MJ's a "businessman"?

I don't know if this was the start of his "businessman career" but I do believe when you start musical publishing firms and production companies that's when you start doing "business" per se.

In 1976, MJ formed MiJac Music, two years later, he and Randy formed Miran Publishing, Jackie had his own publishing too, Siggie Music.

In 1980, the Jacksons formed Peacock Productions. Joseph Jackson had started Joseph Jackson Productions around the same time.

So MJ probably did know a bit before hearing about buying stock from other musicians. So after he fully established him as a musician, he and his attorney looked at what was the most valuable thing to buy and that was the Northern Songs/ATV catalog, which just happened to include 200 of the Beatles' songs but they had other songs in there by other artists. I hate it now how people keep referring to it as "The Beatles catalog" when it's not, the only reason they call it so is because the Beatles signed rights to some of their songs to Northern Songs in 1969 after settling a lawsuit.

MJ also bought the South Carolinian state anthem, I forget what year. I don't know if he gets a lot of money for that but sensing it's a state song he probably does own a lot of stock on it. I wonder which of the catalogs it's under?

MJJ Music could've worked out had MJ moved the label to another distributor and not through Epic. Because it did have some success but at the end it fell out of favor as did the artists who signed with them (3T, Brownstone, etc.).

To quote Jay-Z........."I'm not a business man, im a Business......... Maaaaaaaaan!" ha ha

That summons MJ up, though to be fair, although he's a business man, I wouldn't say he's the best (of late), as great bussiness men and women should be able to pay back their debts.

To quote Jay-Z........."I'm not a business man, im a Business......... Maaaaaaaaan!" ha ha

That summons MJ up, though to be fair, although he's a bussines man, I wouldn't say he's the best (of late), as great bussiness men and women should be able to pay back their debts.

everybody is in debt..if u have a credit card, ur in debt...there's not one wealthy person who doesn't borrow against something, which automatically signals debt. debt isn't necessarily a bad thing...insolvency is..and MJ is not insolvent.

sometimes..going into 'debt' is the smart thing to do. it's how u maneuver the debt..that's the thing. the only source u have to determine what u think about MJ, is his enemy..the media.

That summons MJ up, though to be fair, although he's a business man, I wouldn't say he's the best (of late), as great bussiness men and women should be able to pay back their debts.

LOL! That sounds more like it. He's good with some business. I mean yeah I know the saying "you can't be successful without failing" but folks act like he did the greatest thing in the world by being a businessman, lol. Nah, he did good with musical business ventures. He tried everything else and it bombed.

Do we even know if he's even doing the clothing venture that Christian claims he's a part of, which I never believed.

Ummm?? that is a broad statement.. and not completely fair...

I know great businessmen that get sued for non-payment...JayZ is one of the them.. and he is listed at #1 on Forbes.,.

LOL! That sounds more like it. He's good with some business. I mean yeah I know the saying "you can't be successful without failing" but folks act like he did the greatest thing in the world by being a businessman, lol. Nah, he did good with musical business ventures. He tried everything else and it bombed.

Do we even know if he's even doing the clothing venture that Christian claims he's a part of, which I never believed.

but do we know if he really bombed..or..did everybody and their brother and sister approach him and offer to use his name to make new things..and he didn't have time to nod or shake his head? and people are calling that 'bombing'?

he's a musical artist.. he went into to the music industry and became a great success at it.........I guess thats part of the reason there is an MJJ forum to discuss.. there is some relevance there..

and other prob with some assumptions that Michael never finishes or succeeds in deals is that many times other people make claims (like Christian).. that were never confirmed by Michael himself.. if when we don't see it come to fruition .. we tend to just blame Michael for "another failed venture"...

when we didn't even know the facts in the 1st place....

Last edited:
everybody is in debt..if u have a credit card, ur in debt...there's not one wealthy person who doesn't borrow against something, which automatically signals debt. debt isn't necessarily a bad thing...insolvency is..and MJ is not insolvent.

sometimes..going into 'debt' is the smart thing to do. it's how u maneuver the debt..that's the thing. the only source u have to determine what u think about MJ, is his enemy..the media.

