Michael's work with Quincy Jones

Bringing Brighter Days;4086432 said:
his resume clearly indicates he has earned the right to be recognized as the greatest musical producer of all time and he would have earned that distinction if he and Michael Jackson never worked together....yes, their collaboration together was Quincy's most celebrated moments, but he was already the best during the time black music and its representatives were being shunned by the restrictions placed w/in the entertainment and music field.....

I never thought Back on the Block deserved even one Grammy, let alone 8. I think that that album got 8 Grammys is a very good representation of the Grammys being highly political at times and a lot depending who is well connected within the board and who is not. Quincy definitely is one of the well connected people in the industry. That's not to say he isn't a great musician or artists, but that particular album was not that great and it winning 8 Grammys was more political than anything else IMO.

No one said he did not have a musical resume before or after Michael so you did not have to list his life here. We are all aware of that, you do not tell us anything new. But it's a fact that he achieved his greatest success - by far - with Michael. So to say his career would be the same without Michael is just not true. He would still probably be a highly respected jazz/soft jazz/jazz-funk/film music producer, but not the household name that he is with Michael's success. Why do you think he is always being asked about Michael if his career would be the same without him? And I am sure the royalties he's getting through his work with Michael also matter a lot to his finances. So to play down Michael's role in his life and career - I am not here for that.

he never needed to or tried to take credit for the success he and MJ shared together....that's a myth that's been put out their over recent times

this was not an issue when their collaboration was actually taking place, there was never any debates about who was doing what......that's what's so unfortunate about where things stand now and how history is being changed to fit narratives.....

It's not a myth unfortunately that he said some degrading things about Michael as an artist. Do you think MJ fans are just bitter at him for no reason at all? He's been very disrespectful to Michael with no reason.

and the reason is Quincy is speaking out more about his contribution to Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad is because for the past 5 years, the insinuation has been presented publically that he did not really contribute....

Can you show me examples of that?

Last edited:
respect77;4086435 said:
I never thought Back on the Block deserved even one Grammy, let alone 8. I think that that album got 8 Grammys is a very good representation of the Grammys being highly political at times and a lot depending who is well connected within the board and who is not. Quincy definitely is one of the well connected people in the industry. That's not to say he isn't a great musician or artists, but that particular album was not that great and it winning 8 Grammys was more political than anything else IMO.

No one said he did not have a musical resume before or after Michael so you did not have to list his life here. We are all aware of that, you do not tell us anything new. But it's a fact that he achieved his greatest success - by far - with Michael. So to say his career would be the same without Michael is just not true. He would still probably be a highly respected jazz/soft jazz/jazz-funk/film music producer, but not the household name that he is with Michael's success. Why do you think he is always being asked about Michael if his career would be the same without him? And I am sure the royalties he's getting through his work with Michael also matter a lot to his finances. So to play down Michael's role in his life and career - I am not here for that.

It's not a myth unfortunately that he said some degrading things about Michael as an artist. Do you think MJ fans are just bitter at him for no reason at all? He's been very disrespectful to Michael with no reason.

Can you show me examples of that?

wait though, when MJ won his 8 Grammys in 1984 (which was well deserved), I don't think anyone was talking political connections then

as far as Back on the Block, the album wasn't just about Quincy Jones, it was about the collaboration of all the artists who participated on it, it was about a celebration of the entire musical spectrum, in many ways just like Thriller

is a 1989 studio album produced by Quincy Jones.[5] The album features legendary musicians and singers from across three generations, including Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Joe Zawinul, Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, Sarah Vaughan, Dizzy Gillespie, George Benson, Luther Vandross, Dionne Warwick, Barry White, Chaka Khan, Take 6, Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau, Al B. Sure!, James Ingram, El DeBarge and Ray Charles.

