MJ: The Genius of Michael Jackson By Steve Knopper

Good point about Bashir's interview with Diana and how it had so many negative repercussions for her. Bashir didn't really think about anyone else --just how he could climb up as a result of interviewing a famous and hard-to-get-access-to person like Diana or MJ. (So glad he was fired from MSNBC--and humiliated--yay!) Yes, I can see he did contribute to the paps chasing her and thus to her death. He has blood on his hands for sure--hers and MJs.

Not sure what to think about this book. Author gave a talk at a bookstore in Boulder, CO and there was an interview beforehand where he said that MJ and LMP "maybe" did have sexual relations--whaaaat? How many times does LMP have to tell the world "we did it" before people believe her? I wasn't impressed with that comment, but good he is validating MJ's innocence of the charges in 2005. I wonder if he has weighed in on the 1993 charges?

Last edited:
Not sure what to think about this book. Author gave a talk at a bookstore in Boulder, CO and there was an interview beforehand where he said that MJ and LMP "maybe" did have sexual relations--whaaaat? How many times does LMP have to tell the world "we did it" before people believe her? I wasn't impressed with that comment, but good he is validating MJ's innocence of the charges in 2005. I wonder if he has weighed in on the 1993 charges?

I was reading the interview in Boulder and got aggravated at that as well-I thought it was both amusing and frustrating that he's taking Trump's word for it that they had sexual relations, rather than Lisa Marie's herself. What more does it take? Michael hiring a videographer to stay in their suite during the five days at Trump's place.
They're probably the only couple in the world that should have done a "leaked sex tape." (I'm kidding).

Another thing that caught my eye in this interview was that he admitted the "rock snobbism" when he first listened to Dangerous back in 91. He said it was the album that surprised him the most on re-listen and how deep it was, etc. At the time I remember I was disappointed in the "sound" of Dangerous-not the lyrical subject matter-but I told people I expected critics (NYT, Rolling Stone) to rank it higher since they were supposed music experts and I was not.

Anyway, I'll be glad when this book just dies his own little natural death-if anyone wants to read the interview, here's the link.

http://www.westword.com/music/music...about-his-new-book-on-michael-jackson-7305291

Not one single book written about Michael Jackson in the past six years, not one out of the 228 really addresses the nature of what really happened to him because I dont believe the world really wants to know. But when that one book is finally revealed and the truth is finally read, all of these books will cease

Not one single book written about Michael Jackson in the past six years, not one out of the 228 really addresses the nature of what really happened to him because I dont believe the world really wants to know. But when that one book is finally revealed and the truth is finally read, all of these books will cease
It seems hard to believe that 228 books have been written since his death-I can think of about 20 off the top of my head-I guess the only one I bought is Vogel's book, and I have my eye on Bush's book, now that it's at Half Price Books-

Are you talking about what happened to him his whole entire life, or his death, or what? You don't think his fans would want to know?

It seems hard to believe that 228 books have been written since his death-I can think of about 20 off the top of my head-I guess the only one I bought is Vogel's book, and I have my eye on Bush's book, now that it's at Half Price Books-

Are you talking about what happened to him his whole entire life, or his death, or what? You don't think his fans would want to know?

Yes, 228

Not all by actual authors but people who have wrote books about him nonetheless

And based on the response of things, the world as a whole would problably find it difficult to grasp what happened to him

Good point about Bashir's interview with Diana and how it had so many negative repercussions for her. Bashir didn't really think about anyone else --just how he could climb up as a result of interviewing a famous and hard-to-get-access-to person like Diana or MJ. (So glad he was fired from MSNBC--and humiliated--yay!) Yes, I can see he did contribute to the paps chasing her and thus to her death. He has blood on his hands for sure--hers and MJs.

Its a good thing that everybody else knows MJ's sex life better than man himself:smilerolleyes:
I find it amusing peoples obsession of his sex life and his nose. I suppose one day there is a book written about Michael Jackson's nose:doh:

I read a little snippet where he mentions vitiligo and lupus contributing to Michael's appearance, so at least he got something right.

I'm currently on Chapter 5 and I have to say that, so far, I'm impressed. The focus is very much on Michael's artistry though, of course, other matters are touched upon.