Michael cannot even hire an appropriate spokesperson nevermind manage his accounts and stay on top of his finances of recent years. It's all about prioritising ones wealth. It's not okay to be 'in the red' in buisiness for a prolonged period, you need to be acumulating surplice and I believe that he isn't in that position anymore for a variety of different reasons, though I am sure it's his choice. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he declared bankruptcy soon or one of the Jackson brothers, people who I'd also say are not very suavé buisness men either.

Michael cannot even hire an appropriate spokesperson nevermind manage his accounts and stay on top of his finances of recent years. It's all about prioritising ones wealth. It's not okay to be 'in the red' in buisiness for a prolonged period, you need to be acumulating surplice and I believe that he isn't in that position anymore for a variety of different reasons, though I am sure it's his choice. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he declared bankruptcy soon or one of the Jackson brothers, people who I'd also say are not very suavé buisness men either.

it is so easy to type how this celeb hasn't done this or that.. from a keyboard... when you have no idea of the complications of "their" lives...

so .. "MIchael can not even hire an appropirate spokesperson"... or "stay on top of his finances"...ummm"??... I wouldn't be surprise if you call MIchael a "morron" too.. "he so dubb"""..."he can't even tie his shoe"....

is your name incorporated...........did you make $35mil last year without working one day?

Last edited:
And wheres Michael Jackson listed on Forbes???????

:mello:

I didn't say Michael was listed in Forbes.. JayZ is listed in Forbes and was sued by employees for non-payment.

Forbes print what the PR companies of celebs send them... and not all celebs send their info to Forbes..

and just becuz Michael isn't in Forbes does not mean he is living under the dirt with no money in bank...

Last edited:
it is so easy to type how this celeb hasn't done this or that.. from a keyboard... when you have no idea of the complications of "their" lives...

so .. "MIchael can not even ire an appropirate spokesperson"... or "stay on top of his finances"...ummm"??... I wouldn't be surprise if you call MIchael a "morron" too.. "he so dubb"""..."he can't even tye his shoe"....

is your name incorporated...........did you make $35mil last year without working one day?

Don't take it personally. I think he isn't as good a business man as he once was or at least used to be, just like I don't believe his farts smell of pot popourri. He can't even pull off the release of charity singles anymore.

Okay so he made what, £29 million last year in revenue. Only a few quid more than me :D, however my point is this, last year Elvis Presley made $52 million in the past year and he's dead. If MJ was so great then he'd be making this type of money now whilst he's alive like many big names such as Madonna, Justin Timberlake (earning $44 million in 2007), P.Diddy, Jay-Z, Sir Paul McCartney etc, as Michael Jackon is better than all of them IMO.

However, I just feel he's lost his touch a bit on the business side that's all and that most of his money he makes nowadays is from deals he clenched back in the day and not of late, most of which I'd believe are music releated only.

So, if this is a question of whether MJ is a business man or not, he most certinaly is, but if it's a question of whether he's a good business man or not, I'd say not anymore, though there's always room for improvement.

Seány. :cheeky:

Don't take it personally. I think he isn't as good a business man as he once was or at least used to be, just like I don't believe his farts smell of pot popourri. He can't even pull off the release of charity singles anymore.

Okay so he made what, £29 million last year in revenue. Only a few quid more than me :D, however my point is this, last year Elvis Presley made $52 million in the past year and he's dead. If MJ was so great then he'd be making this type of money now whilst he's alive like many big names such as Madonna, Justin Timberlake (earning $44 million in 2007), P.Diddy, Jay-Z, Sir Paul McCartney etc, as Michael Jackon is better than all of them IMO.

However, I just feel he's lost his touch a bit on the business side that's all and that most of his money he makes nowadays is from deals he clenched back in the day and not of late, most of which I'd believe are music releated only.