The grammys that it did win wasn't as much about him as much as it was about the music performances and out of all of those performers, not one ever said that Quincy tried to take all the credit for it wasn't about taking credit.........and when critics were trying to compare Tevin to a young Michael Jackson Quincy said that wasn't fair because Michael was a triple threat performer

and when Michael and Quincy's collaboration started, it wasn't Quincy who approached Michael , it was Michael who approached him because he knew just how accomplished Quincy already was, even before the Wiz, he had just completed the musical score for "Roots" miniseries and was working with the Brothers Johnson going into the creation for Off The Wall in 1978, Quincy was already the most saught after musical producer in the business, and Quincy never rested on his laurels because after Off The Wall, he produced his own album "The Dude" in 1981, one of the best albums that year and won a string of Grammy's and featured the likes of Patti Austin and James Ingram who performed background vocals for a number of songs on Thriller

Quincy was already the best but the pop music world did not recognize him...same thing with Michael Jackson with Off the Wall as the the Grammys did not award him for best pop album in 1981

it works both ways, just as Quincy's most iconic work took place w/MJ, MJ's most iconic work was with Quincy....there is no disputing that, working on back to back to back albums that sold over 100 million copies total....it's the best collaboration in music history

Quincy didn't make Michael and Michael didn't make Quincy, they were already legends, they brought the absolute best out of each other and that's how their collaboration should be remembered but we have antagonists now who have surfaced in the past 5 years who are determined to change history and write their own narrative and Quincy knows this and that's why he's coming across more defiant these days in interviews when asked about their work together

and we need to understand that Michael made mistakes that had deep impact on his life and career. it's never mentioned that when the 93 allegations surfaced (which I never once felt that MJ was guilty of or in 2005), Quincy was one of his staunchest supporters, advocated for him, and always spoke highly of him, but when it happened again 12 years later, that's when Quincy got upset and said he only knew MJ on a professional level because he was mad he allowed himself to be placed in that position again when it could all been avoided...if you really care about somebody, u may say things they may come across as harsh but you are saying it because u see how that person is hurting themselves...at some point, the human consideration is more important than the entertainment aspect

the whole thing about Quincy never liking Billie Jean is nothing but a myth that started 5 years ago

[video=youtube;ASP_tAtT79s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASP_tAtT79s[/video]

of all the years, there was never one artists, not one who ever worked with Quincy who ever said he tried to take all the credit..not one'

but everything is being distorted now

[video]https://youtu.be/l-g2jV2nlHs[/video]

When Quincy received producer of the year in 1984, he didn't take all the credit, he acknowledged everyone who helped made Thriller a success and thanked Michael for the songs he wrote for the album

when Michael and Quincy went up on that stage together to receive those Grammys, it was the best celebratory night in music history

Last edited:
Bringing Brighter Days;4086448 said:
wait though, when MJ won his 8 Grammys in 1984 (which was well deserved), I don't think anyone was talking political connections then

Some albums deserve Grammys, some do not. In my opinion Back on the Block did not deserve it. And I actually read an article not long ago about the most undeserved Grammys of all times and on that list Back on the Block was #1 so I am certainly not alone with this opinion.

And you do not need to tell me what Back on the Block is about. I have that album, so I know what I am talking about. IMO it's an entertaining album, but not one that deserves a Grammy, lot alone a truckload of Grammys. Most songs on it were covers or re-makes and yes Q got a bunch of famous performers sing those old songs on his album. And that was it basically. (Same as his next album Q's Jook Joint.)

Actually Quincy does that a lot: I mean re-making and rehashing old songs. He composed some songs, but he is not really a songwriter and that's why he has so many re-makes and rehashings of old songs on his albums.

but we have antagonists now who have surfaced in the past 5 years who are determined to change history and write their own narrative and Quincy knows this and that's why he's coming across more defiant these days in interviews when asked about their work together

Once again I ask you to show examples of this. If anything, I have seen the opposite of this: people trying to play down Michael's role on his albums and give all credit to Quincy. It's just that sometimes Michael Jackson fans have enough of that BS.

Heck, when that We Are The World remake was done for Haiti I have even seen an article claim that WATW was a Quincy Jones-Lionel Richie song, with no mention of Michael at all. So much about poor Quincy not being given enough credit.

Last edited:
respect77;4086451 said:
Some albums deserve Grammys, some do not. In my opinion Back on the Block did not deserve it. And I actually read an article not long ago about the most undeserved Grammys of all times and on that list Back on the Block was #1 so I am certainly not alone with this opinion.