Michael Bush's book is great. It gave me a small window into how his creative mind worked. But I've decided to give this book a pass.

Michael Bush's book is great. It gave me a small window into how his creative mind worked. But I've decided to give this book a pass.
I've had the book on my wish list for Christmas for what? 4 years now? I'm going to break down and buy it myself really soon.

You'd think for someone who wanted to be a costume designer for Broadway at one point, it would have been the first book I bought-but I did read a lot of his interviews when he was doing his book signings and watched the YouTube vids of those and the tourings around the country. And of course, I watched his Julien's auction.
I just want to get it in my hot little hands one of these days! :) I've had a lot of questions about certain things-and I hope they get answered. The interviews were all pretty good-and confirmed some things for me.

I bet it's just lovely.

It is lovely. And he has some really good stories too, very funny. You really get an appreciation for all the work that went into the clothing. Amazing!

Not only the book is beautiful, but it also makes you laugh and cry. A great book indeed.

^^ok. You all are going to make me crack. I held off on Vogel's book until the day he published an article about 'Gone Too Soon'. I stopped everything, ordered it immediately and devoured it in one day!!!

Well, I've finished it now and I am a bit disappointed.

It started off so promisingly; it really concentrated on the music and performance. Sadly, after the Chandlers arrived on the scene, the music took a back seat and from there on it was pretty much like all the other books: the accusations, the trial, the debts, This Is It, Conrad Murray. Blood on the Dancefloor doesn't get a mention, and Ghosts isn't covered.

For a book called 'The Genius of Michael Jackson', which I had expected to focus on the artistry, I felt it just lost its way somewhat.

Well, I've finished it now and I am a bit disappointed.

It started off so promisingly; it really concentrated on the music and performance. Sadly, after the Chandlers arrived on the scene, the music took a back seat and from there on it was pretty much like all the other books: the accusations, the trial, the debts, This Is It, Conrad Murray. Blood on the Dancefloor doesn't get a mention, and Ghosts isn't covered.

For a book called 'The Genius of Michael Jackson', which I had expected to focus on the artistry, I felt it just lost its way somewhat.

there is one book that has been written that the universe has to prepare the world to read, to finally understand what happened to Michael Jackson, the totality of what happened, why it happened, how it happened and how we can all take steps to make sure what happens to him never happens to another individual who possessed the immense musical talent that he did

but we as fans have to be willing to understand and set aside our own personal beliefs, the question is are fans willing to do it

Is there a list of these on the internet somewhere or can you post it so I can see what else is out there?

I would love to get a signed copy. I haven't been able to find any. Where did you get yours?

I ordered directly from him, if I'm remembering correctly. I had no idea, either! I was pleasantly surprised to see it. I'll take a picture and post it.

I read this article about 48 hours ago and I haven't been able to shake it. It's supposedly a review of Knoepper's book, but it's not really. It's an article printed in the New Yorker and it's written by a guy who I figured out is about Michael's age and black and a father. It starts out real well, which got me hooked, but by the time I was done, I was almost joined Twitter just to blast him.

There are some parts that are beautiful, loving, and accurate -I, too, would want a better different life for Michael- and some that are vulgar, crude and downright lies. At least to me-it's left me both angry and nauseated. I've had so many people saying to my face exactly what he is writing here. I've had so many fights over Michael and his heritage and his pride in his ancestry that I can't even remember them all-pretty much dismissed because I'm white and therefore, don't know what I'm talking about.

He ends the piece by saying he's not crying for the frail, megalomaniac Plastic Freak, but for all our childhoods. I've had people say that to me in the just the last few years -that I'm mourning and crying over my own lost childhood and my youth back when Michael was young too-so maybe it's just me overreacting. But it's really shut me down for the weekend/holiday.

So, that being said, I'm going to post it here, so other people can read it. Maybe you all can help me get a better perspective on it.

