MJ Removed From 'Plants vs Zombies' Video Game

I don't see what's so bad about it. Why have it removed? It's not offensive, I don't think.

The Estate think PopCap should pay for some money... if not its impossible to use MJ...

their job is to bring money in using mj image so if ur not paying them don't use it .

Its probably image rights. The estate comes down really hard now on people using Michael's image now. Its all about the money sadly.

My little brothers loved playing that game and seeing MJ pop up

Jackson removed from 'Plants Vs Zombies'
Wednesday, July 28 2010, 6:24am EDT
By Matthew Reynolds, Gaming EditorTweet this Digg this Send to friend More options
Michael JacksonPopCapGamingShowbizA reference to Michael Jackson is to be removed from Plants Vs Zombies.

The Jackson estate has requested that a zombie in the puzzle game dressed as Jackson from 'Thriller' is to be removed from all versions of the title.

"The Estate of Michael Jackson objected to our use of the 'dancing zombie' in Plants Vs Zombies based on its view that the zombie too closely resembled Michael Jackson," a PopCap spokesperson told MTV Multiplayer.

"After receiving this objection, PopCap made a business decision to retire the original 'dancing zombie' and replace it with a different 'dancing zombie' character for future builds of Plants Vs Zombies on all platforms. The phase-out and replacement process is under way."

The zombie has already been replaced in the iPhone game, with changes to other versions coming soon.

Plants Vs Zombies was first released a month before Jackson's death.

It's a really nice game and I played it before MJ's death and to see thriller look like was fun.

Like everyone else said it's a trademark issue. as the story says popcap made the decision to remove it sounds like estate gave them the option to either pay a fee or remove the character.

media1.jpeg

Last edited:
^^
Well, it's money for Mike's kids.

Come on now...if there's one thing you really don't have to worry about is the money that goes to his kids, really. If they had just ingnored this, it really wouldn't have made a big difference. Kinda sad of the estate to make a big deal out of this. MJ loved videgames and probably would have been flattered by this.

Yeah, but the games is already pretty old, now suddenly that it's gaining populairity the estate has a problem with the dancing zombie in it.

I think popcap made the right decision, you want us to pay for using a character that looks like MJ? Screw that, we'll just take the character out.

Come on now...if there's one thing you really don't have to worry about is the money that goes to his kids, really. If they had just ingnored this, it really wouldn't have made a big difference. Kinda sad of the estate to make a big deal out of this. MJ loved videgames and probably would have been flattered by this.

So everybody should be able to use (and abuse?) MJ's image and likeness, make millions for themselves, and not pay a penny for it?

Interesting outlook. I might go and design some trainers and put an addidas logo on them without permission. I can't see anybody getting upset about that, can you?

Listen, Michael became famous due to his hard work and dedication to the art form he loves. He has long since been a 'brand' because of his success. Why should other people get to benefit from his success without having to pay anyone else for it?

Whether Michael's children have 1 million or 100 million, it doesn't really matter here. There is a principle to consider.

So everybody should be able to use (and abuse?) MJ's image and likeness, make millions for themselves, and not pay a penny for it?

Interesting outlook. I might go and design some trainers and put an addidas logo on them without permission. I can't see anybody getting upset about that, can you?

Listen, Michael became famous due to his hard work and dedication to the art form he loves. He has long since been a 'brand' because of his success. Why should other people get to benefit from his success without having to pay anyone else for it?

Whether Michael's children have 1 million or 100 million, it doesn't really matter here. There is a principle to consider.

Exactly.

these people don't seem to understand any of that. A foreign concept.

MJ has his own game coming out anyway.

If it was all about money, you would have seen them exploit MJ's image on an Elvis' scale. So far, they have been very selective on which products they wanna associate with.

Sometime people here....nvmd.

The Michael Jackson zombie is not a major part of the game, or something Popcap used to sell the game. It was an ingame joke, possibly an hommage to the Thriller video. What the estate doesn't get is that these little references in pop culture play a part in keeping the memory of these people alive. Really sad that it had to go.

Yeah, sad for the estate, not for the game.
The game is already good without the dancing zombie.

The Michael Jackson zombie is not a major part of the game, or something Popcap used to sell the game. It was an ingame joke, possibly an hommage to the Thriller video. What the estate doesn't get is that these little references in pop culture play a part in keeping the memory of these people alive. Really sad that it had to go.

I think MJ's Legacy might survive not being a pop-up in a second rate computer game.

See to me this is stupid because 1 we all know how much Michael loved video games and I know he would have liked this,he would have found it funny if anything and,2,it could be seen as a sort of tribute to Thriller because you think zombies you think Thriller so theres nothing wrong with it

I think MJ's Legacy might survive not being a pop-up in a second rate computer game.

Perhaps you are right about an appearance in a second rate computer game, but Plants vs Zombies is the top grossing game for Apple's iDevices. Get your facts straight. Secondly, Michael's legacy will survive without his appearance in the game, however references to him or his work in every day life and pop culture will be important. Take Elvis for instance, where hasn't that guy appeared in. He's been dead for, what 50 years or something and he's still popular.

This game came out two years ago! I loved playing it (still do hehe) When I heard this news...well it's lame, cuz it's pop-culture!

Why the estate coming down hard on this for? I mean, come on now? Stupid little things...

Back