And you do not need to tell me what Back on the Block is about. I have that album, so I know what I am talking about. IMO it's an entertaining album, but not one that deserves a Grammy, lot alone a truckload of Grammys. Most songs on it were covers or re-makes and yes Q got a bunch of famous performers sing those old songs on his album. And that was it basically. (Same as his next album Q's Jook Joint.)

Actually Quincy does that a lot: I mean re-making and rehashing old songs. He composed some songs, but he is not really a songwriter and that's why he has so many re-makes and rehashings of old songs on his albums.

Once again I ask you to show examples of this. If anything, I have seen the opposite of this: people trying to play down Michael's role on his albums and give all credit to Quincy. It's just that sometimes Michael Jackson fans have enough of that BS.

Heck, when that We Are The World remake was done for Haiti I have even seen an article claim that WATW was a Quincy Jones-Lionel Richie song, with no mention of Michael at all. So much about poor Quincy not being given enough credit.

everyone is entitled to one's opinion about what deserves distinction or not....that's not why I responded to this particular topic....I'm not even suggesting Back on the Block deserve what it was awarded......

by that point Quincy Jones really had nothing to prove because he had already proved it a very long time ago, after working with Michael, he was already 60 years old and produced tenfold as much music as we've seen anyone ever done before he started working with Michael....he even asked Michael to participate on Back on the Block and he declined....

when the 90s started, Quincy was moreso seeking new talent or artists who had been phased out by the industry during the 80s/late 80s (Barry White, James Ingram, El Debarge) and the like in an attempt to help rebuild their careers, or cultivate new talents like Tevin Campbell, bring recognition to the original intent of hip-hop before it got commercialize and give props to the luminary artists of the be-bop era such as your Sarah Vaughns, Ella Fitzgeralds, Dizzy Gillespies and the like, and I'm sure his willingness to feature the entire musical spectrum during the musical spectrum was being marginalized played a key role in him winning the Grammys the album received.....sometimes it's how you present the music rather than the music presentation itself

so the perceived practice of "rehashing" old songs were done for this purpose

and Quincy never said he was a songwriter, he started off as a musicians then arranger, then composer than producer before cutting scores......

a producers work is just as vital as the artist's, that's what made Michael Jackson/Quincy Jones collaboration so great, especially when it was actually taking place.....it was a celebration more than a tear down....it didn't get no better than that....tehre has not been another Artist/producer tandem that has come close to achieving what they did

all this talk about who wants credit for what, these conversations didn't take place when the collaboration actually taken place

as far as MJ wanted to work with other producers, I never had a problem with that because, they had no other points to prove as a team, nobody was gonna top what they did anyway....

but the collaboration ended not because of any perceive lack or overtaking of credit...but it was because Bad did not outsell Thriller, if Bad had done so, Michael would have never started working with Teddy Riley

for Quincy to do what he did at 50 in producing the greatest selling album of all time is a testament to his greatness and that's why Michael sought a producer of this caliber when he started his adult solo career....there's not one producer on the scene right now in 2015 who could ahve done that....

and as you say, you saw an "article" about not giving credit for the success of WATW but Quincy himself never said that, because on grammy night in 1986, Quincy gave full credit to both Michael and Lionel Richie for co-writing the song

@Bringing Brighter Days

Most of your post has nothing to do with what I have written. No one disputed that Quincy is a great producer-arranger, so no need to keep going on about that. Also, no one disputes his contribution to OTW, Thriller and Bad. What people have a problem with is some of his degrading remarks about Michael after his death. Both as a person and as an artist. So if you have a problem with people taking issues with Quincy then turn to Quincy's comments first because those comments are which prompted these responses in the first place. It's not just because the MJ community once decided to turn on Quincy for no reason at all. He made some very rude comments FIRST, remember?

but the collaboration ended not because of any perceive lack or overtaking of credit...but it was because Bad did not outsell Thriller, if Bad had done so, Michael would have never started working with Teddy Riley