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-two-lives-of-michael-jackson

<header id="page-header" style="margin: 0px auto 25px; padding: 0px 0px 25px; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: border-box; max-width: 1040px; text-align: center; overflow: hidden;"><figure style="margin: 0px auto 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; max-width: 90px; max-height: 90px; border-radius: 50px; overflow: hidden; background: rgb(239, 239, 239);"></figure><hgroup id="masthead" style="margin: 0px; padding: 2px 0px 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; float: left; text-align: left; width: 774.797px;"><time datetime="20151125" itemprop="datePublished" content="2015-11-25" style="margin: 0px 0px 6px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 1.3rem; line-height: 1.3rem; vertical-align: baseline; display: inline-block;">NOVEMBER 25, 2015</time>The Two Lives of Michael Jackson

BY CARVELL WALLACE

<nav class="social-buttons-js social-buttons-square" style="margin: 0px 0px 18px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: center;"></nav></hgroup></header><figure class="horizontal attachment-large landscape img-expandable featured" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;"><figcaption class="caption" itemprop="description" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 20px; border: 0px; font-style: italic; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 1.6rem; line-height: 1.8rem; font-family: adobe-caslon-pro, Times, Georgia, serif; vertical-align: baseline; color: black;">Michael Jackson performs in Germany in June, 1988.CREDITPHOTOGRAPH BY DAVID BALTZER / ZENIT / IAIF / REDUX</figcaption></figure>Do me a favor. Go on YouTube and find the footage of Michael Jackson singing &#8220;Who&#8217;s Lovin&#8217; You&#8221; on &#8220;The Ed Sullivan Show.&#8221; He is eleven years old. It is one of his first times on national television. In the intro, he looks and sounds like . . . well, like an eleven-year-old with a decent ability to ham it up. He does a jokey spoken preamble about how kids can understand the blues, too, because he once fell in love with a girl in the sandbox, toasted their love during &#8220;milk break,&#8221; and broke up during finger painting. Halfway through, he forgets his lines and freezes, looking back at his older brothers for help. It&#8217;s an alarmingly vulnerable moment, one only possible in the era of live television. You feel bad for him. It suddenly doesn&#8217;t seem right that a kid should be made to perform live in front of an entire country. Yet he somehow finds his way back and stumbles through.
When the music starts, we see something else entirely. The first note he sings is as confident, sure, and purposeful as any adult could ever be. He transforms from nervous child at a talent show into timeless embodiment of longing. Not only does he sing exactly on key but he appears to sing from the very bottom of his heart. He stares into the camera, shakes his head, and blinks back tears in perfect imitation of a sixties soul man. And it feels, for a moment, as though there are two different beings here. One is a child&#8212;a smart kid, to be sure, and cute, but not more special than any other child. He is subject to the same laws of life&#8212;pain, age, confusion, fear&#8212;as we all are. The other being seems to be a spirit of sorts, one who knows only the truest expression of human feeling. And this spirit appears to have randomly inhabited the body of this particular mortal kid. In so doing, it has sentenced him to a lifetime of indescribable enchantment and consummate suffering.

