rate of each song? Are there any unheard songs from your list that were completely finished by Michael? Thanks.

I get the feeling there is less than 15-20 songs that are actually complete left in the vault.

Last edited:

I get the feeling there is less than 15-20 songs that are actually complete left in the vault.

15-20 complete songs are still enough for like 2 albums.

Trust me, you'll be shocked at the amount of completed and "useable" material left in the vault

Back