No one said the collaboration ended because of lack of credit. You are mixing together everything. I think you have also no way of knowing what would have happened if Bad outsold Thriller. Bad was still a very successful album, but IMO it's clear that by the end of the 90s that Quincy-MJ artistic collaboration got exhausted and I'm glad Michael moved on to new territory. He needed that for his own development as an artist.

and as you say, you saw an "article" about not giving credit for the success of WATW but Quincy himself never said that, because on grammy night in 1986, Quincy gave full credit to both Michael and Lionel Richie for co-writing the song

Again, no one said Quincy said that. But you keep going on about Quincy being bitter because after MJ's death he was not given enough credit. I asked you to show me how and where he was not given enough credit. If anything I saw the contrary, so that is not a good excuse for his bitterness.

I never said anything about Quincy saying he didn't receive enough credit

these conversations weren't needed, even thought of in the 80s....there was no need for it because the public and those who bought those records knew what the situation was.....

from the music perspective, they are equal contributors for what they achieved together

there's no question Michael would have continued working with Quincy Jones if Bad had outsold Thriller...he worked w/no other producer as much as he did with Quincy Jones, he essentially worked with Teddy Riley for one full album and Rodney Jerkins for one full album and with HIstory a number of producers....no other producer understood the essence of Michael Jackson's artistic talent and versatility the way Quincy Jones did.....and he's the best producer Michael ever worked with

when Michael worked with Teddy Riley and Rodney Jerkins, he incorporated sounds and styles they had already developed years before he worked with them....

Bringing Brighter Days;4086463 said:
there's no question Michael would have continued working with Quincy Jones if Bad had outsold Thriller...

That's just your opinion, not something that can be verified either way.

Also many fans feel Dangerous or HIStory were MJ's best albums and those are just as legit opinions as yours.

respect77;4086465 said:
That's just your opinion, not something that can be verified either way.

Also many fans feel Dangerous or HIStory were MJ's best albums and those are just as legit opinions as yours.

I didn't say anything about what was the best album

I said no other producer Michael ever worked with during his adult solo career understood his artistic musical versatility better than Quincy Jones, and this is why Michael worked with him for 3 straight albums, his 3 most prolific albums, back to back to back

the problem is that this was not a problem to acknowledge when their collaboration actually existed but that reality gets rejected in the present day.....

[video]https://youtu.be/vGbZh7lcysQ[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/e-H1mCEAoiA[/video]

Last edited:
Bringing Brighter Days;4086472 said:
the problem is that this was not a problem to acknowledge when their collaboration actually existed but that reality gets rejected in the present day.....

Rejected by whom? You still has not shown an example.

Quincy always famously said a great album is never the product of one person, but a whole team...that's why he was successful over 6 decades

Bringing Brighter Days;4086463 said:
from the music perspective, they are equal contributors for what they achieved together

I think the person who actually wrote, composed, sang, co-produced and performed the songs deserves a bit more credit than the producer but that's just me.

LindavG;4086482 said:
I think the person who actually wrote, composed, sang, co-produced and performed the songs deserves a bit more credit than the producer but that's just me.

for what they achieved for the music they created, they are equal contributors, we can't have one w/out the other

u are right in that the artists deserves more credit and deserves more profile because the name of the artist on the album is the reason why we buy the records

Bringing Brighter Days;4086490 said:
u are right in that the artists deserves more credit and deserves more profile because the name of the artist on the album is the reason why we buy the records

Really? not for their talent whatsoever?

Last edited:
Bringing Brighter Days;4086448 said:
and when Michael and Quincy's collaboration started, it wasn't Quincy who approached Michael , it was Michael who approached him because he knew just how accomplished Quincy already was

A little correction for that.
"When Jackson asked Jones to recommend a producer for his first solo album, Jones told him he would like to take a shot at it himself."

That is from Q's interview and can be verified from MJ's book. MJ asked Q if he knew someone to produce his album and Q replied that he wanted to do that.