The details of that life are well covered in Steve Knopper&#8217;s new book, &#8220;MJ: The Genius of Michael Jackson.&#8221; Knopper, a contributing editor atRolling Stone, takes a journalist&#8217;s approach to the story, chronicling M. J.&#8217;s journey from a working-class family, in Gary, Indiana, to unequalled fame and riches and, finally, to a deformed, reclusive, and obsessive middle age, hemmed in by leeches and ne&#8217;er-do-wells. In its broad outlines, the story doesn&#8217;t deviate from the standard rock-biopic script: man with a gift becomes man with a burden. But, unlike the rags-to-riches tales of Hollywood, Jackson never finds redemption. There is no long walk down the hallway to adoring fans chanting his name at a final show. Instead, he sinks lower and lower, until death finally finds him, millions of dollars in debt, battling a crippling addiction to painkillers, attended to by a shady doctor who administered the insane doses of anesthesia that Jackson came to rely on in order to sleep.
The banality of his demise is striking. All that really happened is that he was great, and those around him became fixated on how much money he could make. Having never learned how to be a responsible adult, he made terrible choices about how to handle his otherworldly power. The bigger he got, the more people he cut out of his life, until about 1990, when, in Knopper&#8217;s telling,everyone who genuinely cared for the young, pre-&#8220;Thriller&#8221; Jackson had been forcefully denied access to his life. &#8220;Michael began to run perilously low on people who could tell him what not to do,&#8221; Knopper writes.
Perhaps this set of circumstances is what allowed some of Jackson&#8217;s more dubious behaviors to continue unchecked. Everyone knows about his pathological relationship with plastic surgery, which turned him from classic man to plastic man right before our eyes. It is estimated that he underwent dozens of procedures, many of which were botched or of shoddy quality. He lightened his skin and, over the years, his public explanations for doing so varied. He claimed to suffer from vitiligo, which causes skin to lose its pigment in patches&#8212;a condition his autopsy confirmed, though that explanation had always been met with skepticism from the black community. (Vitiligo can arise spontaneously or be inherited; it can also be triggered by bleaching.) Whether or not the disease was behind the dramatic change in his skin color, Jackson surely was motivated, at least in part, by a belief common to Americans: that light skin, thin lips, small noses, and straight hair represent the most perfect example of beauty.
This is the complexity of Jackson&#8217;s relationship with blackness. He had most physical evidence of it sliced out of his body&#8212;but his music and work are filled with an abiding appreciation for the music, art, and deeply powerful soul of black folks. From the &#8220;Nigeria 70&#8221;-inspired breakdown in &#8220;ABC&#8221; to his 1991 solo album, &#8220;Dangerous,&#8221; on which he eschewed the jazz and melodic direction of his earlier work in favor of Teddy Riley&#8217;s urban R. & B. club *****, to outright pro-Africa songs, like &#8220;Liberian Girl,&#8221; Jackson&#8217;s debt to African and African-American culture was always clear. &#8220;Of course he loved being black,&#8221; Riley told Rolling Stone. &#8220;We&#8217;d be in sessions where we&#8217;d just vibe out and he&#8217;d say, &#8216;We are black, and we are the most talented people on the face of the Earth.&#8217; I know this man loved his culture, he loved his race, he loved his people.&#8221; Perhaps even more surprising for the casual M. J. fan is the clear-headed speech he delivered, in 2002, to a majority-black crowd, at Al Sharpton&#8217;s National Action Network, in Harlem. &#8220;I know my race,&#8221; he said. &#8220;I just look in the mirror&#8212;I know I&#8217;m black.&#8221; The crowd erupted.

Your blackness is not a result of your skin but of the experiences that that skin brings to you. It is deepened when you watch Rodney King get beaten nearly to death on television by police officers, as Jackson must have, along with the rest of us, in March, 1991. It is awakened again when you start to think about how many of the black artists who enriched your employer died broke and forgotten (something Jackson spoke about in the Harlem speech). M. J.&#8217;s blackness was something that he couldn&#8217;t escape. This may be why black people continued to accept and root for him despite what, on the surface, appeared to be his rejection of us. No matter what he became, we knew the struggle and pain that made him so. We knew the mid-century racism, and the desperate, dominating father. We knew the whoopings that were part discipline, part violent and selfish abuse, and part twisted grooming for a world that would do its best to deliver an even more savage psychological beatdown. We know that American racism creates such a vast array of insanity among its victims that even Michael Jackson, twisted, bizarre, and impossible to comprehend, makes perfect sense in its context.