So, if this is a question of whether MJ is a business man or not, he most certinaly is, but if it's a question of whether he's a good business man or not, I'd say not anymore, though there's always room for improvement.

Seány. :cheeky:

I don't take it personally and I hear what you are saying.........but..... IMO.. he has earned the right to not be "hustling".. at this stage like he did in his 20's.......................he was tireless... in those days...
he was on the right side of history.. to do what he did......................

to think the thing he did over 20 years ago are paying millions nows is a feit unto itself.. all those living artist you mentioned only wish they could do that.. even Madonna...................still have to "hustle" to keep her lifestyle becuz she doesn't have the luxury of still getting paid on her earlier hits as Michael does... and all power to her..

most of t hose artist you mentioned.. had to tour.. release albums.. do interviews.. etc to make that money...

Mike has barely done anything workwise to earn that £29 mil.. last year,,

and you do realize that £29 mil.. is close to $55 mil .. which is more that what you mentioned Elvis made last year as a dead artist...

u only think he doesn't have a spokesperson cus u don't hear everything u wanna hear..and we're getting into discussing forbidden material..and when Elvis makes 55 mill..that's MJ's money. MJ owns Elvis' music.

why do u believe everything the media says?

u only think he doesn't have a spokesperson cus u don't hear everything u wanna hear..and we're getting into discussing forbidden material..and when elvis makes 55 mill..that's mj's money. Mj owns elvis' music.

why do u believe everything the media says?

good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I wonder if he makes money off samples... I guess he doesn't really because he doesn't own the rights. Most of the samples come from his Motown years, I think. Of course his 1979-1988 material is still under Sony's control until 2015. So he can stand to make some money off of that once it's returned to him.

here's my question..lol...i've been counting the minutes...why do these threads get posted so we can get in trouble for responding to them? lol:fortuneteller:

I wonder if he makes money off samples... I guess he doesn't really because he doesn't own the rights. Most of the samples come from his Motown years, I think. Of course his 1979-1988 material is still under Sony's control until 2015. So he can stand to make some money off of that once it's returned to him.

I does if it is a song written or composed by him, he does get royalities for the samples.

I don't take it personally and I hear what you are saying.........but..... IMO.. he has earned the right to not be "hustling".. at this stage like he did in his 20's.......................he was tireless... in those days...
he was on the right side of history.. to do what he did......................

to think the thing he did over 20 years ago are paying millions nows is a feit unto itself.. all those living artist you mentioned only wish they could do that.. even Madonna...................still have to "hustle" to keep her lifestyle becuz she doesn't have the luxury of still getting paid on her earlier hits as Michael does... and all power to her..

most of t hose artist you mentioned.. had to tour.. release albums.. do interviews.. etc to make that money...

Mike has barely done anything workwise to earn that £29 mil.. last year,,

and you do realize that £29 mil.. is close to $55 mil .. which is more that what you mentioned Elvis made last year as a dead artist...

Why everyone forgets Madonna lost so many million with her label Maverik that she was sued by Warner and she had to close her business down and pay back the major with her latest albums.

Everyone forgets that from the sum the paper reports an artist has earned, you have to calculate that if the album has samples inside the you have half of the incomes, casue the rest goes to those who wrote the orginal tracks, then you have to pay the producer of the album then you have to substract all the costs for the avertising the label spent for the album's pbblicity, and so on...

usually what an artist really earn is the 30% - 20% , after taxes also the 15% of the sum papers are reporting.

We don't know what the exact situation is with Michael's debts, Michael may or may not have problems paying back what he alledgedly owes.

Sony have no control over Michael's music from 1979-88. Michael now owns the masters to all of his albums from Off The Wall to Invincible to Thriller25 etc, plus he owns all of his music videos that are sold on iTunes except for 2 or 3 videos. Just go to iTunes and you will see that all of Michael's albums are licensed to MJJ Productions.Inc, not Sony BMG Entertainments as The Jacksons albums are.

Last edited:
LMAO.

Thank you for the posta guys!

I did not know this thread would become so big haha.

Back