Bringing Brighter Days;4086458 said:

What? Don't you think that is quite nasty description of MJ? It is known fact that MJ was quite upset that Q refused to give him co-producer's credit for one song in Thriller (can't remember name of the song), so I believe there was more friction between them that it is publicity known and some of the friction is know to public. Also, that friction appeared before BAD was even out, not because it didn't outsell Thriller.
I would recommend you to watch Spike Lee's Bad 25 documentary. If you don't have time to watch it, read this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-bad-25_b_2165698.html

Foot note, Bad album didn't have Motown 25 and Billie Jean moment to help with sales, or the momentum when MJ's first videos from Thriller came out to support the sales and that times MJ's videos were new and ground breaking. If Bad had come before Thriller, I have no doubt it would have sold more than Thriller did.

Second foot note, if MJ hadn't fought against Q and let Q do his job, we wouldn't have had Billie Jean or Smooth Criminal:cheeky:

Bubs;4086579 said:
A little correction for that.
"When Jackson asked Jones to recommend a producer for his first solo album, Jones told him he would like to take a shot at it himself."

That is from Q's interview and can be verified from MJ's book. MJ asked Q if he knew someone to produce his album and Q replied that he wanted to do that.

What? Don't you think that is quite nasty description of MJ? It is known fact that MJ was quite upset that Q refused to give him co-producer's credit for one song in Thriller (can't remember name of the song), so I believe there was more friction between them that it is publicity known and some of the friction is know to public. Also, that friction appeared before BAD was even out, not because it didn't outsell Thriller.
I would recommend you to watch Spike Lee's Bad 25 documentary. If you don't have time to watch it, read this article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/michael-jackson-bad-25_b_2165698.html

Foot note, Bad album didn't have Motown 25 and Billie Jean moment to help with sales, or the momentum when MJ's first videos from Thriller came out to support the sales and that times MJ's videos were new and ground breaking. If Bad had come before Thriller, I have no doubt it would have sold more than Thriller did.

Second foot note, if MJ hadn't fought against Q and let Q do his job, we wouldn't have had Billie Jean or Smooth Criminal:cheeky:

I did not say that MJ asked Quincy to produce his first album, I said he approach Quincy about looking for a producer for his first album, even in that, MJ knew who Quincy Jones was and deep down was probably hoping for him to work on it all along.....this happens all the time in collaborations, somebody makes the first move.....this don't diminish Michael and who he was or what he accomplished...and when Epic Records tried to get another producer for Michael to work with, Michael lobbied for Quincy until they agreed...

and it's not a nasty disposition to say the obvious.......Michael wanted to sell 100 million copies of Bad, he said that himself in his autobiography Moonwalk....that's the figure he wanted and when it didn't happen, he wasn't just going to sit there w/no reaction at all.....

and this whole notion about Quincy Jones not wanting Billie Jean on Thriller is a myth that started 5 years ago, the only thing Quincy said about it was that he felt the intro should be shortened at the beginning of the song and considering how Billie Jean is considered Michael's signature song over time and how he has performed Billie Jean on his solo tours countless times leading into that intro, I would say Quincy was right

as far as Smooth Criminal, this story has popped out from nowhere too considering the majority of the songs featured on the Bad LP were written by Michael which indicate realistically, Michael had more production control than Quincy even though the album was produced under Quincy Jones productions

no situation is absolutely perfect as if they never had any disagreements but their collaboration was meant to be and the evidence supports that

and Bad received way more promotion than Thriller ever did

Thriller was released under very little fanfare in 1982 because leading into its release, radio stations were still playing songs from the Triumph Live LP, yes, Motown 25 and the groundbreaking videos helped take Thriller to the top

but Bad had the advantage of Michael conducting his first ever solo tour to promote it, video promotion for all of his major single releases, with 5 of his singles reaching #1, he had the support of the Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller VHS along with It's Showtime Michael Jackson VHS, full length Pepsi commercials, performances on the 88 Grammy Awards, the Moonwalker video game during the summer months of 1988, he even had his own tennis shoe released by Reebok, the video of his debut single, the title track premiered on prime time hours on CBS, Bad was the most eagerly anticipated follow up in history.......and MTV did an entire special about the Bad Tour and did another special showing MJ performing live during the Bad Tour

Last edited:
Bringing Brighter Days;4086581 said:
and it's not a nasty disposition to say the obvious.......Michael wanted to sell 100 million copies of Bad, he said that himself in his autobiography Moonwalk....that's the figure he wanted and when it didn't happen, he wasn't just going to sit there w/no reaction at all.....