But there is more about Jackson that we did not know. You can&#8217;t write about him without acknowledging that he was an accused child molester&#8212;indeed, this sometimes seems to be all that people under the age of thirty know about him. Knopper does his best to examine every piece of evidence in the public record, and concludes that it is more likely that Jackson did not commit the crimes he was accused of. But Knopper&#8217;s judgment is far from conclusive. No matter how it is read, this part of the story is sordid and sickening. One of the parents who levelled charges against Jackson demanded payment and a three-picture screenwriting deal by way of settlement. The mother of another child continued to encourage her son to stay with Jackson long after she claimed to have become suspicious.
Of course, if he was innocent, Jackson&#8217;s own weirdness, his complete inability to understand normal social boundaries, is largely to blame for the public shit show that ensued. In the now-infamous Martin Bashir documentary &#8220;Living with Michael Jackson,&#8221; Jackson volunteers, unprompted, that he loves sharing beds with children. &#8220;I sleep in the bed with all of them,&#8221; he says. &#8220;Then we wake up at, like, dawn, and go in the hot-air balloon. . . . It&#8217;s very right. It&#8217;s very loving. That&#8217;s what the world needs now. More love. More heart.&#8221; Bashir challenges him, asking sarcastically, &#8220;The world needs a man who&#8217;s forty-four sleeping in a bed with children?&#8221; Jackson replies, &#8220;No, you&#8217;re making it all wrong. That&#8217;s wrong, because what&#8217;s wrong with sharing a love?&#8221;
Who is this person? If he is a predator, then there is no way that anything else he did, no matter how moving, can be honored. But what if he is simply a person who believes completely and desperately that genuine and honest love is the only important thing there is? This is what makes us obsess over the horror of Michael Jackson. We must know whether he is an angel or beast. The concerts in front of millions, the humans reduced to tears at the mere sight of his hand, the way his voice can soften the hardest and most frightened parts of us&#8212;these things convince us that he is the former. But maybe that version of him is simply too fanciful, too naïve for us, mired as we are in the muck of our human struggle. Maybe we cannot or will not accept the existence of the kind of unblemished love he claimed to represent.

We have a deep and consuming desire to capture the divine and somehow align it with our human selves. Jackson was a vehicle for something divine, and so, perhaps, we find it pleasing to tether him more firmly to our world, by proving that he is exactly as shoddy and vulgar as we all are.
What if he had been born somewhere else, to a different family? Anywhere else. Say, a small fishing town in Mexico. There he would be, this child. Preternaturally gifted, with an ability to touch people with his voice. A way of imitating love and heartache in song. He would sing for people from an early age. They would love him and celebrate him. He might get special treatment as the one who can make mothers cry and fathers shake their heads slowly and choke back tears. But he would also remain a kid. He would run and play with other children. He would work with the rest of the family on whatever the family did. On the fishing boat with the other young men. At the family store. Maybe running a guesthouse for travellers. He would grow into a man. Maybe he would play songs on guitar. Maybe girls would love him. Maybe he would marry one. Maybe he would have trouble being faithful. Maybe he would drink too much. Maybe he would have kids of his own and teach them the songs he knew growing up. Maybe people would always be touched somewhat by the light in his eyes, but it would fade as he grew. Maybe he would grow old and a little thick around the middle from beer and age. Maybe he would teach his grandchildren to sing songs and weave fishing nets. Maybe they would only be partially interested, having discovered YouTube and Twitter, but their parents would scold the younger ones to respect their grandfather. Maybe, when he died, it would be only the old folks who remembered that he had been a beautiful singer in his younger years.
I wish this had happened to Michael Jackson. I wish he had been talented enough to make people happy, but nothing more. It would mean, of course, that we would never have got to have him, but he would have had himself. I have a son of my own now. He&#8217;s twelve. He recently told me that one of his earliest memories is of coming home from school to find the television on, trumpeting the news that Jackson had died. I can picture my son at that age, wide eyes like dark moons; soft, simple skin; the tiniest and most perfect hands; centuries of soul packed layers deep in his little voice. He reminded us, in fact, of a young Michael Jackson. Probably many children, in a certain light, remind people of a young Michael Jackson. My son remembers walking into the kitchen and seeing his parents, grown, weary, and old, embracing each other and crying as though they were the babies. He did not understand why.

Now I think I do. We were not crying for the loss of Michael Jackson, the Plastic Freak, pained, megalomaniacal, and frail. We were crying for the inevitable loss of all of our childhoods.
<section id="newsletter-signup" style="margin: 0px; padding: 20px 50px 0px 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-bottom-style: none; border-color: initial; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; clear: both; box-sizing: border-box;">SIGN UP FOR THE DAILY NEWSLETTER: THE BEST OF THE NEW YORKER EVERY DAY.
<form action="http://www.newyorker.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php" method="post" name="newsletter-form" id="newsletter-form" novalidate="novalidate" class="newsletter-signup-form" style="margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; position: relative; width: 640px; text-align: center; box-sizing: border-box;"><fieldset class="rounded-border" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; border-radius: 5px; overflow: hidden;"></fieldset></form>
</section>

Last edited:
I've seen that and did a bit of digging. The company that owns the New Yorker (Advance Publications) also owns Vanity Fair (aka Maureen Orth). From what I've seen on his twitter page and conversations he's had with others looks like they took his original piece, did some creative editing (and I use the word "creative" sarcastically) and created this sick little hit piece.