Sorry, but this is just your jumping to conclusions. Just because Michael set the goal of selling 100 million copies of Bad it does not follow that failing to achieve that goal is the reason why he left Quincy.

and this whole notion about Quincy Jones not wanting Billie Jean on Thriller is a myth that started 5 years ago, the only thing Quincy said about it was that he felt the intro should be shortened at the beginning of the song and considering how Billie Jean is considered Michael's signature song over time and how he has performed Billie Jean on his solo tours countless times leading into that intro, I would say Quincy was right

I see that Quincy is infallible in your eyes, but how was he right about Billie Jean? Bilie Jean is perfect the way Michael created it. There was no need to cut off the intro at all.

Thriller was released under very little fanfare in 1982 because leading into its release, radio stations were still playing songs from the Triumph Live LP, yes, Motown 25 and the groundbreaking videos helped take Thriller to the top

but Bad had the advantage of Michael conducting his first ever solo tour to promote it, video promotion for all of his major single releases, with 5 of his singles reaching #1, he had the support of the Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller VHS along with It's Showtime Michael Jackson VHS, full length Pepsi commercials, performances on the 88 Grammy Awards, the Moonwalker video game during the summer months of 1988, he even had his own tennis shoe released by Reebok, the video of his debut single, the title track premiered on prime time hours on CBS, Bad was the most eagerly anticipated follow up in history.......and MTV did an entire special about the Bad Tour and did another special showing MJ performing live during the Bad Tour

You forget that by the time Bad was released Michael received some negative criticism that had nothing to do with the music. Eg. criticism of his changing look and of course there is also the media's "build you up, tear you down" game. During Thriller all MJ got was positive publicity, but by Bad that changed. The whole "w***o j***o" thing started and IMO just because of this turn in the publicity around him he never had a realistic chance of selling as many copies of Bad as of Thriller. And that had nothing to do with the music.

But I can't see how this has anything to do with Michael supposedly switching producers because Bad did not sell 100 million copies. That's just your opinion and your conclusions, there is no evidence of that being Michael's reason.

Bringing Brighter Days;4086472 said:
I didn't say anything about what was the best album

I said no other producer Michael ever worked with during his adult solo career understood his artistic musical versatility better than Quincy Jones, and this is why Michael worked with him for 3 straight albums, his 3 most prolific albums, back to back to back

The problem is Quincy Jones nasty comments about MJ and his children when he died. I'm bringing that point back because criticisms of QJ about those comments is what seemed to steer this discussion off into QJ's contributions to MJ's granted most celebrated career period. No one is denying Quincy Jones contributions or his genius.

With all his understanding of MJ's artistic music versatility and anything else, no other producer MJ worked with has demeaned him as QJ. So all this other stuff is just noise IMO. Because despite whatever happened between them, MJ never ever said anything derogatory about the wondrous Q.

respect77;4086583 said:
Sorry, but this is just your jumping to conclusions. Just because Michael set the goal of selling 100 million copies of Bad it does not follow that failing to achieve that goal is the reason why he left Quincy.

I see that Quincy is infallible in your eyes, but how was he right about Billie Jean? Bilie Jean is perfect the way Michael created it. There was no need to cut off the intro at all.

You forget that by the time Bad was released Michael received some negative criticism that had nothing to do with the music. Eg. criticism of his changing look and of course there is also the media's "build you up, tear you down" game. During Thriller all MJ got was positive publicity, but by Bad that changed. The whole "w***o j***o" thing started and IMO just because of this turn in the publicity around him he never had a realistic chance of selling as many copies of Bad as of Thriller. And that had nothing to do with the music.

But I can't see how this has anything to do with Michael supposedly switching producers because Bad did not sell 100 million copies. That's just your opinion and your conclusions, there is no evidence of that being Michael's reason.

I don't believe Quincy is infallible at all.......

before the Bad album was released, Quincy suggested Michael start projecting a more macho image which I felt was unnecessary considering that Thriller achieved what it achieved

as far as Bad goes, the album had sold over 16 million copies worldwide 2 months after its release, which was on pace to outsell Thriller buy a mile, and those figures are accurate considering the anticipation for the album being the follow up that it was, and considering he was promoting the album by performing his first ever solo tour

as far as the pendulum shift by the media, it's well know that originated because Michael started planted stories to create this mystique as he told his associates to issue pictures to the National Inquirer in 1986 showing him sleeping in the oxygen chamber and mention how he wanted to buy the elephant man's bones, and told his associates to have the Inquirer identify him as weird

Michael received critically acclaimed attention during Thriller because everything Michael presented during that album was relating to his triple threat talent, the music, the videos, and the performances

Quincy only made the suggestion to cut the intro time down to Billie Jean which I would say was right on the money as the intro set was perfect symmetry to the way Michael always performed the song starting out with the Sammy Davis Jr. Tribute pose and the up and down movement before he started kicking his legs

the american press didn't start that w**** j**** term, it was the australian press who did as Michael completed his first set of shows in Japan before his scheduled performances in Austrailia,

and after the BAd run ended, he changed producers and managers

Bringing Brighter Days;4086604 said:
Quincy only made the suggestion to cut the intro time down to Billie Jean which I would say was right on the money as the intro set was perfect symmetry to the way Michael always performed the song starting out with the Sammy Davis Jr. Tribute pose and the up and down movement before he started kicking his legs

??????

Billie Jean's intro is one of the most iconic intros ever in music history. To cut it down would have been a crime. Quincy was fallible like everyone else and his calls and judgements - even artistically and musically - weren't always good. Michael was very much right about Billie Jean and I am glad it turned out to be how he wanted it and not how Quincy wanted it. History proved Michael right as Billie Jean - the way Michael wanted it - became one of the most iconic songs of music history. You never have to explain a victory.

the american press didn't start that w**** j**** term, it was the australian press who did as Michael completed his first set of shows in Japan before his scheduled performances in Austrailia,

Who started it is irrelevant from the POV of this discussion. Just like planted stories are irrelevant from the POV of this discussion.

respect77;4086609 said:
??????

Billie Jean's intro is one of the most iconic intros ever in music history. To cut it down would have been a crime. Quincy was fallible like everyone else and his calls and judgements - even artistically and musically - weren't always good. Michael was very much right about Billie Jean and I am glad it turned out to be how he wanted it and not how Quincy wanted it. History proved Michael right as Billie Jean - the way Michael wanted it - became one of the most iconic songs of music history. You never have to explain a victory.

Who started it is irrelevant from the POV of this discussion. Just like planted stories are irrelevant from the POV of this discussion.

'

so its' only irrelevant when it doesn't fit what should be relevant

I only brought that up because you mentioned how the press start attacking him......

but wait though, the intro to Billie Jean "was" was reduced about 15-16 seconds

a series of bar lines were removed before Michael begins his first verse in comparison between the demo and the final version

[video]https://youtu.be/obvf95aCyWs[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/Zi_XLOBDo_Y[/video]

I don't see why this is a big issue about this song, this is still Michael Jackson's song

trying to prove someone is infallible takes away from what these two people accomplished together over the years.....it gets way too technical after awhile

Bringing Brighter Days;4086614 said:
'

so its' only irrelevant when it doesn't fit what should be relevant

I only brought that up because you mentioned how the press start attacking him......

I mentioned it to show that the music was not the reason why Bad wasn't as successful as Thriller. Regardless, none of this has anything to do with why Michael left Quincy.

but wait though, the intro to Billie Jean "was" was reduced about 15-16 seconds

a series of bar lines were removed before Michael begins his first verse in comparison between the demo and the final version

[video]https://youtu.be/obvf95aCyWs[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/Zi_XLOBDo_Y[/video]

Quincy wanted to cut it shorter than how it eventually turned out. That's what the disagreement was about. Michael did win that argument and what you hear on the record is how Michael wanted it, not how Quincy.