Begs the question why after all this time do they still feel the need to do this? Is he still that much of a threat to them even though the man's been gone for six years? And they call Michael's fans obsessed.

Media is sick and diseased.

Some irritants for me so far (I'm only on page 100):

Bill Davis, the director and producer of the Jacksons variety show says on page 68, "Michael hasn't wanted that series to surface in any way. Because it was the old Michael. It was his old face -- before he had any adjustments made. He didn't want that comparison. Any retrospectives of the Jacksons definitely avoid that particular series."

And on page 94, the author writes about the Terry George phone call.

^^yeah-that's why Michael himself put his old pictures in his own book and his own tours and his own specials.
Sometimes I get the stupidity of the general public. Never get the stupidity of people who actually knew him.

And on page 94, the author writes about the Terry George phone call.

So did the author have the nerve to refer to this tabloid whore and proven liar as a credible source? SMH.

^^This is what I don't get. He can write so well about the making of the Wiz and make it come to life, then sully his work with this kind of trash.

^^This is what I don't get. He can write so well about the making of the Wiz and make it come to life, then sully his work with this kind of trash.

They all commit this mistake. Halperin's book could have been pretty good if he had not felt the need to spice it up with ridiculous gay lover stories that were obviously made up by him (and which is BTW his trademark pet topic in every other book he writes and about every other celebrity too LOL) and with MJ supposedly having alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency which was also one of Halperin's own fabrications. (Yes, the parts of his book that he did not make up were a copy-paste patchwork from other people's works but at least he used the right sources.)

Others ruin their books with lazily picked sources, like it seems to be in this case (or in Randall Sullivan's).

As a fan I don't think any of these books have anything to tell me, to be honest, because fans usually know more about MJ than these authors. Fans also know the people around MJ and know their level of credibiliy or non-credibility that these journalist do not seem to know.

Last edited:
I like reading bios if they have a flair for writing. Some people can write what I felt or experienced.
Or make me be there.
Vogel can do that. Brad S. has the gift in his FB posts.
Tabarelli (first book) makes it come alive.
2nd time in a week someone says Halperins book is pretty good. I never thought about reading it because of his inane interviews.

(Excuse spelling of RTs name. I'm on a phone and had to muddle thru).

2nd time in a week someone says Halperins book is pretty good. I never thought about reading it because of his inane interviews.

Well, it wasn't a recommendation and I did not say it was a good book. I said it could have been good if not for the lies. But there ARE lies. So at the end of the day it is trash, like Sullivan, Kopper and the rest.

Well, it wasn't a recommendation and I did not say it was a good book. I said it could have been good if not for the lies. But there ARE lies. So at the end of the day it is trash, like Sullivan, Kopper and the rest.
I get it. You made it clear. :). I just didn't realize until this last week there was anything redeemable.
Like you said, I think most of us know Michael well enough after all the years to know lies when we read them.

I get it. You made it clear. :). I just didn't realize until this last week there was anything redeemable.
Like you said, I think most of us know Michael well enough after all the years to know lies when we read them.

Actually I find Halperin as an author worse from a certain aspect.

Sullivan and Kopper might have been mislead by certain sources. They might be intellectually lazy and not wisely picking or vetting their sources and they jump to stupid and nonsensical conclusions sometimes (eg. MJ died as a virgin - that while ignoring sources who have actual authority on the subject, such as his ex-wife). That is not good and that does not make them good biographers.

But Halperin pretty deliberately, knowingly and actively made up lies himself. While the others use tabloid sources (which is wrong), Halperin himself is a tabloid source. Which is even worse.

^^Thats the way I think of Haperin. He was on a lot of shows that claimed he "predicted Michael's death."
He apparently was predicting all sorts of maladies. None of which were propofol.

I've said this for years-Michael's real life was wildly interesting without making crap up.

I have read very few books about Michael and I'll probably keep it that way.

Back