Jackson faced numerous disagreements with the song's co-producer. It has been reported that Quincy Jones did not want the song to appear on Thriller and that he felt that the song was too weak to be part of the collection, but Jones has stated this is a false rumor.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] The producer disliked the demo and did not care for the song's bassline.[SUP][9][/SUP] Jones wanted to cut Jackson's 29-second introduction, which was the longest one ever created at the time.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP] The entertainer, however, insisted that it be kept. "I said, 'Michael we've got to cut that intro'" Jones later recalled. "He said: 'But that's the jelly!'[...]'That's what makes me want to dance'. And when Michael Jackson tells you, 'That's what makes me want to dance', well, the rest of us just have to shut up."[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] Jones also wanted to change the track's title to "Not My Lover", as he believed that people would think the song referred to the tennis player Billie Jean King.[SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP] Jackson refused to change the title and asked Jones to give him co-producing credits for the track, as he felt that the demo tape sounded exactly like the finished product. In addition, Jackson wanted extra royalties. Jones granted neither and the two fell out for several days.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Jean

Here is Quincy telling that story himself (@1:05):

[video=youtube;DKP5x-LcvI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKP5x-LcvI4[/video]

Last edited:
In addition to QJ's own interview on youtube you can also check the provided sources in Wikipedia for the quoted part:

http://www.chron.com/life/article/The-steps-that-made-Michael-Jackson-great-1749076.php

This article isn't lacking reliability

respect77;4086633 said:
Ugh. Have you checked out the video? Or Quincy's own words are not good enough for you?

The caption read the video is restricted in my own country

The intro version of billie jean's demo is 15 seconds longer than the final released version

Bringing Brighter Days;4086639 said:
The caption read the video is restricted in my own country

The intro version of billie jean's demo is 15 seconds longer than the final released version

How many times do you want to go on about the demo, when it's confirmed by Quincy's own words that the intro on the finished record came out the way as Michael wanted it, not Quincy? Quincy wanted to cut it shorter (not shorter compared to the demo, but shorter compared to what you hear on the record). Quincy himself said that, so please deal with it.

respect77;4086643 said:
How many times do you want to go on about the demo, when it's confirmed by Quincy's own words that the intro on the finished record came out the way as Michael wanted it, not Quincy? Quincy wanted to cut it shorter (not shorter compared to the demo, but shorter compared to what you hear on the record). Quincy himself said that, so please deal with it.
The video was restricted here in the US also, but I've heard Quincy tell this story about a billion times. He wasn't talking about the demo. He was talking about the actual song-(from memory)"the intro was so long you could shave to it"-but it was hands off, since THAT was what made Michael want to dance.

barbee0715;4086648 said:
. He was talking about the actual song-(from memory)"the intro was so long you could shave to it"-but it was hands off, since THAT was what made Michael want to dance.

Yes, that's the interview.

And eventually it's no big deal, it's a small detail, but the bigger point is that not every opinion of Quincy was right. Billie Jean was Michael's baby and he had to fight for it even with Quincy in some details for it to be the way it is. If for Quincy we would have a song called "Not My Lover" with a shorter intro. Probably it still would have been a hit, but how much cooler is it being called Billie Jean and with a longer intro?

Last edited:
Bringing Brighter Days;4086642 said:
[video=youtube;ASP_tAtT79s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASP_tAtT79s[/video]

I know this has nothing to do with the original question about Q saying nasty personal stuff about Michael after he died, but I, for one, was heartsick when Michael and Q broke up-because I did and still believe they were a match made in heaven. Especially after I heard "Dangerous" the first time. I blamed that new sound on the breakup-

But in the long run it didn't matter-both Michael and Quincy went the NJS/hip hop route and I truly believe because they both liked ALL
kinds of music-from the big band/old American songbook/musicals to rap.Neither one was catering to the new young record buying public.

But this video you posted is exactly the reason we get so incensed when Q talks about Michael sometimes-(2:21-2:38) What am I going to learn from Michael, man? We tell him what songs to sing. etc. That's making Michael out to be his puppet, right there.

Last edited:
Back